• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Flame Off - couldn't be happier

zenbiker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2009
Charlottesville, Virginia
After starting a thread bemoaning the fact that after a year, and in light of rumors floating around, I was likely never going to see my .375 CT Barrelled Action from Lawton Machine.

Imaging my surprise when I got an email from Maureen telling me it was being shipped. I haven't taken it apart to check everything out yet, but to be honest, if the headspace checks out, I'm not going to bother. This is one of the nicest pieces of machinework/gunsmithing I've ever seen:

Action with 40 moa base:

IMGP1751.jpg

Entire barrelled action with 29" fluted barrel:

IMGP1752.jpg

Muzzle thread protector:

IMGP1754.jpg

Threaded muzzle and crown:

IMGP1756.jpg

I was hard on Lawton in my first post, but I have to give credit where its due, they did come through for me, and the result looks stunning. I'm pretty certain it'll shoot better than I"m able to. To Bobby, John, and Maureen, thanks for a beautiful job; I hope the changes you're makine work out, I'm proud to own this piece of your craftsmanship

Kyle, I'll be calling you tomorrow for a folding stock attachment. Come on, Form 1 approval.

Re: Flame Off - couldn't be happier

well i am very glad to hear that i was thinking you would get it back lol and it looks beautiful
laugh.gif

i hope you enjoy it and pls post pics when she is done .

cya:D

I'm glad everything workout out and i hope that it shoots as well as you feel it looks.

But personaly I know for a fact just by looking at a couple of the pics that their are several smiths here that would do a better job in WAY less time and probably for less money.

Again i'm glad your happy with the outcome but i still don't think the service you recieved is anywhere near acceptible

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm glad everything workout out and i hope that it shoots as well as you feel it looks.

But personaly I know for a fact just by looking at a couple of the pics that their are several smiths here that would do a better job in WAY less time and probably for less money.

Again i'm glad your happy with the outcome but i still don't think the service you recieved is anywhere near acceptible </div></div>

Don't get me wrong. It took way too effing long, and the service IMHO was far from acceptable. Hats off to other smiths here, I'll be using them in the future if I don't do it myself, but I'm still counting my blessings that I've got what I've got. The CT uses a big action, and back when I started this project, I had ordered a BAT, but Barney himself was just in the early stages of delivering his 8000 series, and the VIPER was unknown to me. I was about to put lathe to metal when XLR Industries came out with the tube stock for the Lawton action, and I knew that was the way I wanted to go, so I sold the BAT and ordered the Lawton. This was just after Barney had passed on. Just timing that got me in trouble, never dreamed I'd have to wait as long as I did for a barrelled action. But, I got it now. And, I still hope Lawton can pull it together. I'd hate to see them go under.

That does look great, I like the thread protector too, I just ordered mine a few days ago. I hope it is as nice. I might ask tho.....I'm having problems finding stocks that will accept the 1.450 dia. of the recv., do You have any ideas for me to look at. So far it's a manner t-4 if my mind hasn't gone south. thanks
ralph

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But personaly I know for a fact just by looking at a couple of the pics that their are several smiths here that would do a better job...</div></div>

What do you see in the photos that suggests other gunsmiths would do a better job?

thread protector looks a bit rough

Great to see you got it resolved. It is always nice to hear both what a company does right, and wrong.

knowing where you live I have to ask where are you going to shoot it and do you spotter
grin.gif

Congratulations ..... you faired much better than a friend of mine on his deal with Lawton.