• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Do-it-all Turkey Gun Recommendations???

springerjb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2010
Ephraim, UT
So my father-in-law leaves me a voicemail looking for turkey gun recommendations, since I'm the family gun nut. I'm more of a pistol, rifle, shotty (in that order) guy so I'm here looking for opinions. Cost is a factor. As is ease of use (i.e. simple), easy maintenance, and knowing my father-in-law he's going to want a wooden "old school" stock.

I realize most are inclined to say semi-auto. But for him I'm thinking a $350-500 O/U with a good selection of chokes. Am I way off here?

Re: Do-it-all Turkey Gun Recommendations???

You can't beat a Rem 870 for its price and ease of use. They make a shorter barreled version for $350'ish with a regular stock and a thumb-hole style for around $400. Rarely have I needed the advantage of a semi-auto while turkey hunting (and I own an 1187 dedicated turkey gun).

2nds on the the remington 870. I would also recommend a mossberg 835 or 500 if you can find one for your suitable for budget!!

Rem 870 supermag or Mossberg 835 you can find both of these in the lower of your price range.

Here is just some of my opinion/recommendations of many years of turkey hunting for turkey gun prerequesites:

1. Pump or Semiauto
2. Synthetic stock with a camo finish on the entire gun
3. Short barrel (for easy maneuverability)
4. Extra full turkey choke (you should pattern the gun with multiple different shot sizes and loads so you know what shells shoot the best pattern and your Max effective range for putting the big K.O on that Gobbler!!!)
5. Sling (you can cover quite a bit of ground and it's just nice to sling your gun for long walks to different locations)

This is all just my opinion, Now good luck on putting the smack down on a big Ole' Thunder Chicken!!!!!

Best combo in the woods hands down is a Rem. 870 with a Rhino Choke shooting Custum Nitro shells.

Have seen turkey taken over 60 yards with this combo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jgn8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rem 870 supermag or Mossberg 835 you can find both of these in the lower of your price range.

Here is just some of my opinion/recommendations of many years of turkey hunting for turkey gun prerequesites:

1. Pump or Semiauto
2. Synthetic stock with a camo finish on the entire gun
3. Short barrel (for easy maneuverability)
4. Extra full turkey choke (you should pattern the gun with multiple different shot sizes and loads so you know what shells shoot the best pattern and your Max effective range for putting the big K.O on that Gobbler!!!)
5. Sling (you can cover quite a bit of ground and it's just nice to sling your gun for long walks to different locations)

This is all just my opinion, Now good luck on putting the smack down on a big Ole' Thunder Chicken!!!!! </div></div>

I second the Mossberg, I have a 500 full camo and love it. They make them in wood stocks too. Theyre pretty durable and pretty much on par with the 870s. Its just personal preference.

Dirty Drew, I agree a Mossberg 500 is a very durable and reliable shotgun. I only left it out because I perfer to use 3 1/2 inch magnums which is a capability the 500 does not have. If the user is never gonna use 3 1/2 inch then heck yeah a Mossberg 500 is a great choice also.
To be honest the last couple that I have killed with a gun have been with a Knight TK2000 muzzleloading 12 gauge shotgun. It's all camo with a thumbhole synthetic stock. I have got 2 Spring Gobblers under it's belt. Shoots a heck of a pattern BUT, Kicks like a mule!!!! Very fun though

Cheers,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jgn8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only left it out because I perfer to use 3 1/2 inch magnums which is a capability the 500 does not have. If the user is never gonna use 3 1/2 inch then heck yeah a Mossberg 500 is a great choice also.
</div></div>

I had a Mossberg 935 in Mossy Oak Obsession that used only 3 inch or 3 1/2 inch shells.

Something about it, just didn't agree with me, and to this day, I still have a sour taste in my mouth when it comes to semi-auto shotguns because of this. Don't ask me why! It was a terrific gun! It was always reliable, it NEVER jammed! I just could not love it.

Hard to get a good quality double barrel for 350-500. Quality in a double is more important than you think, as the barrels need to be set perfect, to get a good feel, and point of pattern.

Hard to beat the Remington 870 in your price range, it is reliable as they come, and you can get it old school in wood.

A used browning A-5 can often be picked up for less than 500.

Also around 500 you can get a used Browning Gold or Winchester SX2 (same gun really), the gas system is reliable enough, and is good for recoil reduction when shooting heavier loads. Super easy to clean, and can probably go 1000 or more without cleaning, although I wouldn't do it. Sometimes if your lucky you can also get a nice used Beretta 390 or 391 in your price range.

If recoil might be a concern now or in the future, go with a gas operated semi auto.

If you have to use a shotgun then get a 870. If you can use a rifle or something else it makes it much easier. Here in ND we can use handguns. If we could use rifles a 22lr would be the best option.

For a bargain gun, I love my Mossy 500. Patterns great, always reliable, and with the ported barrel it kicks less than my Mossy 935. If 3.5" is really needed, Mossberg has the 535 which is basically a 3.5" version of the 500.

I used an 870 for many years as a turkey gun, short barrel with a turkey choke, I have good results with a Pattern Master choke tube. But, if he'd like what I consider the perfect turkey gun option, get a full stock with a pistol grip. That may sound odd, but I use a short barrel Benelli M1 with the pistol grip. If you've turkey hunted much and use the back to the tree method with gun on your knee, then you can't beat the control and long term comfort ( sometimes you'll sit for and hour with hand on receiver) that you get with that stock.

870 all day long. 1100 following that if you want to hunt ducks too. The Mossberg 500 is another good option. Those guns are great yo carry in the field and if you get a scratch on your gun its not that big of a deal. 1100 you would be most worried about messing up out of the three in weather conditions due to it being a semi.

Super Nova's are good, see if there is a used M1 S90 field gun in your area, great semi-auto.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rino251</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Benelli Super Nova's are a great turkey gun and should be in your price range. </div></div>