• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

DPMS Forward assist.

Awesymoto

Awesymoto outdoors
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2011
Eye da hoe
sites.google.com
Don't have my rifle around but was pondering to myself...

How does the forward assist work with DPMS Uppers if the bolts have no serrations?

Edit: talking about the LRT series not AR 15 style bolts.

Re: DPMS Forward assist.

Unlike a traditional AR bolt design that has numerous serrations so the forward assist works though the entire range of travel the LR308 bolts only have two contact points thus the forward assist will only work in two positions.

I'd have to look at a bolt to tell you that with certainty. But I don't have access to my rifle at the moment to look.

The Young Mftg 308 carriers have serrations like an ar15. just thought I'd mention it.

Unlike the AR-15 where the FA engages on the side of the carrier through use of the serrations, the DPMS LR-308 rifles do not operate that way.

The FA on the LR-308 pushes on the rearward portion/edge of the BCG, so the serrations are NOT necessary.

This is why many opt for slick-side uppers without the FA because it is nearly useless on the LR-308 since it is only capable of engaging and moving the carrier forward a slight amount (not to mention the general uselessness of a forward assist on a .308 AR anyway).
wink.gif

I like FA's due to being brainwashed. "Slingshot, Brass check, Tap FWD ASST... " I guess when I do a BC i want to know my bolt is back fully into battery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unlike the AR-15 where the FA engages on the side of the carrier through use of the serrations, the DPMS LR-308 rifles do not operate that way.

The FA on the LR-308 pushes on the rearward portion/edge of the BCG, so the serrations are NOT necessary.

This is why many opt for slick-side uppers without the FA because it is nearly useless on the LR-308 since it is only capable of engaging and moving the carrier forward a slight amount (not to mention the general uselessness of a forward assist on a .308 AR anyway).
wink.gif
</div></div>

what he said.

and there is a thread about it and you will have to dig back cause it hasnt popped up in a while but its got pics and i took a few of them myself. and i think RRA? and dont quote me on that brand, but they have the f/a in the rear of the upper like an ar15 and they have a serrated bolt too. i have only seen the pics but i believe it was the only one posted that had that design where the DMPS is closer to the port. i think they are only one out there that has the f/a in this position though

acf7b15.jpg

oh and that damn spring in my 308 makes me pretty sure that if the bolt dont close, its not gonna. the sheer mass and feel of that thing when you let go the bolt release and it locks home and moves that whole thing rifle forward, MASS. but thats just my impression

I havn't played around with my DPMS in a while, May have to try and set the bolt out of battery to see if it will. I know my M4 does if I slowly release the CH.