• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

finally got pics posted results of my ladder tests

1911silverado

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2012
mid-mo
I was finally able to get a link to the pic. First time post but long time lurker. I just did a couple ladder tests with blc-2 and imr 4064. It was a quick and easy way to find what the rifle likes the best. I am shooting a remington 700 sps varmint 26" bbl in a choate tactical stock. I will try and put the pics on here when I figure out how. But just wanted to say thanks for all the great info on this board.
But the best loads ended up .4 moa with an atc of .198. at 100yds. Oh yeah the loads were blc2 45.5-46.0 with hdy 150gr fmj with a col of 2.840.
url]

Re: results of my ladder tests.

Were your cases pretty dirty after you shot them? BL-C(2) is one dirty powder.

No, They never seem any dirtier with blc2 than any other powder in the bolt gun. I usually tumble every time anyway so I have never really concerned myself with "dirty" powder to much. Compared to bullseye in my handgun loads most rifle powder seems pretty clean to me.

I would recommend conducting your ladder test at a farther distance; preferrably 300yds or farther. The farther you shoot them at, the easier it will be to see the accuracy nodes form. At 100yds, it's very hard to differentiate where the actual accuracy node lies in the massive amount of bullet holes. You might also try a wider range in your charge weight. To get the most out of the ladder test, you need to start low and work up high enough that you find the max load for your gun. This will allow you to find multiple accuracy nodes, and will let you choose the velocity range that you would like to load in. Hope this helps.

+1 for trying, but the ladder should imo be done no closer than 300 yards. 400 works great, 500 is much better and anything further yields vastly superior end results but can be tricky with spotting shots.

Thanks for the replies but right now 100 yds is the furthest i can reach at moment. It is a free range so I cant complain about it too much but I figured it should be further.

No point in doing a ladder test at 100 yards. You need at least 300 yards (and preferably more) to yeild results that mean anything.

1911, unfortunately many people are limited to 100yd ranges...so you work with what you've got. You may have much better luck with the OCW test. Search for it here on the forums, and you'll find lots of info on it. It will work well at 100yds.