• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

DPMS GII 308 rifles

Tx_Flyboy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2011
Houston, Tx
DPMS GII - The Wait Is Over - YouTube

Check out the new DPMS GII .308 MSR - Page 4 - AR15.COM

I'm surprised this hasn't been the talk of the semi-auto forum...i expect the snubs at M4carbine and lightfighter forums to pretend the earth hasn't shifted, but not here... :)

As much as i hate to parrot company line, I think DPMS has changed the game.

If the new GII rifles live up to DPMS's hype, and they aren't known for failures or quality issues, I believe DPMS will cause the market to change.

Even if there are teething problems, the 308 AR market will eventually follow DPMS's lead after some resistance and consternatoin of course.

I have two DPMS rifles...looks like I'll be adding one of these to my stable. I'm especially interested in the 20" hunter model...although it should have been designed with a threaded barrel.

Tons of threads elsewhere. Looks very promising and a major step forward for the platform. It will however increase the part compatability confusion level slightly with armalite, DPMS G1 and now G2.
Interested to see how this takes off which I am sure it will.

I wonder just how much weight these redesigns will save. Also lighter/smaller isn't always better. The FN FAL and Original Armalite concept has been around for a Long Time and still sets the standards on .308 Semi Auto Rifles. They've always been known to be Heavy Duty and Proven. I like my Current DPMS as well and wouldn't hesitate to buy another but I'm skeptical on the toughness of the Newly "Shrinked" concept. Only time will tell. But for a All Around .308 Semi Auto lighter weight would be a welcomed change as long as it's not at the sacrifice of structural Integrity.

It will suck for a while though since the parts are not interchangeable with GEN 1 which means it'll be tough to get replacement parts.

Last edited:
I wonder just how much weight these redesigns will save.

According to the dpms website...

Gii Gen1
AP4. 7.25 8.5 Lbs
Recon. 8.5 8.95
Sass. 10.5 11.45
Bull. 10 11.25
Hunter. 7.76 7.75*

They claim 20% on the bull barrel config, but the numbers show more like 11%.
*The gen1 hunter has a 16 inch barrel while the Gii hunter has a 20 inch barrel.

Last edited:
^^^^^ that the forum deletes spaces used for formatting is very annoying...

I'd like to see the weight comparison on a component level rather than an assembled rifle comparison. Too many other variables and it would paint a better pic. How much is the upper reduced compared to average DPMS 308 upper, same for lower, bolt and comparison of other items that could add advantage.

I'd like to see the weight comparison on a component level rather than an assembled rifle comparison. Too many other variables and it would paint a better pic. How much is the upper reduced compared to average DPMS 308 upper, same for lower, bolt and comparison of other items that could add advantage.

+1 Me too.

It seems the biggest weight reduction might be the actual BCG and the Barrel Nut area. I don't know how much thickness they'd want to shave off of the receiver walls. Keep in mind that the new GEN II BCG is advertised to be the same dimentions as the AR15 BCG size. Even though its smaller and lighter they still have to deal with the SAME .308 recoil and not the .223. In this instant its going to have the same amount of recoil with less mass behind it. Sometimes a bit more weight is a good thing for better recoil management.

Its a great design and looks cool too. I would a least wait to see some credible end user reviews before selling off a GEN I to replace with the GEN II.

I've been drooling over one of these for the last 2 days! I love the LR308 platform...but this GII could be a real winner. My biggest complaint with the SR25 or LR308 is the weight. Even my 16" hunting rifle weighs 9lbs with optic (DPMS Oracle). Shaving some weight would be much appreciated! Wonder when these are going to actually hit the shelves so I can fondle one?

Based on the above post by Hlee the weight difference for the Recon Model between Gen II vs Gen I is 8.5 vs 8.95... That's only a .45 of difference. Also with the Gen IIs hitting the market I'm sure there's going to be some Great Deals on the Remaining Gen I on the shelves for the taking.

I think the new Gen IIs BOLT Design appeals to me more. Even though the Carrier size is different it'll still be great if we can use the GEN II bolt in the GEN I carriers. The new double ejector and extractor designs are a major reliability upgrade for any serious rifle user.

I think it is a game changer. There is a lot more than weight reduction: Better ejector/extractor, steel insert on the feeding to keep the receiver from getting battered, a replaceable gas tube/gas key interface, the gas key integral to the carrier. AR-15 handguards. I was impressed.

Last edited:
The GII Recon has my name on it. Its exactly what I want! It fixes the reason I sold my AR10s before, the weight!

Being first does not make it the best, there is always something better coming, I say shoot now an you win.

I have to be honest, this is the main development from SHOT that is sticking out in my mind. I spent significant time looking over each of the GII rifles and carbines, and I have to say DPMS knocked this one out of the park.

Just so everyone knows, I'm not exactly DPMS's fanboy, and I have come to view them as barely shelf-grade minimum plinker capable guns that cut a ton of corners to make price point and visual similarity to real AR15's. The GII is a different animal I think, and is lighter than the SCAR-17.

It feels like an AR15 in weight and balance. The GII Hunter is really the configuration that interests me for a light mountain rifle, but chambered in .260 Rem. I have zero interest in anything .30 bore, but for those that like .308's, 7mm-08, .260 Rem, and .243 Win, this gun is going to clean the other large-frame offerings' clocks for hunters and action shooting competitors.

My comments are entirely my own, not simply a re-hash of what the DPMS guys told me at the booth. Basically, they shortened the receivers, and are using a carrier with the same OD as an AR15 carrier, but it is a bit longer. At first glance, the carrier looks like one from an op-rod driven design, but it is not. It is a new evolution of the Stoner floating internal bolt piston system, commonly referred to as "Direct Impingement". Instead of using fasteners and staking a carrier key onto the carrier, there is a gas key tower as you can see above the carrier, and is integral to the forged carrier body all as one piece.

The longitudinal tubular section of the carrier key that articulates with a standard gas tube inserts into the housing, and is retained by a roll pin, with a very tight fit and gas seal.

The bolt itself is not a standard LR308 bolt, but a new design with radial lugs in the cross-sectional aspect. They reduced the size, while increasing the strength with radial lugs, which is also easier for machining. This is reminiscent of the Professional Ordnance Carbon 15 bolt design. Since Bushmaster engaged in a hostile takeover of Professional Ordnance back in the early 2000's, I suspect Bushmaster owns the intellectual property and patent rights for the radial lug design that Professional Ordnance introduced. Bushmaster and DPMS are both owned by the Freedom Group.

Dual ejectors are obvious. Ejection port is enlarged. Port door design has been re-visited. There is a separate steel feed ramp insert for the upper receiver, so you no longer have an aluminum-to-steel hand-off as the meplat transitions upwards across the typical M4-inspired design used in the larger frame guns.

Barrel nut is different. The upper receiver thread for the nut had to be larger to fit the new barrel extension, but they made the free-float nuts compatible with existing DPMS tubes. Here are the models I held and thoroughly looked over while on the show floor:

GII AP4
GII Recon
GII SASS
GII Hunter
GII Bull

By far, the GII Hunter was the most impressive in terms of overall weight, balance, fit, and feel. Just a beautiful rifle all around. My feeling and reaction is that this receiver set makes the predecessors basically obsolete, and those words resonated in my mind without any prompting from the DPMS staff, although you will hear similar statements in their video for it.

I think what they're doing with the gas system, the receiver, the bolt, the ejection area geometry, and even the extractor culminate in series of parts that make the whole genuinely greater than the sum. When you pick the rifles and carbines up, it literally feels like an equivalent AR15 carbine from their line-up. That combined with the innovative features in the critical areas of the gun really sets the stage for a new standard in the Stoner AR15/AR10 family in my opinion. Like I said, I would have never expected this from DPMS.

As I spoke at length with Adam Ballard, the Product Manager for MSR's, I asked him what their posture is for guys like me who are going to want to have access to the receiver set and BCG, since I will be sourcing my own barrel and go about a custom build process. He said that DPMS has always been a parts company, and will continue to follow that trend. My response was that selling rifles is their priority, and he said that components will be available for us.

I have to be honest, this is the main development from SHOT that is sticking out in my mind. I spent significant time looking over each of the GII rifles and carbines, and I have to say DPMS knocked this one out of the park.

Just so everyone knows, I'm not exactly DPMS's fanboy, and I have come to view them as barely shelf-grade minimum plinker capable guns that cut a ton of corners to make price point and visual similarity to real AR15's. The GII is a different animal I think, and is lighter than the SCAR-17.

It feels like an AR15 in weight and balance. The GII Hunter is really the configuration that interests me for a light mountain rifle, but chambered in .260 Rem. I have zero interest in anything .30 bore, but for those that like .308's, 7mm-08, .260 Rem, and .243 Win, this gun is going to clean the other large-frame offerings' clocks for hunters and action shooting competitors.

My comments are entirely my own, not simply a re-hash of what the DPMS guys told me at the booth. Basically, they shortened the receivers, and are using a carrier with the same OD as an AR15 carrier, but it is a bit longer. At first glance, the carrier looks like one from an op-rod driven design, but it is not. It is a new evolution of the Stoner floating internal bolt piston system, commonly referred to as "Direct Impingement". Instead of using fasteners and staking a carrier key onto the carrier, there is a gas key tower as you can see above the carrier, and is integral to the forged carrier body all as one piece.

The longitudinal tubular section of the carrier key that articulates with a standard gas tube inserts into the housing, and is retained by a roll pin, with a very tight fit and gas seal.

The bolt itself is not a standard LR308 bolt, but a new design with radial lugs in the cross-sectional aspect. They reduced the size, while increasing the strength with radial lugs, which is also easier for machining. This is reminiscent of the Professional Ordnance Carbon 15 bolt design. Since Bushmaster engaged in a hostile takeover of Professional Ordnance back in the early 2000's, I suspect Bushmaster owns the intellectual property and patent rights for the radial lug design that Professional Ordnance introduced. Bushmaster and DPMS are both owned by the Freedom Group.

Dual ejectors are obvious. Ejection port is enlarged. Port door design has been re-visited. There is a separate steel feed ramp insert for the upper receiver, so you no longer have an aluminum-to-steel hand-off as the meplat transitions upwards across the typical M4-inspired design used in the larger frame guns.

Barrel nut is different. The upper receiver thread for the nut had to be larger to fit the new barrel extension, but they made the free-float nuts compatible with existing DPMS tubes. Here are the models I held and thoroughly looked over while on the show floor:

GII AP4
GII Recon
GII SASS
GII Hunter
GII Bull

By far, the GII Hunter was the most impressive in terms of overall weight, balance, fit, and feel. Just a beautiful rifle all around. My feeling and reaction is that this receiver set makes the predecessors basically obsolete, and those words resonated in my mind without any prompting from the DPMS staff, although you will hear similar statements in their video for it.

I think what they're doing with the gas system, the receiver, the bolt, the ejection area geometry, and even the extractor culminate in series of parts that make the whole genuinely greater than the sum. When you pick the rifles and carbines up, it literally feels like an equivalent AR15 carbine from their line-up. That combined with the innovative features in the critical areas of the gun really sets the stage for a new standard in the Stoner AR15/AR10 family in my opinion. Like I said, I would have never expected this from DPMS.

As I spoke at length with Adam Ballard, the Product Manager for MSR's, I asked him what their posture is for guys like me who are going to want to have access to the receiver set and BCG, since I will be sourcing my own barrel and go about a custom build process. He said that DPMS has always been a parts company, and will continue to follow that trend. My response was that selling rifles is their priority, and he said that components will be available for us.

You outtga post this on M4carbine.net...if u have access.

I wonder what the max coal of the receiver/ mag will be? I'm not interested in 308 but possibly doing a build in 260 or 243.

Quick Question.

Since you were the lucky few that actually been to the SHOT Show this year and got your hands on these New Gen II Rifles can you tell us the Release Date on them? Especially the Price Point??? DPMS has always been known to be Great Values due to their compeitive pricing. But these updates seems to be expensive upgrades. I would like to know how much more we'll need to pay to get into the Gen II Stuff.

Thanks in advance!

GII AP4
GII Recon
GII SASS
GII Hunter
GII Bull

It seems the biggest weight reduction might be the actual BCG and the Barrel Nut area. I don't know how much thickness they'd want to shave off of the receiver walls. Keep in mind that the new GEN II BCG is advertised to be the same dimentions as the AR15 BCG size. Even though its smaller and lighter they still have to deal with the SAME .308 recoil and not the .223. In this instant its going to have the same amount of recoil with less mass behind it. Sometimes a bit more weight is a good thing for better recoil management.

Its a great design and looks cool too. I would a least wait to see some credible end user reviews before selling off a GEN I to replace with the GEN II.

We sold 47 AR12(Nexgen) uppers in early 2010. Most were 308s but some 7mm-08s, 260s and 6.5x47s. These Gen IIs are almost an exact duplicate of what we made except the Nexgen fits the old LR308 lowers and uses any AR15 handguard.
As reported then the lighter carrier needs less gas to cycle it. A smaller port means the carrier starts moving later and solves some of the over gas problems the AR10s have making these lighter versions more accurate.
They feel like an AR15 except for the recoil, they don't have that clunky sound and movement like the AR10, LR308 and the other 308s with the heavy carriers. We haven't had any parts break so there shouldn't be an issue with receiver or bolt strength if DPMS used 9310 alloy for the bolts and 7075 Al receivers. This is a 20" fluted 6.5x47, weighs 7lbs 10z
vcm_s_kf_repr_808x175.jpg

Last edited:
By your response could the smaller gas port and BCG mean Better Pressure and Velocity as well? Since it takes less gas away inside of the Barrel to operate the smaller Bolt.

If that's the case that would be another Plus for the Gen II. A increase in Velocity is always a good thing for any Long Range Semi Auto.

We sold 47 AR12(Nexgen) uppers in early 2010. Most were 308s but some 7mm-08s, 260s and 6.5x47s. These Gen IIs are almost an exact duplicate of what we made except the Nexgen fits the old LR308 lowers and uses any AR15 handguard.
As reported then the lighter carrier needs less gas to cycle it. A smaller port means the carrier starts moving later and solves some of the over gas problems the AR10s have making these lighter versions more accurate.
They feel like an AR15 except for the recoil, they don't have that clunky sound and movement like the AR10, LR308 and the other 308s with the heavy carriers. We haven't had any parts break so there shouldn't be an issue with receiver or bolt strength if DPMS used 9310 alloy for the bolts and 7075 Al receivers.

I've talked to manufacturers about "gas off" testing in AR15's, and they didn't notice any perceivable fps increase. I think the bullet is going too fast at that point for it to really make a difference, even though I suspected that there would be a fps change with gas off vs. on.

As to release data, there are already FFL's listing them as available.

Regarding .260 Rem COL, it depends on what reamer they use, but I have zero issues with my custom .260 Rem built by GA Precision, but I had the chamber reamed for loading from gas gun mags and VLD bullets, which it shoots extremely well, including the 123gr Scenar, 130gr VLD, 130gr Norma GT, 139gr Scenar, 140gr Match Burner, and 142gr SMK. It's one of the reasons why I don't by off-the-shelf guns except for CCW blasters.

I would gladly pay for these new receiver sets, BCG, and barrel extension at a price point that was good for both me and DPMS, so that they could still make margins over a factory rifle for less parts, without being overly pricy. Going into AR10's, we know that we're paying double for receivers and BCG's, with everything else pretty close to AR15 prices.

There are going to be a lot of DPMS LR-308's and R-25's for sale in the coming wave, with back-ordered GII's as soon as the gun rag and online reviews begin to spew forth. When they start comparing weights to the SCAR-17, and then you look at pricing and magazine/part compatibility, FN might have to start dropping SCAR-17 prices.

Im a dpms fan but the weight difference between the old hunter models and the new hunter model is like 7.75 to 8.0 pounds. I know its there new gun and everyone is gonna get hard over it but with basically everything changed and non compatible with the old style guns I think it might hurt them a little. My question is about the new barrel extension. Everyone on this forum knows damn well people are not gonna be happy with a dpms barrel and want something better. I am not talkin shit,just a thought.

By your response could the smaller gas port and BCG mean Better Pressure and Velocity as well? Since it takes less gas away inside of the Barrel to operate the smaller Bolt.

If that's the case that would be another Plus for the Gen II. A increase in Velocity is always a good thing for any Long Range Semi Auto.
I don't think that the gas port size decrease is going to translate into significant pressure past the port and gain any significant velocities.

The weight difference between the Gen I and Gen II Recons is like 8.95 vs 8.5. That's not much either. I've shot several different DPMS rifles with factory Barrel and I've had great luck and Accuracy with all of them. Not to say that there's no lemons. But if DPMS really do hit this one out of the park and at a good price point as they've doing then I'd be willing to bet the Aftermarket Parts and Barrel makers will be catching up QUICK.

There's A LOT More people out there who can afford DPMS than there's who can buy the Top Tier Brands. That market is a Huge Profit pool for any and all parts and barrel makers. They can't afford not to jump on the band wagan if this Gen II Really is as good as they say.

Im a dpms fan but the weight difference between the old hunter models and the new hunter model is like 7.75 to 8.0 pounds. I know its there new gun and everyone is gonna get hard over it but with basically everything changed and non compatible with the old style guns I think it might hurt them a little. My question is about the new barrel extension. Everyone on this forum knows damn well people are not gonna be happy with a dpms barrel and want something better. I am not talkin shit,just a thought.

There are going to be a lot of DPMS LR-308's and R-25's for sale in the coming wave, with back-ordered GII's as soon as the gun rag and online reviews begin to spew forth. When they start comparing weights to the SCAR-17, and then you look at pricing and magazine/part compatibility, FN might have to start dropping SCAR-17 prices.

Agree with everything except the last phrase.

I don't think you would gain much by the smaller port itself but you will gain because the carrier does not move until the bullet has left the barrel.

Too bad they couldn't keep the barrel extensions the same. Then it would be real simple to drop in a JP or Lilja. As much as DPMS might want it to be true, I don't think this will become the standard of large frame AR's (at least not anytime soon).

7.42lbs, before even trying to really put the after-market gun on a diet, not that I would want a .308 Winchester-based rifle weighing under 7lbs anyway. Overall weight and balance are 2 different things. One thing that has always bothered me about the 1990's-forward era of "AR10's" is the unusually large receiver set, bolt carrier mass distribution over length, and how that balances in the hand. When you compare that to a Dutch Armalite from over 50 years ago, you feel cheated by the larger guns.

This new GII feels like an AR15 in your hands, literally. Same balance, same overall feel, same weight. I haven't shot these yet, but shooting a Dutch Armalite is very pleasant, and you can run around with them all day as well. The original design is a well-engineered piece from a human engineering standpoint, not only in the objective aspects of the ergonomics, but the subjective quality to the balance and feel of the guns. The GII really encompasses what Stoner was after from the start, and I really think he would grin widely if he were to hold the GII.

I'm totally in the same boat with you on barrel selection, and my personal chambering preferences, especially since I will build another .260 Remington off these receivers and BCG. I've had 2 custom guns built already off DPMS receivers and BCG's, using high-end barrels (Obermeyer and Bartlein).

Adam Ballard, DPMS's Product Manager, told me that they will be supporting guys like us with parts, since DPMS has always been a parts company. I specifically asked, "What do you say to guys like me who haven't bought a production rifle off the shelf in years, who already know what barrel they want to use, what furniture they want, trigger, coatings, etc.?

"We've always been a parts company." I responded that rifles will take priority of course, and he agreed, but said that parts will be available for people like me.

I have a G2 SASS due in tomorrow. I am a little concerned about some of the proprietary parts. However my POF has never given me any issues and the DPMs rifle was 500.00 less. Now I just need to scrape up some cash for optics

That is awesome. Be sure to post pics and impressions when you get it.

I have a G2 SASS due in tomorrow. I am a little concerned about some of the proprietary parts. However my POF has never given me any issues and the DPMs rifle was 500.00 less. Now I just need to scrape up some cash for optics

Well I am really fascinated by how the barrel attaches to the upper. Looks really strange hope to shoot it this weekend

Hi Rda1911, did you get your SASS In? How are the Upper/Lower Fit and Finish? Got any pictures? Looking forward to seeing your results! Thanks for sharing!

Hi Rda1911, did you get your SASS In? How are the Upper/Lower Fit and Finish? Got any pictures? Looking forward to seeing your results! Thanks for sharing!

Yes got it unwrapped today. I like how the upper is much less bulky than my R25. the carrier looks funny long but skinny compared to AR10's Don't care for the pistol grip and will change it I suspect. The dust cover is also different longer and the latch is not in the center.

well I've posted a couple responses with pics but I guess a mod has not got around to reviewing them

Ok this has raised my eyebrows as well. Curious about the claimed accuracy out of the box and impressed with the amount of interchangeable parts. Hum I think this may make my 2014 gun.

If this genII shoots MOA like my ole AP4. .. Its gonna be hard to not buy one.

Ok this has raised my eyebrows as well. Curious about the claimed accuracy out of the box and impressed with the amount of interchangeable parts. Hum I think this may make my 2014 gun.

It looks like only the AP4 model has the "standard" AR15 barrel nut to which you can affix any AR15 handguard that uses a standard AR15 barrel nut (e.g. Centurion Arms, Midwest Industries, Samson, etc). The other models seem to feature the DPMS-specific freefloat handguard nut.

I've got a recon g2 on the way.
It'll be interesting to see how the fit and finish compares to my mws...
Hopefully the dpms g2 specific ar barrel nut is available for purchase soon, and the aftermarket makes some decent rails for the g2 eventually.
I'd like a rail similar to a noveske nsr.
It'd really feel like a lean 308 with a decent slim rail...

It looks like only the AP4 model has the "standard" AR15 barrel nut to which you can affix any AR15 handguard that uses a standard AR15 barrel nut (e.g. Centurion Arms, Midwest Industries, Samson, etc). The other models seem to feature the DPMS-specific freefloat handguard nut.

Is this any than the myriad other hand guards that require a maker specific barrel nut? Is the threading on the upper such that you cannot use any ar15 barrel nut?

Is this any than the myriad other hand guards that require a maker specific barrel nut? Is the threading on the upper such that you cannot use any ar15 barrel nut?

The threading is specific to the G2 lineup and is incompatible with standard AR barrel nuts (or any AR barrel nuts, for that matter). It just so happens that the G2 AP4 barrel nut is the same size externally as an AR15 standard barrel nut and so will work with any AR handguard that uses a standard barrel nut.

The threading is specific to the G2 lineup and is incompatible with standard AR barrel nuts (or any AR barrel nuts, for that matter). It just so happens that the G2 AP4 barrel nut is the same size externally as an AR15 standard barrel nut and so will work with any AR handguard that uses a standard barrel nut.

Wonder if Troy Alpha rails are a possibility then...

Thanks for the clarification! So... If you really have to have an aftermarket rail, you better buy the ap4 until parts start showing up. And then, until 3rd parties catch up it better be a rail that fits on a standard ar15 barrel nut. You are sol if you have your heart set on a rail that requires its own barrel nut, until that maker makes a nut compatible with the gii...

If we were to offer GII AP4s (16" chrome lined barrel) with Centurion Arms C4 or Samson Evolution KeyMod handguards over a professionally cut down FSB, would there be any interest?

How about Cerakote in colors like Burnt Bronze and Patriot Brown?

Last edited:
If we were to offer GII AP4s (16" chrome lined barrel) with Centurion Arms C4 or Samson Evolution KeyMod handguards over a professionally cut down FSB, would there be any interest?

How about Cerakote in colors like Burnt Bronze and Patriot Brown?

Hell Yes! I'd get one in Burnt Bronze!