• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Do you sort your brass by # firings?

kentuckyMarksman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2018
I've been sorting my brass by headstamp and number of firings for a couple of years now. I was recently given some Sinclair tools for neck turning. If I start neck turning, do I need to continue sorting my brass by number of firings? I'm thinking about turning my necks to 14 thousandths after the next time I trim it.

I know that the thickness of the brass will be slightly thinner on brass that has been fired more. How much of a difference does that really make?

Currently shooting handloads using FGMM brass out of a R700 in 308.

I don't neck turn, but I would continue to separate the brass. That way you might know how many firings you get after neck turning. Just what I would do.
Keep shooting ...

I turn my .308 brass necks to .014 keep all my brass segregated by number of firings. If precision shooting is what one is doing, keeping things as consistent as possible is imperative. So, I make it a point to not mix anything up.

How much of a difference various number of firings of the brass makes in thickness that might make a difference, I don't know. But I feel it's just easier to keep track of such variables by not mixing things up.

For my precision rifles, I keep them separate and track my number of firings... however with my mixture of 308 and 556 loads I dont.

For rifle brass, absolutely.
Pistol brass, not so much. I have close to 20 firings on some of my .45acp cases.

Reactions: Gustav7
Yes . .....dont mix number of firing on brass.......only asking for head scratching

if you dont anneal keep sorting your brass by firings, i dont think headstamp is too important unless one has ocd i guess