• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Dead air sandman L accuracy issue

Stewy151

Private
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2020
I am new to the suppressor world. I recently got a sand man L took it out and tried to sight it in was all over took the can off and in the picture the 3 top shot were with no can( I'm not a professional shooter) put the can on and the two lower shots were the first two shots the next two shots didn't hit paper. Was at a range at 100 with a lead sled. I am shooting a bergara 300 win mag with hornady precision Hunter 200 grain eld-x factory ammo. Any advise on what could cause such a drastic change would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20200924_225934623.jpg
    PXL_20200924_225934623.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 64
Going to need some additional info:
  1. Factory threaded barrel or local gunsmith. You will need to verify that the threads are concentric to the bore.
  2. Did you remove the bolt and look down the barrel before shooting to visually inspect alignment by chance?
  3. Which Keymo mount are you using, Dead Air or other? Is it installed correctly?
  4. Does the endcap indicate a baffle strike? If unsure post a good pic of the end cap.

Going to need some additional info:
  1. Factory threaded barrel or local gunsmith. You will need to verify that the threads are concentric to the bore.
  2. Did you remove the bolt and look down the barrel before shooting to visually inspect alignment by chance?
  3. Which Keymo mount are you using, Dead Air or other? Is it installed correctly?
  4. Does the endcap indicate a baffle strike? If unsure post a good pic of the end cap.
Factory threaded barrel.
I did not pull the bolt and look down the barrel. I will check that when I get home. Dead air recommended using an alignment rod to check for an alignment issue.
It is the dead air break that came with the can, I shimmed it as close as I could to 12 o'clock I had to tighten a bit more than I wanted to to get the last 1/16th ish of an inch to clock it right.
There are some scuff marks on the outside of one of the baffles but doesn't look like a strike, I didn't pull the cap but from the outside no visible damage to the end cap

Factory threaded barrel.
I did not pull the bolt and look down the barrel. I will check that when I get home. Dead air recommended using an alignment rod to check for an alignment issue.
It is the dead air break that came with the can, I shimmed it as close as I could to 12 o'clock I had to tighten a bit more than I wanted to to get the last 1/16th ish of an inch to clock it right.
There are some scuff marks on the outside of one of the baffles but doesn't look like a strike, I didn't pull the cap but from the outside no visible damage to the end cap

Good info. I'd follow up and check everything with an alignment rod at this point. The Sandman-L is a longish can and between the barrel, muzzle break, Keymo mount in the Sandman something may be slightly askew and you're possibly getting more of a kiss/glance rather than a full on strike.

I had this happen with a Savage factory threaded barrel and my TBAC 30P-1 several years ago. At 100yds I had a 14MOA downward POI shift. :oops:

Good info. I'd follow up and check everything with an alignment rod at this point. The Sandman-L is a longish can and between the barrel, muzzle break, Keymo mount in the Sandman something may be slightly askew and you're possibly getting more of a kiss/glance rather than a full on strike.

I had this happen with a Savage factory threaded barrel and my TBAC 30P-1 several years ago. At 100yds I had a 14MOA downward POI shift. :oops:
Looks like next step is either get an alignment rod or take it to a Smith and have the alignment checked. Thanks for the info