• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CZ 457

I acquired my CZ 457 Varmint MTR almost a month ago (7/8/2021) and have fired over 1600 rounds through it. Only one cleaning after firing a few CCI Mini Mag ammo (round count 50). This morning I got up a decided to clean the CZ (1606 round count) and install the YoDave’s trigger Spring.

Before installing it, I had tested the trigger weight when I first got it. From the Factory the pull weight was 2 lbs 3 oz. It felt a little heavy but not to bad. Did not install the trigger spring until I had the information concerning the Action Screws Torque specifications. Installing the spring took less than ten minutes (pull weight now 1 lbs. 3oz just by installing it). It feels 100% better, smoother and light.

Put the stock back on and torqued the action screws to 15inch lbs. After cleaning it, went to the range to test which torque would work out best. Fired Federal Target 40gr LRN ammo. These were the first rounds after cleaning.

At 15inch lbs. one cold bore flyer with the next 4 touching (with out the flyer, group was .409). At 20inch lbs. 1.055”; at 25inch lbs. .520”; and at 30inch lbs. 1.160”. Took it back to 15” lbs. and shot a .509” and left if there. Then took it out to 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300 yards. My dope was right on and shoot 5 rounds at each location. At 300 yards my dope was 12.06 MRAD (121 Clicks on the Vortex 5-25x56 Venom with a 25MOA DIP Base).

Got a hold of some good ammo (ELEY TENEX, ELEY MATCH, Lapua Center-X and Wolf Match Extra) and will test them out this coming weekend. Will see how they shoot at 50 and 100 yards. I already tested for velocity on them and they are all shooting 75-100 fps faster than the advertised listing. All ammo was tested with both a Lab Radar and Magneto Speed.

Reactions: Fester47
I currently have an MTR that I shoot in NRL 22 Base class, and I'm considering building an Open class rifle over the winter for next season (June '22).
Do all the models use the same actions and bolts, or are there quality grades like with the barrels? Since I can't buy just a bolt and action, I don't want to waste money on a higher end barrel and stock, if I can get the same action for half the price.
I've seen that some people are getting better results with 1:12 to 1:9 twist barrels. Does anyone make one of these for the 457? I checked all the barrel manufacturers I can think of, and none of them list anything but 1:16 twist for 22LR.

The only differences I've seen in the several 457 rifles I've bought was that the latest VPT had a trigger shoe that's matte black instead of shiny silver like the others (2 Americans, Varmint, Varmint MTR) I've got. I seriously doubt there's any differences other than that in the 457 actions, no matter what model you buy. If I were buying one just for the action, I'd get the Scout, as it's the least expensive model I've seen listed. BTW, I've re-barreled two of mine - an American that really didn't shoot worth a hoot, and a Varmint MTR just because I wanted to compare the OEM bbl with its 'match' chamber to a Shilen select match ratchet rifled blank that I chambered with a PTG EPS reamer. The improvement in the American's accuracy was huge, and there was quite a bit of improvement in the MTR's accuracy as well, even if it wasn't nearly as noticeable because the OEM bbl wasn't bad at all - at least, not compared to the American's factory tomato stake.

We know that the MTR has a tighter chamber.

We know that the MTR has a tighter chamber.
That's part of the barrel though. I plan to toss that, so it doesn't matter.

Lilja seems like a decent choice with its adjustable headspace. Check out Pursuit of Accuracy on YouTube as he's experimented with that adjustment.
I was looking at Lilja, but I haven't seen those videos. I'll check them out.

So I’ve got almost 750 rounds down the barrel now. After 500, she really tightened up!! Here’s a 50 shot group at 275 yards this morning with a 6 mph head/cross wind. The first shot, that is way right, was my first guess at the wind. This is a 7x8” steel target for size reference.
0E8B6972-B28C-4943-8B77-A87F26CD3293.jpeg
EB9686BF-656B-4FEC-BDFC-8954CD3E56EF.png

Last edited:
Hey guys I’m having trouble finding some extractors for a 457. If anyone could lead me in the right direction I’d appreciate it. Thank you

Hey guys I’m having trouble finding some extractors for a 457. If anyone could lead me in the right direction I’d appreciate it. Thank you
Welcome to my world…I contacted Cz and was told they have no idea when they’re going to restock. I think I’ve looked everywhere imaginable. I did happen to come across a 455 extractor but wasn’t sure if it would work in the 457. Looks the same but you never know.

Good luck

Welcome to my world…I contacted Cz and was told they have no idea when they’re going to restock. I think I’ve looked everywhere imaginable. I did happen to come across a 455 extractor but wasn’t sure if it would work in the 457. Looks the same but you never know.

Good luck
It's the same

I contacted CZ a few months ago wanting to buy an extractor and spring. They said they would send them under warranty, but they were out of stock. They sent me a spring, but I'm still waiting on the extractor.

Who still does a custom fit barrel for the 457?

It looks like Keystone has discontinued them. IBI appears to only be offering prefits. Any ideas?

Reactions: PowellSixO
Who still does a custom fit barrel for the 457?

It looks like Keystone has discontinued them. IBI appears to only be offering prefits. Any ideas?
Check with lilja. They have a prefit, and I believe they well install them too.

Last edited:
I've read some pretty negative posts concerning Lilja's barrels here over the past several months. My experience with Lilja 22RF barrels is limited to one titebore blank I ordered from them for a CMP Rem 40XB that I had Jonathan Elrod at Modacam Rifles convert to a repeater using V-22 mags back in 2015. I ordered the blank in Rem sendero contour to finish at 26" - my thinking at the time was to keep the finished rifle as close as possible to my CF PRS rifles. I did the fitting & chambering on it, and also did a Krieger blank in the same contour, but finished at 22" at about the same time. I've shot this rifle more with the Krieger barrel than with the Lilja, but have enough experience with both to make a valid comparison. The Krieger is a hammer, comparing favorably with Bartlein & Kriegers on a couple of my Gen 1 V-22 repeaters - but the Lilja consistently shoots groups just a bit tighter.

Since then, I've fitted & chambered barrel blanks from Bartlein, Benchmark, several more Kriegers, and several Shilen select match ratchet rifled blanks for a couple of Gen 1 V-22s, one Gen 3 V-22S, and several CZ 455/457s. That single Lilja is still somewhat of a standout where accuracy's concerned, and may be the single most accurate barrel I've done for a repeater. The only thing I've noticed is that it likes to be cleaned every 120 or so rounds to maintain its best accuracy, but all I'm doing is a couple of wet patches (using Ed's Red), followed by a couple of dry patches.

Note that I have no experience with any of the pre-fit Liljas, and the Shilens I've done for the CZs were all glue-ins, allowing me to omit the cuts for the grub screws their OEM barrels have. Aside from a JGS Nevius reamer I used on a Shilen for my V-22S, all the other barrels were chambered with a PTG EPS reamer. I have no idea what reamer(s) Lilja uses on their pre-fits for bolt rifles. Certainly not a definitive study in typical quality of Lilja barrels, but I wanted to throw that out there for anyone considering buying one for a CZ455/457.

Check with lilja. They have a prefit, and I believe they well install them too.

I have heard good things about the prefits from Lilja and Bartlein. But I'm hoping someone out there still does a custom that I can send in my action and they will fit it up.

Yes, but its still a prefit barrel. Its not a barrel custom made to fit your action with an exact tenon diameter and headspace.
With Lilja it is true about the tenon diameter. With the barrel Lilja provides a set of five shims, .001 - .005., which allows you to set the headspace. I recently got one of their barrels for my 457. I set the headspace at .043. I took it out yesterday for the first time and put 75 rounds through the barrel. I really can't speak to the accuracy because of my skill level.

Reactions: Birddog6424
I put a Lilja prefit varmint contour in my 457 and couldn't have been happier. CenterX is a consistent performer at <.5in groups at 50yd. SK Std+ also does very well just has a flier every couple of groups. Fed Automatch also does well for plinking and higher volume shooting.

I can't remember what I set my headspace at. .043 or .042 sounds about right from what I can remember though. At one point I was going to play around with headspace and see what gave me the best accuracy. However I've been satisfied with the accuracy (and a bit lazy) so I haven't tried tested it.

Reactions: Fester47
Sorry for the super late update. Work has been crazy. This is at 100m today with sk standard out of my pro varmint with a ~3-5mph wind. My rifle seems to definitely prefer sk long range, but I ran out.

20210828_150913.jpg
Ballistic-X-Export-2021-08-28 16:50:24.770953.png
Ballistic-X-Export-2021-08-28 16:48:38.007728.png

Ballistic-X-Export-2021-08-28 16:44:37.170683.png

Last edited:
I have a Timney trigger kit for the CZ455. The CZ factory trigger with a Yodave spring change was a much better than the Timney. I Hope the Timney trigger for the CZ457 is better than what they built for the CZ455.

I have a Timney trigger kit for the CZ455. The CZ factory trigger with a Yodave spring change was a much better than the Timney. I Hope the Timney trigger for the CZ457 is better than what they built for the CZ455.
I should have mine in by this weekend. Will let you know how it compares to the OEM with Yodave spring change. Right now it's at 1lb 3oz. smooth with no creep.

I've been pleased enough with the factory triggers on my 457s after getting them adjusted down to a pound or just over to leave them alone. But after shooting my V-22S BR/F-class rifle with the Flavio Fare trigger set at a couple of ounces, I can see why someone might be wanting a lighter trigger for their CZ 457. If I were going to invest in changing out one of mine, I'd go with BScar's 2-stage trigger.

I'm waiting for a flat version of the Timney. With the YoDave spring (and BScar's trigger pin with E-clips), I've reduced my pull to around 9oz with minimal over- and pretravel. This is good enough for now, since what I really want is the flat shoe.

Reactions: Northernjets
I should have mine in by this weekend. Will let you know how it compares to the OEM with Yodave spring change. Right now it's at 1lb 3oz. smooth with no creep.
keep us in the loop. I'm on the Bscar trigger wait list. I'm in no hurry with a similar set up as yours.

BTW - I installed a Kidd trigger on a 10/22 I got for Appleseed this summer...man, that trigger is heaven. I had no idea it would be that good. I had to work hard to avoid the temptation of buying a complete Kidd rifle after all I put into that 10/22...should have got the Kidd rifle in the first place. - typical lesson repeated many times with my gun gear purchases in general.

I was curious to see if you got the trigger installed and your thoughts on it? Thinking of upgrading to the Timney.

I was curious to see if you got the trigger installed and your thoughts on it? Thinking of upgrading to the Timney.
Before installing it, I had tested the trigger weight when I first got it. From the Factory the pull weight was 2 lbs 3 oz. It felt a little heavy but not too bad. Installing the spring took less than ten minutes (pull weight now 1 lbs. 3oz just by installing it). It feels 100% better, smoother and light.
With that said, I did get the Timney CZ 457 trigger. Is it worth it? I guess that's an individuals answer. I myself am glad I got it. Simple installation and i have it down to 8 oz. with zero creep. Really like the curve (less then the CZ). The pull is very nice and breaks like glass.
Could I have done that with the CZ trigger - most likely. I got mine directly from Timney with a discount for being a veteran.

Reactions: ratrod54
Got out to test some SK Match, Long Range Match, Lapua Center-X and Midas +. The Long Range ended up being the obvious winner, with Midas + as the runner up. The Match was a mess and the Center-X was similar to my SK standard results.
Ballistic-X-Export-2021-09-18 17:57:53.128095.png

Ballistic-X-Export-2021-09-18 17:35:20.318252.png

this thread is going to be some long reading, I just picked up my CZ 457 At-One (16.5”), this afternoon. I already have the iron sights for my shooting league, hopefully will get a chance t take it to the range, early tomorrow morning.

492055E0-3B37-49E9-A698-EC3E6F55B3E8.jpeg

Reactions: PBWalsh
Welcome to the CZ clan,
It's a lot of reading, but worthwhile. You never know when something will jump up.
For instance, what sights did you go with (especially the front)

Dave

The Timney is worth it. Its not like the 457 factory trigger is horrible, it isn't. With the Yo Dave spring mine averaged around 12ozs. I say averaged because when I tested it recently I discovered it will break anywhere from 11 to 13ozs. Playing with it on a bench, it feels fine.

But there is a definite step up in the Timney. More crisp, more consistent. A half dozen tests on the trigger gauge gave me 11ozs every time. The quality of the components is better than the factory trigger. It is a better quality of manufacturing. Given the fact that I compete with this rifle out in the elements and the dirt, combined with the high usage, the Timney is absolutely worth it.

The Timney is worth it. Its not like the 457 factory trigger is horrible, it isn't. With the Yo Dave spring mine averaged around 12ozs. I say averaged because when I tested it recently I discovered it will break anywhere from 11 to 13ozs. Playing with it on a bench, it feels fine.

But there is a definite step up in the Timney. More crisp, more consistent. A half dozen tests on the trigger gauge gave me 11ozs every time. The quality of the components is better than the factory trigger. It is a better quality of manufacturing. Given the fact that I compete with this rifle out in the elements and the dirt, combined with the high usage, the Timney is absolutely worth it.
Glad to hear looking forward to installing mine this week

Attachments

• A5EB6FCE-5C82-48C1-920E-E33A7977AF3C.jpeg
    A5EB6FCE-5C82-48C1-920E-E33A7977AF3C.jpeg
    402.1 KB · Views: 77
Got this in a trade. First CZ. Paint was horrible so I threw some left over stencils on it right over the Manners sponge.
F3B34535-0186-41BE-B909-8B2001BED459.jpeg
This was the unthreaded version, so we had to fix that.

Got scope and rings, just haven’t got around to mounting it.

Welcome to the CZ clan,
It's a lot of reading, but worthwhile. You never know when something will jump up.
For instance, what sights did you go with (especially the front)

Dave
Front sight is a mossberg tactical shot gun sight, upc 471738555476, at Cheaper Than Dirt, about $20, clamps direct to the bull barrel

Shot mine for the first time today, I’m not impressed. The CZ part is very good, the Boyd part is pure junk. It’s like shooting a 2x4 with a barrel attached. It’s extremely heavy, rougher than a Cobb, two slivers in my fingers already, balance is terrible. The adjustable cheek piece and butt plate, need a pry bar to move, the adjustment buttons barely move. its akin to 7th grade wood shop project, that got a C-. The CZ part is a solid 9 on the 1-10 scale, the stock is a solid 2, on a whole the complete rifle is somewhere between a 5 and a 6. A gun show purchase, you live and you learn. Probably either a candidate for a new stock or life as a safe queen.

Last edited: