• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Does rifling twist direction matter, and does it matter in ballistic calculators? How does rifling direction affect the calculators?

Dezelrig

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
Arvada, Colorado
I see that some or most ballistic calculators have a check box for right or left hand twist. Hornady's 4DOF does not have this check box. Is Hornady making the assumption that everything is right hand twist?

I have a left hand Chanlynn barrel I'm attempting to dial in using 4DOF.

In short, Yes, it does have an effect on it. Frank talked about this just today (maybe yesterday) on his podcast "the everyday sniper". If you haven't subscribe yet, I definitely recommend it. Additionally, there are a few videos on Youtube that talk through the advantages of left hand twist barrels and how they negate a lot of the coriolis effect/spin drift.

It does appear the Hornady 4DOF assumes everything is a right hand twist as there is no way to mark the input as left hand twist and there are no means to input a negative value into the calculator.

In short, Yes, it does have an effect on it. Frank talked about this just today (maybe yesterday) on his podcast "the everyday sniper". If you haven't subscribe yet, I definitely recommend it. Additionally, there are a few videos on Youtube that talk through the advantages of left hand twist barrels and how they negate a lot of the coriolis effect/spin drift.

Okay. I’ll have to listen to what he says on the podcast.

Thanks!

Some calculators let you turn off spin drift and corialis.
With that off I get a 1 click difference at 600 yrds for a start unless we go subs then it shows up sooner?