• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

KOD, Where did you see the Bravo for the 457? I don't see it on their website.

Reactions: JKW70
My NRL22 base class CZ 457 ProVarmint with Swampfox Patriot scope, magpul bipod and wiebad bag. A killer little rig.

IMG_20200122_074658_488.jpg

My NRL22 base class CZ 457 ProVarmint with Swampfox Patriot scope, magpul bipod and wiebad bag. A killer little rig.

View attachment 7235411

Hello ACO, Good looking rig. May I suggest the AREA 419 bolt knob. It extends the lever arm making it much nicer to cycle the bolt. I just picked up the CZ 457 At-One today and it's trigger is set to 14 oz.

I have had good luck with SK rifle match. What type of ammo are you using?
Shawn

Attachments

• DSC00108.JPG
    DSC00108.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC00106.JPG
    DSC00106.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC00114.JPG
    DSC00114.JPG
    388.3 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC00100.JPG
    DSC00100.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 106
Has anyone tried one of the Whistle Pig barrels on either the 455 or 457? My 457 Pro Varmint is incredibly accurate but my son will be using it for precision rimfire matches this year. Having a lighter barrel will make it much easier for him to manage. I don’t mind trading off a little accuracy for manageability. That said, I don’t want to put the cash into a barrel if we will just have to go back the the factory barrel for matches Because the light weight barrel will not shoo. The only rifles you really hear about them on are 10/22’s. Is there another company out there making a light weight barrel for the CZ besides Proof? I just don’t see myself spending more on the barrel than the rifle.

Hello ACO, Good looking rig. May I suggest the AREA 419 bolt knob. It extends the lever arm making it much nicer to cycle the bolt. I just picked up the CZ 457 At-One today and it's trigger is set to 14 oz.

I have had good luck with SK rifle match. What type of ammo are you using?
Shawn

Modifications, such as a bolt knob, are not allowed in NRL22 base class.

I run SK Standard Plus. I tested nearly everything Midway offered for 22 ammo. The SK Stand+ was the best mix of price and incredible accuracy for my rifle. Funny enough, both of my KIDD 10/22’s and my CZ455 love the Standard Plus too.

Has anyone tried one of the Whistle Pig barrels on either the 455 or 457? My 457 Pro Varmint is incredibly accurate but my son will be using it for precision rimfire matches this year. Having a lighter barrel will make it much easier for him to manage. I don’t mind trading off a little accuracy for manageability. That said, I don’t want to put the cash into a barrel if we will just have to go back the the factory barrel for matches Because the light weight barrel will not shoo. The only rifles you really hear about them on are 10/22’s. Is there another company out there making a light weight barrel for the CZ besides Proof? I just don’t see myself spending more on the barrel than the rifle.

If your CZ barrel is shooting great I would not change it. CZ's have a factory barrel accuracy lottery, some good, some bad, some great and some suck. The heavy barrels have a better reputation for accuracy for stock CZ's, the lighter weight profile ones seem to suffer more in this regard from personal experience and research. Even a "upgraded" aftermarket barrel can have issues or not perform to expectations as 22lr is so finicky and proper head spacing is critical for that final bit of accuracy.

Proof is pricey, if you really want a proof barrel christensen arms has a 10/22 mag fed bolt action with triggertech and proof components displayed at shot show. They might even make it this year. IF weight is the driving factor, I'd look at a CZ457 scout rifle

CZ457 scout I put in a boyd's AT-1 stock. Shoots ok, not spectacular but is fairly lightweight.

I run SK Standard Plus. I tested nearly everything Midway offered for 22 ammo. The SK Stand+ was the best mix of price and incredible accuracy for my rifle. Funny enough, both of my KIDD 10/22’s and my CZ455 love the Standard Plus too.

I never considered the NRL rules as I don't do that yet. It looks like a lot of fun. It's a good thing I keep all of my factory equipment. LoL

Shawn

Color me happy. ?

I believe I just found my replacement barrel for the 457. After talking with Al at MPA for 30+ minutes it's a no brainer not to go with their barrel as they do sell and install their barrel on your 457 action. For $400 they will sell the barrel, install it and set the headspace for you. They use an Anschutz chamber, thread the end, you can get it polished SS or black and it's hand lapped. Most aftermarket barrels cost $400 or more, and MPA will sell you the barrel with your options and set the headspace for you. Installation as we know is not a big deal but setting the headspace without using shims is a pretty nice extra for the price. Just waiting for the form from Al to list all my options I want. Things are looking up for the 457 now.

Color me happy. ?

I believe I just found my replacement barrel for the 457. After talking with Al at MPA for 30+ minutes it's a no brainer not to go with their barrel as they do sell and install their barrel on your 457 action. For $400 they will sell the barrel, install it and set the headspace for you. They use an Anschutz chamber, thread the end, you can get it polished SS or black and it's hand lapped. Most aftermarket barrels cost $400 or more, and MPA will sell you the barrel with your options and set the headspace for you. Installation as we know is not a big deal but setting the headspace without using shims is a pretty nice extra for the price. Just waiting for the form from Al to list all my options I want. Things are looking up for the 457 now.

Hey KOD,
In entry #912 you show a CZ, is that the one you are going to re-bbl?

Color me happy. ?

Wow, that is a killer deal. I have an MPA chassis coming in for my 457. I may be rebarreled it with them as well.

Your MPA chassis looks so much better !! Now that you have one..... do you feel that the vertical grip is the best way to go?
Vertical grip or very close to it is the only way for me. That's one reason I like the Bravo and Bergara style. Only one that feels kind of odd is the MDT grip. It is probably my way of shooting/holding it but seems like the bottom of the grip is leaning forward.

Vertical grip or very close to it is the only way for me. That's one reason I like the Bravo and Bergara style. Only one that feels kind of odd is the MDT grip. It is probably my way of shooting/holding it but seems like the bottom of the grip is leaning forward.

Some people must like the MDT grips. Vudoo was pushing it. I kept my angled grip. I don't wrap my thumb around my grip. My entire hand stays on the right hand side. I don't want to influence the rifle.
When I used to shoot my bow I did not grip the riser at all. I had a leash on my wrist and let the bow get pulled into the crotch of my hand while the bow was drawn back. When you grip the bow, you twist it and torque it.

I'm the same way with my grip. Actually, to try and keep the same grip even for my wood stock rifles I try to duplicate the vertical grip hold. Sometimes I barely put pressure on my grip and only use the tips of my fingers in the front of the grip. I have learned, whatever you do, do it consistently.

I called MPA and talked with Al. He said he got my email but hasn't had time to respond. He said after shot show he had a lot of catching up to do and he was going to Texas "next week" I believe for his first match of the year. I asked if I could drive my receiver down to him since I was less than 2 hours away and he said that was fine. According to how busy he is I believe I will do that.

If your CZ barrel is shooting great I would not change it. CZ's have a factory barrel accuracy lottery, some good, some bad, some great and some suck. The heavy barrels have a better reputation for accuracy for stock CZ's, the lighter weight profile ones seem to suffer more in this regard from personal experience and research. Even a "upgraded" aftermarket barrel can have issues or not perform to expectations as 22lr is so finicky and proper head spacing is critical for that final bit of accuracy.

Proof is pricey, if you really want a proof barrel christensen arms has a 10/22 mag fed bolt action with triggertech and proof components displayed at shot show. They might even make it this year. IF weight is the driving factor, I'd look at a CZ457 scout rifle

CZ457 scout I put in a boyd's AT-1 stock. Shoots ok, not spectacular but is fairly lightweight.

The barrel on the christensen Ranger isn’t a proof barrel. It’s a christensen barrel

See my review of this barrel I did. Not on par with Bartlein or Keystone custom fit barrels accuracy wise...especially at 100 yards and farther and picky with ammo that chamber likes.
I'll look for it but honestly, just comparing one, as in a quantity of 1 barrel, isn't valid statistic wise. On the other hand if an accuracy test was performed with 10 different types of ammo with 10 MPA barrels, 10 Bartlein barrels and 10 Keystone barrels and the MPA consistently finished 3rd now that would be creditable.

How did you test?

I'll look for it but honestly, just comparing one, as in a quantity of 1 barrel, isn't valid statistic wise. On the other hand if an accuracy test was performed with 10 different types of ammo with 10 MPA barrels, 10 Bartlein barrels and 10 Keystone barrels and the MPA consistently finished 3rd now that would be creditable.

How did you test?

When a company sends a barrel specifically foena review, has you send them your action so they can custom fit it and it performs the way it did....my statements stand.

How did I test? The same way I test every other barrel. Lot after kot of all the top match ammo, 50yd 5x5, 100yd. Random consistent flyers, very picky on ammo.

Better than my factory CZ barrel, but not even close to the consistent accuracy of the multiple Bartlein and Keystone barrels I've tested.

Where does it say in the rules that you cannot replace the bolt knob on a base class rifle? I can't find it anywhere in the NRL22 rules...

When a company sends a barrel specifically foena review, has you send them your action so they can custom fit it and it performs the way it did....my statements stand.

How did I test? The same way I test every other barrel. Lot after kot of all the top match ammo, 50yd 5x5, 100yd. Random consistent flyers, very picky on ammo.

Better than my factory CZ barrel, but not even close to the consistent accuracy of the multiple Bartlein and Keystone barrels I've tested.
Hmm, so based on your statement, you are assuming/saying ALL MPA barrels are not as accurate as the Bartlein or Keystone for a custom fit 457; and you base this on shooting just one MPA barrel? All I can do is laugh at that statement. What you should have said is, "I tested a MPA barrel and the barrel I tested was not as accurate as the bartlein or Keystone barrels". But, the way you said it you make it sound like all MPA barrels are not as accurate as Bartlein or Keystone.

Well, not that it matters to you but you have lost a lot of credibility with me based on your assumption and statement. Probably lost some credibility with other readers too but they won't say anything. It's hard to make a blanket statement without data to back it up.

Hmm, so based on your statement, you are assuming/saying ALL MPA barrels are not as accurate as the Bartlein or Keystone for a custom fit 457; and you base this on shooting just one MPA barrel? All I can do is laugh at that statement. What you should have said is, "I tested a MPA barrel and the barrel I tested was not as accurate as the bartlein or Keystone barrels". But, the way you said it you make it sound like all MPA barrels are not as accurate as Bartlein or Keystone.

Well, not that it matters to you but you have lost a lot of credibility with me based on your assumption and statement. Probably lost some credibility with other readers too but they won't say anything. It's hard to make a blanket statement without data to back it up.

Lmfao. I said what I said. I dont give a shit how you read it. Your credibility statement means nothing to me. Your statements are laughable at best. Make your own statements but DO NOT put words in my fucking mouth. Never did I say all anything. You've been warned. I said see my review of THIS barrel. It was not as accurate as the Keystone or Bartlein. Those are about as factual and accurate as it gets. Go look at all 3 of those reviews.

So let me get this straight. I need to buy 10 barrels from a company to make sure I get a barrel to meet my expectations of a full custom 22lr??? Your experience is evident in your statements. I'll make sure I let every barrel company I have relationships with know that KissofDeath says I will not be able to accurately review there product unless you send me 10 samples. Hahaha. Go.fuck yourself

Last edited:
Reactions: bluebu70
Maybe MPA will send Padom 5 ba22 rifles to test. If so I have dibbs on the one that shoots the best when Padom is done with it. Lol

A friend of mine Kissofdeath had one of these and had nothing but trouble! Have you had any issues?
Great looking by the way!

Not sure what you’re referring to...

Rifle? We have MANY cz’s at my local clubs. Haven’t seen one have trouble. All run like champs. I own multiple CZ’s.

Scope? I wouldn’t trade my Swampfox scopes for any sub $1500 Athlon or Vortex. Brighter, cleaner and all around better. Again, like my CZ’s, I own multiple Swampfox scopes.

Where does it say in the rules that you cannot replace the bolt knob on a base class rifle? I can't find it anywhere in the NRL22 rules...

I was told in the Facebook page that those mods are not allowed... We discussed this topic at our local club and we agreed that they should be allowed, but not for free. The price is factored in. I‘m close enough to the cap that any unnecessary items like a bolt knob would push me over.

Not sure what you’re referring to...

Rifle? We have MANY cz’s at my local clubs. Haven’t seen one have trouble. All run like champs. I own multiple CZ’s.

Scope? I wouldn’t trade my Swampfox scopes for any sub $1500 Athlon or Vortex. Brighter, cleaner and all around better. Again, like my CZ’s, I own multiple Swampfox scopes.

I have the SF Kentucky long range and compared it to the Athlon Midas btr 4.5-27 and vortex SE 3-18 sfp. Overall the SF is a better scope but it is longer and possibly heavier by slight amount.

glass clarity it is better than both but the Athlon is very close

eyebox at any power matching the other two it is better. Locking turrets is nice and probably the one area which is very subjective is the reticle. I might prefer the Athlon reticle more than the SF reticle.
Got the Riton mod 7, 5-25 to compare it to also (Japanese glass).

Here’s mine. Haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet but the squirrels are going to be in trouble in the near future...

CZ457 VPT
Lilja .17 HMR barrel 20.5”
Area 419 rail and knob
Seekins medium rings
Athlon Midas Tac 6-24View attachment 7079797
This is my perfect rimfire.. So I'm sure I'm going to catch some hell for this but... I purchased vudoo from Longbow53 on here. Love the rifle but didn't shoot it enough to justify having it. So Pete is buying it back from me since I don't do it justice. Going to pick me up one of these in a 17hmr for shooting ground squirrels and jack rabbits with the kids. And use the rest of the money to fund my new Mathew vxr 31.5" with a stone riser and black limbs :)

What kind of accuracy are you guys seeing in the .17hmr? That's the route I'm thinking I wanna go.

Hello Dog,
I think you will be pleased with your 457 if you purchase one. I cant speak to the .177 cal but my three 457s are very nice. I would highly recommend lapping the trigger sear and replacing the trigger spring. It is a very simple trigger to work on. My triggers are down to 11 oz. and still safe. I would also change out the bolt knob. A great choice is the AREA 419 type because it lengths the lever arm and just feels good in the fingers.

Shawn

Attachments

• DSC00108.JPG
    DSC00108.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC00106.JPG
    DSC00106.JPG
    333.6 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC00117.JPG
    DSC00117.JPG
    320.2 KB · Views: 131
  • DSC00131.JPG
    DSC00131.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 126
  • DSC00135.JPG
    DSC00135.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC00140.JPG
    DSC00140.JPG
    659.9 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC00072.JPG
    DSC00072.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC00100.JPG
    DSC00100.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Hello Dog,
I think you will be pleased with your 457 if you purchase one. I cant speak to the .177 cal but my three 457s are very nice. I would highly recommend lapping the trigger sear and replacing the trigger spring. It is a very simple trigger to work on. My triggers are down to 11 oz. and still safe. I would also change out the bolt knob. A great choice is the AREA 419 type because it lengths the lever arm and just feels good in the fingers.

Shawn

Sounds like a good place to start. I'm trying to decide on the 419 rail or bscar rail. Can't seem to find the 16.5" version in the one varmint model in the 17 hmr. So I'll probably grab a 20.5" model and have the barrel threaded for my suppressor.

Sounds like a good place to start. I'm trying to decide on the 419 rail or bscar rail. Can't seem to find the 16.5" version in the one varmint model in the 17 hmr. So I'll probably grab a 20.5" model and have the barrel threaded for my suppressor.

Dog,
For me, the problem with the bscar and the DIP rail are that they drive set screws into the receiver. I have been told to put number 8 shot into the set screw holes to prevent divots. I pay the extra money for the 419 type because it clamps onto the dovetails. I just picked up this Sako Quad Range today. It's good for me that AREA 419 makes a rail for the Sako Quad as well as the CZ 457.

Attachments

• DSC00159.JPG
    DSC00159.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Sako Quad Scope Base 100.00.jpg
    Sako Quad Scope Base 100.00.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00146.JPG
    DSC00146.JPG
    368.9 KB · Views: 91
  • DSC00148.JPG
    DSC00148.JPG
    340.2 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC00149.JPG
    DSC00149.JPG
    377.5 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC00150.JPG
    DSC00150.JPG
    312.8 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC00160.JPG
    DSC00160.JPG
    366.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Gotcha that makes sense. Thanks for the info, I didn't realize the difference in mounting the rails.

I just got a 16" cz 457 precision trainer. I'm really excited to go shoot it and see how it does.

I really want to put an adjustable cheek rest on this manners stock, anyone else retrofitted an a adjustable cheek piece to the manners carbon fiber stock?

I kinda want to use a clamping one vs a kydex one that I drill through the stock with if possible

goneballistic - I used a BScar 25 MOA scope rail on my 457 VPT, and with low rings, either the Midas TAC I originally had on this rifle, or the Cronus I have on it now - both in TPS TSR low rings - make me feel that I don't really need a higher comb on the Manners stock. Everyone's face fits a stock differently, and shooters have their preferences, but I'm good with my VPT just the way it is... I see no downside to using the set screw attachment of the BScar or DIP rails; though the Area 419 scope rail has some features that some find very attractive, I'm more than satisfied with the BScar rails I have on all three of my 457s.

Ordered a Lilja .17 hmr barrel for my CZ457 MTR

will post pics once it’s in:)

anyone have one of those Lilja .17 hmr barrels? What ammo they tend to like? Any range reports?

That is exactly what I built, and posted a picture with a description (#907). Didn't get any pictures of the targets from last weekend, but @50yds using Hornady 17gr Varmint Express, its a tight group

That is exactly what I built, and posted a picture with a description (#907). Didn't get any pictures of the targets from last weekend, but @50yds using Hornady 17gr Varmint Express, its a tight group

What kind of groups did your get with the factory barrel verses the lilja barrel?

[QUOTE="goneballistic, post: 8280608, member: 12342"]
I just got a 16" cz 457 precision trainer. I'm really excited to go shoot it and see how it does.

I really want to put an adjustable cheek rest on this manners stock, anyone else retrofitted an a adjustable cheek piece to the manners carbon fiber stock?

I kinda want to use a clamping one vs a kydex one that I drill through the stock with if possible
[/QUOTE]

Ballistic,
I just had a thought for your problem. Drilling holes in your stock would suck so my alternative that I offer to you is this:
Go to McMaster Carr and do a serch for 94935K17. It is for some "snap together fastener."
It is basically super Velcro !! It would certainly grab with enough force and it's design would prevent your cheek piece from moving at all. It can be repositioned like Velcro but it is a much different product. 3M makes it and it is called Dual Lock. I have also bought it at Radio Shack, Home depot and Lowes but I know what it looks like. The photo called "dual_lock" is the way you will see it at your local stores.
It is really some fantastic stuff !! Both side of the material are the same shape and the little heads interconnect firmly. Once your introduced to it, you will find plenty of uses for it. I have included a photo of stem densities but you dot need to know that. You will end up with 170 or 250 and either will work great. The advantage to going to McMaster Carr is that you can get different widths and lengths.

With all of the cheek pieces that I have seen tapped on, I'm surprised at myself for not thinking of this sooner for my fellow shooter. I just don't have that issue... my stuff is adjustable. ;-)

Please give it a look
Shawn

Attachments

• dual_lock.jpg
    dual_lock.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 78
  • OIPC4UBXPFT.jpg
    OIPC4UBXPFT.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 78
  • untitled.png
    untitled.png
    68.8 KB · Views: 73