• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

Anyone got hands on a 16.5” 457 VPT yet? Seen one out in the wild? It’s starting to feel like I ordered a custom action, “couple weeks yet”.

Got to handle one at a local gun store. Don’t remember if it was 22lr or 17hmr.

Was just excited to compare it against the Tikka T1x at the same time

What is the name of the cheek pad you are using?

@drglock nice groups man. i have a box of CCISV that i'll have to try. my high velocity CCI didn't do too bad either. I also have the 419 bolt handle and really like it. i had the 419 30MOA scope base, but i swapped to the bscar triggers scope base. if anyone needs a 419 30MOA scope base, DM me for a cheap deal.

Conditions still not very good here. 16-18 mph gusts, got out of the wind the best I could and tried to catch the wind at lesser gust but still made it tough to shoot groups. This should give an indication of what these are capable of.

80 degrees
Winds 14-16ish
50 yards on all shots

Last edited:
Reactions: cro789
@drglock nice groups man. i have a box of CCISV that i'll have to try. my high velocity CCI didn't do too bad either. I also have the 419 bolt handle and really like it. i had the 419 30MOA scope base, but i swapped to the bscar triggers scope base. if anyone needs a 419 30MOA scope base, DM me for a cheap deal.

just out of curiousity, why did you switch?

Reactions: JKW70
gotcha. i guess i am one of those people who really don't think about the logo or how big or small it is. good point on the slightly lower part though. i'm just always on the lookout for quality made parts. don't know much about bscar.

thanks for the offer, i've already got one in hand. now if you had a spare action on the other hand...

BScar came out with his 0 & 25 MOA rails for the 457 before anyone else that I'd found or was aware of. Didn't take me long to get two of his 25 MOA rails - one for my 457 American, the other for a MTR I was finally able to buy. The low profile of the BScar rail provided a near-perfect scope height for a 1" Nikon Buckmaster in low Weaver Quad rings on the American, and an Athlon Cronus sits just right in Seekins low rings atop the BScar rail on the MTR.

Attachments

• DSC09831.JPG
    DSC09831.JPG
    427.2 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC09854.JPG
    DSC09854.JPG
    407.7 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC09828.JPG
    DSC09828.JPG
    279 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC09832.JPG
    DSC09832.JPG
    472.2 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC09833.JPG
    DSC09833.JPG
    312.7 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC09834.JPG
    DSC09834.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC09858.JPG
    DSC09858.JPG
    496.5 KB · Views: 226
Reactions: POGPride
I went looking at Brownells for an Area 419 bolt knob with M6-1 threads for my MTR, but they're out of stock & on back order. So, I chucked-up a chunk of 1" 6061 aluminum rod in the lathe & went to work on it. I've made plenty of extended B-O-style bolt knobs over the years, but this was a first attempt to make something like the 419 knob. It turned out OK - not as smooth-looking as the 419, but certainly usable, and quite an improvement over the simple, small round knob that CZ uses. After de-greasing, I blasted it in the cabinet, and shot & quick 'n dirty coat of flat black rattle-can paint, let it dry, and spun it on the MTR's bolt handle. Took the rifle out & put 50+rds of ammo through it on steel targets from 100yds just to get a feel for the new knob - I liked it. Think the guys at Area 419 hit on a good design. It sure made the 457 MTR easier to run faster & with less disturbance. Next time I need to CeraKote rifle parts in graphite black, I hope I can remember to pull this funky home-made knob off the rifle & get it done at the same time.

Are the Pro Varmints available anywhere yet? I've been on several "email when in stock" waitlists for months now and check aggregator sites like gun.deals now and then but I haven't seen a single one in stock for sale.

Are the Pro Varmints available anywhere yet? I've been on several "email when in stock" waitlists for months now and check aggregator sites like gun.deals now and then but I haven't seen a single one in stock for sale.

Buds gun shop web site say they have some. Says less than 5 remaining

i didn't like the 419 logo, and the bscar rail is slightly lower. it's an awesome rail, just my picky preference. $70 shipped, it's new and in original packaging.
I’m sorry if I missed it but is your base for a 455 or a 457?

What is the thread pattern on the 457 bolt knob? I’m not in love with the area 419 and I’m not sure where to go for other options.
Edit: found it at RFC
“The thread size for the bolt knob is metric.. It is M6-1.0”

Last edited:
I found centerfire bolt knobs are way too big. I just made one yesterday for mine. Gonna have it cerakoted 455 though

Last edited:
Why on earth they decided to not thread this length is beyond me. As soon as I find a threaded one in stock, I'm going to get it.

I bought a 457 Varmint. Really like it. It is stock. The adjustable trigger works great. I added a EGW 0 MOA scope mount, a Vortex Pro Series Rings and a Vortex Crossfire II scope. Still playing with different ammo. Eley Target is best so far. Neat little rifle. Shot it at 100 yards with a little wind.

Attachments

• target 7.jpg
    target 7.jpg
    377.8 KB · Views: 179
I bought a 457 Varmint. Really like it. It is stock. The adjustable trigger works great. I added a EGW 0 MOA scope mount, a Vortex Pro Series Rings and a Vortex Crossfire II scope. Still playing with different ammo. Eley Target is best so far. Neat little rifle. Shot it at 100 yards with a little wind.
Did you get the MTR version? The factory trigger on my 457 MTR goes down to 15 oz. I put a YoDave spring kit in her and it went down to 9 oz. Because of the trigger blade, it feels like 6 oz. Be aware that the trigger pin in your rifle is very likely a press fit. Mine was scary tight until I reduced it's diameter for reinstallation. The second photo is of my RPRR. My MTR trigger feels so nice that any lapping is not necessary.

Attachments

• DSC09863.JPG
    DSC09863.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC09768.JPG
    DSC09768.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 117
I shot my 457 American with the new Shilen select match ratchet rifled bbl that I'd contoured, fitted, and chambered last evening. I haven't cut the extractor grooves on it yet - the slotting saw I ordered for the job is supposed to be delivered today. I also wanted to test fire the bbl to see if there was any advantage to indexing it at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00, or 9:00, and was able to do so by just tightening the grub screws on the bbl at each position. But my jerry-rigged system for holding the bbl'd action in a vise on a bench was far less than ideal, and I felt the results were pretty much meaningless. So, hope to get the extractor grooves cut this afternoon, then get the bbl glued into the action - also ordered a new bottle of Loctite 609 to accomplish this. I bought a R5 contour bbl, then parted-off the 1.25" dia shank and turned the radiused neck down to .925", which resulted in a 2.5" straight shank that blended into the straight taper out to the muzzle, and after parting off an inch at the muzzle, the finished length is 23". It weighs just over 1/2lb more than the factory American 24.5" bbl., and the first few groups I shot with it at 50yds last evening were a huge improvement over the splatters that the OEM bbl shot... Will post photo of rifle & groups after I get the bbl CeraKoted. Am thinking of adding an ounce or two of CK tungsten to graphite black in an effort to match the OEM nitride finish.

Reactions: JKW70
Not the MTR. I used the trigger weight adjustment and the sear screw adjustment in combination. I had mine at 4 or 5 oz. I found this to be to light although a 2 foot drop test and a slam fire test did not result in the rifle firing. With rifle ready to fire {empty} adjust the sear until the trigger releases re cock then turn the screw back until you have what you want. A 1/4 to 1/2 turn can take you back to 2 lbs. I got all the info online to make these adjustments. No parts no $$$.

Last edited:
Not the MTR. I used the trigger weight adjustment and the sear screw adjustment in combination. I had mine at 4 or 5 oz. I found this to be to light although a 2 foot drop test and a slam fire test did not result in the rifle firing. With rifle ready to fire {empty} adjust the sear until the trigger releases re cock then turn the screw back until you have what you want. A 1/4 to 1/2 turn can take you back to 2 lbs. I got all the info online to make these adjustments. No parts no $$$.
I need to get the trigger instructions... lol. ...... I like light triggers so the 15 oz. was to heavy for my likening. I would like my triggers as lite as possible and still be safe. It sounds like I can still squeak out some performance out of her.

Attachments

• DSC09854.JPG
    DSC09854.JPG
    407.7 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC09855.JPG
    DSC09855.JPG
    498.6 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC09858.JPG
    DSC09858.JPG
    496.5 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: Iris4Thug
J&P adapters with Burris Zee Signature rings required a little modifying to clear the bolt. A few passes with a file to apply a bevel did the trick. A quick touch up with a Birchwood Casey bluing pen provided the perfect color match. Though, I'm pretty sure the Burris forever warranty has been forfeited.

This combo puts the scope centerline about 2 inches over the MTR stock. The objective on my T36 has about 1/8 inch clearance over the barrel.

If I were not picking up a Vudoo around June first, I would get another MTR. They are very nice for the money. Nice job on the rings, it looks factory.

Pay attention to the red note at the bottom of the post..

Why? I just install the 15MOA...
I too just installed a 15 MOA rail from AREA 419.

Pay attention to the red note at the bottom of the post..
Thank you Bill.... I had the factory trigger down to 15 oz. A YODAVE trigger spring kit, I believe under 20.00 brought it down to
9 oz. With the trigger shape it feels like 6 oz. I have been told that they will go down to 4 oz. Be aware that the trigger pin is a pretty heavy press fit into the trigger. To aid in reassembly, I took a couple thousands off of it's diameter. The fingernail polish is to keep the pin from shifting. I realize that I could have staked it in place, but I work on my triggers much to often for that.
As far as stoning... I use 0.3, 1 and three micron lapping film. ( last two photo's ) Those very fine levels of lapping film force me to go slow and not get too aggressive with my trigger sears. those sears are from my RPRR. thus far, I have not seen the need for lapping my CZ 457 MTR sears. As an FYI. The Harrell tuner changes POI when adjusted by as little .10" And that is just rough testing.

Attachments

• DSC09854.JPG
    DSC09854.JPG
    407.7 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC09858.JPG
    DSC09858.JPG
    496.5 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC09863.JPG
    DSC09863.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC09768.JPG
    DSC09768.JPG
    320.7 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC09769.JPG
    DSC09769.JPG
    594.2 KB · Views: 96
Kinda wondering why they don't offer more models with an adjustable height cheek piece. How are you fellas getting good cheekweld on those wood stocks without duct tape?

Makes me also wonder why they only offer the match chamber for the MTR rifle with wood stock instead of their tactical ones too.

Reactions: David Canann
Here's a photo of the 457 American that I just re-barreled with a Shilen select match ratchet rifled #5 blank. I'd considered threading the action, but decided instead to glue the bbl in - if it doesn't work out, I can always clean up the Loctite #609 & thread it later. But - at least so far - it appears to be working out. I finished the blank by cutting the extractor grooves & made the cut on the bottom of the shank for the feed tray to fit into, then de-greased, blasted, & CeraKoted the bbl & muzzle thread protector with a mix of 20ml of graphite blank and 10 ml of tungsten. The nitride finish of the 457 appears to have a slightly blue/black tone, and I thought the mix might come close to matching it. The Shilen - as I contoured it - is just over 1/2lb heavier than the OEM American bbl, even though it's an inch shorter at 23".

I had a hurried prone session with it from 50yds yesterday morning while the breeze was still fairly light, and after getting a rough zero on steel, shot some groups on paper. The one I attached is the 1st 5-shot group on paper, with SK Std+. The first four shots were touching, but I saw a weird recoil track though the scope on that fifth shot that landed on the black paster. Not terrific, unless you'd seen how the factory barrel was shooting - then it looks pretty good by comparison. I shot some 10-shot groups with SK LR Match, Flatnose Basic, Pistol Match, and Lapua Center-X; LR Match & Flatnose basic had six or seven shots all in one little hole, with the remaining 3-4 shots within 1/4". In short, it shows good promise. Afterwards, when I checked to see if the bbl was still free floated in the bbl channel, I found some contact in the last 4" or so of the forend, so a bit of sanding to remove that might just tighten up the groups. I've got to remove the bbl'd action to engrave the chamber on the bbl anyway, and to seal the sanded bbl channel with some urethane varnish; might as well get that done while it's still raining.

So this is the first Shilen bbl I've ever worked with - if it continues shooting the way the initial trials indicate, it won't be the last...

Attachments

• DSC_1220.JPG
    DSC_1220.JPG
    431.5 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC_1216.JPG
    DSC_1216.JPG
    430.1 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Reactions: Stanprophet
I really liked my 455 precision trainer. When I saw the 457 I had to build one up. I decided to do a quick write up for anyone on the fence about making this purchase. See pictures below.

Build specs
CZ457 Precision Trainer- Manners Elite Carbon Fiber Stock
Area 419 scope base
Area 419 Bolt handle
Area 419 Arca Rail system
Lilja .900 Strait shank 16 3/4" match barrel
D.I.P. products billet magwell
D.I.P. products extended magazine release

I expected to need to adjust the trigger as I did with the 455 when it was new. But that was not the case. The trigger breaks like glass at just under a pound right out of the box. The trigger is much nicer than the 455 triggers, you can tell CZ put some thought into this. That is saying a lot too, the 455 was the best I can recall from a factory rimfire gun.

The Area 419 parts are really well made and beautiful just to look at. The Arca rail is the older model I had lying around from another build. This was before they added the locking feature. The bolt knob is outstanding. Credit hear to CZ for threading the bolt in the first place. The small bolt knob was really annoying on the 455. I had previously used a KRG bolt knob designed for the Remington 700 and epoxied it in place.

The DIP parts are also really well made. I had these same upgrades on the 455 and for $60 I figured why not. They don't affect accuracy or performance but they do make the gun feel nicer.

I had originally planned to "wait and see" on the Lilja barrel but I got a deal on the 457 with a 24" it was significant enough that it just made sense to buy the 24" gun and swap the barrel right away. The reason for wanting the short barrel is velocity. after about 16" 22lr starts to lose velocity to friction. The barrel install was a snap with the two set screws on the bottom of the action and lilja includes a shim kit system to achieve proper headspace. I have headspace set .001 off the lands for the Eley force 42g high-velocity ammo.

The action itself uses the same mags as the 455 and same quick barrel swap system as it did before. The trigger guard is better quality than the 455's and change from 90 deg to 60deg bolt throw is also a welcome upgrade.

I have about 200 rounds down the pipe and it is consistently achieving sub moa groups at 100 yards, right at MOA at 200, and consistently hitting a 6" plate at 400 yards.

Nothing lost in this new version of the CZ bolt action rimfire and it maintains the consistency I loved in the 455.
I have the exact build (minus ARCA and Lilja barrel) going together this week. I am going to see how the factory 16.5" barrel shoots first, the test target looks promising with a 15mm group. From what I can tell these guns always outshoot the test targets. I am really impressed with the rifle so far, but I haven't shot it yet. I originally wanted the 24" to more closely match my centerfire rifles, but I found a 16.5" in stock.

Last edited:
I have the exact build going together this week. I am going to see how the factory 16.5" barrel shoots first, the test target looks promising with a 15mm group. From what I can tell these guns always outshoot the test targets. I am really impressed with the rifle so far, but I haven't shot it yet. I originally wanted the 24" to more closely match my centerfire rifles, but I found a 16.5" in stock.
Travclem- Curious what Ammo you 457 likes in order to get the performance at 300/400 yds that you cite. Also, trying to figure out who D.I.P. products is that makes your magwell. 457 Magwell sucks.

Travclem- Curious what Ammo you 457 likes in order to get the performance at 300/400 yds that you cite. Also, trying to figure out who D.I.P. products is that makes your magwell. 457 Magwell sucks.
I haven't shot mine yet, i think you are referring to @POGPride who I quoted.

DIP = Diversified Innovative Products

I have the exact build (minus ARCA and Lilja barrel) going together this week. I am going to see how the factory 16.5" barrel shoots first, the test target looks promising with a 15mm group. From what I can tell these guns always outshoot the test targets. I am really impressed with the rifle so far, but I haven't shot it yet. I originally wanted the 24" to more closely match my centerfire rifles, but I found a 16.5" in stock.
A YoDave spring kit will help the trigger get to 9 oz. See above from Airgun Shawn. Do you know the thread size from
the CZ bolt / knob interface? And ammo you use?
The DIP extended mag release is also nice. It is a touch longer.... say, .07" longer and made from Aluminum and not plastic like the factory one is. Don't get me wrong. I think they did a great job on the CZ 457 MTR. Even it's trigger guard is refined much better than my two Anschutz 1416's .

Attachments

• DSC09765.JPG
    DSC09765.JPG
    399.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited: