• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Everyday Sniper Podcast: Knowledge Bomb Edition: Rise of the Valkyrie

Striking out on gunsmiths with any real Valkyrie knowledge. I’ve talked to 4 today including lri. That guy at keystone has terrible communication skills to the point where I don’t want to give him my business.

Striking out on gunsmiths with any real Valkyrie knowledge. I’ve talked to 4 today including lri. That guy at keystone has terrible communication skills to the point where I don’t want to give him my business.
Anthony Ward at Crown Ridge Barrel Works.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Did you try milehigh? They built Frank's rifle and it is working out pretty good so far

I did call mile high, literally just got a return call from Adam and he gave me a some info and referred me to fritz at black canyon customs. Feel like I’m headed in the correct direction now. Thanks

I’ve ready through all of this and I am still on the fence of building a bolt gun Valk.

I have 4 cases of the Federal 90gr “seconds” but it seems the brass gets trashed easily at optimal velocities.

I don’t have a desire to use Berger bullets, likely 88eld but it doesn’t look like I would be able to get enough velocity from these with Varget or 8208xbr which I what I have.

If I were to build a Valk should I just ditch this ammo and buy Starline brass or shoot what I have and hope for the best with the brass?

I have a Kreiger 6.5 twist blank sitting here waiting to be cut.

Reactions: TNSleeper99
I’ve ready through all of this and I am still on the fence of building a bolt gun Valk.

I have 4 cases of the Federal 90gr “seconds” but it seems the brass gets trashed easily at optimal velocities.

I don’t have a desire to use Berger bullets, likely 88eld but it doesn’t look like I would be able to get enough velocity from these with Varget or 8208xbr which I what I have.

If I were to build a Valk should I just ditch this ammo and buy Starline brass or shoot what I have and hope for the best with the brass?

I had a lot of success and a lot of fun shooting the 88 eld’s out of my Valkyrie bolt gun, between 2775 and 2815fps. I had no problem making hits out to 1K with those speeds and the projectiles are surprisingly good for the price. I’m only going to the 85.5’s because I wanted to push it a little faster, and hoping they will be a little more consistent for competitive purposes. If you’re not worried about temp sensitivity then cfe223 is pretty readily available these days and should help you get a little more speed. I had no issue getting several loadings out of my federal brass at those speeds. Suppose you could always go 223AI, but I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in a Valkyrie and 88’s.

Thanks for the feedback, I’m mainly going to be using this as a cheaper alternative for my 6BRA for “practice”. I was thinking about the 80 eldm but it seems the 88s at slower speeds are the better choice.

I have been thinking about the AI, 22BR, and 22BRA but I don’t want this to be a rifle that shoots inside of my BRA with 103 VTs.

Thanks for the feedback, I’m mainly going to be using this as a cheaper alternative for my 6BRA for “practice”. I was thinking about the 80 eldm but it seems the 88s at slower speeds are the better choice.

I have been thinking about the AI, 22BR, and 22BRA but I don’t want this to be a rifle that shoots inside of my BRA with 103 VTs.
That’s exactly what I have used mine for the last few years. My training rifle, and back up for my 6CM. It’s a perfect fit in that scenario. Frank has gotten me excited about the cartridge again and the 85.5’a are much more available then the 105 hybrid that is my preferred 6mm projectile, so that’s why I’m giving it another go! Affordability, Availability, and barrel life!

That guy at keystone has terrible communication skills to the point where I don’t want to give him my business.
Same. I once considered them for a custom barrel. 10 seconds on the phone and they were off the the list permanently.

That’s exactly what I have used mine for the last few years. My training rifle, and back up for my 6CM. It’s a perfect fit in that scenario. Frank has gotten me excited about the cartridge again and the 85.5’a are much more available then the 105 hybrid that is my preferred 6mm projectile, so that’s why I’m giving it another go! Affordability, Availability, and barrel life!
Good deal, now do I shoot this federal ammo or buy Starline? I own a reamer with plenty of freebore for heavies so that’s not an issue.

Good deal, now do I shoot this federal ammo or buy Starline? I own a reamer with plenty of freebore for heavies so that’s not an issue.
I mean, if you don’t shoot it, what are you gonna do with it? Just leave it on the shelf? If it were me, I’d break in my barrel with it and see how it goes. If I’d turns out to not shoot well, then you’ll have a couple hundred pieces of fire-formed brass to play with powders and the 88’s. No need to order a bunch of new brass until you decide if you’re going to invest into the cartridge. The federal brass will hold up just fine at slower speeds.

I have a bolt gun in 224V as well with a Krieger 1:6.5 twist. I also shoot factory 88 ELDs out if it. The 88 ELDs suck out of a gas gun because the tips break easily.

However, out of my bolt action rifle, they are the most fun you can shoot out to 1000 yards and a little further.

The factory 88 ELDs aren't as fast as what some reloaders are accomplishing but since I practically bought a pallet load of the Hornady ammunition when it was cheaper than Federal GMM, I have a lot that will last me a while.

The rifle with everything on it weighs about 22 pounds. It feels like an airgun when I squeeze the trigger. Only when the light is really bad do I not pick up the impacts or trace of the bullet.

If you haven't experienced it already be prepared to hold into the wind more with the 224V than with something like a .308 or 6.5 CM. That's to be expected because of the lighter bullet.

You won't regret your build with that rifle barrel.

IMG-2786.jpg

Reactions: Farmbo🇺🇸
My build is in full swing. Scored the nucleus this morning. After talking to Fritz about wanting the freebore to be optimal for case capacity loading out to mag length etc. He has me loading a dummy and comparing to sammi to come up with a custom throat length. One thing we talked about and I’ll get you alls opinion on it was should I pull out slightly all my factory ammo and then re seat back to a minor jump? Thinking was to not have the factory ammo with some giant jump. I know obviously try and see just figured I’d see what the consensus is.

I've been on the fence over a Valk bolt gun build. I saw first hand the up side. Drumie's Valk with 85.5's held the same dope as my 6.5C with 130 Bergers running 2950 to 1000y at Miflen.

I just picked up a Nucleus but I just keep thinking why not a 22GT? I would not ever run factory ammo anyway.
  • No mag issues
  • More head room
  • More powder options

I really want to hear from @lowlight & @Drumie how many firings the Starline is holding up to at 3000+fps with the 85.5's?

Currently have a 18" gasser & push it fairly hard. Kind of have to, to get a sizable advantage over 223. As a result my junk brass box has a lot of Valk in it.

Reactions: Lowlight
I think lowlight in the recent podcast stated the 85.5 only needed to be doing 2,900 or so not 3,000 plus

I've been on the fence over a Valk bolt gun build. I saw first hand the up side. Drumie's Valk with 85.5's held the same dope as my 6.5C with 130 Bergers running 2950 to 1000y at Miflen.

I just picked up a Nucleus but I just keep thinking why not a 22GT? I would not ever run factory ammo anyway.
  • No mag issues
  • More head room
  • More powder options

I really want to hear from @lowlight & @Drumie how many firings the Starline is holding up to at 3000+fps with the 85.5's?

Currently have a 18" gasser & push it fairly hard. Kind of have to, to get a sizable advantage over 223. As a result my junk brass box has a lot of Valk in it.
Maybe my experience over the last 4 years with starline brass can be useful here. I've been shooting the V for 4 years now 24 in gas guns 88 ELDS with CFE at 2750 2780 very good out to a thousand plus but after many firings the starline brass primer pockets got loose of course and they started to go in the junk pile. I recently read a thread on a different valkyrie forum about a guy that had this procedure for reforming the primer pockets. I thought it was a bit complicated so I said what can I do that's easier, so I found a hundred pieces of my old Star line brass in the scrap bucket that had good necks and I measured the primer pockets (.475 plus/minus .001) and found that a 3/16 inch steel punch that I have and about the same diameter, has slight burr on the edge of it from years of use so I experimented by putting the annealed resized case in my case gauge, put the punch in the primer pocket and took a ball peen Hammer with two light taps and it would create a crimp or a shelf on both sides of the primer pocket inside. Long story short, I've now reused those cases three times using that procedure. I've annealed them each time so I can protect the necks but each one has been more than suitable for matches I've been shooting with the 24-in gas guns. Hope the info is useful.
By the way, I also have 3 cases of the federal 90 SMK "seconds" and they shoot lights out in my 24" 6T at 2740 fps per labradar. Dope was almost identical to my 88 ELDS in the same rifle.

I mean, if you don’t shoot it, what are you gonna do with it? Just leave it on the shelf? If it were me, I’d break in my barrel with it and see how it goes. If I’d turns out to not shoot well, then you’ll have a couple hundred pieces of fire-formed brass to play with powders and the 88’s. No need to order a bunch of new brass until you decide if you’re going to invest into the cartridge. The federal brass will hold up just fine at slower speeds.
I could sell it but I already have dies and a reamer for long throat Valk. If I keep the ammo and shoot it i will just rent a SAAMI spec reamer and then freshen up the chamber with my reamer to shoot the 88’s at a longer length. I should be able to get 2800 using Varget or 8208 with 88’s right? CFE223 sounds good but I’m not sure I want to mess with different loads for different temps. I’m in AR and in some season we can wake up to 20* temps and mid day it could be in the 60s

Maybe my experience over the last 4 years with starline brass can be useful here. I've been shooting the V for 4 years now 24 in gas guns 88 ELDS with CFE at 2750 2780 very good out to a thousand plus but after many firings the starline brass primer pockets got loose of course and they started to go in the junk pile. I recently read a thread on a different valkyrie forum about a guy that had this procedure for reforming the primer pockets. I thought it was a bit complicated so I said what can I do that's easier, so I found a hundred pieces of my old Star line brass in the scrap bucket that had good necks and I measured the primer pockets (.475 plus/minus .001) and found that a 3/16 inch steel punch that I have and about the same diameter, has slight burr on the edge of it from years of use so I experimented by putting the annealed resized case in my case gauge, put the punch in the primer pocket and took a ball peen Hammer with two light taps and it would create a crimp or a shelf on both sides of the primer pocket inside. Long story short, I've now reused those cases three times using that procedure. I've annealed them each time so I can protect the necks but each one has been more than suitable for matches I've been shooting with the 24-in gas guns. Hope the info is useful.
By the way, I also have 3 cases of the federal 90 SMK "seconds" and they shoot lights out in my 24" 6T at 2740 fps per labradar. Dope was almost identical to my 88 ELDS in the same rifle.
Thanks for the reply.

Trying to think this through for a new bolt gun build. Welcome to the cobwebs of my mind.

The Federal 90 SMK seconds was a big draw for building a bolt gun, but that ship sailed. Lowlight bought it all LOL.

If Berger or Hornady rebooted the Valk at bolt gun pressures It'd be more attractive to me. I'm not holding my breath!

Yeah I've been running the 88's 2725 with Lever from the 18" gasser. 2-3 and pockets are done.
For < 700y I've settled on 77RDF's @ 2940 from the 18". Looking like 4-5 on brass life for that load which is acceptable to me.

22" 6ARC (Gas) is pushing 109 Berger or ELDM 2730 - 2750 & Brass life looks good so far. I've got 200 cases 3 times fired and haven't lost a pc yet. It's a bit more recoil, but I can also fall back to 95VLD's for shorter range matches.

A 22 ARC would make a lot of sense at least in a gasser. If they do it it will have the same 52K factory ammo since some idiot would put bolt gun ammo in his gasser and Sue Hornady for their stupidity. Slightly more capacity and a stronger case head.
In a bolt gun we'd still be stuck with the low pressure factory offerings & back to square 1 with mag feeding BS.

I think I just talked myself into the 22GT for the new Nuk build. GA has Alpha brass on the shelf & my mags will all work.

I think lowlight in the recent podcast stated the 85.5 only needed to be doing 2,900 or so not 3,000 plus

This kinda make my point. I can get there (2900 ish) with the longer load length's out of an Accurate AICS in a 26" 223 bolt gun. With this I can also load 77's and shoot Tac class.
At 3000 plus the Valk has an advantage over a 223, but from a practical standpoint is it worth the trouble dealing with mags and brass vs 22GT running on cruse control @ 3050 -3150 from my existing mags?

Chris was at the range today with a new 22CM

His initial load was 2920 or something close and accuracy was sweet, so he was thinking 3100 with 85.5s

The 22GT would be my call too

I think the GT style case is perfect for light bullets and it’s straighter than the 22CM brass

2900 -3200 is gonna be the sweet spot for a 22/85.5 if you ask me, the bigger cases can go higher, but I think this is the speed mode we want

I like the GT case though

Reactions: Farmbo🇺🇸
Chris was at the range today with a new 22CM

His initial load was 2920 or something close and accuracy was sweet, so he was thinking 3100 with 85.5s

The 22GT would be my call too

I think the GT style case is perfect for light bullets and it’s straighter than the 22CM brass

2900 -3200 is gonna be the sweet spot for a 22/85.5 if you ask me, the bigger cases can go higher, but I think this is the speed mode we want

I like the GT case though
Love my 22GT, gets 85.5 and 90s to mid 3100s easy with N555. But the 7 twist is too fast and I get a lot of jacket failures. Next barrel will be 7.5 twist for that. I have a 7 on the Valkyrie too, but it does not have the RPM/jacket failure issues.

Love my 22GT, gets 85.5 and 90s to mid 3100s easy with N555. But the 7 twist is too fast and I get a lot of jacket failures. Next barrel will be 7.5 twist for that. I have a 7 on the Valkyrie too, but it does not have the RPM/jacket failure issues.
Are you getting failures with the Bergers or 88Eldm’s?

I was thinking 7T to be able to run 85- 95’s

I noticed GA is recommending 7.5 on the websight.

I the Valk is awesome in a bolt gun no regrets

I was just answering @375Max and I know his style

I think for someone who wants a bit of a mix and match, so factory and hand loads, I think the Valk works great. We know we can load it over 2900, no recoil and if the brass dies, nobody cries.

I was just being specific for him directly

Are you getting failures with the Bergers or 88Eldm’s?

I was thinking 7T to be able to run 85- 95’s

I noticed GA is recommending 7.5 on the websight.
I don't run Hornady. 85.5 berger and 90 SMK. Bergers hold up better. 7 twist is to fast for 22GT if you want to run it fast. At 3170 in 7 twist I am over 324k RPM on bullet. All the bullet manufactures I have talked to say to not exceed 300k RPM.

Reactions: 357Max
Anyone tried the 85gr match burners? Also noticed that re15 is dam close on the burn chart to cfe223. I know some guys don’t love it saying it’s temp sensitive but has always been good for me in other calibers. I have a lot of it and was wondering if anyone has given much of an attempt with the re15 and what there experience was.

this is the beauty of this whole thing...

Just use it and see, who cares, if the burn rate is close, try it...

it's like my 308 load, I use 2000MR, I don't recall that powder being advertised for a 308, but with heavies it does a nice job.

I have been looking into building a 224valk for a while & some barrels have come up for reasonable prices.

Stuck on what twist rate to go with, choices are
1 in 6.5"
1 in 7"
1 in 8"

I have been looking into building a 224valk for a while & some barrels have come up for reasonable prices.

Stuck on what twist rate to go with, choices are
1 in 6.5"
1 in 7"
1 in 8"

Mine is 1:6.5. It shoots 88 ELDMs like a laser beam.

Reactions: Drew M
Thankyou (y)

Was thinking either 6.5 or 7 twist for a Valk, would likely go 8 if it was for a .223

A local shop to me has IBI barrels on sale for $365au

I'll go up there in the next couple of days

Thankyou (y)

Was thinking either 6.5 or 7 twist for a Valk, would likely go 8 if it was for a .223

A local shop to me has IBI barrels on sale for $365au

I'll go up there in the next couple of days
I would suggest 22”-26”. Mine are both 1:7 24”. As you can see from this thread, we are all kinda chasing the higher speeds to make it a legitimate step up from 223 and close to competing with some of the 6BR/BRA/Dasher crowd.

Reactions: Drew M
Wow! What did he say??

• Haha
Reactions: 357Max
Well I found a smith with what seems to be awesome Valkyrie knowledge, Fritz at black canyon in Denver. That’s all that’s important at this point so I won’t bad mouth anymore then I already did. If someone wants a Valkyrie done though it seems you should call Fritz.

Well if you call and talk to him you’ll probably feel like I did. Comfortable in the thought of sending your stuff to him knowing he’s dabbled in the Valkyrie world. I felt like I was talking Chinese to most of the others I spoke with when I brought up the Valkyrie.

Well if you call and talk to him you’ll probably feel like I did. Comfortable in the thought of sending your stuff to him knowing he’s dabbled in the Valkyrie world. I felt like I was talking Chinese to most of the others I spoke with when I brought up the Valkyrie.
What I meant was, what constitutes "awesome Valkyrie knowledge"?

And what I said was someone who obviously has built plenty of them in bolt guns and understands the ideas wanted when building a bolt Valkyrie. If you need more info call him, use the search function here or spend time calling many like I did to then understand that Fritz is knowledgeable. Thanks

And what I said was someone who obviously has built plenty of them in bolt guns and understands the ideas wanted when building a bolt Valkyrie. If you need more info call him, use the search function here or spend time calling many like I did to then understand that Fritz is knowledgeable. Thanks
I see. Thanks

Well, yesterday was the day I was waiting for. A chance to test my Valkyrie load with 85.5’s against a tough field of 6mm varieties at a regional PRS match with target distances from 300-1000 yards. Conditions were cold for here with the match starting in the 20’s. Short version is that it was a rough day for me. I forgot to dial one stage, got confused when holding over/under on a stage with tight time constraints and just flat out mis-read my reticle while attempting to hold 1.2 lead on a mover. I ended up finishing smack in the middle of the pack. 42nd out of a 100 or shooters. The take home is that the Valkyrie kept up just fine, and I let myself down. This is a legitimate cartridge for precision work out to 1000-1200 yards and if I can make it work with an available powder like cfe it will be even better. I have a question for @lowlight and @Drumie. What BC are you all using for the 85.5’s in the 2900-3000 rang? It seems the advertised BC is based off a much lower velocity. Thanks guys and 🍻.