• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision FLIR T-50 Initial Set-Up

Eagle with Gobblers

Eagle%20&%20Gobblers.jpg

For those of you that hunt turkeys, those are the Osceola subspecies, the most coveted of the grand slam....

The one with the white head, right? I've yet to bag one of those bad Larry's! My wife did take an eastern last year though with an 11 3/4" beard and 1.5" hooks, at a distance of 7 feet.

I've prolly got 60 or 70 Eastern & Osceola's roosting in the live oaks behind the house...they actually just started strutting their stuff this week too.

Calling for 'yotes tonight and this big loner boar shows up deep in the woods, one shot @ 260 yards through the lungs and DOA:

IMI%20Ammo.jpg

NV%20350lb%20Hog%20ATV.jpg

NV%20350lb%20Hog%20Head.jpg

350lb%20Hog%20ATV.jpg

350lb%20Hog%20Head.jpg

And this weekend we will have 5 FLIR RS scopes to play with!

When I am sniping these big ones out (not just blasting them), with a fragmenting OTM bullet like the Sierra 77 grain MatchKing in those IMI rounds there is not a chance of bone crushing penetration like with a Barnes bullet, so only cure is to slip on into the lungs and blow them both out with the heart, then they only have one breath left, the one they previously took. That takes precise shooting to make a hit like that out 260 yards in the pitch dark.

My SIG 556 and FLIR T-70 with the ACOG TA02 work in excellent harmony together to pull this off over and over again.

The bullet entered about two inches behind the scapula through the rib cage and disintegrated on impact showering the lungs with high speed fragments that tore them all to hell, a little too low would have hit the heart, a little too high would have hit the vertebral column, a little to the right would have hit the diaphragm, a little too left would have smashed his fore-shank. It's all good when you can place a shot precisely in the boiler-room

Of course, having graduated from veterinary school some 35+ years ago, it does help to have an intimate knowledge of swine anatomy too so you can picture in your mind's eye what your carefully placed bullet is going to head into internally so that you can produce a lethal wound and not just take any shot that presents itself. These lage 350+ pound hogs are tough critters and very difficult to bring down as you know.

IMI Sierra 77 grain MatchKing entered adjacent to elbow on the other side of the hog hitting a rib and fragmented into numerous pieces (which fell out when removing the far shoulder here in the photo) the fragments trashed both lungs and heart and embedded into the far inside shoulder:

350lb%20IMI%20Bullet%20Wound.jpg

Entry wound on opposite ribcage behind the elbow was a pencil sized hole.

Sure am glad to have the FLIR T-70's to be able to snipe out a precision shot like this at such long range!

Will be putting the FLIR T-70 and FLIR RS thermal weapon scopes to good use this weekend on hog/dog hunt with FLIR reps...

You going to video it through the thermals for all of us to see?

Indeed, that is the plan to compare videos, photos, impressions through the FLIR GS USSOCOM Mil-Spec hardened T-50, T-60, and T-70 to the new FLIR RS thermal weapon scopes:

RS-32 1.25-5 320X240 19mm
RS-32 2.25-9 320X240 35mm
RS-32 4-16 320X340 60mm
RS-64 1.1-9 640X480 35mm
RS-64 2-16 640X480 60mm

We will be using a couple of SIG 556s, a couple of SIG 716s, and a Noveske 6.8SPC, plus my SIG P-229 .357 SIG handgun with IR laser

Indeed, that is the plan to compare videos, photos, impressions through the FLIR GS USSOCOM Mil-Spec hardened T-50, T-60, and T-70 to the new FLIR RS thermal weapon scopes:

RS-32 1.25-5 320X240 19mm
RS-32 2.25-9 320X240 35mm
RS-32 4-16 320X340 60mm
RS-64 1.1-9 640X480 35mm
RS-64 2-16 640X480 60mm

We will be using a couple of SIG 556s, a couple of SIG 716s, and a Noveske 6.8SPC, plus my SIG P-229 .357 SIG handgun with IR laser

Will definitely be interested in seeing this.

Here is my SIG 716 7.62mm with ELCAN 1.5-6X-42mm with FLIR T-70 Thermal blowing away 8 hogs with ten shots in my backyard at up to 250 yards, found three more dead ones the next morning, lots of ham and bacon from this MagPul GEN III magazine this time around.....

Video is a 33MB WMV file, found a Hornady 150 grain soft point in the far shoulder of the first large sow I shot and recovered the bullet, it is pictured at the end of the video.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/SIG 716 Precision/5 Hogs/5 Hogs.wmv

ENJOY THE KILL!!!

Here is my SIG 716 7.62mm with ELCAN 1.5-6X-42mm with FLIR T-70 Thermal blowing away 8 hogs with ten shots in my backyard at up to 250 yards, found three more dead ones the next morning, lots of ham and bacon from this MagPul GEN III magazine this time around.....

Video is a 33MB WMV file, found a Hornady 150 grain soft point in the far shoulder of the first large sow I shot and recovered the bullet, it is pictured at the end of the video.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/SIG 716 Precision/5 Hogs/5 Hogs.wmv

ENJOY THE KILL!!!

I remember seeing this Vid while at your place. That is simply amazing! WOW! Some of the best hog shooting I have seen to date or just plain shooting in general. Folks this man can REALLY shoot!!

Vic

Three other shooters, all with NV, and NONE of them could see this hog back in the deep brush but me with the FLIR T-70, one headshot put the swine down.

Everyone is standing around asking me how I saw him and how I could possibly shoot him in the head?

FLIR THERMAL BABY!!!

Price%20Prairie%20Boar.jpg

Price%20Prairie%20Boar3.jpg

Price%20Prairie%202.jpg

Last edited:
Is the reticle displayed, the internal T50 reticle or from the Eotech? Would love to see more action pics. Does the T50 have a digital zoom? I think it is a 320x160. I have a FLIR M18 640x320 which is amazing, with a 4x zoom, but it is a handheld unit only.
Here is a crummy pic from my deck on a pitch black night T 1x
[img:left]
d429fb31.jpg
[/img]

I´m sorry to tell that it is not too amazing compared latest units. Here´s 320x240 thermal sight I have:

30cccx3.jpg

Any 320X240 thermal core with a 35mm or 60mm lens system is going to work extremely well out to 250 yards or so....

Had a great hog hunt last night with the SIG 556 FLIR T-70 using IMI NATO 77gr Sierra MatchKings, shot three large boar hogs at various ranges and recovered two nice ones. Sky was clear, temp upper 50's and stars out bright with no moon, just a beautiful night to be out in the swamps hog hunting with the FLIR thermal gear.

This was in a large 1,500 acre flooded pasture with about 6-8 inches of water laying in it, used the FLIR LS-64 and PS-32 for find the loaner boars spread out around the prairie ponds and stalked them out from about 1/2 mile out.

Shot three and recovered two, on made it over a berm embankment and into some thick brush and could not find him.

Will have some video later on of the kills:

Bullet%20Hole.jpg

Hog%20Head%20T70.jpg

T70%20Tusks.jpg

T70%20Tusks2.jpg

"We often see dealers nowadays comparing thermal vids vs. this or that which is REALLY a bad thing to do"

Amen to that.

An NTSC recording really really doesn't do justice to the beauty of what is displayed on a thermal scopes screen. In almost all cases the recorder is capturing a lower quality image of what is really displayed on the eyepiece LCD and then it is even further crapified during compression etc.

Amen to that, on top of it all, the dealers take pre-palanned professional setup videos in a parking lot somewhere under ideal weather conditions and then do not even mention temp, humidity, objective lens size, microbolometer pixel size, etc. and wax eloquently how much more "clarity, resolution, and range their unit has compared to a competitiors" it is a virtual PR picnic and no relation to real life applications except that it is a sham...

Finally got one of my Gemtech Titanium Sandstorm 7.62mm cans after waiting for 10 months and two weeks!

Have three more to wait for....

SIG%20716%20T70%20Can.jpg

It rained 4 inches here today with tornado warnings so just clearing up now, will find out tomorrow....

You will love that, I run the same on my Scar H and 6.8. Two really nice benefits are the recoil reduction, and the ability to hear the bullet impact an animal. The muzzle blast normally masks the bullet impact but with the suppressor you really hear it. The 223 version is really small in comparison and also works great on the AR. I really like the smaller size and weight of the screw on's.

Are you using a can wrap to reduce thermal splooge and protect yourself from getting burned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk?

Loaded up some Sierra MatchKings 220 grain that chrono at 950fps at sea level too, will try them out soon with the piston valve suppressor setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk?

Have not tried the wrap. So far has not been a problem but no thermal on rifle yet. Have a FLIR Ps32 but still waiting on my FLIR RS, should be another week or so, have been using Lazer and night vision. Have a couple of subsonic rifles 357 45 and waiting on a Ruger 77/44. They work great, my wife got 8 out of her deer blind 2 weeks ago, 2 with her bow and the rest with a suppressed rifle. She ran out of ammo and texted me to bring more. They don't hear the impact when crunching corn sometimes and you can start downwind and work your way through them.

My thinking is if I am going subsonic I want to throw a large diameter heavy chunk of lead. Then I don't have to worry about not getting expansion on low velocity rounds. Don't think any of the sub sonics have a great trajectory anyway. The 77/44 is really quiet as much as a 22 maybe as it has a full length barrel suppressor. Have not shot anything except targets with it as it is with class 3 dealer still. A 300 grain 44 caliber chunk of lead should be pretty wicked. I have a rail with a Trijicon RMR for it so maybe can try out the FLIR RS on it. Should be fun for up close Varmints.

Really impressed with the can taming this 7.72mm. First two shots at 200 yards were about three inches high and two inches to the right (crosswind of 15mph).

No muzzle blast and the piston valve #4 suppressor setting threw shells out 15 feet with zero cycling problems, the sound of the bullet was about a .22 Mag and you could hear the impact of the bullet easily. Recoil was markedly reduced as well.

I ordered a suppressor anti-thermal surround shield to keep it from interfering with the FLIRs and keep me from getting burnt:

https://www.riflesonly.com/pro-shop/tactical-gear/tab-sas-suppressor-anti-mirage-shield.html

Shot four two round groups at 200 yards laying prone unsupported after initial adjustment of the ELCAN Specter DR 1.5-6X-42mm, moving a click or two at a time:

tab-sas-suppressor-anti-mirage-shield.html

Final result is two nice bullseyes!

Can%2010%20Rounds%20200%20Yard.jpg

Couple of rough non-professional pics through the ocular lens (through the tube pics) of ELCAN SPECTER DR 1.5-6X-42mm on 6X through the FLIR T-70 during the day at a group of squirrels feeding at 175 yards using the three FLIR T-70 digital magnifications:

DR%206X%20T70%200.5X.jpg

DR%206X%20T70%201X.jpg

DR%206X%20T70%202X.jpg

First two shots at 200 yards were high and right, adjust and closer but still high and right, last two shots BULLSEYE!

One flier was my buddy trying it out with one shot....

I think I am going to sell my FLIR T-50, T-60, two T-70s, M-18, RS-64, LS-64, PS-32 and buy an L3 LTWS.
APRIL FOOLS!!!!

Giant%20Squirrel.jpg

obama_smoking_joint.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, you hear all the subjective opinions all over the place of this and that, but when it comes down to it the focal length of the lens, the lens F stop number, the size of the pixels in the core, and the software algorithms that convert the 14-bit signal to 8-bit pretty much tell the story of how the system will perform.

You never hear anyone post any technical data about any of the other thermal systems out there simply because they don't know....

Those old A-Si units with their constant chopper are an accident waiting to happen.

http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/E...ts/Technical_Notes/uncooled detectors BST.pdf

I don’t need no one’s opinion

On the matter concerning my FLIRs

I live in a swamp in Northern Florida

There were many things I did not possess

I never complained because my father said

“Son, you’ll get your chance before you’re my age.”

Then he took me upstairs and gave me his FLIR

There was happiness all over my face.

He said, “Others may come and others may go,

But that FLIR will be around wherever you go’”

I’ve never been a sloppy hunter

My hogs drop dead with one shot

And the fold in my camo overalls it ain’t straight

Still I know a good thermal when I see one

That’s why I’m packin’ two FLIR T-70s

Sometimes I wonder if I should visit another dealer

And get myself a different night rig

Then I remember what my father said to me

You don’t want to miss a pig.

He said, “Others may come and others may go,

But that FLIR will be around wherever you go….

Have been working on a new mini DVR setup that has a remote recording switch, the unit is always off until you hit the swtich and then it records.

Here is my older unit which works very good with the FLIR T-70s, T-60, T-50, and RS series thermals. it is up and recording in 10 seconds with the press of two buttons:

T70%20DVR.jpg

Here is the new smaller unit with the remote video start switch:

T70%20MDVR.jpg

T70%20MDVR2.jpg

T70%20MDVR3.jpg