• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing DIY Chassis

CZ Kid

Private
Minuteman
Apr 7, 2012
Ireland
Has anyone ever attempted to build a rifle chassis out of box aluminium or something like that? i was thinking of trying it, maybe adding a ar15 grip and some kind of adjustable butt and cheek rest.

Any ideas or pic would be greatly appreciated.

Re: DIY Chassis

Did a few like this several years back. The action is a Mauser and the barrel is a chrome lined 1919 Browming machine-gun barrel in .308. The chassis is milled from one piece of 1.25x3 6061T6 aluminum.

100_0765.jpg

I'll have a shop again soon and I plan on building custom items like this again. So yes I could.

ok that looks far more professional than i imagined mine would be. I was thinking of a lenght of 40mm box with the action on top and a grip and butt added, keep it simple.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cvcustoms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice can u make one for a 338lm. savage </div></div>

why? i dont want to sound like a dick or loose a builder his work but why not just get a 110ba with the chassis already on it?

Matthias:
No worries bud.

OP:
Ive done a couple using tubing fore and aft of a machined bedding/magwell section. AI chassis are built this way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matthias</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cvcustoms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice can u make one for a 338lm. savage </div></div>

why? i dont want to sound like a dick or loose a builder his work but why not just get a 110ba with the chassis already on it? </div></div>

True but I have the 110fcp with us stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cvcustoms</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matthias</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cvcustoms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice can u make one for a 338lm. savage </div></div>

why? i dont want to sound like a dick or loose a builder his work but why not just get a 110ba with the chassis already on it? </div></div>

True but I have the 110fcp with us stock </div></div>

Are you wanting to get rid of the H&S? (I am assuming you have an H&S, not US).

I have the BA chassis, and might be willing to work a trade/transaction out. PM me if you're interested.

As for building a chassis, I would suggest doing more than just a box tube. It would be a lot better to get bar stock and machine out an actual bedding area for the gun. This way you can control where the recoil lug is, and what its sitting against.

Don't forget that the .338LM is a big caliber that creates a fair amount of force.