• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Doomsday Bunkers

normbal

CPT USA (ret)
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2006
Silver Spring, MD
www.scribd.com
Interesting. Caught this one the other night, premier episode I think, some guy in the midwest building HUGE custom underground bunkers. Like 1200 square feet for around $450,000.

My wife kept saying how STUPID it was for the guy who was "big in the prepper community" that he was even thinking of bringing people out to see his bunker. Stupid. As in the fewer people who knew, the safer a redoubt it might be.

And the door? Is he kidding me? .223 round "only" penetrated the one side. How about 7.62 rounds? Fifty Cal? How many of those would it take to start ripping through the OTHER side and start spalling on the INside.

And the door could take 3 lbs of LOW explosive? How about adding some bullseye powder and aluminum to that and making a small shape-charge to blow out the bolts and/or hinges. And I'm not even an EOD guy (just had a somewhat misspent youth) nor am I hungry and desperate to get inside your bunker or I might bring a backhoe or a bulldozer if I suspect there's really something of value in there. Hell, even the Egyptian kings' underground bunkers have been looted by people with far fewer resources or motivation.

Even better. I know you're underground, I'll just dig a hole, drill a hole into the top of your little tin can and spray chlorine gas inside and wait for you to surface or until your gas mask filters carbon elements are full. *kack*

Doomsday Bunkers. What a load of crap. But entertaining, and something to share with the wife. Besides those god-awful Say Yes to the homosexual-designed wedding dress programs she's addicted to.

Re: Doomsday Bunkers

Reminds me of a line I heard from Richard Pryor.
"Bomb Shelters are Great, If you're at home when they drop the Bomb". Impregnable fortress are merely "Challenges" to those with the tools and the determination. I say, "have your supplies, Make a plan, and keep the mobility open,, pure defensive strategies went out with WW1 and the Maganot Line (spelling?). Just my opinon.
George of the Jungle

Just pump water down his fresh air intake until the family comes popping out like a bunch of prairie dogs from a flooded burrow..

fact of the matter is..... it`s easier to criticize.... and .threaten to drown someone..ending with quotes from war heros.................than it is to prepare....
In case of local/national emergency.... most would agree..it`s good to have at least a weeks supply of water/food..to start with.
However much farther a man wants to take to protect his/hers/theirs...lives....
I will not condemn....
bill larson

I saw the show, it was what you'd expect but I question the idea of being stuck in one place, especially underground. I think I'd rather be able to move around. You're just a rat in a cage in one of those things.

That security system they installed after that pump got stolen is just going to get stolen too. If I was walking through the woods and saw cameras and stuff posted everywhere, you can bet your ass I'd be back that night snooping around... The cameras and speakers are a clear way of saying: "there's something worth stealing here."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayhawker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just pump water down his fresh air intake until the family comes popping out like a bunch of prairie dogs from a flooded burrow.. </div></div>

I was wondering about that seems too simple to drop CS, gasoline or water or anything down into the bunker/coffin? Seems they would have addressed that or havent they?

BUT you got to admit the AIRSOFT SENTRY GUN was sweet, need one for my neighbors cats!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: normbal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doomsday Bunkers. What a load of crap. But entertaining, and something to share with the wife. Besides those god-awful Say Yes to the homosexual-designed wedding dress programs she's addicted to.</div></div>

Lol yeah. I knew it was drama and not real, but after reading comments here I cannot watch sons of guns or any of these shows and take them even the slight bit serious even for a second.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodspider</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayhawker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just pump water down his fresh air intake until the family comes popping out like a bunch of prairie dogs from a flooded burrow.. </div></div>

I was wondering about that seems too simple to drop CS, gasoline or water or anything down into the bunker/coffin? Seems they would have addressed that or havent they?

BUT you got to admit the AIRSOFT SENTRY GUN was sweet, need one for my neighbors cats!! </div></div>

Put a real firearm on that and the bad guy gets shot and you're spending a long time at club fed, and the inventor would be counter-sued so badly he'll wish he'd never been born let alone invented anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayhawker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just pump water down his fresh air intake until the family comes popping out like a bunch of prairie dogs from a flooded burrow.. </div></div>

Where are you going to get that much water to pump in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> fact of the matter is..... it`s easier to criticize.... and .threaten to drown someone..ending with quotes from war heros.................than it is to prepare....
In case of local/national emergency.... most would agree..it`s good to have at least a weeks supply of water/food..to start with.
I will not condemn....
bill larson </div></div>

Lighten up Francis...Not threatening anything...just pointing out a flaw in the "underground living" concept...you still have to have fresh air... Before I retired, I actually had a job that(in part) finding flaws in "emergency plans"...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayhawker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just pump water down his fresh air intake until the family comes popping out like a bunch of prairie dogs from a flooded burrow.. </div></div>

Where are you going to get that much water to pump in? </div></div>

His own 7000 gallon water supply (the tanks may be underground but there is a vulnerable filler neck sticking out of the ground) and a trash pump...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayhawker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bill Larson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> fact of the matter is..... it`s easier to criticize.... and .threaten to drown someone..ending with quotes from war heros.................than it is to prepare....
I will not condemn....
bill larson </div></div>

Lighten up Francis...Not threatening anything...just pointing out a flaw in the "underground living" concept...you still have to have fresh air... </div></div>
The flaw as you point out, may in fact be you ass-u-ming there are no above ground protective devices, that are controlled from, or can be reloaded from below ground. Some folks only appear to be stupid, the real test comes when it all goes to shit, remember you only have to be wrong,... once,...so make the most of it. The only thing that will defeat a <span style="font-weight: bold">Properly</span> constructed bunker is, time,...that is, unless you have unlimited body's to throw at it.

Gunfighter:
There was no mention about any remote above ground defenses or reloadable anything??please elaborate or are you just assuming too?

LOL... You can bet on and kiss your ass goodby if you think there is flower power only down that hole. Them "Types" dont drop there shorts on the first date and Like to think way ahead. Dont go to GF14E2 house when the Lights go out, all I have to say about that old daisy. .<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodspider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gunfighter:
There was no mention about any remote above ground defenses or reloadable anything??please elaborate or are you just assuming too? </div></div>

Did anybody notice they were using the battering ram from the side the door opens to? It would be hard to open a regular door that way much less a steel door. Its kind of like when they fire a gun that is at slide lock in the movies. That kind of stuff gets under my skin.

Well I thought the show was pretty good. It seems everyone else on here has a better plan when all hell breaks loose. I think an underground bunker is a good idea, but it would need to be a secret. I would want it in the middle of some woods that I own and definitely camouflaged. I also think that a bunker doesn't necessarily have to be a place to go and hide out and wait it out. I see it as a place to sleep and keep your family safe without a cabin that people can see and come to loot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodspider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gunfighter:
There was no mention about any remote above ground defenses or reloadable anything??please elaborate or are you just assuming too? </div></div>
Anytime your dealing with an unknown if, you don't have an open mind your enemy may open it for you.

I have been known to carry on conversations about HEPA filters, that were down stream of HE filters, which were down stream of Potassium Permanganate, which was down stream of activated charcoal. All of which had large vos/volatility drops in the primary wash stage, an prior to the following stages, all the while turning the charge air at least 90* or more prior to the next stage.

I grew up an lived with "Put your ass to the blast" knew the underside of my desk very well. Below ground is a last resort, end of the world retreat, plan for same an the hordes that will follow. They can't get into something they can't find, and even if it's found, you need be very careful of whose door your knocking/beating on.
Remember when it gets that bad, it's dog eat dog, rules an regs are out the window. That crap on TV is just that TV crap. There are real people who are real serious, about their family/friends safety, an no man can run 20K FPS

Like any other preparedness scenario, there are good and bad things. No plan is foolproof, but perhaps yours can be better by incorporating (or AVOIDING) some of the elements of others' plans when you see them on such shows (or youtube, or whatever).

Every person and situation is unique in their needs and desires. Some people desire to live through anything, some don't want to stay around to see it. Some are limited in ability, knowledge, resources, or funding... some are not. Some believe, some do not. Some are benevolent, some are not.

Personally, I don't believe in any of the 2012 nonsense but I do think it's wise to be prepared for anything that might realistically come your way. Having some extra food, water, and ammo is not a bad idea- nor is having some plans. Same reason why many have CCW permits. "Preppers" are being portrayed as crazies, but like any other group they are quite diverse and what you see on TV isn't a representative sample of the whole population.

I prefer to apply some techniques of military theory (Sun Tzu's "hold the high ground") and guerilla warfare (when they are big, you are small; when they are slow, you are quick; when they are exposed, you are hidden) to my own plans. I will not be living in a buried shipping container, but to each his own.

The bunker they built is nice but its slmost three times the price of my house. It would be good to have one but the prices make it out of reach for most people. I also have not checked the prices of smaller units. I would vacation in the one they built!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cstmwrks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'll take my chances with what I can do in the crawl space of my home. Besides I doubt the folks on the outside of the shelter would be a unified group. They will be killing each other while attempting to get inside.
Remote TV cams could be just to catch the gore fest outside.. popcorn ready yet?</div></div>

True, there is very little chance the people on the outside will remain, calm, collective and civilized enough to keep from looting, killing and etc. one another.....or being approached by other groups, gangs or masses of people wanting what they have, and wanting what they are doing.