• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

did some silhoutte today...

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
i just came back from a smallbore silhoutte shoot, which was an absolute blast! humbles you quickly when your used to shooting prone or off a bench with bags / bipods and then have to shoot freehand.

i realized that in this game, (and if anybody is thinking about doing it) a bull barrel may not be the answer as fatigue sets in quick, and to use a lower power scope with a target or mildot that will just cover the white animal completely, then squeeze off on a light trigger. my small target dot and high magnification shown me how much i was moving around, then trying to compensate for it made it worse. also getting the elevation dope correct for the various distances of 40 m (43.5 y)chicken, 60 m (65.5 y)pig, 77m (84.3 y)turkey, and 100 m (109.3 y)ram, is also critical. (they are not actual size, the chicken is about 2x3 inches, with the ram approx 8x4 inches, with areas between the legs being open makes the surface area less). you shoot at 5 of the same animal within 2.5 minutes, take a short break, shoot at five more, then rotate to a differnt animal and distance. 40 shots in one relay.

i also realized it's better to "lock in" your grip on the firearm and then place the crosshairs on targets by pivoting at the waist and not by adjusting with the shoulders and arms.

since we don't have any type of a rimfire tactical style matches (like the official/unofficial one Joe Martin is doing here at the hide), or even something similar in my area, this about the only option. tried a benchrest a few weeks ago, don't have $10,000 lying around for a .22 and a rest (plus the bechrest takes alot of the "shooting" out of it and makes it more of an equipment deal).

so if anybody is thinking of trying smallbore silhoutte, give it a whirl. it is fun watching those steel animals react and flip through the air when hit well.

seems a good set up would be:
accurate "lightweight" 22 lr rifle with light trigger
3-9 or 4-16 power scope with easy adj. turrets, heavy target dot or mil dot
consistant ammo and lots of practice.

seems to be an economical, fun way to enhance and train for "shortrange" offhand shooting skills.

Re: did some silhoutte today...

Ideal setup for hunter-class silhouette is a medium-weight rifle with heavy barrel(not bull, has to have a taper of some sort), fiberglass or wood stock with a high comb, high rings, a 24power scope with 1/4moa dot reticle, 2lb trigger. The attached pic is a finnfire that I built up using a Nesika Bay silhouette stock, lilja target taper barrel and custom one-off bottom metal. All in that rifle weighed 8.3lbs which is actually lighter than the max for hunter-class at 8.5lbs. You don't want a light rifle because they are easier to move around, you want to build up your training so that you can get your hold and that hold is what helps you make the shots. You want the higher magnification on your scope because you want to pick a spot on the target and you pre-load the trigger until your crosshairs cross that spot and you break the shot. SB silhouette is some of the most fun I have had shooting but also some of the most daunting in the wind.

finnfirefinished.jpg

Top Predator, are you allowed the use of a sling in these matches?

Just today I was thinking of organizing a 25 & 50 yard paper silhouette target match for one of our club's monthly offhand .22 shoots since we don't have a lot of metal silhouettes to use. I see paper ones are available from;

http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/

I thought it would be a nice change from what we normally do, which is shooting at bull targets.

I think the members would enjoy it, though we don't have a large following and most of us are in our 50's & 60's, with a couple teenagers and a couple 30+ year old members, but we're mostly an aging club.

I think I'll go order some targets, (TQ 12, and TQ 13) possibly?

The metal matches do sound fun!
smile.gif

No slings. Smallbore (and highpower) Silhouette is a tough game. I've seen more than one "distinguished rifleman" comment that HP Silhouette is the toughest of the sanctioned rifle comps.
Two feet on the ground, no coats, no gloves (unless its cold).

I love it. Very humbling.
I'd agree to start with lower magnification, but as you get the hang of it you'll want more power. Picking a "spot" on the animal is key to consistency. All the animals are roughly 12 square moa of area. Smallbore is just 1/5 scale of highpower.
Most shooters ust 20-24X as top power.

Anschutz 54's rule the lines as well. Since edgerat shared his nice Finn, I gotta show off my hunter guns (Anschutz 1712 top, R700 in 7-08 bottom, both in Pharr Stocks with Weaver T24 scopes):

twins005.jpg

For perspective on Highpower, here's the view from the Rams at 500m to the line:
DSC03680.jpg

Please try the regular Silhouette matches, as we need new shooters!!!

I used to shoot silhouettes with a single shot, heavy barrel, Remington 581. Load a round, mount the rifle, shoot, lower the rifle, load a round, mount the rifle... It wasn't as bad as you'd think, and the forced breaks allowed me to reset mentally.
Also, 2.5 minutes is a lot longer than you'd think. Take your time and don't rush your shots. The best part about silhouette shooting is that it teaches you to accept your wobble. Any hit is good, center, edge, anything. It takes off some of the mental pressure to snatch the shot.

no slings, like davenho wrote, you stay in the standing position, load a round, get the rifle shouldered and set, then squeeze. no rest, no sling, just you and the rifle. i imagine those paper targets from pistoleer would work if they ratioed size wise at 50 ft from the animals usual distance. the nice thing about the various distances is you gotta adjust for the different ranges and the wind comes into play more. here's a website for target sizes and some other stuff
http://members.cox.net/riflesilhouette/
i simply put a piece of paper over the screen and traced the targets, then made copies. but not quite as neat as seeing the reaction on the metal ones.
some more interesting sites:
http://www.steelchickens.com/
http://www.sunnyvalegunclub.com/activities/silhouette.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_silhouette

scoring is pretty simple also. if you knock one over it counts as a hit, if it still stands, it's a miss. i hit 27 (+3 moved but didn't fall) out of 2 40 round relays (80 targets). the regulars there said that wasn't so bad just starting out. i was actually pretty happy with the score, as it is abit more challenging than one thinks.

Thanks for the websites Top Predator. Last night I did run off some paper silhouettes (not scaled) to be shot from 25, 37.5, & 50 yards just
to give the members a small taste of silhouette shooting. I'll try and post some pictures tonight after supper to give everyone an idea of what I made.

Those look to be some interesting sites and I will have to check with our local metal fabricator to see what he would charge to make us up some regulation silhouettes. Afterall, he is the club president...
smile.gif

Joe, I've got scaled .pdf files of the animals. Let me know if you want them.

Thanks sobrbiker883.

I'll PM you my email address. My scanner/printer isn't hooked up to my computer at the moment, but I'll save them to file so when it is, then I'll copy them.

I have a copier for making targets in the other room that I just use for that purpose. I've never hooked it up to the computer as I never intended to use it for anyother purpose.

So yes, I would appreciate it. Many thanks!

Here is the targets I made last night. The black dot in each target is
worth 3 points, anywhere else on the target is a 1 point value.

Chicken - 25 yards, Pig & Turkey - 37.5 yards, Buffalo & Ram - 50 yards
100_0371.jpg

Agree with you on the light trigger and high mag. scope. That wind plays heck with theses bullets. Good advice Edgerat