• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes First Rifle Scope

ctrange

Private
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2018
Hi all, this is my first post after my Intro thread. I'm nowhere near in the league most of you folks are as I just have a single 16" .223 AR-15 rifle at the moment.

What I'm looking for is advice for a first scope for an AR-15 to do just plain paper target shooting. Trying to shoot small groups (sub MOA) from the bench for fun.

I only have access to a 100yd range in CT and I don't plan on ever shooting in competitions with this, so I don't need an insane scope. Budget I was thinking of was <$300.

I've spent a bit of time looking all over the net and a searched for bit here on the hide before joining and my thoughts around possible scope choices are:
1) Athlon Midas BTR 2.5-15x50 APLR1 MIL
2) Vortex Optics Crossfire II 4-12x44mm - SFP
3) Primary Arms 4-14X44mm FFP Mil
4) Athlon ARGOS BTR 6-24X50 MIL

I'm so new to this that I have no preference on brand and the above is just where I happened to land in my research. If Leupold or others are the better choice, I'm all ears.

Thanks for reading.

SWFA fixed 10x $299 and tough as a brick.

Or get the Any of those above in FFP with a tree reticle.

All i have to say about any of this is that you have some great choices available these days.

People yap about the “good old days”, but with firearms and scopes, we are living in the best times that have ever been.

Reactions: Bender
Midas btr at cameraland is a great choice for $250 call Doug and get it before it’s gone.

Gents, thanks for all of your recommendations. I really appreciate it!

I'm going to drop Doug a line and discuss as he seems to be very well regarded here.

One nice thing about most scopes, is that they can compensate for not having a 1000 yard range. If you only have a 100 yard range, and want to shoot out to 1500 yards, just simply flip the scope around and dial it up to 15 power. It will seem like the target is 1500 yards away. It's a nice training feature the manufacturers built into rifle scopes. Unfortunately most people don't use this valuable training resource.

If you have a holdover reticle it will also allow you tons of holdovers. Which is nice at 1500 yrds.