• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing DPMS .308 bolt catch pin problem

kirbstyle

Private
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
I finally got all the parts and pieces to assemble my DPMS .308 SASS. After everything was put together, my bolt catch lever wouldn't depress and lock the bolt back.

The DPMS lower takes a hex-head screw instead of the normal AR type roll pin to keep the bolt catch lever in place.

Well, I stripped the hex-head trying to get the screw out. I know, I know... Operator error. Completely my fault. I'm past that now. I just want it fixed.

I've already tried my micro grab-it screw extractors to no avail. the hole is just too close to the side of the lower receiver to get a good seat in the stripped screw head.

Has anybody had this happen to them? If so, how did you fix it? Or am I just screwed and need to start looking for a new lower?

Re: DPMS .308 bolt catch pin problem

have you determinrd that the bolt catch is the issue ? sounds like the same issue i was having when i dry fitted every thing together with a buffer from an AR-15 (my 308 buffer had not come yet) the .223 buffer is just a bit longer the the 308 and would not permit the bolt to retract far enough the be held by the bolt catch

hope that all made sense

I bought the buffer & spring from Midway USA specifically for a .308. I got two types. One set for the "carbine" and one set for the "LR" DPMS .308 model. I hope I got delivered the correct part numbers...

The bolt catch latch seemed not right from the beginning. I should've slowed down then when I was assembling everything. I'll probably end up regretting my haste.

Thanks for the info.

I've drilled out little screws with even tinier bits before using either drill or dremel. As long as you have a steady hand or press and hard bits you ought to be able to basically hollow it out and then collapse/peel the threaded shell that's left. The threads on the lower would remain intact.

You could also have someone drill it out with a bigger hole and find a roll-pin to fit.

Or you could do absolutely nothing. Your worst case scenario if you can't thumb it into position is you have a jam and you have to hold the bolt open while you clear it. BFD, not the end of the world.

I wouldn't go wasting 300-400 on a new lower unless this is a duty gun where you might be in some sort of trouble were your gun not checklist correct. Someone in your area has to have the right tool for the job if you don't, for less than a new lower.

I found out that there was lock-tite added to the screw before installation. That was my big problem, and still is, for getting the hex-screw out. I've contacted DPMS directly and they said they would take a look at it and try to help me out.

Worst case scenario, I have to get another receiver that I build correctly and have another with a big roll-pin where the hex-screw should be holding the bolt catch.

Thanks for all the PM's.