• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

F T/R Competition F/TR Rear Bag

Blue Streak

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2010
KY via Oklahoma
I've seen many recommendations and threads here on the Hide about rear bags, recommendations, sizes, etc. and I've seen a lot of people recommending the triad bags. Those bags look very good, but for F/TR, are the bags such as the triad bags and similar okay, or is something more needed to be competitive?

Re: F/TR Rear Bag

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FCS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">F T/R use I'd strongly recommend an "Edgewood" rear bag. The original will work great for you in F T/R class.

http://www.edgebag.com/catalog.html

Jack is good people and a pretty fine shooter too! </div></div>

This is exactly what I'm using. Midway sells them.

Edgewoods are nice... I've used John Weil's and it obviously works for him.

I used to use a Protektor bag of a similar setup... it worked well also.

I got tired of hauling a 12-15lb lump around with me though, and started using a Red Tac Gear 'tactical pillow' for my main rear bag, and one of their regular models for an elbow bag. Way lighter and can't say I've noticed my scores change one bit (not due to that at least).

At the other end of the spectrum, Darrell Buell uses a couple old lead shot bags filled with dirt/sand and knotted off... and he does disgustingly well with them.

All the above leads me to believe its not *that* critical of a component, other than use something you're comfortable with.

As long as it's stable and stays that way you should be fine. At some level something that stays true through the recoil will help.

I think the biggest thing is to find one that you are comfortable with so that it doesn't distract you from looking at the wind, which is more important than pretty much anything else you do.

(A 2 MOA rifle can shoot a 180 in no wind, a .5 MOA rifle can get a 160 in tricky conditions)

Thanks for the good advise about the wind,..yeah, I'm concerned about that as I have limited experience shooting long distance with wind.

I just had a rifle built, has only the test round down the barrel so far. It should be .5 MOA gun but I hear what your saying about distractions and I can see that fighting a bag while loosing focus on other things could certainly be detrimental.