• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Favorite Brew Thead.

flyboy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2008
State College, PA
As the title implies, whats your favorite beer.

Also If you home brew whats your secret to making it better for you.

Me, well I love travling with my job and trying ever microbrewery I can get to. I'm an ale and reds kinds guy but will try just about anything once, of five time depending how far into the night I am.

Re: Favorite Brew Thead.

I fly for a living too and I've had the pleasure of drinking beer in many weird ass places but.........

Around a campfire = budlight

In a bar = Murphys or Guinness

Favorite odd ball beer that I've found on the road
3130103030_73daf2788f.jpg

I picked up a couple guys and there two kids in Bozeman, MT. They were coming home on a fishing trip and probably had 20 cases of this in the plane when all was said and done!

Budlight used to be a favorite of mine but ever since they sold out to a foreign company I enjoy drinking Landshark Lager. Made in the good ole U S of A!

If its beer I'll drink it. However if I get a say in it I'd say Steinlager is my top choice.

I like anything that isnt brewed with rice, IE asian beers / Bud&Bud light......just dont sit well!!!

Current favorites
Domestic:Anchor Steam Liberty Ale

Import: Creemore Springs Lager (Canada only)
Fullers ESB

Kickin it old school at the dive bar w/ my mates: Pabst Blue Ribbon.

For pounding.....Old Milwaukee Light by a longshot
For when you don't want cans laying all over...Hienekan

Tough to beat a good authentic Belgian Ale!
Doubles, Tripples, Abbeys, Framboise, Goldens, are just a few styles.

Depends on my mood and what I'm having with it if anything.

Whatever's local or different on tap at most restaurants (e.g. a place has taps for Bud Light, Miller Light, Budweiser, and Yuengling I'm going to have a Yuengling).
Bud Select or Dos Equis Amber on tap at my current favorite Mexican restaurant.
Bud Ice or Bud Light Lime bottles for drinking at home.
Landshark, Corona, Harp, Guinness Stout, and Foster's bottles are my go-tos depending on what's being cooked at home.

No real number one favorite for me.
I love trying stuff I've never tried before.
Sometimes you find a gem and sometimes you find a skunk.

Sam Adams is my everyday brand.
Not a big fan of IPA's, but I'll drink them if you have them.

I really like Stouts & Bocks. Hefeweizens too.

I'm a big fan of stouts. My current favorite beer is Elysian Dragonstooth Stout.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I fly for a living too and I've had the pleasure of drinking beer in many weird ass places but.........

Around a campfire = budlight

In a bar = Murphys or Guinness

Favorite odd ball beer that I've found on the road
3130103030_73daf2788f.jpg

I picked up a couple guys and there two kids in Bozeman, MT. They were coming home on a fishing trip and probably had 20 cases of this in the plane when all was said and done! </div></div>

I feel bad for all you guys in places where beer like Moose drool is considered "odd ball"

laugh.gif

That brewery has a few others that are really good to their Snow dog is awesome.

I like all kinds of beer, to many to list.

My favorite is probably going to be Rogue Morimoto Soba. Overall brewery Rogue wins hands down.

I do love some Reissdorf Kolsch
smile.gif

Warsteiner is a great standby as well.

The Morimoto Soba Ale is part of the new Signature Series of Rogue Ales, launched in the Spring of 2003 with internationally acclaimed Chef Masaharu Morimoto—a James Beard awarded chef and one of the stars of the Food Network series, Iron Chef.

Soba (also known as buckwheat) is not a type of wheat but a member of the rhubarb family and has been a longtime staple of Japanese cuisine because of its nutritional value. Buckwheat is high in potassium, phosphorous, vitamin B (50 percent more than wheat) and protein, and its virtually fat-free. The fruits of the buckwheat plant are like small beechnuts, which are milled to separate the edible groats from the dark brown hulls. The groats are then roasted and used more or less like a grain (a good example is Kasha).

Style: Specialty Grain Food Pairing: Seafood, Poultry

Tasting Notes:
The delicate flavor of our roasted Soba brings a nutty finish to this light and refreshing ale. A perfect accompaniment to lighter cuisine.

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Roasted Soba, Harrington, Metcalf, Munich & C-15.

Hops: Crystal.

Yeast & Water: Rogue’s Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.
Specs:
12º PLATO

30 IBU
75 AA
14º Lovibond

2008 World Beer Cup—Gold
2008 New Zealand International Beer Awards—Bronze
2008 Australian International Beer Awards—Bronze
2007 World Beer Championships—Silver
2006 World Beer Championships—Silver
2005 World Beer Championships—Gold, Best of 2005
2005 21st Beverage Dynamics Pkg Awards—2nd Redone Pkg
2004 GABF—Silver
2004 International Beer Comp (London)—Silver
2004 Los Angeles County Fair—Bronze
2003 World Beer Championships—Silver
2003 California Brewer’s Festival—2nd

laugh.gif

Morimoto_1.jpg

3233707141_1b258c0f10.jpg

My personal opinion, it's like an American ale with all the rich and slightly sharp flavors that go along with something more bodied.

I bought a Keg of Rogue Deadguy once, and it was really a choice I never regretted despite the cost. I will definitely be trying to lock down a keg of Morimoto's Soba for the next event I have capable of requiring a keg
smile.gif

I'm digging the Lagers lately; Sam Adams lager

Great Lakes Brewing Co, "Elliot Ness" Lager

Blue Point Brewing Co. "Toasted Lager"

Ales; Middle Ages Brewing Co. "Impaled Ale" featured at the local BBQ joint, and Rohrbocks Brewery Rochester NY "Scotch Ale" @ 8% its a winner.

Moosehead for every day thirst quenching, Pilsner Urquell when I'm feeling flush.

Bob

fearless-brewing-43932.jpg

These guys make a cream ale that you can pretty much drink until you can't stand without thinking about it it tastes so good.

Unfortunately their brewery has shitty service, and terrible food. Great beer though.

iceaxe_mthood.jpg

I can't think of anything that tastes better than a pitcher of Ice Axe after a long day of snowboarding or climbing on Mt Hood.

For my birthday, my fiance bought me a nitro setup and a stout faucet for our kegerator. It's amazing how much different (and how smooth) a stout tastes on nitro and dispensed through a proper faucet. Now I can guzzle stout like it's water.
smile.gif

Coors Light
Sam Adams
Sam Adams Octoberfest
Bud Select

Served in a cold long neck bottle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">For my birthday, my fiance bought me a nitro setup and a stout faucet for our kegerator.</span></span> It's amazing how much different (and how smooth) a stout tastes on nitro and dispensed through a proper faucet. Now I can guzzle stout like it's water.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Marry that girl fast! Men desire her.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">For my birthday, my fiance bought me a nitro setup and a stout faucet for our kegerator.</span></span> It's amazing how much different (and how smooth) a stout tastes on nitro and dispensed through a proper faucet. Now I can guzzle stout like it's water.
smile.gif
</div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

She also is into home brewing, and shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">For my birthday, my fiance bought me a nitro setup and a stout faucet for our kegerator.</span></span> It's amazing how much different (and how smooth) a stout tastes on nitro and dispensed through a proper faucet. Now I can guzzle stout like it's water.
smile.gif
</div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

She also is into home brewing, and shooting. </div></div>

Bragger.

My favorite is what ever is free and if I'm paying the I get Dos Equis Amber. I keep my beer selection from south of the border.

I used to be really into light lagers, and I never really liked ales. The problem that I had (and I think a lot of people have) is that there's a lot of really, well, bad mass produced ale out there, and that's what people are most likely to be exposed to. If anyone has the chance to get out to a local brewpub and try some of the less common stuff I think darker ales would be a lot more popular. Still, I do enjoy the light lagers from time to time.

I just tried some Bud Light Golden Wheat and was pleasently surprised...smooth, with a nice finish, 6 didn't last long. It's hard to get exotic beer here, usually if you do, it's been around so long that it's skunky. The Montana Brewing Co. in Billings makes some damn good micro's, I stop in whenever I get a chance.

Great Divide Brewing Co. - Titan IPA, Saint Bridgets Porter, & Belgica
Harboe - Bear Beer
Spaten Optimator

and on the lighter side of things

Peroni
Hieneken
Amstel Light
Lowenbrau

It's hard to narrow it down. I love beer.

+1 on the Belgians especially the Trappist. Mac and Jack is a staple in the greater Seattle area. Can't say enough about Pliny the elder from Russian river brewing. Barney flats oatmeal stout is exceptional. I like to keep some Sierra Nevada pale or Sam Adams Boston lager handy for the days when the kegerator runs dry.

To the other question, how to brew a better beer...

Use quality fresh ingredients and liquid yeast like white labs or wyeast. Don't brew a a huge beer if you don't know what you are doing. Clean and sanitize your equipment, especially the post boil gear...starsan and PBW by five star chemicals are hard to beat for such purposes. Use a refractometer to get gravity measures as hydrometers suck. Most important is temp control throughout the process especially during fermentation.

Ive been making my way thru any hefeweisens i can find. Current fav is Russian: Baltica #8 Its on the lighter side, but its smooth and tasty.

For stuff i can find regularly:

Shock Top Wheat
Paulander Hefe
Leinie Honey Wheat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SniperCJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive been making my way thru any hefeweisens i can find. Current fav is Russian: Baltica #8 Its on the lighter side, but its smooth and tasty.

For stuff i can find regularly:

Shock Top Wheat
Paulander Hefe
Leinie Honey Wheat </div></div>

Hi5 for this guy love some Baltica where you can find it. Gotta be off the tap though I bought a 60 ouncer of Baltica 9 whoa man that was not the greatest
laugh.gif

l_20ed251a4307c1d4992c46fdb90e038b.jpg

This is the "Rote Platze" in Koln DE

dos equis amber draft
miller lite for the normal at home fridge beer
great divide brewery (good call)
breckenridge brewery - avalanche
blue moon or shock top
stella artois...first time i had that was 14yrs ago in Europe before it ever set foot here...then first time i saw it stateside was in san diego about 6 years ago, now its everywhere

me and a buddy up in the new hampshire area from time to time..ship each other beer from local breweries of places that we dont have in our respective locations (ie i send him beers from Abita - turbodog, purple haze, etc...) he sent me one from up there that was outstanding, called pumpkinhead...tasted like a cinnamon pumpkin spice muffin that was a killer beer...anyone want to do any beer swapping shoot me a PM i am always down for that!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Coors Light
Sam Adams
Sam Adams Octoberfest
Bud Select

Served in a cold long neck bottle! </div></div>

What no love for the Kentucky Ale???
grin.gif

Blue Moon is at the top of my list!Followed by....
Bud Light
Coors original
Bud(on tap)
Red Stripe

Top is Flying Dog Double Dog
Second LongTrail Double Bag

I'm a big fan of the double ales.

This season I also enjoy the pumpkin ales
Favorite is Dogfish Head Punkin Ale

Can't be picky about beers. Favorite is Bohemia, but Coors, Bud, and Heineken are what I usually have.

-V-

MMMMMM. Nothing like a glass of beer after work.

GlassofStout2.jpg

At the bar beer: Coors Light

Drinking for the sake of getting drunk beer: Keystone Light or Beast Light

Sitting around the house beer: Most anything from Abita or Lazy Magnolia breweries

Anytime I'm in Florida cuz they don't have it in Mississippi beer: Sweetwater

Stella Artois-love it my buddy from belgium introduced me to it and it has been a staple around here. He had some other beer that he bought that were just plain nasty but his beerness is spot on usually. Love going beering with him.

My fav right now is Long Hammer by red hook. It is delicious.

My favorite beer is a regional seasonal that just came out, it's made by Deschutes Brewery and it's called Jubelale. I can't describe it any other way than intensely flavorful, complex, and well-balanced.

On tap at home, we have a keg of my homebrewed version of Moose drool (running nitro through a perlick) and a keg of local Elysian Dragonstooth Imperial Stout running nitro-pushed through a SS stout faucet. We also keep PBR in the fridge for when we don't really feel like drinking. It's always served from a glass though.
wink.gif

I haven't met a beer I didn't like, but for sake of discussion, I have currently been enjoying some Tecate and the variety pack sold at Costco, which has Heffeweisen, pale ale, German lager which is off the hook, and some Amber ale.

tecate-1.jpg

Sam Adams seasonal brews are very nice.

I'm thirsty.