• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Ejector marks Help

Snipenace

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2011
GA
I am getting faint marks on the back of my brass. I'm using 44.6 gr of varget fed 210m primers lapua brass and 168 gr amax. I'm getting 2654 FPS out of my 24 in factory barrel and a 762 SD suppressor. Is it too hot?

Re: Ejector marks Help

hows the bolt lift and are the primer edges round or had the primer flattened out and filled to the edges of the pocket? if not i say shoot on.

The bolt lift is easy and smooth and the primer is round like it should be but the primer pockets feel a little loose but it may not be I have 5 fireings on this brass. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killswitch engage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hows the bolt lift and are the primer edges round or had the primer flattened out and filled to the edges of the pocket? if not i say shoot on. </div></div>

Load doesn't sound excessive, just a little warm, primer pockets might start loosening around five firings, it happens eventually. Has the rifle been cleaned lately? Any way lube, reloading or gun, could've gotten into the chamber? Is this the first time you've used this load? I get ejector marks, and other classic signs of pressure, Remington QC has caused many rifles to exhibit sign when there is no actual issue, I watch for a stiff bolt, loose, leaking, or popped primers, and signs of case head growth or seperation.

The rifle has been cleaned and it is possible it had oil before I fired it . yesterday I cleaned the chamber thinking it Could've been that and it was dirty and may of had oil in it. Is the brass still good to shoot with slightly loose primer pockets? I have fired this load 3 times without sticky bolt or and problem other than faint ejector marks. quote=Beef]Load doesn't sound excessive, just a little warm, primer pockets might start loosening around five firings, it happens eventually. Has the rifle been cleaned lately? Any way lube, reloading or gun, could've gotten into the chamber? Is this the first time you've used this load? I get ejector marks, and other classic signs of pressure, Remington QC has caused many rifles to exhibit sign when there is no actual issue, I watch for a stiff bolt, loose, leaking, or popped primers, and signs of case head growth or seperation. [/quote]

"faint marks" is what I'm focusing on. What are we talking about? Is this the round ejector mark on the case head from a Remington bolt, or what? If so, you have a hot load, period. BB

edit: excessive pressure, to be clear.

The marks are from the ejector some pieces of brass have it and some dont and some have more than one mark. But no sticky bolt or any other pressure sings.

And I just seen them but I've never looked for them. The velocity on my cronograph is with in 1 or 2 fps of each other so my idea is is there too much powder and it is not completely burning in the barrel

I have the same issue with my 6.5 creedmoor. Very slight ejector marks but nice round Primers with no flow and normal bolt lift. I don't see it on every piece and I saw no increase in anything shooting it at 85f yesterday. fuck it. I'm running it. Race cars come with a price.

Your velocity is within 1 to 2 fps of each other and you think there is incomplete ignition. I must be missing something.

Sometimes folks leave rds a little slick with case lube after resizing.

If the primer pockets are noticeably loose during seating, I would mark those pieces of brass and cull them.
If you're worried pressure suddenly rose, check a few things, powder and primer type and lot #, temperature now versus previous firings, scale calibration, velocity, case length, and bullet seating depth. If none of that changed pressure hasn't likely either. If you're worried, back off your load. Google Remington 700 ejector marks, they're pretty common, some from pressure, not all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"faint marks" is what I'm focusing on. What are we talking about? Is this the round ejector mark on the case head from a Remington bolt, or what? If so, you have a hot load, period. BB

edit: excessive pressure, to be clear. </div></div>

This

Couldn't this be caused by lubrication in the chamber? The brass expands, but doesn't grip the chamber walls enough, which leads to the brass coming backwards more forcefully than usual. I think I read that somewhere.... Just food for thought.

I get pretty good ejector marks but no primer marks or flattening or stiff bolt and was originally concerned but since it shot so good I just figured I would shoot the brass till it wore out but it's still going strong after 24 reloads.