• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

DPMS LR 308 Accuracy? Decent grouping?

Infidel45

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 12, 2014
Bristol, VA
Just picked up a DPMS LR 308 on a good trade deal. It is a basic Oracle model with 16" barrel and rattling CAR stock. Only factory upgrade appears to be the factory camo finish. Trigger is garbage and the flash hider is worthless for my purposes. Prior owner did upgrade the hand guards to a Troy quad rail so at least i could attach my Atlas.

After zero'ing, i shot the pictured 5 groups which avg .69" @100 yds. The 3 shot groups inside the circle were first. Then i decided to work up some Dope out to 600. After each mag, i would shoot 2 rounds with the hot barrel to see how those shots grouped. Those are the 2 shot groups outside the circle. Load used was MK 319 Mod 0 (130 gr OTM Barrier Blind SCAR rounds).

I wasnt too upset with the groups for the set-up. Since then, i have put a Magpul CTS stock, Surefire Socom brake, ALG Defense (Bill Gieselle's company) Combat Trigger and have a JP silent capture buffer spring coming. Looking forward to seeing how much more pleasant this thing is to shoot then. Will also be testing M118 LR and my clone hand loads of same..thinking the 175's will do better.

Since this is my first 308 AR, is this decent accuracy from a factory 16" DPMS barrel and this platform?

most of the dpms lr308's I seen will shoot good. Most 16" barrels I have seen are way over gassed. Might think about getting an adjustable gas block depending on where your brass is landing.

Those 3 shot groups are pretty decent with the factory trigger. But 5 shot 100 yard groups are more indicative of over all accuracy. That said once you put in the ALG you should see a marked improvement in your groups. When I put Geissele's SSA-E in my SIG 716 , 2 Noveske N4's, LMT MWS and LWRC M6A2 SPR the groups improved markedly. The CTR stock was also a good move.

Those 3 shot groups are pretty decent with the factory trigger. But 5 shot 100 yard groups are more indicative of over all accuracy. That said once you put in the ALG you should see a marked improvement in your groups. When I put Geissele's SSA-E in my SIG 716 , 2 Noveske N4's, LMT MWS and LWRC M6A2 SPR the groups improved markedly. The CTR stock was also a good move.

Thanks guys. I agree on the 5 shot groups...I was just pressed for time that day and wanted to get some baseline Dope as well. I was more interested in seeing how much spread I got with a hot barrel, which I think is manageable based on the two shot groups once upgrades are complete. I already put the trigger in and just dry firing is like butter compared to the factory...no creep at all and a clean (ish) break. The JP silent capture buffer spring should be here any day and then I will put it all together and take it out again.

Agree on the over-gassing too Longarm...that will be the next upgrade since I also want to go with a rifle length handguard. Low profile and adjustable..