• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Dilemma on federal match ammo - need advice

DodgeThis

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2010
Hello all, I need advice on which ammo should I go with my Savage 10fp. I shot last weekend with a federal 150g I was hitting sub moa pairs at 100y. When I finally used the federal 168 match ammo, my shots were all the way down to the left, barely hitting paper.

I did the necessary adjustment on my scope and was able to hit sub moa groups with it as well. I didn't expect that there will be a huge difference in POI with the 2 ammo at 100 yards.

Being new to long range shooting, should I stick to 150g or use the 168g match ammo w/ smk?

Any input will be appreciated.

Re: Dilemma on federal match ammo - need advice

What are you shooting? If you are shooting paper at 100 yards and both group equally (though different points of impact), shot whatever is cheaper. If however you are going to move out to say 400, 500, or 600 yards use the GMM it will (normally) be more consistent at that range.

Good luck

Jerry

You have just figured out why we like to shoot thousands of the exact same loadings.

You cannot have consistency, when you change stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are you shooting? If you are shooting paper at 100 yards and both group equally (though different points of impact), shot whatever is cheaper. If however you are going to move out to say 400, 500, or 600 yards use the GMM it will (normally) be more consistent at that range.

Good luck

Jerry </div></div>

Jerry, I will just be shooting paper targets from 100-300 yards max. Would a cheaper federal 150g be as effective at 200-300 yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have just figured out why we like to shoot thousands of the exact same loadings.

You cannot have consistency, when you change stuff. </div></div>

I know. These are growing pains for me being new to the sport. I am at a crossroad between shotting cheaper ammo vs. match grade ammo since I am not reloading.

thanks for the response guys.

The group buy on Southwest Ammo is a smoking deal!

29.00 a box of 20 rds is a smokin deal. 175smk and wincheser brass

I thought it was $1 a round for 175 SMK in winchester brass for the group buy, $24 a box outside the group buy?

The 175s in Lapua brass is 29.00 a box. 175 Win brass is 1.00 a round, 200 minimum purchase.