• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

Tonight I ordered a second KRG Bravo Chassis, this is to replace the Boyd At-One stock on newer my CZ 457 At-One Varmint.

What did you use for shims? I used .006, R50s went fine but Eley 10x and match were hard getting fired cases extrated ? Now went to .008, waiting for a warmer day. I'm new, any help from anyone is greatly appreciated ! I own 2 CZ 457 one has a bad bolt guide. Anyone else had same problem?
I used a micrometer to measure my 457 receiver for setting the depth for my Lilja barrel. I can't remember the shim combination, but setting the headspace to 0.040 solved the extraction problem I was having with it set at 0.043. Looking at a post I made on Rimfire Central I think I used a shim combination for .006. RWS variants work fine, but it was a little hard closing the bolt with Eley Club.

Reactions: fredfish
I used a micrometer to measure my 457 receiver for setting the depth for my Lilja barrel. I can't remember the shim combination, but setting the headspace to 0.040 solved the extraction problem I was having with it set at 0.043. Looking at a post I made on Rimfire Central I think I used a shim combination for .006. RWS variants work fine, but it was a little hard closing the bolt with Eley Club.
I went down to .005 for shims which I think sets HS for .040. It worked fine yesterday with 1 ejecting problem with Eley match.I sanded down barrel channel a little, put limbsaver on barrel and back to range. R50 were flawless, CCI was hard closing bolt and wouldn't eject all 3. Federal UM was no problem for all 7. Eley match which I want for that rifle was terrible today from the first shot that didn't want to eject. I think I went through 15 with 4 extracting properly. Came home and examined bolt, I couldn't find anything wrong. Time to talk to Carson? R50 averaged about 1moa today compared to about 1.25moa yesterday (limb saver).

I went down to .005 for shims which I think sets HS for .040. It worked fine yesterday with 1 ejecting problem with Eley match.I sanded down barrel channel a little, put limbsaver on barrel and back to range. R50 were flawless, CCI was hard closing bolt and wouldn't eject all 3. Federal UM was no problem for all 7. Eley match which I want for that rifle was terrible today from the first shot that didn't want to eject. I think I went through 15 with 4 extracting properly. Came home and examined bolt, I couldn't find anything wrong. Time to talk to Carson? R50 averaged about 1moa today compared to about 1.25moa yesterday (limb saver).
While I never measured them myself, CCI standards are reported to have thick rims which can give extraction/ejection hic-ups in some rifles.. I can tell you that they are the ONLY round to give me issues with positive extraction in my Savage B22 Precision. Fortunately, they are not the most accurate in this rifle so there is no need to chase that ghoul.

Last edited:
from what i read, the 457s have superb triggers unlike the 452 where you either had to play with springs until you got something decent. i always wanted one of them. They are super accurate right out of the box.
My 457 trigger was just OK. I couldn’t get it under 3lbs. I guess for most things that is OK, and for a factory trigger I understand why they wouldn’t go lower. Not much creep in it and i worked it up so that it was acceptable, but for precision work, I ordered Timney triggers for my 457 projects. Just got them today- new flat version of the Timney457 trigger.

6DB99659-A188-4879-BB39-D6A35C40C88F.jpeg

It's really easy to mod a 457 trigger to go light. But if timney, or better yet triggertech, would make a two stage, I'd be all over that in an instant.

It's really easy to mod a 457 trigger to go light. But if timney, or better yet triggertech, would make a two stage, I'd be all over that in an instant.
Are you talking about going beyond the use of the set screw for weight? I couldn’t get it below 3lbs, and that was with unscrewing the damn thing.

Are you talking about going beyond the use of the set screw for weight? I couldn’t get it below 3lbs, and that was with unscrewing the damn thing.
Mine was the same way. I could remove the set screw and it was still just under 3 lbs.

Really easy to remove the pivot pin. People say they can use brute force and pound it out, but if you grind a bit of the peen off one side, it comes out easy. Remove stock spring, replace with one of these from McMaster Carr. $6 for a pack of 12.
Heavy 9657K613 Much lighter than the stock spring. I didn't try them.
Medium 9657K12 This is what I used and is popular with others. Pull weight is in the can range from ~8 oz to a little over a pound depending on preload adjustment.
Light 965K11 Can't help but think this would be too light. Maybe for benchrest.

Shoulder bolt to replace trigger pin, $5:
91273A325 Requires a 3mm nut to go with it. Stock will need to be relieved slightly for the nut.

and just FYI, Shims for the bolt to reduce headspace. The OD needs trimmed slightly (otherwise will snag ejector), very easy to do with ordinary scissors.
.005" brass 92678A231
.002" brass 92678A161
steel shim set, 3088A931

Reactions: YeaVOLT
I don't doubt it. It gets rave reviews. I didn't see a price on his site, I probably missed it. Are they $200 like the 455 2 stage?
Yes, I think that includes shipping. I got mine a few months so I don’t remember. Mine is set up for BR, single stage 3oz. It’s just a matter of adjusting.

Reactions: Manning5R
I was able to get two 457 triggers down to 8 and 11 ounces using the McMasterCarr 965K611 spring. I recently got a BSCAR trigger in a 3oz. single stage. I’ll buy another when my name rolls back around on the list one day. It’s an awesome trigger. I gave $200 for mine shipped.

Reactions: WeeHooker
I had 1.234 on depth, 1.191 on insert? length for headspace .043 is that right? Somewhere, maybe this thread CZ sets headspace at .046, I'm trying to figure all this out. On triggers- CZ down to under 6oz (cut spring), Timney 3-4oz.

FWIW, a simple 5 min spring change can get the 457 trigger down to 12-20 oz . I've done all 3 of my 457's to date and am 95% happy with them. That said, I was going to try a Timney in my latest build but was backordered. They were out of stock near everywhere I looked. You were lucky to get them. I just did the rifle that was destined for last night. It's set right at 15 oz.

Last edited:
More on smashed solder method please...
I just took a short piece of 0.062 rosin core solder, formed it into a "U" the same diameter of the rim of a cartridge, stuck it to the bolt with grease, closed the bolt. The outer edge of solder will get smashed and become the thickness of the headspace. Measure carefully with calipers. Kinda sorta similar to using plastigauge, but I couldn't find my old stash of plastigauge.

Does anyone have measurements for the .22lr magazine spacer pin? I’m collecting parts for a 457 chassis build, I’ve got an extended mag release and will be getting an IBI barrel. I haven’t actually picked up a 457 yet, if I can find one of those pins at McMaster-Carr when I order a trigger spring I could go with a .17 or .22mag and have the option of a switch barrel. Thanks

Does anyone have measurements for the .22lr magazine spacer pin? I’m collecting parts for a 457 chassis build, I’ve got an extended mag release and will be getting an IBI barrel. I haven’t actually picked up a 457 yet, if I can find one of those pins at McMaster-Carr when I order a trigger spring I could go with a .17 or .22mag and have the option of a switch barrel. Thanks
You can order the pin and spacer from the CZ store or Pete's Pillars (all metal DIP brand) on Ebay. I just converted a .17 hmr to .22lr with the DIP kit and it's nice quality. Sorry, I don't have it handy to measure. The pin fit is pretty critical and precise . I'd be surprised if there was an exact match off MC to be honest.

I just got another one of these in, 3oz., single stage. I really like these. It makes a world of difference when shooting bench rest disciplines.
3FD7B9DE-31D1-444A-8D2D-E5A6E2F2F88E.jpeg

So I had my CZ build apart last night to install an extended mag release so I took a measurement on the mag spacer pin too. It's .158" x .600". No taper on the ends. Whatever pin you came up with would have to be spot on. For the $6, I'd say just order the factory part when you get the spacer itself. hth.

I just took a short piece of 0.062 rosin core solder, formed it into a "U" the same diameter of the rim of a cartridge, stuck it to the bolt with grease, closed the bolt. The outer edge of solder will get smashed and become the thickness of the headspace. Measure carefully with calipers. Kinda sorta similar to using plastigauge, but I couldn't find my old stash of plastigauge.
I couldn't close bolt all the way. Doing something wrong again? Maybe pics.?

Finally got my Element Helix mounted and zeroed. Did some ammo testing. SK Biathlon Sport really shined at 100 yards…..5 shots

2BB7A802-CD78-4513-B88D-CABE253307FE.jpeg

Happy with the look and performance. Was a good trade for a couple days weekend work.

(Sorry….no uodated pic with optic yet)
A3F3874E-034D-4E9F-94C3-718B27F6E554.jpeg

Got an Anarchy Outdoor Titanium bolt knob to Cerakote and install. Oh yeah, and little guy was super quiet with the Tac Sol Axiom suppressor. Can’t wait to stretch it out with the SK Biathlon. Looking like fun. Wasn’t even looking for a bolt 22. Mainly been shooting a modded 10/22 with Volquartsen barrel, Tac Sol X-Ring SBX and Kidd Supergrade. This shoots considerably better. I was expecting good things from reading about the CZ’s but didn't expect this level of accuracy or consistency. The Lapua X-act and SK Pistol shot well too, but not like the Biathlon. Good thing I have a brick.

Reactions: sparkyv and lash
Hmm. Obviously I had to use a little force, but it wasn't hard. Couple things I can think of. I have real lead solder. Not the lead free stuff. Lead is softer. It's also rosin core, not solid.
Special solder for small stuff. I had to look in shop but I found.

Finally got my Element Helix mounted and zeroed. Did some ammo testing. SK Biathlon Sport really shined at 100 yards…..5 shots

View attachment 7759329

Happy with the look and performance. Was a good trade for a couple days weekend work.

(Sorry….no uodated pic with optic yet)
View attachment 7759332

Got an Anarchy Outdoor Titanium bolt knob to Cerakote and install. Oh yeah, and little guy was super quiet with the Tac Sol Axiom suppressor. Can’t wait to stretch it out with the SK Biathlon. Looking like fun. Wasn’t even looking for a bolt 22. Mainly been shooting a modded 10/22 with Volquartsen barrel, Tac Sol X-Ring SBX and Kidd Supergrade. This shoots considerably better. I was expecting good things from reading about the CZ’s but didn't expect this level of accuracy or consistency. The Lapua X-act and SK Pistol shot well too, but not like the Biathlon. Good thing I have a brick.
Nice shooting

KRG Bravo for the CZ 457,

Is there any better source for best price other than KRG themselves? I found them on line, then the famous NOT IN STOCK at checkout.
My Pro Varmint shoots very well, better then I expected, 3/4 inch or better at 50 yards( sort of wondering if I should postpone the Lilja barrel on back order) just that the stock isn't comfortable to shoot, and heavy.

appreciate the input,

KRG Bravo for the CZ 457,

Is there any better source for best price other than KRG themselves? I found them on line, then the famous NOT IN STOCK at checkout.
My Pro Varmint shoots very well, better then I expected, 3/4 inch or better at 50 yards( sort of wondering if I should postpone the Lilja barrel on back order) just that the stock isn't comfortable to shoot, and heavy.

appreciate the input,
I just picked one up for my 457 from Snyder Precision (Cattleman99 on this site). Black Friday deal, shipped very quick.

They're a KRG Dealer, so also have most of the add-ons you may want/need.

Hope this helps,

Dave

FMCDH,

That SCAR looks nice.....

Yes... the 457 trigger mod is super simple. Replace the trigger spring with one from McMaster Carr and lap the sear with some
9 and then 3 micron AO PSA film. Take 10 seconds to sand the ends of the trigger pin down to ease it's reinsertion. Back off screw
number 53 until you only have about three threads engaged and lock it down with the hex nut.
Use some silicon grease to hold the spring in place while you guide it into the housing and align it with screw center line number 53.
Screw #49 inward until the FP drops on an empty chamber. Then back it out by say 90* for starters. You should have a short, crisp
7 oz. trigger. ( #49 is labeled backwards. Turning in reduces the sear engagement )
Lapping the chrome blade takes about 40 minutes while the black blade takes less than 10 mins.

I used to provide kits that had all of the stuff required to do 4 trigger jobs. my spring was .014" wire and the Yo-Dave wire was .018"
About half the spring rate if I recall correctly.

I'm sure I have kits laying around or am happy to give you the information if you would like it.
I recommend putting on a Vudoo knob and an Anarchy Outdoors extended mag release too. Even the old Flaig ACE trigger shoes
#21` and #22 work really well. It's been a long time but you may need a Lumley 5-16-24 to M6-1 thread adapter as well.

Attachments

• LUMLEY.jpg
    LUMLEY.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 121
  • AA EXT MAG REL.jpg
    AA EXT MAG REL.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 104
  • 20210617_105250.jpg
    20210617_105250.jpg
    614.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 20200926_081607.jpg
    20200926_081607.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 107
  • TRG7.JPG
    TRG7.JPG
    264.5 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC09967.JPG
    DSC09967.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC09768.JPG
    DSC09768.JPG
    320.9 KB · Views: 107
  • o2IaOE6h.jpg
    o2IaOE6h.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 114
Hey guys, I want to pick one of these up. I have never been behind one. A couple questions:

- From my research it seems like there is no discernable difference in accuracy between the MTR and the standard varmint. Some guys see slightly better accuracy with the MTR, but others don't, so it seems like a toss up. Is that the consensus?

- Any feedback on the Manners stock on the Precision Trainer? 457's are hard to get ahold of, but you can get the Manners version.

- If I go with a Area419 rail, is a raised comb a must? Seems like it would be from looking at how high it is, but pics can be deceiving.

- This brings me back to a question about the Manners - if a raised comb is highly preferred, has anyone asked Manners if their adjustable cheek spacer works on this stock?

-Looks like the Varmint versions come with a 20.5" barrel vs the 16.5" of many of the other versions. Is the 20.5 preferred?

My MTR has cold bore issues. My At-One with the non match chamber out shoots the MTR. I have 3 of the 419 rails and have
no problem with them at all. I want the rifle to be comfortable to shoot and for it to fit me, not me contorting to fit the rifle.
I hated the small factory ball so I replaced it with a 419 knobs. Shortly after I replaced all three 419 knobs with Vudoo
knobs because they are somewhat nicer.
Have you considered the B14R steel bbl ? Why did you decide against it?

I've been pretty happy with my stock CZ 457's. Enough so that I decided to put a custom CZ 457 project gun together from scratch. Started with a new American Synthetic 17 hmr and went from there. IBI 22" barrel, A419 rail, AA bolt knob and extended mag release.,15 oz factory trigger ( for now as my Timney order kept getting pushed out) . Couldn't decide so I tried both an Oryx and XLR 4.0 chassis . Ended up deciding on the Oryx. and added their ARCA rail and MTD grip. I got some good Black Friday deals so total investment is WELL under my $1200 budget (once I resell the XLR) . Hope to get it to the range this weekend and break it in. Anyway, just figured I'd share.
20211217_103213.jpg

My MTR has cold bore issues. My At-One with the non match chamber out shoots the MTR. I have 3 of the 419 rails and have
no problem with them at all. I want the rifle to be comfortable to shoot and for it to fit me, not me contorting to fit the rifle.
I hated the small factory ball so I replaced it with a 419 knobs. Shortly after I replaced all three 419 knobs with Vudoo
knobs because they are somewhat nicer.
Have you considered the B14R steel bbl ? Why did you decide against it?
Have never gotten on the Bergara bandwagon, their centerfire rifles are fine but I've never been impressed enough to buy one, so I havent looked into it much.

Why that over the 457 or T1x? Because of the 700 footprint or other reasons?

- Any feedback on the Manners stock on the Precision Trainer? 457's are hard to get ahold of, but you can get the Manners version.

- If I go with a Area419 rail, is a raised comb a must? Seems like it would be from looking at how high it is, but pics can be deceiving.
I’ve only shot my MTR vs. my Savage Mark II BV, so cannot comment on your first questions.

Per the two questions above,
My preferences for stock style are almost always filled by Manners’ products, so I’d be biased.
I use the 419 rail on my MTR and for my face and scope, found that the simple addition of a 1/4” suede leather scope pad fits perfectly. Depending upon your cheekbone height, the Area 419 may or may not be slightly too high.

I use the 419 rail on my MTR and for my face and scope, found that the simple addition of a 1/4” suede leather scope pad fits perfectly. Depending upon your cheekbone height, the Area 419 may or may not be slightly too high.
Right - this helps. I was more wondering if its a known thing, where most guys are adding comb height, etc. If its not thats good news.

Swan,
I just wanted a new .22 and found myself bidding on BG. The B14R looked decent enough so I thought I would give it a try.
Truly the only thing I knew before purchasing the Bergara was that my LGS guy was always talking them down.
I was unaware of the 700 footprint feature. Since I don't normally build guns, that feature carries little weight with me.
I don't tend to jump on band wagons either. I don't follow popular opinion and don't know what guns are popular this week.
My B14R shoots just as well as my V22 does. I have 3 457s, MTR, At-one and a Royal. I like the MTR the best. I didn't care for
the At-One or Royal once I got my hands on them. I considered a TX1 a few times, a pal of mine speaks very highly of them.
I believe he has three of them. I don't care for the stocks they have. Over all I feel like the B14R fits my needs pretty well from
the factory. I don't mind changing small items like the bolt knob or doing some trigger work but that as much as I want to do.
I didn't like the Bergara trigger so I came up with a mod to give it an adjustable sear and to lower it's weight to 11 oz.
I enjoy doing that kind of work because it's a puzzle for me to solve. And since the trigger module is riveted together in 7
places, it made it more challenging. Someone opened their trigger up and once I saw it's internals I had a concept within five
minutes. Doing it was merely a formality. Any way.... I'm sick as hell and gotten off track. As I think of my guns, I'm not impressed
by any of them. They are like my pets and I like them all for different reasons. I do know that the more money I pay for a gun
the more judgmental I become. Still they are all just guns and all for sale.

Attachments

• 7-21-21-A.jpg
    7-21-21-A.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 10 SHOTS @ 50 YARDS  .34 CTC.jpg
    10 SHOTS @ 50 YARDS .34 CTC.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 132
  • NEW TARGET.jpg
    NEW TARGET.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 138
Here is the B14R trigger once opened up. Something I was not willing to do. I should clarify, I like working on
guns. I enjoy refining existing designs. I don't want to be buying all sorts of new parts for them. The published
low end for this trigger is 2 pounds 4 ounces as I recall. From the factory it's long and heavy. 20 minutes and 20
bucks makes a world of difference. Keeping all of my factory components allows me to stay in the factory class
at my LGC.

Attachments

• bt1.jpg
    bt1.jpg
    716.7 KB · Views: 98
Adding a sear engagement screw is about the best bang for the buck in M14R mods you can make. I have a new Timney trigger that was intended for my 14R custom build. It sits there unused because I'm quite content with the pair of 20 oz factor triggers I now have on both my 14R's.

@AirGunShawn that write up helps, appreciate it. What about the bolt on the B14R? I have read complaints in reviews about that (in regards to force necessary to work the action and it not being as smooth as the 457 or T1x.

I mostly have Sako's and Tikka's, so I do like the idea of the T1x... However I dont see the T1x in stock anywhere, so that might be moot if I want one soon. You can get a 457 if you want to pay up for the manners stock, and you can get a Bergara barreled action B14R too.

By reading the forum it seems like all three of these guns are pretty equal when it comes to accuracy, unless I am missing something.

I just picked up a 457 barreled action and plan on putting it in a Krg bravo, I purchased an additional 10rd mag but didn’t realize till afterwards those may not work with the new chasis? will the 457 mags work or did I make a mistake?

I just picked up a 457 barreled action and plan on putting it in a Krg bravo, I purchased an additional 10rd mag but didn’t realize till afterwards those may not work with the new chasis? will the 457 mags work or did I make a mistake?
The Bravo uses a AICS sized mag slot which can make guiding those small CZ mags into place an Easter egg hunt. Most report that adding the Anarchy Outdoors Mag Well Filler designed for the Bravo cures any 10 round mag issues. ( There might be issues with 5 rounders if memory serves though ) I have no experience with the 457 and Bravo myself though.

Last edited:
The 457s have superb triggers unlike the 452 where you either had to play with springs until you got something decent or the 455s where the same thing applied, but the set trigger pull was pretty awesome and a great shooter.
But they also respond incredibly well to a simple spring change. I struggled to get any of my 457's below the 2# mark with factory adjustments. They were very decent but not quite as low as I wanted. A $2 spring change and I'm at 15 -20 oz on 3 different rifles. ( as selected).

The KRG Bravo for the CZ457 uses the CZ factory mags. When you're on their website, be sure you are reading descriptions of the rim fire models, there are differences (for example, the tooless lop set up for rim fire is $49, the centerfield one lots more).
To your specific question, both the 5 and 10 rnd mags work fine. It is a little fiddly inserting the 5s, but I don't compete, so hasn't bothered me yet. The 10s are much easier to extract. I don't have either the extended mag release or the mag well filler, but probably will soon. I have heard (second or third hand) that with the filler you want the extended mag release, and also with the filler the 5s may be less than ideal.
If I pick them up, I'll let you know. For now, 10 rounders will work perfectly with no mods.

Dave

Thanks Dave for the clarification and I’d be interested in hearing the feedback if you go that route.

I wonder why there isn't a B14R sticky thread...........Like this 457 thread is. Hmm.
Pretty curious myself. I have both and don't have a favorite at this point, but I'm leaning towards the B14R for target and competition and 457 for hunting. I know way more competitors that shoot the B14R, but that could be my area.