• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

English Bulldog ?'s

Glock45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
south-central WI, USA
Soooo, during my shift the other day at the most glorious of the jobs a cop has, traffic post
smirk.gif
I saw a couple walking their Bulldog. I've always liked these "ugly" funny squat looking guys, but just never pulled the trigger on one. I think my dad said it best, "They're so ugly, they're cute."

Any of you own/owned them? What information + /- do you have about the breed?

Anyone, ESPECIALLY MIDWEST, know of any rescue groups(yes I've tried Google too) but sometimes there are groups that just would rather use word-of-mouth. I'd rather rescue than buy a pup if I can help it.

MIDWEST - any good breeders that breed for a healthy version of the breed vs trying to make them as wide, underbite and flat-nosed as possible?

I think this breed is right about my pace of life, and work well with my two boys that are 7/10 yoa.

Thanks in advance for any and all information!

-G45

Re: English Bulldog ?'s

IMHO English bullies are the best dogs! I realize that's open for debate but this has been my experience. I work on the road time to time and my girl "Pig" goes everywhere with me. Truly the most laid back loyal dog I've owned.

They love kids too!
10f0c6d8.png

93a816f1.png

They are great dogs. We are on our second. They don't require a ton of exercise, they will actually tire bit after a short walk, espacilly when it's warm. They are good for short "explosive" bursts of energy though, and do like to play. They don't like overly hot weather, so the midwest is a good climate for them. They don't really swim either, so don't think about a dip in the pool or lake will be fun. Some people think that they drool a lot but they don't.

Bulldogs are easy going, and faithful. Very even tempered. They have great personalities and can be very funny, but can be stubborn. 50 plus pounds of pure muscle.

Keep in mind bulldogs can have health issues. Without getting into too much detail, they typically can have breathing problems, due to the pushed in nose. They have the same amount of "airway" that a regular dog with a snout has, it's just all compacted. They also have a tendency to snore rather loudly, and aren't afraid of farting, LOL.

Do your research. There is plenty of good info on the AKC sites and such.

I don't really have much info on breeders. We looked around, but a puppy would have been difficult with our commitments. I would not buy from a breeder sight unseen, one of those deal where they ship the dog to you via air and you pick it up. Bulldogs are risky for airline travel due to their potential breathing issues. I would not fly one unless checked out first by a reputable vet that is very familliar with bulldogs first. They best way to make sure you get a healthy dog is to get one from a quality breeder if you choose to go the puppy route.

We found our current dog from a family that wanted to give her up since they had two other dogs and two small children and it was just too much for the mom, so we were just right place right time.

Our first one lived for 11 years, which is pretty good for a bulldog.

Good luck. Whichever way you decide to go, I don't think you'll be sorry.

Thanks for sharing your photos!! Your pooch is very nice looking!!! About exactly what I'll hope to acquire when the time comes. Not a huge amount of wrinkles, not too pushed up of a nose, AWESOME!!!

WOW. . . being at the right place to get an unwanted but from good home Bulldog. . .ya lucky duck you!!!
smile.gif

Thanks for the tip on airline travel. I would, if I had to travel just drive myself. I won't subject myself to airline travel with TSA fondling me and losing my gun in the checked baggage. Why would I subject my dog to airline travel? Just sayin'.

Thanks again, anyone else, I'll gladly take your input too.

-G45

They are the dumbest dogs I've ever seen. My sister has one and so do a couple of my friends. They do require more medical care than your traditional labs and retrievers so a vet membership is a good idea. They snore loud, lick allot, but are a Lot of fun. My buddies English just likes to hump stuff and fight. I can dig that.

My sister has a frmch bulldog as well which I like a lot more.

I've ears of some rescues here in TX. But don't know much about it

They are dumb actually, according to the rankings of dog intelligence. I have a friend that has two, and I think their
collective intelligence is about equal to a fence post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are the dumbest dogs I've ever seen. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are dumb actually, according to the rankings of dog intelligence. I have a friend that has two, and I think their

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are the dumbest dogs I've ever seen. </div></div> </div></div>

Come on dude, that's racial profiling!!! That's not right. It's all relative, and varies from individual dog to dog.

Come on dude

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jAXDIALATION</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are dumb actually, according to the rankings of dog intelligence. I have a friend that has two, and I think their

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are the dumbest dogs I've ever seen. </div></div> </div></div>

What the hell do you want, a dog that can do your taxes, or a loyal, faithful dog that is the coolest on the planet. Sheesh!

Chesty VII.

BTW, I don't like 'em. The ones I knew have had disgusting habits, were aggressive toward newborn/toddler children in the home and had to be sent away.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chesty VII.

BTW, I don't like 'em. The ones I knew have had disgusting habits, were aggressive toward newborn/toddler children in the home and had to be sent away.</div></div>

I believe you're confusing this breed with Pit bull dogs.

No; these were English Bulls, precisely as pictured above.

check with the bulldog club of America [AKC].
Do your homework on the breeder and ask alot of questions.
Make sure tale goes the correct way( or you will be cleaning his ass ).
Plan on 1200 to 2000 for pet quality and 2000 to 5000 for show quality.

Roomate had one named Weezy. Dog was awesome... shed quite a bit though and very gassy haha. They are a little more prone to health issues than your standard bread (lab, golden retriever, etc.) such as the breathing issues mentioned above. Also, they are prone to an eye condition called "Cherry Eye" which is when the tear duct pushes out under the eye. Easy surgery and not very complicated. Was about $600 if i remember right.
All in all, they are very low maintenance and love to have fun. Not very hyper at all, and great with kids. Arent the brightest dogs, but will listen to basic commands.
Go for it, especially if you have kids!

Hot Texas summer day haha
IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

I grew up with Olde English Bulldogges which are a little bit bigger than some of the ones I've seen lately. My parents bred them for a while. They can have some inherent issues with eyes, breathing, and their knotted tails. No, they may not be the brightest dogs around however, they were great with kids as they were sturdy and loyal, but stubborn and yes, gassy. As I have found out, NEVER give a hard boiled egg to a Bulldog! LOL.

url]

This is Handsome Jack on our small ranch years ago. Unfortunately, It's the only digitized pic of our old Bulldogs I have. He grew to about 120 pounds.

My girl Pig may not be the best at doping wind or negotiating mirage, or solving world problems....but she is the most loyal friend I've ever had and she's always by my side.

What the F#%k do y'all have a damn dog for anyways? A math tutor??

As for the comments about intelligence. . . I mean honestly. . there are people that are way way WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYY more stupid than most any dog!! We have to let them live!?!?!?
wink.gif

From what I've read, Eng Bulldogs are just my pace. Good to go for a 1-2 mile walk, they don't need to do marathon sprints everyday. <span style="font-weight: bold">ANY </span>dog can be aggressive, but I do believe that a vast majority of the Bullies are lo-key and not too excitable. I've seen docile pit-bulls, aggressive labs, 150lb Rottweiller push-overs and tiny ankle biters that'd take on a pack of Malamutes(they'd lose, but I know they'd try!)

Thanks again for the feedback and ESPECIALLY the photos!

The one of Bullie standing up on the counter is HILARIOUS!!!

Regards!
-G45

Just for you bulldog fans...I cant remember where I got this picture from but it cracks me up.

0de0c01d.jpg

I have to give you the coolness factor. They are cool.

The game changer for me was when i learned about their short life expectancy. I don't like burying dogs. So I avoid it. Stupid I can deal with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: echotango</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What the hell do you want, a dog that can do your taxes, or a loyal, faithful dog that is the coolest on the planet. Sheesh! </div></div>

They are good dogs I guess, I know several Peeps that have them and they love them. Just be aware of the Snoring ( loud enough Huskavarna is jealous) and these dogs tend to gulp alot of air too cause they fart and fart alot especially when they sleep. Hell I have seen them clear a poker game more than once.

I have one. Never thought I would, but the wife has always loved them. He is the biggest pain in the ass, and as stubborn as all hell.
However, he is the smartest little dog I've ever seen. They're not as dumb as you would think by looking at them.

I can hear ours snoring when i'm in the basement reloading, they are smarter than most inanimate objects.

my moms dog had a litter... too bad she sold all of them already. i know they have breathing problems. my older brother had one a couple years back. it had a heart attack and always had trouble breathing.

I just spent a few hours at the house of a 2 year old male.
During that time he Yacked once, and also sat in his own pee.

Aside from being cool, they are chick magnets. In fact they are so good, it might be justification enough to buy one right there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can hear ours snoring when i'm in the basement reloading, they are smarter than most inanimate objects. </div></div>

We spent 1300 on ours, 900 for soft palate surgery and nostril enlargement, 400 for a bladder infection, and 100 for an under-the-tail-nook infection (not butt hole, actually under his tail). They are spendy, get pet insurance from a young age. Ours is 8 months old so far and expensive. He does have all the aftermarket performance parts, like a new cold air intake. lol Great dogs though. Super affectiate and needy as all hell. He follows me through the house, every where. He also snores like an MF. We clean our bulldogs folds every day with a baby wipe and clean his ears pretty much every day. They get infections in their rolls easily. They aren't too smart but very loyal, our Jack Russell Terrier is a lot smarter. The make a good team though.