• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Doing something wrong

dmuldrew

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 24, 2002
Missouri
All right guys. Been around here since 2002. I read a lot and look at the pics in the pit. Last year around Christmas time I bought a fancy rifle and fancy scope from peeps on this site. First weather, then Covid, then life got in the way. Finally today all the stars and planets aligned and off to the range I go. Set up a target at 50 yds to get on paper. Removed the bolt, aligned the barrel with the bulls eye. Look thru the scope and the crosshairs are low. I cant get enough out of the elevation turret to align the crosshairs with the bulls eye. More pics added for scope and mount. Sorry about the size of the pics!

AI AXSR .338 LM. Any help, advice, guidance or sorcery is welcomed.

All was not lost. My AR15 with the Rare Breed trigger runs like a champ.
2FFF4CEB-955E-4B39-A149-D7FDA3BFBC59.jpeg
F2E80FCE-2029-4A19-828F-482313CC142D.jpeg
0942DF13-3AED-4309-9B70-C7F4EB25C172.jpeg
FB93D983-43C3-4A4E-82B6-51DBE3B6D896.jpeg
B2F0D8E0-6220-4701-81F9-4F289E32DE71.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you familiar with how to use the zero stop on that scope?

A 20moa base shouldn't have you running out of elevation. I suspect your going to need to adjust the zero stop. I'm not familiar with that scope, so I can't help you there.

Do you have the manual?

Don't knw much about schmidts. But maybe previous owner had scope set to his rifle. ie... zero stop set

Reactions: stefan73

A 20moa base shouldn't have you running out of elevation. I suspect your going to need to adjust the zero stop. I'm not familiar with that scope, so I can't help you there.

Do you have the manual?
Read my mind! Lol

Reactions: ken226

Do you have the manual?
Yes I do.

20moa scope base and 20moa on the rail = 40moa the scope should have more travel then that

Try this video.

Looks like you'll need lock the turret, loosen two screws, unlock it, then rotate the turret enough to get the extra elevation you need, then retighten the screws.

If someone who owns one of these hops in with different advice, follow it. I dont have one of these, and am just making an educated guess based on how it appears to work.

Reactions: camocorvette
On second thought,

What a fucking pile……I’ll start the bidding at $3k for the whole package

Seeing as I’ll need to bend the barrel to get it zeroed anyways 😁

Yeah this shit never happened with my GAP Rock and the 10X Leuopold scope on it.

A question:

In your pic, the turret's zero is aligned with the index. Is that the limit of it's rotation? Does it stop with that -0-, in that position?

If so, that's a pretty solid indicator that the previous owners zero is still where the zero stop is set.

Reactions: hafejd30
A question:

In your pic, the turret's zero is aligned with the index. Is that the limit of it's rotation? Does it stop with that -0-, in that position?

If so, that's a pretty solid indicator that the previous owners zero is still where the zero stop is set.
Yes that’s where it stops.

So, if I'm understanding the mechanics of that design right, it should be an easy fix. Loosen the 2 screws first, turn the drum counterclockwise about a mil or two, then re-tighten the screws.

Now the erector stem will not have moved, but you should have enough additional elevation range on the drum to get it to zero now.

Once it's zeroed, to set the zero stop back to -0-, just loosen the screws, spin the drum clockwise to -0-, and re-tighten the screws.

Unless someone who actually has one comes along with a correction, I think that'll work.

Nice rig, as others have said, you should be able to get a 100 yard zero with 50 or 60 MOA rail/mount combo with that scope. You want to be slightly above barrel line of sight at 50 yards to be close to 100 yard zero.

I have a different turret on a SB, a double turn. Probably different. Read the manual carefully if I recall there are some warnings about removing the turret top when the screws are loose. Might not apply to your SB.

Was just typing out how to reset everything, but looks like you have it. If not, PM me. I’ll send you my cell number and you can FaceTime me or something. I have several S&Bs with that turret. I can walk you through how to zero it.

If the crosshairs are low, you have to dial “down” to get them to align with the bullseye. Not up. Just making sure you were dialing the right direction. Two full revs of UP won’t help you unless you already got Down far enough to zero.

Sounds like he was against the zero stop and couldn’t dial down. He needed to reset the zero stop to add enough to dial down.

Covid and all that shit didnt stop you...you just jumped so deep into the deep end of the pool it has took this long to get back to the surface........

Damn nice gear.

Did you say .338 LM?

I hope you have shot something before this.

Reactions: ken226
Sounds like he was against the zero stop and couldn’t dial down. He needed to reset the zero stop to add enough to dial down.
Everyone was assuming that was the issue. But his comment about "reset and now have 2 full turns of elevation" made me wonder if he was dialing the wrong direction. Probably not, but if he's a newbie I figured its worth mentioning.

Glad you figured it out!

That $3500 is ready to go if you change your mind 😁

Covid and all that shit didnt stop you...you just jumped so deep into the deep end of the pool it has took this long to get back to the surface........

Damn nice gear.

Did you say .338 LM?

I hope you have shot something before this.
Well you could ask all those people I was trying to keep alive at 2 and 3 in the morning about Covid, but some of em are dead…Ive owned a .338 LM before, and I own a Barrett M82A1 and an AX50. Yeah Ive shot something like this before. I’m old but this isn’t my first rodeo. Now I remember why I don’t post here so much.

Reactions: robozebra
Well you could ask all those people I was trying to keep alive at 2 and 3 in the morning about Covid, but some of em are dead…Ive owned a .338 LM before, and I own a Barrett M82A1 and an AX50. Yeah Ive shot something like this before. I’m old but this isn’t my first rodeo. Now I remember why I don’t post here so much.

I don't think he meant that the way you took it.

I took it as basically: good for you for not letting this covid thing take all the enjoyment out of your life.

Keep in mind that in a text-only internet conversation, the lack of context, facial expressions and voice tone/inflection makes it very easy to misunderstand someone's intent.

Because of that, I cut guys slack on the internet. I could easily be
misunderstanding intent.

Reactions: Kamerad
I don't think it was meant that way bud. I think he's just commenting on your having some high end stuff...

Reactions: pmclaine

Good for you. Sorry about disturbing your post. Dont care about your covid experiences.

Beautiful rifle setup, any chance you could post up some pictures of the AX50, I've never seen one in the wild so to speak.

Top notch gear @dmuldrew! I love my 338LM. Bet you‘ll enjoy that setup a bunch. Had a 50BMG, but felt like someone punched me in the face after about 5 shots. COVID sucks. Didn’t enjoy it from either side of the patient/physician relationship…. Hang in there…