• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dedicated subsonic bolt gun

No, not at all thought your response is completely predictable. A person does not need to be in law enforcement to not think people should not be launching heavy bullets around in the dark in a populated areas. Nor to think that wildlife laws should be followed.

I am fairly certain that this will be an unpopular here but facts are facts. SS bullets are notoriously unstable in most rifles and often change direction to a high degree.

I am also fairly certain that every 10 acre yard owner will claim to be the only person within miles of where he lives. That is not were I see 10 acre yards. The ones I see are stacked one upon the other with each having a sewage lagoon as close to his neighbors house as possible. Yet his neighbor on the other side has his sewage lagoon next to his house so it all equals out.
Christ, it was a joke. I bet you’re a lot of fun at parties. 🤦🏼🤦🏼🤦🏼

IMG_3154.jpeg

Reactions: Savageman2506
Good for him. Guess someone was able to get a barrel from Ron. Meanwhile Spectre reamers, dies, and brass can be bought or rented today. Essentially the same cartridge. 8gr of Lil Gun fills up the Spectre case capacity.

You don't have to paste a bunch of FB screenshots. I'm a member of that group
Just starting to do some load development with the 338 Spectre. All data is with new brass & CCI primers, neck tension sort of felt like it was all over the place so that might explain a few of the odd numbers. Velocities match quickload when I increase case capacity to 29.4gr H2O.

Not enough data for a consensus on anything yet, I'm just posting posting raw data so that anyone else who starts working on load can have it to reference. This first run was just a spread of powder weights to give me something to compare to QL and have a starting point.

9" barrel w/ 9mm suppressor
Hornady 200gr SST
Reloader 17
2.088 COAL
82*, 850' ASL.

13.5gr - 1023fps
13.5gr - 1032fps
13.5gr - 1020fps
14.0gr - 1061fps
14.0gr - 1090fps
14.0gr - 1079fps
14.5gr - 1102fps
14.5gr - 1105fps
14.5gr - 1130fps
15.0gr - 1162fps
15.0gr - 1167fps
15.0gr - 1173fps
15.5gr - 1225fps
15.5gr - 1218fps
15.5gr - 1206fps
16.0gr - 1250fps
16.0gr - 1242fps
16.0gr - 1268fps
16.5gr - 1303fps
16.5gr - 1297fps
16.5gr - 1311fps

Comparing to QL, it looks like I could go as high as 17.5gr before I start getting close to 35kpsi pressures that I want to limit thing to as a max. QL claims just over 100% fill at 17.5 but it always seems to overestimate so we'll see how much I can cram in there next time.

I'd do a 338BR before I'd do a 338 razor back if I was building a dedicated sub bolt gun.

Standard 308win bolt face.
Easier (for me) to make brass
Better case fill, can use a faster burning powder such as N32c for a full case which means tigher SD/ES and quieter, cleaner burn. (This is debatable but in my experience I've had better luck with long range subs with Trailboss, Tinstar than with H110)
Most likely would feed better.
That's just my opinion, with what works for me.

Standard 308win bolt face.
Easier (for me) to make brass
Better case fill, can use a faster burning powder such as N32c for a full case which means tigher SD/ES and quieter, cleaner burn. (This is debatable but in my experience I've had better luck with long range subs with Trailboss, Tinstar than with H110)
Most likely would feed better.
That's just my opinion, with what works for me.
I would think the issue you would have is that you're going to be forming the case neck out of the 6BR body which means the brass is going to be way too thick. You would have to neck turn the shit out of that brass. That is the goodness of using pistol brass instead. Also not too sure about that "better case fill". In my opinion, the case fill is perfect in the 338 Spectre for getting a 300 grain bullet right at 1050fps. I think it would take a lot of experimentation to validate theories on which powder would work in which size of capacity. By the time you tested the theory you're already in it for a chamber reamer, a die reamer, and at least a die blank.

I guess there's also the difference of what best for long range subs means to you. Sounds to me like you're looking at long range accuracy. I'm primarily concerned about lowest possible. decibels. Which Charley means smallest possible powder charge.

As far as bolt face size, Zermatt solves those problems for you.

Reactions: JDBhunting365
I did...for reasons

ARC Nucleus action, Preferred Barrels 9" 300blk 1/7" cut with a Sig taper, Dead Air Nomad-30, JTAC Screech Owl chassis, PMM "Kate Moss" stock, and an old Tasco Super Sniper 10x on top because that's the only optic I had laying around that wasn't spoken for :giggle:

I wound up putting a Dead Air Xeno brake on it rather than just use the Sig taper; I've got more things with Xeno than are cut with Sig tapers so it makes moving things around easier. It's pretty much giggle-quiet with subs.

Attachments

• IMG_2226.jpg
    IMG_2226.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2232.jpg
    IMG_2232.jpg
    777.8 KB · Views: 53
I did...for reasons

ARC Nucleus action, Preferred Barrels 9" 300blk 1/7" cut with a Sig taper, Dead Air Nomad-30, JTAC Screech Owl chassis, PMM "Kate Moss" stock, and an old Tasco Super Sniper 10x on top because that's the only optic I had laying around that wasn't spoken for :giggle:

I wound up putting a Dead Air Xeno brake on it rather than just use the Sig taper; I've got more things with Xeno than are cut with Sig tapers so it makes moving things around easier. It's pretty much giggle-quiet with subs.
Any issues feedings from the PMAG AICS 223 mags ?

I run these in my Ruger American Ranch that I put a standard Ruger Short-action Magpul Hunter stock (AICS) on, instead of the STANAG stock, and they feed perfectly. They also have a much longer internal length, so you can load up into/near the lands, instead of being limited by the AR magazine's internal length.

Reactions: st1650
I run these in my Ruger American Ranch that I put a standard Ruger Short-action Magpul Hunter stock (AICS) on, instead of the STANAG stock, and they feed perfectly. They also have a much longer internal length, so you can load up into/near the lands, instead of being limited by the AR magazine's internal length.
Interesting. Magpul says they don't work great on the R700 action feeding 300blk. Maybe the Ruger action/bolt face is better than the 2lug R700.
I've also heard the Howa mini actions feed these good.

Not for me, no - I've tried a couple mags, I like the MDT ones the best with the Magpuls coming in second...the Ruger ones don't fit my chassis/action combo. They sit too low; it's probably adjustable, or I could just not buy those mags, so that's what I'm gonna do.

Reactions: st1650
What about a 375 raptor? 1-8 twist and the 400 grain subs are an absolute hammer. It’s repurposed 308 brass and you can still load supersonic rounds also. I have one myself and enjoy it

Most of my sub sonic rounds have been geared toward auto loaders. Did quite alot with standard 308 Win subs, in bolts with 12, 11.25,10, 9, 8 twists.. with barrels from 16" to 30" for fun plinking and its pretty accurate, with 175 gr SMK stable in slower twist.
The standard 50BMG bolt is totally fun with subs, and fairly cheap with the military bullets and capable of good accuracy, with the 650 gr which will stablize in the standard 15 twist.
Many of the discussed cartridges here will work, which my work better depends on the use and what is expected of it. I like the AR 15 16" 14 twist barreled 450 bushmaster with 502 gr GC cast for close range economical power, and fast follow up shots. If the range was extended the 8.6 Blackout has a range advantage but not an energy advantage as the 450 can shoot much heavier and has larger diameter.
I am still waiting on the fast twist 510 barrel to be delivered along with a slower twist 8.6, 6.5 twist to replace the 3 twist. The 510 will be chambered for the 510 whisper, already have the reamer, action, etc. Going big on this particular build.