• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Feral Dog Packs

diggler1833

World's Okayest Rancher and Hog Hunter
Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'm sure that some if you have to deal with this too.

This summer I've had three different packs of dogs on the ranch. Usually there are just 2-3 dogs each time. I get them on my game cameras at least twice per week, often three times. Ive had up to five at a time on camera though.

I've caught a couple of them out in the open before, but have always come up with an excuse to let them live. My wife is a Veterinarian, and I'm a dog lover...no desire to shoot dogs (usually). Ive asked all the neighbors, and nobody within a mile owns any dogs like the ones I have photos of. Can't trap, don't want to catch calves.

However my deer have all but disappeared, and my cattle are getting spooked by the dogs. So I've made the decision to regretfully start thinning them out.

This evening I walked outside and immediately noticed my cows two pastures over bawling (a pissed off cow has a distinct sound). I also heard dogs barking. This is my current calving pasture, so I have even more at stake here.

I grabbed the kids and an AR and hauled ass over there on my SxS. Sure enough, five dogs entertaining themselves by running my cows. I headed the dogs off, jumped out of the Ranger after telling the girls to cover their ears and got to work.

Hitting a running dog offhand is harder than I thought, but I reduced the group from five to two by the time they made it to cover ~75 yards later. No collars, no way to tell who they belonged to or anything. They are now stacked like hogs, awaiting to feast the buzzards.

My six and three year old had to watch it too (not leaving them alone in the house). Not real happy about that either.

I still can't find any of my newborn calves. There are some wooded areas in that pasture, so I'm hoping that maybe they went and hid in there...but I've got some searching to do tomorrow.

I guess this is some sort of soapbox PSA, but if you have dogs, please keep them tethered. I am more than a bit irritated about having to do what I did. However I'm at the point now where I'll treat every stray like a coyote.

Hope all of you have a good day.

You shouldn’t feel bad whatsoever. You obviously have a conscience and have a legit reason for doing what you did.

We get the same issues with cats. I’d never shoot one with a collar and always leave them go if not a nuisance. But not every animal is a pet. Even though it may look like one

People have pet hogs, deer, prairie dogs etc etc. But if you know there not a pet then it’s just a nuisance animal. No different then a rodent or coyote.

In some cases even the domesticated wear their welcome out. Even though the owners are more the issue then the animals

Many of us have had your problem. People get pets for Xmas and v-day and can't control them or not so cute puppies anymore so they bring them to the country to set them free. Yeah killed more dogs than the feds ever could because of asshole people.

As much as I’ve hated to do it I’ve had to shoot feral dogs in eastern Washington.
    They can be very destructive.
    When I was younger I thinned out excessive feral cats.
    People that abandon animals need a special kind of punishment in my opinion.
    :mad:

Gentleman about 40 miles east of Albuquerque had the same problem, no collars or tags. He found out who they belonged to by stringing up their carcasses on a barbed wire fence that paralleled a county road at the boundary of his property. The owners, all city folk who moved to the country, made all kinds of threats until the county sheriff visited them and informed them their threats might lead to jail time or worse, much worse. The dog problem "died" over a period of about two months.

We run into similar issues.

Sucks, I don't want to neutralize someone else's dog or pet either. But I have to protect my children and animals also. Our horses and cattle are up the hill above the house, we were having hell with the neighbors dogs, I wouldn't send the kids up to the horses or cows by themselves due to those dogs. No matter the conversations with the neighbors and sheriff, nothing was done. We had to take matters in our own hands to protect our side.

Had 3 kill a calf and try eating the birthing cow alive just before I shot all 3. Lost both calf and cow. The final standing....a pitbull growled and moved towards me after I put down his buddies. Imagine that with a child. That type of roaming dog near my livestock=dead dog and I love dogs. Within reason of course. I'm not lighting up a hound dog or golden retriever. Legally where I live on your property fair game but feral abandoned dogs vs a civilized dog is an easy judgement. Aggression and up to no good is readily evident. I'm not talking beagles, coonhounds and normal house dogs that roll through.

Last edited:
    It's a sad situation.

I was heading out a rural road one pre dawn morning to a friends ranch to hunt my blind when my headlights picked up eyes in the road. I slowed down and found myself in the middle of a pack of abandoned dumped and now feral dogs. They were all breeds, shapes and sizes, big dogs, a beagle down to small poodles. They had packed together for survival. Just like abandoned kids would do. Lord of the Flies.

Some pos dumped a big German Shepard at the same friend's ranch gate down the road that faithfully stayed there hoping and looking for his pos owner to return. I took food to him every day and fixed him a house out of a deer blind until he finally came down off a hill to eat and let met pet him and put a leash on him.

He became my mom's personal guardian and companion and his ashes were spread with hers

Heartbreakingly sad when people throw away their loyal pets.

here too. out here in the county, dogs are left outside and all they do is bark all night at the coyotes and wild dogs all over the place. many nights i see this pack of 3-4 dogs just stroll the yard and causes my dog to go insane. Im reluctant to get the puppy popper though because the leader has to be someones dog. He is too big and pretty to be wild. Pain in the ass though.

Reactions: diggler1833
    I don't think these were throw aways.

I truly believe that they are just loose dogs that belong to a few meth heads in various spots in the woods a couple miles in some direction, and have been neglected and packed up.

I'll give it a few days and see if anyone wants to come here and start shit over it. I’ve talked with everyone close by about this problem, so I don't think it'd be too hard for someone to figure out who to ask about their missing dogs.

Maybe I'll get a few deer back by the time the season starts. I'm still carrying a gun though for the rest of the dogs.

Last edited:
    here too. out here in the county, dogs are left outside and all they do is bark all night at the coyotes and wild dogs all over the place. many nights i see this pack of 3-4 dogs just stroll the yard and causes my dog to go insane. Im reluctant to get the puppy popper though because the leader has to be someones dog. He is too big and pretty to be wild. Pain in the ass though.

This is what I think I have as far as an issue.

It started in Feb with two huge white dogs that looked like Pyrenees crosses chasing a deer into the creek 100 yards from my back door. Then a pack of three black dogs, then this mixed pack of five (which may have some of the previous dogs in it).

I piled up a big black lab cross and a big white Pyrenees cross this evening. These dogs were way too big to leave alone. The third was a heeler mix.

I've still got some more work to do with these dogs, but it was a decent start.

Reactions: Bender

I truly believe that they are just loose digs that belong to a few meth heads in various spots in the woods a couple miles in some direction, and have been neglected and packed up.
    Even more reason not to worry about it. Someone asks you, you haven’t seen them. Just move on and keep shooting

My six and three year old had to watch it too (not leaving them alone in the house). Not real happy about that either.

You know, I was in the shoes of your little kids not all too long ago; I watched my grandfather and uncles shoot wild dogs and coyotes on their ranches and toss partially eaten calves on the burn pile, that was part of life. Every parent wishes they could shield their children from the harshness of life, but life doesn't afford that. Being around them dealing with dogs/yotes helped ground me in reality - you can only do the right thing and kids learn well from that.

And fuck wild dogs, they'll drag a calf down as fast as any other predator out there.

I have lost calves and other livestock to this kind of bullshit. I have no regrets. If you are a dog and you are chasing animals you are dead. No fucks given, no sleep lost over little Mary missing her pup. Should have kept it at home.

I truly believe that they are just loose digs that belong to a few meth heads in various spots in the woods a couple miles in some direction, and have been neglected and packed up.

I'll give it a few days and see if anyone wants to come here and start shit over it. I’ve talked with everyone close by about this problem, so I don't think it'd be too hard for someone to figure out who to ask about their missing dogs.

Maybe I'll get a few deer back by the time the season starts. I'm still carrying a gun though for the rest of the dogs.
    If you have a sub-division out in rural areas you're going to see tag wearing, vaccinated dogs roaming the ranch land. They'll go on hunts and return home run down, exhausted, covered in burs and sleep for two days.

You have to protect your stock so outside of trapping ( I know you couldn't due to calves ) you did what you had to.

This coming from a dog person.

Reactions: TexPatriot
    You know, I was in the shoes of your little kids not all too long ago; I watched my grandfather and uncles shoot wild dogs and coyotes on their ranches and toss partially eaten calves on the burn pile, that was part of life. Every parent wishes they could shield their children from the harshness of life, but life doesn't afford that. Being around them dealing with dogs/yotes helped ground me in reality - you can only do the right thing and kids learn well from that.

And fuck wild dogs, they'll drag a calf down as fast as any other predator out there.
    On a big ranch we were working on when I was a teen there was a herd of goats, which is common in the Hill Country. We passed by them in a pasture and they were browsing, doing goat stuff. A couple days later we went by the the same pasture and they were all dead, a whole five acres covered in white bellies.

That was an all night killing spree. I don't think 'yotes would do that. They'd take a few down to eat but not kill the whole herd.

Last edited:
    If you have a sub-division out in rural areas you're going to see tag wearing, vaccinated dogs roaming the ranch land. They'll go on hunts and return home run down, exhausted, covered in burs and sleep for two days.

Man, I'm so far out here in the country...I'll put it this way:

30 minutes later I had the girls on the "highway" (the last state highway in the state to get paved) between my properties (1 mile drive). I saw who I thought was my buddy (cop) coming in the other direction so I flagged him down.

Nope. Was an officer from a larger jurisdiction (we'll say to protect him). Bear in mind neither I or the girls have seat belts on, and they're in the front seat with me. *Before some anal retentive cuck living in a condo in a mega city gets upset about this...this the the country, and we don't care about your opinions.

Officer and I exchange names and pleasantries in the highway, have a conversation for ~60 seconds, and then part ways...nothing was said to me. Good thing too because I didn't have my license on me anyways.

Our public school also still has prayer before lunch daily.

Other than the hidden meth labs, I love it out here.

Ya know, the 3, now pack of 5 ive had an issue with are prob in the same camp. Next time they will not be so lucky.

On a big ranch we were working on when I was a teen there was a herd of goats, which is common in the Hill Country. We past by them in a pasture and they were browsing, doing goat stuff. A couple days later we went by the the same pasture and they were all dead, a whole five acres covered in white bellies.

I don't think 'yotes would do that. They'd take a few down to eat but not kill the whole herd.
    Yeah, coyotes usually just chased rabbits and small game, but local dogs would sometimes join in a hunting pack and they'd bring down cattle. It never got bad enough to get more than calves but they'd probably have killed goats if there were any around.

Warned a guy about dogs chasing deer. He let it continue. Had the farmer with me when we saw them. called him up and left the phone on the dash while I put down his precious daughters pets. I have no sympathy for errant dog owners or their ilk. Hell I'm a cat lover and had to put down about 100 of them one day. Ferals have no place on a farm.

Ya know, the 3, now pack of 5 ive had an issue with are prob in the same camp. Next time they will not be so lucky.

I think we were on the phone when I chased off a couple this spring.

If ive mistaken you for someone else, I apologize.

Yeah, coyotes usually just chased rabbits and small game, but local dogs would sometimes join in a hunting pack and they'd bring down cattle. It never got bad enough to get more than calves but they'd probably have killed goats if there were any around.
    Coyotes will kill goats, especially kids, in a heartbeat. Thats why smart ranchers have Great Pyrenees guarding the herds. But what I saw, the field of dead goats, was not predation to eat, that was wanton killing.

I live rural and on our Nextdoor a neighbor rancher that raises and sell miniature donkeys posted that a pair of donkeys were pulled down and killed by dogs, probably belonging to one of the local methbillys. If I drove by and witnessed that there would be some dead dogs. I'll let a strange dog pass by and if it's friendly and I can pet it and read it's tags Ill even call the owner. If it's a free roaming pit it doesn't get a pass. I hate those ghetto fuckers.

Last edited:
    In the late 60's feral dogs would pack up and cause trouble in the southeastern states. Stories of packs attacking linemen and loggers in the woods. I remember one news story about a logger that fought off and killed 3 with a chainsaw. Hunting magazines of the day did articles on how to hunt them and how to train. Different end of the country so different methods. One training method was to place 4 or 5 old basket balls under an old washtub about 50 yds up a hill. Lift the tub with a rope and they'd start bouncing and rolling towards you, gaining speed the whole time. When you could pop them all before they got to you it was deemed that you were ready. Reliable pistol and knife as backup.

When packed and wild they are killers, treat them as such.

Thank you,
    MrSmith

Reactions: deersniper
    Family has a ranch is NE Oregon and I'm an all in dog person to the point I don't even enjoy shooting coyotes anymore even though I view them as in the dog family.... until they pack up. When that happens the handcuffs are off. I watched a group of five coyotes going after a couple deer in the alfalfa fields one day and that caused the change in perspective. We dropped three of the five without hesitation.

We have a similar issue there with feral cats, no mercy for them either.

It can be a cruel world at times.

Coyotes will kill goats, especially kids, in a heartbeat. Thats why smart ranchers have Great Pyrenees guarding the herds. But what I saw, the field of dead goats, was not predation to eat, that was wanton killing.

I live rural and on our Nextdoor a neighbor rancher that raises and sell miniature donkeys posted that a pair of donkeys were pulled down and killed by dogs, probably belonging to one of the local methbillys. If I drove by and witnessed that there would be some dead dogs. I'll let a strange dog pass by and if it's friendly and I can pet it and read it's tags Ill even call the owner. If it's a free roaming pit it doesn't get a pass. I hate those ghetto fuckers.

I used to feel the same about Pits but mines just a big baby and loves people!

We take her everywhere and I'm never hesitant if someone wants to pet her.

That said I would never let her just run wild as I know she would chase stuff.

I used to feel the same about Pits but mines just a big baby and loves people!

We take her everywhere and I'm never hesitant if someone wants to pet her.

That said I would never let her just run wild as I know she would chase stuff.
    I pet a pitbull mix this afternoon in Home Depot. A kid walked by and he reared up on his hindlegs to lick the kid and the kid clutched his chest and recoiled like some little future transgender pussy.

The owner admonished the dog and I said 'Here, I'll pet you. I like dogs' and reached down and pet him. *Lick slobber lick*

Had 3 kill a calf and try eating the birthing cow alive just before I shot all 3. Lost both calf and cow. The final standing....a pitbull growled and moved towards me after I put down his buddies. Imagine that with a child. That type of roaming dog near my livestock=dead dog and I love dogs. Within reason of course. I'm not lighting up a hound dog or golden retriever. Legally where I live on your property fair game but feral abandoned dogs vs a civilized dog is an easy judgement. Aggression and up to no good is readily evident. I'm not talking beagles, coonhounds and normal house dogs that roll through.
    Agree. These are not Labs, retrievers or other sporting breeds. They are mainly iced with pit Bull or staffordsbire. I

A lot of this is caused by bitches in heat.
    If they aren't kenneled or kepted inside for 21 days they'll run and and attract every horn dog for miles around. Bitches in heat can turn a dogs world upside down. Kinda like humans. Lol

As a kid , I once seen a whole packs of dogs strung out on a hiway probably wiped out by a semi. I was riding with my dad at the time, and I said wow ! He said probably running with a bitch in heat.
    Never forgot that

Even more fun is when you're hiking with your wife and a pack of 3 - 5 (can't remember exactly this was over 25 years ago) try to surround you on the trail.

I lived in a state that had no CC at the time (KS) and was unarmed. Drove them off by grabbing a big stick and acting even more aggressive than they were.

I never went outdoors unarmed after that, license or no license.

So yea, kill every last one of them. And now some of you know why I've said in the past that I will not hesitate to kill an aggressive dog no matter where he finds me or who is he with.

Saw a story of a family that had a nice, friendly family pit. Until it killed thier 1yo child.
    A lot of 'pits' are fucked up breeding. I've had three pit bull terriers. Great dogs. Smarter than a lab.

Reactions: NoDopes
    Donkeys can be great pasture guardians. The problem is that we have working dogs for cattle too, so that is a no-go option.

A good, trained cow dog (ours) doesn't even bother a cow until you give the command. I also have an American Bulldog that is the kids' babysitter up here at the house.

My cows dislike dogs. I’ve seen an entire pastures worth (37-38 cows) go after a single coyote before. I actually had a couple of cows from the pasture from last evening go after a deer that was crossing it about two weeks ago. I know some guys say deer and cattle mix...but not around here they don't.

Five dogs is too much. Several were in the ~75 pound range. I know because I drug them together and stacked them for the buzzards.

Time for some coffee, and then I'll be back to looking for my calves.

• Wow
    Reactions: Jgunner
    Good luck finding your calves. I have neighbors with cows on 3 sides of me, seasonally is 4 sides. Wild dogs come through every once in a while. The packs that chase deer and cows just need to be shot. A lone friendly dog that shows up, we will try to find it a home. People dump their unwanted pets out here in the middle of nowhere. You see them around the brush sometimes. They get skinny and then disappear. Its sad. I love MY dogs. The others need to go.

Warned a guy about dogs chasing deer. He let it continue. Had the farmer with me when we saw them. called him up and left the phone on the dash while I put down his precious daughters pets. I have no sympathy for errant dog owners or their ilk. Hell I'm a cat lover and had to put down about 100 of them one day. Ferals have no place on a farm.

Bruh, that's some mafioso type cold blooded shit. I like your style.

Reminds me of the scene in Casino when they beat Nicky's brother to death with a baseball bat and made Nicky watch.. then they beat Nicky to death too.

I've got one horse that is hell on strange dogs. Riding her ...no problem unless they get around her legs too close and then good bye. In the pasture though on her own she will chase them down and make a mud puddle out of them. I have to warn anybody that brings a dog on the farm not to let it snoop in the pasture. Don't know where she got it from because I raised her from birth. I did have healer that was fast enough to mess with her and not get nicked so maybe it is just pent up frustration at that healer.

from what I heard
    1) Snares work wonders
    2) if you love your pets, keep them home in a pen or tied up.
    3) dog(s) and wolves will kill 20 - 30 sheep and not eat a single one. You'll spend the next hour; shooting the animals that have been hamstringed, gutted, wounded beyond healing. Most people don't understand DNA and years of crossbreeding for your perfect animal can be reduced in minutes.
    4) Never feel bad, see rule #2
    5) dogs love to chase horses through fences (barbed wire will rack up a quick vet bill). Some livestock won't take crap from 1 dog, they don't stand a chance against 2 or more dogs.
    6) dogs and wolves will reduce your calf heard pretty quick. Coyotes have eaten calves as they are coming out of the birth canal. Cow can't do crap; since it's hips are locked up.
    7) coyotes, wolves and dogs love snow with a hard crust. They'll run a healthy deer, sheep, Elk to exhaustion and then kill it. Predator runs on the crust while the said victim breaks through the snow. Sad thing to watch.
    edit
    8) There is NO such thing as an American wolf. ALL current live wolfs IN THE USA lower 48 are an INTRODUCTION of the Canadian Gray wolf. Wolves were hunted to extinction for good cause back in the early 1900's. If you wanted to see how big a f'n timber wolf is, go to Del Norte Colorado, and look at a stuffed one.
    9) Wolves will eat people. Environmentalists will tell you, only 'sick' wolves will eat humans. BS. There are still reports of Russian wedding parties riding out into the woods and never returning home.
    10) if you want to see what large packs of unregulated Predators will do, look at Yellowstone National Park; Use to be a ton of elk. Feds wouldn't let hunters thin the heard. They turned loose wolves; under the pretense that he heard needed to be thinned. You can tell a hunter, you can only shoot 1 elk, you can't tell a wolf, eat only 1 elk a year.

Last edited:
    Why did you miss two?

Nice job, few things can go south quicker than a pack of wild dogs.

A couple "Lessons learned": 😄

1. Trying to hit dogs running from your 7 to 2 o'clock position with an LPVO at 80-120 yards works better at 3x - 4x magnification. When I started at about 60 yards (4x) they were too close, then I found my wheelhouse as they got further.

2. Using anything for support is better than nothing. Unfortunately I had my girls in the SxS so I jumped out and away a few steps before engaging.

3. Big enough difference in lead between day optic and thermal optic that it does make a difference. You can lead a foot or two less during the day. I hunt a lot with a thermal, so had to make a quick correction on the fly.

If it would have been at night with my thermal setup (tripod) I might have gone 4 or 5 for five...but no luck. I got the biggest three. Two of those were in the 70-80lb range. Way too big to be left alone.

I'd share a photo of the big two, but I am a dog lover and don't really think it to be real appropriate to show dead dogs...I'm not the AFT. The third got opened up, and there was just too much mess for a picture.

I took photographs because I want to be able to positively ID for an owner should one come asking.