• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

It’s mainly just a look thing for photos.
I can count on one hand how many times I’ve shot with my legs 45° forward, and almost all of them have been off a standing bench where I couldn’t get below a sky baffle and still reach the farthest target I wanted to hit, so I had to lower the rifle.

I guess this is just a general thread for the CZ 457 so I hope this is in the right spot. I had issues with my cheek weld and see that several did on here as well. I did some looking and found that Manners sells an Elite Adjustable Cheek Riser. (Sorry if this is old news) Easy call to Manners. $129+ship and all is well. If you have time to wait, they told me they would do the install for nothing. Just have to send them the stock and buy the cheek piece. I was told 5-8 weeks turnaround if you send it in. Doesn't take high tech tools. I have ancient drill press and used a mounting vice on the press to mount the stock vertically so I could drill into the top. When arrived, it was installed in less than an hour.

Used the pillars as a guide for the bit and placed a piece of tape around the bit just above the height of the pillar. I drilled a pilot hole first with a 1/4" bit to the depth of the pillar. Using the cheek riser as a template so that I got the spacing correct. Then repeated myself with a 1/2" bit using the same method. A little epoxy for the pillars and 24 hours later... she's done. I highly suggest this route. There is no significant additional weight and it is rock solid.

It is also adjustable. It comes with three spacers and it would be easy to purchase a few more if needed (or make them yourself).
I was able to trade a case of 556 for a new 457 AT-ONE varmint at my LGS a few months back(prices are in unbelievable world right now)I like the stock but I’m not in love with it and I’m just wondering if the price of the manners stock is worth the upgrade? Do you think it’s a significant upgrade from the Boyd’s stock? Thanks

It is without a doubt, a tremendous upgrade over the soft wood Boyd’s.

Reactions: LoCal247
I was able to trade a case of 556 for a new 457 AT-ONE varmint at my LGS a few months back(prices are in unbelievable world right now)I like the stock but I’m not in love with it and I’m just wondering if the price of the manners stock is worth the upgrade? Do you think it’s a significant upgrade from the Boyd’s stock? Thanks
LoCal - What don't you like about the At-One? I was thinking about the Manners, but looks like CZ is also releasing their chassis separately.
Cheers and a happy new year.

LoCal - What don't you like about the At-One? I was thinking about the Manners, but looks like CZ is also releasing their chassis separately.
Cheers and a happy new year.
The stock isn’t bad. It’s way better than low-cost Tupperware stocks on rifles. Just looking at the manners and thinking about going for it.

A lot of people say it's not an indicator for accuracy, just for function. I'd just about say that's true except with my guns. I have several CZ 452's and all shoot in general according to their targets. For example, the Ultra Lux is very accurate, the Varmint is very accurate, their test targets are very accurate. I have a 16" threaded factory barreled 452 American, it's not very accurate, the test target show it to not be very accurate. Take this for what it's worth.
The consensus on RFC is that the test target isn’t an indicator of potential accuracy. I agree partially. There certainly can be exceptions, but in my experience (4 CZ’s) it can indicate accuracy potential. My CZ’s all easily outshoot their test targets with their preferred Ammo, but the 452 American that had the best test target shoots the best. The one that had the worst test target shoots the worst (still decent). Today I bought my first 457. I chose from 3 CZ 457’s at Bud’s today by looking at test targets. They let me look at three test targets, one each from an American, a Varmint and an MTR. Surprisingly the American had the best test target. That’s the one I bought. I went there to buy a 20” T1X, which they had along with a couple Bergaras and a few others. I wanted something different to experiment with. I guess I’m just drawn to CZ. I’m going to feed it a brick of Blazer over the winter, then break out the SK and Lapua and see if my theory holds true. If I can shoot 6x5’s in the mid 3’s I’ll be happy.

Maybe a silly question, but just recieved a SAP extra mag holder for my 457 VPT. I've seen most people put it where I've circled on the picture. That manners has a channel that runs there, it's not flat like other stocks I've seen. Anyone install their mag holder somewhere else? More specifically on a manners?View attachment 7463785

TeeBird, whose cheekpiece riser did you use on the 457 VPT? Is it plastic or leather? I just picked up one of these but the lack of an adjustable cheekpiece is the only thing missing. It is by far the best looking stock in the 457 lineup.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have no experience with the At-One stock. I’ve had some other 22’s with Boyd’s stocks and they were an improvement over the cheap factory stocks, but I had more luck following up again with a manners stock. That said, I’m bias and have manners stocks on all of my other rifles. So for me, it was the only way to go.

I looked at the CZ 457 LRP and felt that the stock on that one was very comparable to the manners. I opted for the VPT though.

I have seen several posts from those who purchased a CZ, making sure the action screws were torqued correctly. First thing I checked and they were at about 15 inch lbs. it shoots very well now that I’ve tightened them up. Just have to get the right ammo.

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have no experience with the At-One stock. I’ve had some other 22’s with Boyd’s stocks and they were an improvement over the cheap factory stocks, but I had more luck following up again with a manners stock. That said, I’m bias and have manners stocks on all of my other rifles. So for me, it was the only way to go.

I looked at the CZ 457 LRP and felt that the stock on that one was very comparable to the manners. I opted for the VPT though.

I have seen several posts from those who purchased a CZ, making sure the action screws were torqued correctly. First thing I checked and they were at about 15 inch lbs. it shoots very well now that I’ve tightened them up. Just have to get the right ammo.
Sk rifle match and sk pistol match special have shot great out of my cz 457 24” . Not by much but even better than Lapua center-x . Cheaper sometimes is better.

Just picked up a new CZ 457 Royal 16.5" barrel in .22lr. I'm also looking for .17 hmr barrel for it, anyone have a link?? Using the DIP rail and a Hawke 4x12x40 optic. Just a cvlife 9-13" bipod.

First shoot it did really well and I was impressed with the feel of the action. I also have Tikka T1X and I really like the centered bolt handle on the CZ as it feels more balanced and has less binding. The target frame is 50 yds shot from the bipod with Federal blackpack bulk ammo, blue targets are 4" diameter.

Attachments

• PXL_20210117_032347554.jpg
    PXL_20210117_032347554.jpg
    641.2 KB · Views: 194
  • PXL_20210117_182000463.jpg
    PXL_20210117_182000463.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 200
  • PXL_20210117_184828123.MP_2.jpg
    PXL_20210117_184828123.MP_2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 220
Yes that is the standard included thread protector on the barrel. Its a EU thread though 1/2x20 UNF kinda funky, but you can use adaptors for U.S.
I don't understand why some MFG's can't find a thread protector that blends in better. The one I had on my Steyr Zephyr II was terrible looking and the one on my Browning 5.5 Buckmark didn't even match up. The least CZ could have done was send one with the same OD. Nice looking rifle though, I always like the looks of the Royal.

I have a new CZ 457 with a 16.5 inch barrel. Accuracy has been pretty good. I was hoping right around .75 " group at 100. My question is speed/drops. I am 1.9 mils @100, 7.8mils@200,11.1mils@250 and 14.6mils@300. Seems like a lot more drop than expected.

I have a new Vortex Strike Eagle that I just put on for this gun. I have not tall tested the scope yet, but will in the next few weeks.

I have a new CZ 457 with a 16.5 inch barrel. Accuracy has been pretty good. I was hoping right around .75 " group at 100. My question is speed/drops. I am 1.9 mils @100, 7.8mils@200,11.1mils@250 and 14.6mils@300. Seems like a lot more drop than expected.

I have a new Vortex Strike Eagle that I just put on for this gun. I have not tall tested the scope yet, but will in the next few weeks.
My experience: CZ457 Pro Varmint and SK Std+.
I used AB on my Kestrel and trued BC to what the rifle shot at known distance.
My 6x5 at 100 is around 1.1 - 1.2”
DA 1500, G1 = 0.139, MV 1083
50 yard zero, 2.0 @ 100 yards, 7.2 @ 200 yards, 13.4 @ 300 yards.

YMMV, happy shooting

My experience: CZ457 Pro Varmint and SK Std+.
I used AB on my Kestrel and trued BC to what the rifle shot at known distance.
My 6x5 at 100 is around 1.1 - 1.2”
DA 1500, G1 = 0.139, MV 1083
50 yard zero, 2.0 @ 100 yards, 7.2 @ 200 yards, 13.4 @ 300 yards.

YMMV, happy shooting
So I watched this trying to see what "tall testing" is. I'm watching this and thinking... he is just assuming his gun or base is level, right? That may not be true at all.... which would negate this whole test right? For distances like those I just use the BDC app.... weird.

I like Boyds stocks in general and have shot against a number of 457's in AT-1 stocks and they performed well. I decided to spend the extra to get the VPT in the Manners stock. Having shot it some now, the lack of adjustable cheek riser has not been an issue for me. If you used a much larger optic or taller rings it could be. I love the Manners stock. It was designed by shooters who know what they are doing. Little things like the indentation for your thumb that places it exactly right. The metal bedding pillars which make torqueing the action easy. It looks great and I get comments from other shooters all the time who like it. I got the 24" model and it shoots very well. I am very pleased with it. I doubt it will affect the accuracy though. The AT-1's all seem to shoot well.

Anyone tried shooting this challenge? I think a YouTuber, Mr. Revolver Guy does this with his 22 @ 50 yards with a 90 second time limit.
Warm ups with the CZ 457 PV looked promising, but under the pressure of time, I stunk it up initially, then settled in. At least I didn’t take out any hostages (negative points) ;)
YMMV, happy shooting.
EAA106CA-732E-4368-97B0-80B466DFB718.jpeg

Anyone tried shooting this challenge? I think a YouTuber, Mr. Revolver Guy does this with his 22 @ 50 yards with a 90 second time limit.
Warm ups with the CZ 457 PV looked promising, but under the pressure of time, I stunk it up initially, then settled in. At least I didn’t take out any hostages (negative points) ;)
YMMV, happy shooting.
View attachment 7546054
Nice! Yeah I saw this target on his website dayattherange.com. It’s free to download/print out to try the challenge. It’s 30degrees out and now 24” of fresh on snow on the ground so it’ll be a little while before I try it out, but seems like a nice challenge.

I’ve had the targets printed out for a while now, but I’m always doing something else on my range day. Looks like a fun target though.

Reactions: Merlin O
Found this a while back. Really fun to shoot, even better it ya got a cpl guys that wanna shoot for a buck or two. Time didn’t seem to be an issue and head shoots are not always the best going for hi score.

After having the CZ 457 sitting in the safe for a couple months... I finally got it rigged up and ready to shoot. I must admit I’m slightly aroused when fondling it

Attachments

• FD3D993E-F607-4496-91D6-7CB1CAD92BFD.jpeg
    FD3D993E-F607-4496-91D6-7CB1CAD92BFD.jpeg
    569.2 KB · Views: 303
  • 6C82AA9E-65F6-4DA3-893C-9ECB71BC4CAC.jpeg
    6C82AA9E-65F6-4DA3-893C-9ECB71BC4CAC.jpeg
    576 KB · Views: 285
Reactions: Peahi2 and JKW70
I like Boyds stocks in general and have shot against a number of 457's in AT-1 stocks and they performed well. I decided to spend the extra to get the VPT in the Manners stock. Having shot it some now, the lack of adjustable cheek riser has not been an issue for me. If you used a much larger optic or taller rings it could be. I love the Manners stock. It was designed by shooters who know what they are doing. Little things like the indentation for your thumb that places it exactly right. The metal bedding pillars which make torqueing the action easy. It looks great and I get comments from other shooters all the time who like it. I got the 24" model and it shoots very well. I am very pleased with it. I doubt it will affect the accuracy though. The AT-1's all seem to shoot well.
Nearly all my competition tactical rifles are in Manners stocks - older rifles in T4As, newer ones in PRS1Ts. I'm very fond of my 457 American's stock (it's not a 'wood lottery winner', but still has attractive grain) - especially after I replaced the factory bbl with a Shilen, since it now shoots at least as good as it looks.

But after CZ announced the VPT, I couldn't help buying the 24" bbl version after Lipsey's got in a shipment of them. My factory bbl had a spot in the bore an inch or so ahead of the chamber that was covered in little spatters of what looked like leading through the borescope. Liberal application of Shooters Choice on a bronze brush got rid of it, but I had a tough time understanding how just the few rounds they shoot through each rifle at the factory could've resulted in such a lot of leading. Finally had the thought that there must've been an area of the bore about 1-1/2" long that didn't get hammer-forged down to spec, and that propellant gases were leaking around the skirt of the base of the bullets in that oversized portion of the bore, vaporizing a bit of lead in the process, and depositing it in the bore at that point. But if this was the case, why didn't it continue to lead foul while I was putting several hundred rounds of SK & Lapua ammo through it, after I'd brushed out the leading that was there when I pulled the new rifle out of the box? Whatever - it was shooting pretty decent groups at 50yds after I'd put 200-300rds through it, so decided to try it at 100 & 200yds. Groups opened up considerably at 100, and at 200, I couldn't keep 10rds on an 8" steel plate - with a proven good lot of SK Rifle Match, in good conditions. Since I was very pleased with the Manners stock, I removed the VPT bbl'd action and replaced it with my MTR action that I'd re-barreled with another Shilen ratchet rifled, straight .850" dia blank that I'd finished at 22". I replaced the VPT's 24" bbl with the take-off MTR bbl, and put that bbl'd action into the MTR's stock, so now I've got a very good Shilen bbl'd action in the Manners VPT stock, and a decent MTR bbl'd VPT action in the MTR stock.

Strangely fun and challenging. 90 seconds time limit minus the bullseye zero.
Tail winds pushed one of the rounds higher.
If target and hostage were hit, I score it as (target - hostage penalty).
YMMV, happy shooting.
AF014461-7B4B-4F20-B3D9-35A74E7033B3.jpeg
85CE88D0-28E5-4064-BDCD-CB937394AACF.jpeg

Last edited:
Got my new squirrel rifle the other day. Sure has some nice wood on it. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. The last 2 in of barrel channel toward the nuzzle has a heavy pressure point. Should that be there. It's the American rifle 22lr. Thanks

Attachments

• 20210220_105429.jpg
    20210220_105429.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 184
Got my new squirrel rifle the other day. Sure has some nice wood on it. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. The last 2 in of barrel channel toward the nuzzle has a heavy pressure point. Should that be there. It's the American rifle 22lr. Thanks
Man you did win the wood lottery.... I like it.

Reactions: Appalachian
That’s a fine piece of wood. You could easily sell it for more than you paid for it. It is normal for the first inch or two of barrel to be touching the stock. Did you find that on a dealer wall or was it ordered sight unseen?

Just picked up a CZ 457 pro varmint and was curious as to what everyone was doing for scope mounts/rails? I was interested in the DIP rail because I already have some rings but I’ve heard of some issue with the rail moving.

Just picked up a CZ 457 pro varmint and was curious as to what everyone was doing for scope mounts/rails? I was interested in the DIP rail because I already have some rings but I’ve heard of some issue with the rail moving.
I picked up a MPA rail, it has the side clamping screws plus a top set screw.

I have a DIP 25MOA on my Anschutz 64. It sure hasnt moved in maybe 2k rounds. Very repeatable in zero. I ordered one for my CZ457 17HMR I just bought aswell. I cant imagine it would be any different. The design is a very tight fit it seems.