• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

FA Electronic scale or RCBS 502 beam scale?

taseal

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
SE FL
The FA electronic has some good reviews from midway, but the RCBS seems well made too. I'm staying away from the lee scale...

just wanted input on people who has used both. is the FA electronic one well made? accurate? for match loads...

or should I spend twice the money and get the RCBS one.

I'm not worried about spending twice as much if the RCBS is that much more accurate and better for the long run

RCBS Model 502:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=605320

Frankford Arsenal DS-750
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=175512

thanks!

Re: FA Electronic scale or RCBS 502 beam scale?

Try the rcbs charge master combo it has saved me lots of time and does a good job.
But when I go hog nuts I use a scale nas ease off on the coffee.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srtaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try the rcbs charge master combo it has saved me lots of time and does a good job.
But when I go hog nuts I use a scale nas ease off on the coffee. </div></div>

wait, I just posted a 35 dollar and a 65 dollar scale, and you are recommending me a 300 dollar scale?

seriously? you paying?

A digital scale is only as accurate as +/- the smallest digital increment that it reads. A beam scale that reads 1/10th of a grain will always be more consistant and accurate than a cheap digital scale, but will be slower to use. You can actually see the deflection a couple of granules of powder will make on the beam scale, but on a digital scale, you see no change in readout until the next digitized increment is reached. I have a RCBS beam scale and to speed measuring up I'll use a volumetric powder measure and set it just under the charge I want, and then trickle the last bit on the scale.

taseal,

There is a guy around that will sell you a tuned beam scale for around 60-75 bucks last I checked. It will read to 1 kernel of powder. His email is [email protected]

Josh

The guy you referred to as [email protected] is Scott Parker and I just got a tuned balance from him and it is great. The scale will move off zero from if you drop a single granule of Varget in the pan. I have not had a chance to use it yet but I have played around with it enough to be quite impressed.

wade

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srtaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try the rcbs charge master combo it has saved me lots of time and does a good job.

wait, I just posted a 35 dollar and a 65 dollar scale, and you are recommending me a 300 dollar scale?

seriously? you paying? </div></div>

No, but you are.

You need to determine what your time it worth.

If it is worth nothing then by all means drop one at a time with a tweezer. I on the other hand want to train and shoot, not make ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srtaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try the rcbs charge master combo it has saved me lots of time and does a good job.

seriously? you paying? </div></div>

No, but you are.

You need to determine what your time it worth.

If it is worth nothing then by all means drop one at a time with a tweezer. I on the other hand want to train and shoot, not make ammo. </div></div>

Chiller mirrors my thoughts. While I gave you an excellent option for a beam scale, the chargemaster combo is an amazing time saver. I seat rounds while the next charge is being thrown. By the time I get done the chargemaster is a couple seconds from having a new charge thrown. Now, I would really love a prometheus, but that just isn't in the cards and the chargemaster does all the job I require of it.

Josh

I can't afford top of the line everything guys. There is being part of the hobby, or always saving for the better one. if that's the case I need to have about 1500 dollars worth of loading equipment for something I haven't even attempted to try.

the tuned scale sounds like a better deal for me right now.

maybe when I start loading, know taht I enjoy it, I can put more money towards thigns like that.

I will add this though. I just watched a video of it, and that's the coolest thing ever. perhaps it can be a great xmas gift from my family in 6 months. lol

Taseal, I have an R.C.B.S. powder pro scale that must be the forerunner of the electronic scale that they are selling now. I have had it for quite a while and while it is an older one it is very repeatable, and thats what I look for in a scale as much as it being dead accurate for weight. Not that it is far off because it isnt. You are welcom to it for what ever you want to pay for it, or we can just say you owe me a favor someday and I"ll send it to you. You seem like someone that will put it to good use. Let me know.

IF I wanted to weight a lot of bullets, as the Midway photo shows, I'd get the digital; would still get a beam for weighing powder tho.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBeyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taseal, I have an R.C.B.S. powder pro scale that must be the forerunner of the electronic scale that they are selling now. I have had it for quite a while and while it is an older one it is very repeatable, and thats what I look for in a scale as much as it being dead accurate for weight. Not that it is far off because it isnt. You are welcom to it for what ever you want to pay for it, or we can just say you owe me a favor someday and I"ll send it to you. You seem like someone that will put it to good use. Let me know. </div></div>

Bob, that's a very nice gesture of you. I just sent you a PM. you would be a huge help in helping me with my budget to save up the for the reloading kit.

It is true that a digital scale is only as accurate as its smallest decimal number, if you can shoot the difference that a tenth of a grain makes you are the only one that can.