• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Factory 308 ammo help

Sebastian777

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2013
KY
I have a Savage 10 P-SR (18" threaded bbl) on the way and am trying to see what factory ammo you guys have had luck with for precision shooting. I'll be shooting paper at mostly 200 yards or less, hoping one day in the future to get out to a 600 yards range. I'm wondering what factory ammo you guys with similar rifles have seen the best precision with. Feel free to answer in bullet weights and whatnot or with specific brands and models of ammo. If it's semi affordable (under $1/round) even better!

Do I need match grade ammo to get this rifle to shoot sub-moa out of the box?

FGMM 168's out to 300, 175's past that. My savage FCP-K last 6 5 shot groups at 100 average .408" 500 yds with 178's averaging .62MOA. Blackhills also shoots very well but for factory the Federal's just kill it.

Federal Gold Medal match is the "gold" standard, literally. Good luck finding it cheap. Remington Premier Match 168's are better the Federal on a good day but they cost about the same. Hornady makes it's own 308 match ammo with Amax bullets that is pretty good as well. S&B makes match ammo that is second tier but works. You can occasionally find M118LR or an overrun of production and that does alright. Black Hills match ammo is first rate and 168's or 175's are both good.

Paying less than a buck a round is nearly impossible these days. Like pretty much everyone here, I reload. I use commerical ammunition to compare my reloads too. You could buy 200 new cases, primers, projectiles and powder and find a buddy with some equipment for less than buying commerical.

Buy a few different brands and bullet weight of factory ammo, find out which one your rifle likes best and either stock up on it or duplicate it reloading your own.
Cheers.

Federal GGM 175's are the tightest grouping. But I have shot quite a bit and they run hotter, the groups open up very little, but plenty good for paper at 200. I shoot a Savage model 10 with a 20in bull barrel and Chaote stock