• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Destroyed....Pics are UP!

Re: Destroyed

Did you ever chamber any FL rounds before you threw powder?

If you have a rebarel you 100% Have to re-set your dies for that chamber. I just got my 270WSM back and it was a factory Rem barrel before and when the smith chambered it he used a NEW PTG reamer and met SAMMI--sp-- specs. Fired 2 factory loads and when I got home I could not chamber my brass....once fired and fresh FL sized....I ended up having to bump the shoulder back a very long ways...trimming the die it needed so much, but it was within SAMMI specs on the chamber.

Point being...was it hard to chamber the round? It just seems like a lot of force needed to tear a case rim and not be able to remove the round.....

k1ypzr.jpg

...and to think, I was going to post pics of my broken handle on my fifty. Now I'm thinking it's no big deal.

I think 7mm nailed it too. The bullet stuck to the rod, drove deep into the powder column of a very stuck case. That explains why "the rest of the case is still stuck" in the chamber. With enough pressure, I do believe the primer anvil can be detonated in reverse.

Why do we tell people to use caution when depriming live primers?

With the bolt pulled back, the force direction would be be toward the muzzle and breach. With the rod and bullet blocking the barrel, the breach would be the path of least resistance, blowing off the case head. Especially if this was a many times fired case.

With un-noticed insipient case seperation, this would be even more probable.

Brut4,

How many loads did you have on this case?

That's not mud on his boots. It's what probably ran down his pant leg when the cartridge touched off out of battery.

Jason,

Got any other angles of that case head? It's making my brain hurt trying to see the flash hole on that Boxer primed head. That isn't a Berdan primed case, so what the f are those two holes?

Doesn't look like there was an undiagnosed insipient case seperation, based on where that head is seperated.

<span style="font-size: 17pt">SERENITY NOW!!!!!! SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!!!!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis_in_VA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That would / should be made into a charm for a necklace that you should wear at all times.
And when you get the urge ( I call it "The Storm is coming") all you need to do is remember why that Bolt Knob is on the necklace.
</div></div>

I think in order to remember he should shove the bolt knob up his keister, he'll remember. Re-insert every day.

OK so if this happens to you, you get a live round stuck in the chamber, remove the bolt and then take it straight to your 'smith. Make sure he knows there is a live round in the chamber before you hand it to him or he won't be happy with you.

I've heard that you can remove the bolt, remove the barreled action and soak the action in a bucket of water overnight to "kill" the round. I don't know if that's true or not. You can also try putting oil down the bore, enough oil to completely cover the bullet and use a very tight fitting patch or set of patches in it and then tap the cleaning rod on the tight patches, the hydrolic action of the oil (and lubrication) may push the cartridge out.

Bro, there is a book out there called "Stop the Anger Now", it's mostly psychobabble but there is some useable information in it.

Pics of the cinder block? lmao

Yep, hindsight, remove the bolt completly and it might just still be a stuck case problem even if it blew but the rest would be intact.

I am guessing that badger rail, and bottom metal is tweaked from the downstroke on the cinder block?

Seems the brake, bbl, lug, trigger,and action are all GTG and maybe a replacement stock from McM. Just need a bolt, bottom metal and rail to get back up and going.

Take the tube back to the smith and let the reamer eat out the case and check out the throat.

Easy fix, no problem!

Mark

There's only one way to know for sure what really happened. Bro, you're going to have to do it again!

Que, the pic of the case head is the back of the case head where the stamping should be. The half covered hole is the primer pocket. This case had two previous firings.

I think I was as much pissed off about almost being killed As I was about the stuck case.

I had a speer case fired in an AR get into my WW brass that I neck size for my bolt .223 somehow, I loaded it and chambered it without noticing... until I could only close the bolt halfway. And couldn't open it. I managed to rip the extractor through the rim, then stuck a cleaning rod down the bore and hammered it out. Luckily it didn't blow up on me.

You're dumb as fuck for smashing the rifle on a cinderblock though I've got to say. That is monumentally stupid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneeyedmac</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 17pt">SERENITY NOW!!!!!! SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!!!!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dennis_in_VA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That would / should be made into a charm for a necklace that you should wear at all times.
And when you get the urge ( I call it "The Storm is coming") all you need to do is remember why that Bolt Knob is on the necklace.
</div></div>

I think in order to remember he should shove the bolt knob up his keister, he'll remember. Re-insert every day.

OK so if this happens to you, you get a live round stuck in the chamber, remove the bolt and then take it straight to your 'smith. Make sure he knows there is a live round in the chamber before you hand it to him or he won't be happy with you.

I've heard that you can remove the bolt, remove the barreled action and soak the action in a bucket of water overnight to "kill" the round. I don't know if that's true or not. You can also try putting oil down the bore, enough oil to completely cover the bullet and use a very tight fitting patch or set of patches in it and then tap the cleaning rod on the tight patches, the hydrolic action of the oil (and lubrication) may push the cartridge out.

Bro, there is a book out there called "Stop the Anger Now", it's mostly psychobabble but there is some useable information in it. </div></div>

The water will not kill that round. Unless ofcourse you have some real sloppy primer pockets or loose neck, real loose neck.

BUT, the hydraulic idea does work. I've seen me do it.

Well...if you are sure the bolt was open, then you had an explosion rather than a burn of the powder...I believe the internal ballistic folks call it a, "deflagration to detonation" episode. Supposedly a light load of slow burning powder in a big case can sometimes cause a kaboom like that. Light a candle next time you pass a Catholic church. Leave the powder at home. Incidently the primer may not have been the culprit at all. I have seen (twice) a guy shoot at an old cans of smokeless powder, and once was a Big Kaboom...so concussion can cause ignition.

Brut4c you need a rubber band gun. That way when it fucks up and you go postal you wont be out the $4k to replace it.The old sportsmans wharehouse has them in stock.
Just make sure you wear eye protection, those rubberbands can take an eye out. crazy Oregonians.

Mac

hey brut just out of curiousity what do you do for a living to were you were able to trash a 4000 dollar stick

Deadly, I'm a slum lord/ R.E. agent. No I'm not rich by any means especially in this market. The money NEVER crossed my mind at the time. You know that scene in the incredible hulk 2 where Hulk is strangling the other dude with a chain and the best line hulk can come up with is "HUUUUUUUUUULK" ? Yea that was me.

If you knew me well you would know that this is a shade out of character but you would also know how much time , energy and sacrifice I put into this gun only to turn out to be a complete disaster from the word go. It was the final straw. I am now becoming sick about it. trust me.

The worst part of it to me was my entire family was in the yard when I came out the shop door and did the olympic hammer throw (good 60-70 feet) with the poor gun then proceeded to beat it over the block then threw it 30 feet back through the shop door all the while saying fuck a lot in various forms. NOT a good example for my kids who have never seen that side of me. Sick I tell ya.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brut4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The worst part of it to me was my entire family was in the yard when I came out the shop door and did the olympic hammer throw (good 60-70 feet) with the poor gun then proceeded to beat it over the block then threw it 30 feet back through the shop door all the while saying fuck a lot in various forms. NOT a good example for my kids who have never seen that side of me. Sick I tell ya.
</div></div>

LMAO! I so would have paid good money to see that series of events.

Yesterday, I was having issues with a .30 caliber rifle due to some crappy full length sizing dies. My brother saw me slam a MTM box against the support beam of the shooting shed. I cussed a little, aplogized to my brother and continued shooting.

But I ain't never seen anything so screwed up as that. If I did that I would not have told it.

Im not gonna lie, that was awesome

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
k1ypzr.jpg
</div></div>

Haha. It should say...
"Don't go hunting for Big Foot alone"

Re: Destroyed....Pics are UP!

brut4c,

Man,Just glad your OK!

Sounds like something that would happen to me!I hate it when Murphy comes a knocking.

I went over the handle bars of my Gixer 1000 at 150 MPH because of a weird brake malfunction.My beautiful bike looked like your gun.Heck...I kinda looked like your gun too.GEEZ,I know how you feel.

Hey,because of your telling us what happened,it might keep someone else from getting seriously injured later on when they get a cartridge stuck.

Damn,if I ever get a case stuck I'm taking my gun to the gunsmith!

Oh...Are you by chance related to Rampage Jackson.LOL

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brut4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you knew me well you would know that this is a shade out of character but you would also know how much time , energy and sacrifice I put into this gun only to turn out to be a complete disaster from the word go.
</div></div>

It only turned out to be a complete disaster because you smashed the rifle on a cinderblock you muppet

So you spent a crapload of money on a rifle you couldn't get to shoot a ton better than a good factory rifle....have to wonder if you'd really gone all the way with load developmet etc...rebarrel it, get the first shell stuck, and destroy an expensive stock that probably had nothing to do with the issue?

I must say it has been entertaining to read this thread, but much in the way it was entertaining to read about Michael Jackson's moronic self-destructive life. I am glad you can laugh at yourself after all this, because this was one of the most idiotic tantrums I've ever heard of. It's like the battery goes dead in your new car so you take a sledgehammer to it.

For those of you who might think nothing good came from this , I showed this thread to my wife and she forgave me for beating our old printer to death
wink.gif

I have owned several items I wish I would have done this to but didn't and I applaud you for having the human decency to own up to it .

You my friend ROCK!! Your not allowed to work on any of my firearms but you rock nonetheless .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael N</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you who might think nothing good came from this , I showed this thread to my wife and she forgave me for beating our old printer to death
wink.gif

</div></div>

Office Space Syndrome????

Nope just good old fashioned anger , or "I saw the Blue screen of death while trying to print a shipping label one too many fricking times." Syndrome . That printer was a piece of shit and I wanted to make sure no-one EVER had to deal with that pile of shit and its software ever again .

analysis-you just witnessed a slam-fire detonation. Contrary to what has been postulated- the bolt slammed forward via inertia into the end of the partially chambered cartridge. The stuck cartridge did not allow the bolt handle to fullycam down. Subsequently, when retracted the firing pin moved to a fully relaxed (uncocked) position; i.e. it was protruding thru the firing pin hole. Since the rim of the cartridge had been partially torn away in the first attempt to remove the cartridge there was nothing in the path of the bolt as it slammed forward into the rear of the cartridge.Normally, the extractor lip would have to jump the cartridge rim to seat fully against the base of the cartridge. This was not the case. The rest of the cartridge should be in the rifle chamber. It also appears that the damage to the floorplate is in the opposite direction to any force/pressure from the head separation. This appears to be supported by what appears to be embedded limestone on both the floorplate and receiver. The McMillan stock and all fiberglass stocks are weakest at precisely this location. This is why a 1/4" sidewall thickness per side is desired when inletting an action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2tuf4u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">analysis-you just witnessed a slam-fire detonation. Contrary to what has been postulated- the bolt slammed forward via inertia into the end of the partially chambered cartridge. The stuck cartridge did not allow the bolt handle to fullycam down. Subsequently, when retracted the firing pin moved to a fully relaxed (uncocked) position; i.e. it was protruding thru the firing pin hole.</div></div>

Sorry, don't see how this could have happened.

The bolt body prevents the striker from going forward until the bolt has rotated to the closed position. Also the sear would have engaged the striker. (hopefully his trigger was not set so low that it would have allowed the sear to bounce, allowing the striker to over ride the sear, A whole different safety issue!)

I may be wrong, but I do not see how the firing pin could have hit the primer without the bolt very close to being fully closed.

My 2 cents
Dave P

Nice try but thats a negative.

Whiskey, I thought all men had hair on their knuckles. Whats your excuse?
wink.gif

Re: Destroyed...Pics are UP!

I'm sorry about what happened to your beautiful rifle.

I am probably going to get flamed like hell for this, but I think that while I understand you being frustrated with the situation, I think that someone with your level of temperament should not be anywhere around firearms. Your story scares me somewhat, moreso because I think of your tantrum, and then I think about what else could set you off.

When I get into a discussion about RKBA, I always say something like "The reason I believe in the RKBA is because a firearm in the hands of a responsible citizen is a beautiful thing". I don't think that applies here. I think that someone else has asked about alcohol demonstrates that your reaction to what happened sounds very irrational, extreme, and irresponsible.

Sorry, but that's how I see it. I would suggest you seek out some anger management help.