Damn cliff swallows

j.baum

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2011
Montana
So I'm a few short days from closing on my first house, got a great deal and I'm very excited. Its a "new" home, a foreclosure with construction started in 2007 but never finished or lived in. Its a stucco exterior that seemed to attract every cliff swallow for 30 miles. I know to use a hose or power sprayer to knock down the old nests or keep the new nests from being built. I've also done a bit of reading on the Migratory Bird Act of 1918, so I'm trying to keep them from establishing a home or eggs/offspring. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or old secrets on preventing or keeping the birds away. Like always, thanks in advance.

Luke

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 29, 2002
Colorado
Re: Damn cliff swallows

One of those fake owls? Pet falcon? One of those ultrasonic thingers?

coldboremiracle

Freelance Sharpshooter
Minuteman
  • Jul 7, 2009
    Utah, north
    www.coldboremiracle.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of those fake owls? Pet falcon? One of those ultrasonic thingers? </div></div>

BB gun, cat taped to a long stick, harsh language(translated into swallow of course)played loudly from the window, or maybe a long line fishing net dipped in rubber cement?

These are all good ideas.

j.baum

Private
    Minuteman
    Mar 29, 2011
    Montana

Don't have any cats available...maybe I have a big enough stick for my irish setter, he is a bird dog after all....

Inspector Gadget

Private
    Minuteman
    Jun 4, 2006
    Jet City

Birds aren't gonna damage your home. They will help keep the mosquito population down. I suspect that there are other things in your life that have a higher priority.

j.baum

Private
    Minuteman
    Mar 29, 2011
    Montana

Damage? Maybe possible, probably not. I stopped counting after 100 nests, so that makes them a nuisance, which is my primary concern. I've dealt with just a few barn swallows when I lived in Montana, they were a pain in the ass. Besides, all the nests make the house look like shit. And I'm not really worried about the mosquito problem.

Maggot

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: j.baum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't have any cats available...maybe I have a big enough stick for my irish setter, he is a bird dog after all.... </div></div>

Youve answered your own question. Dog on a stick.

jcfd2201

Playing with fire!
    Minuteman
    Mar 3, 2010
    NE Arizona

Owl decoys work and those spinning wind hangers seem to keep them away too.

John L

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Apr 19, 2010
    MI

Invite the swallows over to your neighbor's house for a meet and greet.