• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Finally painted the B&C 700 stock for my 243 SPS

groundhogbuster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
Western NC
Here's a before of the rifle in the plain black stock.
2012-08-21214814.jpg

I painted it in GAP camo Krylon, but it had too much FDE, and didn't blend, so I got my cans of Ceracoat out, and... Well at least it blends better.
IMG_2786.jpg

IMG_2785.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

3 coats of ultra flat black, and a splash of ODG, and 4 coats of clear.
Lemme know what ya think

Re: Finally painted the B&C soo stock for my 243 SPS

Thanks, I'm getting to like it a little more, but I still plan on going with a GAP camo before too long.

Lol, thanks, . The swatter's for sale btw,lol, Anything could become a target at my house if it sits there long enough.

Yep, I had an old can, when I was finishing everyones CZ82's back a cpl years ago. The stock was already black, but the BC's have a "sheen" to them. I painted the flat black with ceracoat, and the green with fusion, then cleared it all with 4 or 5 coats of satin clear. I have several guns I painted, and my lil Remmy 597, I did all with Fusion, in a splatter cam with 4 colors, and after 4-5,000 rds it still shows no sign of wear. I painted this stock in Krylon only first, but used FDE last, and it was just too FDE, so I stripped back, and did this. I swear by the fusion stuff on composite stocks, if you leave it alone for several days.

Interesting. How does that clear coat hold up? I would think it would chip or something of the sort.

The satin clear I used by rustoleum I used on another friends 597 paint job felt tacky even after a week, so I restripped it and used fusion for the color and clear, and you would never believe it if you felt and looked at it. It looks like it came that way, and he has over 20k through it,and not off a table or bench, he uses it to squirrel hunt, and it has been through heck. After that I started re-finishing a lot of stocks for people who liked the "splatter look" some camo, some funky greens, purples, and all colors. To this day I haven't saw one that has started to peel, or flake. The fusion stays "flexible" if you will, but doesnt give that "tacky" feel. I also have done a few hsp's for peoples Sendaro's, and VSSF's and they have held up better than a lot of the more expensive paints. I have sprayed several CZ 82's, and Sig's that were sold on AIM surplus, and jgsales.com, with duracoat, and most of them I got back to do over, but then I used "ceracoat" (bake on) from my air brush. But on composite, and even laminate stocks the fusion works great, and when your tired of the scheme, just strip, and change colors. I never have been a fan of duracoat, but that's just me.

So do they offer the camo colors in their fusion line of paints? Or would you think it's fine to use krylon covered by the fusion satin clear?

Yea, Fusion is Krylon's line, and they offer FDE, ODG,Brown, Black. Walmart here used to carry it, but I can't find it at Wallyworld anymore, at least not the camo colors. I been seeing it at Advance Auto Parts, and places like that. Of course your local walmart probably has it. There's a walmart in Erwin Tenn. that sales, everything you need to reload, and the most popular powders too.

Lol, you would have to see it to believe it. Basically "fingerpainting" or as I call it the "flick it" method. One things for sure, no 2 are the same, and I've done a bunch of em.

Re: Finally painted the B&C 700 stock for my 243 SPS

Is it true Dicks Sporting Goods will have this gun for 450 and a 100 dollar rebate for black friday? Anyone heard this?

Re: Finally painted the B&C 700 stock for my 243 SPS

To answer a cpl questions, No this is not the gun that Dicks will be offering, this is an SPS Varmint, has BDL bottom, not the ADL. The next answer is yes, it did help groups, from factory with the tupperware stock it shot 75gr Hornady Match, about 1.4" groups were average, but it never got below moa @ 100. With just the stock, and same ammo it shot .542" average with a best of .372" and worst .780". I did the same I do to all x mark triggers, and have it, along with my 5R at 2.5lbs very clean, not super consistent, but I haven't seen my rcbs scale get over 3lbs yet. My other "factory" 700's have the old Rem trigger, and I can get them to about 1.5lbs.
The BC stock will set you back about $225, but it's a must, if you plan on shooting decent groups. Thanks to member here Niles Coyote, and Dan from OCW it shoots 105 amax into sub 1/2 groups very consistently, with most in the .2's @ 100yds. I have shot a 2.6" group at 600, and shot it at 700, and 1k, but after about 5-600, is where things start getting tricky for me, being an old BR shooter, but I have learned lots on this site, and hope to continue to.