• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Damn cliff swallows

j.baum

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2011
Montana
So I'm a few short days from closing on my first house, got a great deal and I'm very excited. Its a "new" home, a foreclosure with construction started in 2007 but never finished or lived in. Its a stucco exterior that seemed to attract every cliff swallow for 30 miles. I know to use a hose or power sprayer to knock down the old nests or keep the new nests from being built. I've also done a bit of reading on the Migratory Bird Act of 1918, so I'm trying to keep them from establishing a home or eggs/offspring. Just wondering if anyone has any tips or old secrets on preventing or keeping the birds away. Like always, thanks in advance.

Re: Damn cliff swallows

One of those fake owls? Pet falcon? One of those ultrasonic thingers?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of those fake owls? Pet falcon? One of those ultrasonic thingers? </div></div>

BB gun, cat taped to a long stick, harsh language(translated into swallow of course)played loudly from the window, or maybe a long line fishing net dipped in rubber cement?

These are all good ideas.

Don't have any cats available...maybe I have a big enough stick for my irish setter, he is a bird dog after all....

Birds aren't gonna damage your home. They will help keep the mosquito population down. I suspect that there are other things in your life that have a higher priority.

Damage? Maybe possible, probably not. I stopped counting after 100 nests, so that makes them a nuisance, which is my primary concern. I've dealt with just a few barn swallows when I lived in Montana, they were a pain in the ass. Besides, all the nests make the house look like shit. And I'm not really worried about the mosquito problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: j.baum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't have any cats available...maybe I have a big enough stick for my irish setter, he is a bird dog after all.... </div></div>

Youve answered your own question. Dog on a stick.

Owl decoys work and those spinning wind hangers seem to keep them away too.

Invite the swallows over to your neighbor's house for a meet and greet.