• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Expensive mistake?

I'm glad some people post their fuckups.

Me... I just try to keep them to myself/close friends, and wonder how I've survived this long,( firearm related and otherwise... mainly the otherwise part).

There was this one time that I ..... lest I digress from the original storyline.
The worse I screw up, the more friends are there to see it and spread the word. :) :) :)

• Haha
Reactions: DIBBS
Sounds more like a man who was an apprentice roofer. They get to haul bundles of shingles up ladders all day. You’re either THE MAN or you quit after the first day.
Could very well be a hybrid of Ron Jeremy, Ted nugent and the brawny man.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
As another FNG myself, I have found this thread to be both amusing and informative. However, I remain somewhat perplexed regarding the appropriate way to clean my guns. I have more dumb questions. 1) What is a bore brush used for if not to clean out the bore? 2) If a bore can withstand tens of thousands of rounds of lead and copper scraping down the sides at high vilocities what is wrong with a brass brush once in a while? 3) Why do some people become apoplectic when hearing that I want to clean my bore from the muzzle? Thank you in advance.

As another FNG myself, I have found this thread to be both amusing and informative. However, I remain somewhat perplexed regarding the appropriate way to clean my guns. I have more dumb questions. 1) What is a bore brush used for if not to clean out the bore? 2) If a bore can withstand tens of thousands of rounds of lead and copper scraping down the sides at high vilocities what is wrong with a brass brush once in a while? 3) Why do some people become apoplectic when hearing that I want to clean my bore from the muzzle? Thank you in advance.
1) You can also use a bore brush to clean carbon out of case necks as part of brass preparation.
2) It's not the brass brush, it's the steel cleaning rod.
3) If you cram said steel cleaning rod in from the muzzle, and it's misaligned, you can damage the very end of the rifling. This is bad because the end of the rifling is the last part of the rifle which the bullet touches. Cleaning from the muzzle can also push gunk and solvent back into the receiver.

FNG here. Purchased my first firearm (AR-15) recently. After the first range trip I decided to learn how to clean my weapon. Did a fair amount of research and video watching but apparently attention to detail is something you can't always teach as I took a chamber brush and ran it through the barrel 3 times before noticing what I did. Did I ruin the barrel? It's chrome moly btw. Appreciate any feedback and welcome the heat as well, I definitely earned it.
I don't know as much as most of the folks here but think I've done the same thing early on.......and I'm still kicking and shooting. And loving it.

Bet you're fine to go.

Just be prudent, as I am with new/experimental reloads or questionable hardware.........wear glasses/goggles and of course your ear protection.

^Exactly. I was just going to ask how you got it thru the barrel??

On an unrelated side note, reloading maybe isn't in the cards for you. :ROFLMAO:
Like your comment on reloading, haha!

And like your subnote below.........All bleeding eventually stops. Fact!

I fire once, let the barrel cool for 24 hours, then start scrubbing the barrel using a bore brush attached to a drill. I find 900 rpm works great. After about a month of this I am able to use .308 in my 5.56 barrel.
Multi-tasking!

Hold up. Can we discuss this?
More to the story, didnt want to type a essay...rifle brush and pistol brush had different threads, he put the rifle brush on the wrong cleaning rod, didnt seat all the way...so threads were exposed, and when he encountered a lil stiffness, he "tapped" the rod with a hammer(he is 80 and this made sense to him...) breaking at the threads, stuck in mid barrel...then, proceded to try to hammer it out with another alum cleaning rod, making a mushroomed fucking mess....I put a SS rod up to it , from either direction, and can not get any movement...I asked the ol fart, how fuckng hard did ya hammer on this??

the rifle is nothing special, I shot it as a kid 50 years ago...would be nice to not gall the crap out of the barrel ....

More to the story, didnt want to type a essay...rifle brush and pistol brush had different threads, he put the rifle brush on the wrong cleaning rod, didnt seat all the way...so threads were exposed, and when he encountered a lil stiffness, he "tapped" the rod with a hammer(he is 80 and this made sense to him...) breaking at the threads, stuck in mid barrel...then, proceded to try to hammer it out with another alum cleaning rod, making a mushroomed fucking mess....I put a SS rod up to it , from either direction, and can not get any movement...I asked the ol fart, how fuckng hard did ya hammer on this??
So all of that^ had nothing to do with:
ya, pops saw .223 and figured all things starting with .22 are the same...
??????

Whatever, I need coffee. Have a good freaking Friday.

Dude how the fuck did you manage to get a chamber brush through the bore?!?!

I can't fit a fucking .22 jag with a supposed .22 sized patch down a couple of my barrels without beating the end of the rod with a rubber mallet!!

At least you know she's all cleaned up now.

And to calm your fears that the rifle is utterly destroyed, it is. It is going to be super fuckered now. Sorry man. As my Pop always said, "educations cost."

I'm kidding. It's fine. If it's not, it's just an excuse to buy a really nice barrel and screw it on.

1) You can also use a bore brush to clean carbon out of case necks as part of brass preparation.
2) It's not the brass brush, it's the steel cleaning rod.
3) If you cram said steel cleaning rod in from the muzzle, and it's misaligned, you can damage the very end of the rifling. This is bad because the end of the rifling is the last part of the rifle which the bullet touches. Cleaning from the muzzle can also push gunk and solvent back into the receiver.
Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my uninformed questions! I have found the more I learn about shooting the less I know. My point is this, there is a lot to learn!

These work much better than a chamber brush for your barrel. Just don’t get the 12ga one for cleaning your 5.56/.223 rifle. 🙄

Attachments

• 399957DE-9370-4C33-8422-05349A4E52A1.jpeg
    399957DE-9370-4C33-8422-05349A4E52A1.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 31