• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision ELIR-3 or SPIR for long range illum?

CoryT

Gunsite Rangemaster
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 5, 2004
    Paulden, AZ
    www.gunsite.com
    So, between the two, what's the verdict? Used with a PVS-27 or CNVD-LR, which would you prefer, or is there another contender? I've already used the TNVC Torch and I've got a GCP-2A. The DBAL-D2 has what should be more or less the same as a SPIR. The MAWL C1+ is also an option, the LR illum is supposed to be the heat. Consensus is?

Luna ELIR3 for cost and size over the SPIR.

Solaris SRX from England is the tits. It is the size of a TNVC torch, but much higher powered. It out does the luna elir, and you can get a ring for it that is adjustable for windage and elevation. Out of the non mil style illuminators, I think it is best. Super clean beam as well.

Downside is that they are rarely in stock and the company does not communicate at all. I bought mine, never got shipping info and figured I had been duped. It showed up in my mail box a month and a half later. To be fair, it was the beginning of COvid.

The reason I like the Luna is due to the Rheostat. Similarly, the commie Perst units with rheostat would be another option, but that's significantly more than the Luna.

The Luna (at least mine) has more of an oblong laser than say a more circular output of a Peq. There are most definitely artifacts too, so it's not nearly as clean.

The Mawl has a very clean laser/illuminator, but I'm not entirely impressed with the unit based on price.

If you can get your hands on an NGAL, I think that would be the way to go. No rheostat, but it has a slick rear nob that throws the illum either wide or narrow with minimal twisting. Perfect for clip on when focusing the beam.

If you can swing the MAWL, just go with it.

I have a few brand new spares on hand if you can’t find a dealer with them in stock, including a couple of the limited run ODG units.

I either have a problem with spend-control or they’re breeding. :giggle:

• Haha
    Reactions: Edgecrusher
    If you can swing the MAWL, just go with it.

I have a few brand new spares on hand if you can’t find a dealer with them in stock, including a couple of the limited run ODG units.

I either have a problem with spend-control or they’re breeding. :giggle:

Given the pics of your collection, I can't rule out either :)

I'm thinking MAWL is the answer, but it's hard to compare them in YT vids. It's not like I really need it, but nice to have for class demos, I've already got two high power laser units but I like to have a commercial unit so clients can see what they can actually buy. I'll PM you on yours if need be, hoping to sell off a PEQ-16A first.

I believe Terry Cross uses the Mawl-DA as part of his NV spotter rig. Not sure how the DA compares to the C1 outside if Youtube video - garandthumb. They appeared very close in capability from a laser pointer perspective, but the Illum was a little noticeable, yet still usable. You might contact Terry to see if he's tested against the C1 for input since you're after a Civ unit.

I'd actually use a DA if BE Meyers or one of their dealers would do a sale to Gunsite as a demo unit. My high power DBAL-A3 is a factory supplied demo, I don't really like having expensive stuff with no factory support.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
    The reason I like the Luna is due to the Rheostat. Similarly, the commie Perst units with rheostat would be another option, but that's significantly more than the Luna.

The Luna (at least mine) has more of an oblong laser than say a more circular output of a Peq. There are most definitely artifacts too, so it's not nearly as clean.

The Mawl has a very clean laser/illuminator, but I'm not entirely impressed with the unit based on price.

If you can get your hands on an NGAL, I think that would be the way to go. No rheostat, but it has a slick rear nob that throws the illum either wide or narrow with minimal twisting. Perfect for clip on when focusing the beam.

I agree, i just started using the remote switch that came with my perst 3. Very nice having the rheostat right there at your discretion.

I have both the MAWL and ELIR-3. For clip on work I actually prefer the ELIR. The ability to use the rheostat, and also adjust the cone to just the right size is nice. Almost everything else goes to the MAWL.

Can 't talk to the SPIR, but I think the LUNA will take care of most people's night clip on shooting needs.

So, between the two, what's the verdict? Used with a PVS-27 or CNVD-LR, which would you prefer, or is there another contender? I've already used the TNVC Torch and I've got a GCP-2A. The DBAL-D2 has what should be more or less the same as a SPIR. The MAWL C1+ is also an option, the LR illum is supposed to be the heat. Consensus is?
    To reach way out there, I bought a Sirius xtl from across the pond....

ETA: the tree I'm lighting up is just under a mile away

We REALLY all need to get together.

NOD Shootout.
    THERMAL Shootout.
    IR Laser/Illuminator Shootout.

And other dick measuring. 😋

Reactions: mjh30
    I've always been impressed with the SPIR.

That being said a friend sent me a Luna to try out- holy frickin cannoli!!! And a good bit cheaper now that Steiner raised prices on (most) everything first of the year.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in the Luna for the price.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
    Solaris SRX from England is the tits. It is the size of a TNVC torch, but much higher powered. It out does the luna elir, and you can get a ring for it that is adjustable for windage and elevation. Out of the non mil style illuminators, I think it is best. Super clean beam as well.

Downside is that they are rarely in stock and the company does not communicate at all. I bought mine, never got shipping info and figured I had been duped. It showed up in my mail box a month and a half later. To be fair, it was the beginning of COvid.

I have an IRLightbuilds unit that is comparable to the Solaris. Did you ever use the Solaris side by side with the Luna? I’d like to add a elir-3 to my setup in hopes that I can focus the beam for 800 yards and in, and avoid lighting up the foreground, washing out the target. I’ve been looking for input and comparisons on these two specifically for a while, with no luck.

I have an IRLightbuilds unit that is comparable to the Solaris. Did you ever use the Solaris side by side with the Luna? I’d like to add a elir-3 to my setup in hopes that I can focus the beam for 800 yards and in, and avoid lighting up the foreground, washing out the target. I’ve been looking for input and comparisons on these two specifically for a while, with no luck.
    I have. The Solaris is a better illuminator, but the Luna is worth having as well. I can't really say how much better, or in what way better, other than it is cleaner and brighter. It is not as focusable.

My IRLB will throw a little light on a target at 800, but barely enough to shoot at it. I would like to know if the elir 3 has more power and focus at longer ranges than the Solaris. I understand it won’t work as well all around. I plan to use the other light as a flood ir in conjunction with the elir-3.

My IRLB will throw a little light on a target at 800, but barely enough to shoot at it. I would like to know if the elir 3 has more power and focus at longer ranges than the Solaris. I understand it won’t work as well all around. I plan to use the other light as a flood ir in conjunction with the elir-3.
    I can try to drag them out to a spot on my property this weekend where I can see out past a mile and give it a go, but I can tell you the Solaris absolutely lights up things like a light saber well out past 800.

I agree, i just started using the remote switch that came with my perst 3. Very nice having the rheostat right there at your discretion.
    Apologies in advance for the thread hijack.
    Are you saying that the remote switch from the Perst works with your Luna?
    I have a Luna and the adapter for the SureFire switch is completely fucking worthless.
    Would really like to find a solution.

the problem with the spir is lack of ability to collimate the beam to your view. depedning on where you mount it...it can be an issue.

Reactions: upSLIDEdown
    Seen where someone put thumb screw adjustment on the Luna . Anyone know where to get the parts and what is needed to modify.

These are the thumb screws and orings. He also had a band of inner tube around them to keep them from moving. I haven't gotten that far, but the thumb screws work great.

A little nail polish on the threads works as well as you need it. I use fuchsia.

Reactions: upSLIDEdown