• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision FLIR T-50 Initial Set-Up

Awesomeness on the baldies again. I never grow tired seeing these amazing national creatures, especially when feasting! Nice shooting once again, the T-70 is becoming a real work horse.

Vic

As promised, I am finally getting some videos out of the new FLIR T-70 Mil-Spec Thermal Weapon Scope.

You have to manually turn on the NTSC Video output from the FLIR to the mini-DVR in order to save battery life as it chews more juice while recording the thermal video camera output.

It is super easy to turn on using FLIRs JoyStick.

This is recorded on my property in my backyard, there are many very large Live Trees that are hundreds of years old and about 120 feet high, they look like giant Sequoias in the video as I was laying down on the ground to get a good shot on this sounder group. Apparently the hogs are chewing on last years acorns since we have not have a good acorn mast crop this year?

Again, my Arabian horse snorting alerted me to the presence of the hogs, that is two times he turned me on to hogs in two nights!

It was about a 1/4 mile hike out to the hogs, they were shot at a distance of about 125 yards using the FLIR T-70 Thermal.

This is a 50MB WMV file that is about 3.5 minutes long, download it and then watch it.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night Vision/FLIR T70/T70 Three Hogs/T70 Three Hogs.wmv

Happy Veterans Day, hope that it was a good one for all...

Colored%20Eagle.jpg

Okay, here is a pretty good FLIR T-70 Thermal video of one of the largest coyotes I have ever shot, 45 lbs+.

I was using my FoxPro Prairie Blaster with an SP55 external speaker using Female Invitation and Cottontail Distress.

He came in over 300 yards out and I shot him at 225 yards through the heart about 4 minutes later. He took off like a scaled cat and I found him the next day ten feet into the woods where he disappears in the video.

This video pretty much shows that with a T-70 and an ACOG 4X, you can shoot a coyote through the heart at long distance....

Big%20Dead%20Dog.jpg

This is a 67MB WNV file that you should first download to watch off my server:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night Vision/FLIR T70/T70 Videos/Big Coyote/Big Dog Down.wmv

The FLIR T-70 just keeps knocking them dead.

Called in 3 songdogs from out over 350 yards and pulled the trigger once on this one at 275 yards, nice female DRT.

Used the ACOG 4X and the T-70 on 1.0X, high humidity and temps around 55 F. made this an easy shot.

T70%20Female%20275%20Yards.jpg

Got a nice thermal video of the entire scene so will work on editing that up for a nice kill video.....

LOL -> No sooner do I get finished rendering the thermal kill video that I walk out the back door to go pick up my rifle and I see another coyote, one shot at 225 yards, DRT.

Double Smack Down tonight, think I might get some.....

Double%20A.jpg

Double%20B.jpg

Did you get a chance to scope out the thermal coyote videos?

All one shot kills at distances up with 275 yards with my SIG 556 and 16" barrel.

The FLIR T-70 is a very nice instrument and super simple to use.
Yes I did!! I can't wait to get my T70.

The thermal image produced by the T-70 is similar to that of the FLIR LS-64, but better.

The T-70 has some different software algorithms than the LS-64 does to manipulate the microbolometer, one is called Direct Digital Enhancement and the other is pure linear temperature modulation.

The DDE seems to work best in difficult situations like after it has rained or fogged out as it brings greater depth and contrast into the thermal image, linear works super good under ideal conditions after dark when it is cold out and a high pressure area without fog.

I just got my T70 and it really is a a nice upgrade from any other thermal I have.

SkyPup, I see you use an LS64 for some of your spotting. Does your LS64 click on and off frequently (quickly every 10-20 seconds)? I haven't really been super impressed with mine because of this. honestly I prefer scouting with my PAS13C over the LS64 (yes yes I know the resolution is just supposed to be so much better on the LS64). Luckily the T70 is easily removed for scouting!:)

It depends on the temperature and humidity of the ambient environment as to when the LS-64 does an array correction (NUC), mine pretty much does it right away after you start scanning and them again whenever there is a change in the thermal environment you are scanning. Once it has done it randomly a couple of times, mine pretty much stays set and does not do it anymore. It certainly does not do it frequently like 10-20 seconds? I have had mine for almost a year now and it pretty much is in use constantly, I like it allot as it has helped me increase my kills by about 1,000%. If I were to leave on a hunt without it, everyone would be super pissed, including me.....

Thom,

It shoots absolutely amazingly. I absolutely own the night. Anything about to about 300 yards is coming home to my freezer if I want it. Nothing escapes the T70. Nothing. (as you well know)

TestnDoc,

Thanks!

Have been after this big boar hog for the last two months, he's been leaving ATV sized holes rooted up in my yard and I wanted to take him out. He is a loner and I spied him off and on, including one time at night when I had my 556 with the FLIR T-70 on it but declined to try to take him out due to his thick shield and my tiny 5.56mm, had been carrying the 7.62mm just for him but never did we both meet up at the right time.

Finally, last night while I was calling for coyotes he shows up a little before midnight with a couple of deer and I decided to try to take him out. First shot was into the lungs right behind his elbow, second shot was pretty much into the arse, and third shot was again into his ribcage, fourth and fifth shots may not have connected. However, I spent an hour trying to find him with the FLIR LS-64 with no luck and then another hour this afternoon with no luck, so he is buzzard bait by now. This dude has shown up on the game cam and I have seen him personally a half dozen time, easy 375-400 pounds, maybe I'll find his skull and tusks later on this fall while hiking around in the woods.

The FLIR T-70 did its job, but this size boar is just a beech to take down with a 5.56.....

11MB WMV file....

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night Vision/FLIR T70/Giant Boar Hog/Giant Boar Hog.wmv

Very cool story and great footage! That really sucks the he got away - that would have been a lot of bacon!!!

7.62 FTW!

Thom,

It shoots absolutely amazingly. I absolutely own the night. Anything about to about 300 yards is coming home to my freezer if I want it. Nothing escapes the T70. Nothing. (as you well know)

TestnDoc,

Thanks!
Is that a 1-6 or 3-18 scope? What magnifications are usable with the T70??

TestnDoc,

It's the 3-18. With the clip-on's it's best (generally speaking) to set it to the lowest magnification possible. The clip-on has a built-in magnification ability that you can toggle between. As Thom has pointed out here - FLIR put together a REALLY slick interface on the T70 that is SUPER easy to use and quite intuitive.

TestnDoc,

It's the 3-18. With the clip-on's it's best (generally speaking) to set it to the lowest magnification possible. The clip-on has a built-in magnification ability that you can toggle between. As Thom has pointed out here - FLIR put together a REALLY slick interface on the T70 that is SUPER easy to use and quite intuitive.

Thanks for the info. Some people have stated that the T70 can be used up to 8x, with mild to moderate pixilation. I was just curious as to your experience with that. I realize the T70 is optimized for ACOG at 4x.

TestnDoc,

Sounds like you've done your research!

It's definitely designed to work most efficiently at 3-4X as you have noted. Maxing out the T70's internal magnifier can and will definitely pixilate (but it sure is nice to have that as an option if you want to max it out for that uber long range heat signature shot).

With the 4X ACOG TA02 LED it is an absolute perfect combination, I have also used it with and Eotech and 3X magnifier and that is nice too, as well as my Leopold Pig Plex VX-R 1-4X scope, all will work good.

The ACOG with the battery illuminated crosshairs (not the chevron) works just awesome for precise shots out to 300 yards.

RAIN%201X.jpg

I also have used it with my two Elcan Specter DR 1.25-6X-42mm on my 7.62mms and that is the max that the T-70 will work great with, I would not use anything over 6X and preferably 4X.

Sig%20716%20T70.jpg

No sooner do I shoot that big boar the other night and another one shows up an hour after I left for work this AM, looks like I've got my work cut out for Thanksgiving weekend hunting this nice boar down...

Big%20Hog%20Game%20Cam.jpg

DAYUM! Now that's bringin home the bacon!! I want a full report T!!!!!!!! (get that 7.62 out and throw rocks at that 5.56!! :) )

My buddy sez -> Damn, you let all that sausage get away using that tiny 556 when you've got two nice 7.62mms...???

The 7.62s are loaded with Barnes 130 grain TSX handloads, the FLIR Thermals should get a workout this weekend for sure!!!

I thought that pigs were intelligent and have great olfaction.

You'd think they would smell all the dead pigs and offal in SkyPup's shooting gallery and steer clear. Apparently not

Have been after this big boar hog for the last two months, he's been leaving ATV sized holes rooted up in my yard and I wanted to take him out. He is a loner and I spied him off and on, including one time at night when I had my 556 with the FLIR T-70 on it but declined to try to take him out due to his thick shield and my tiny 5.56mm, had been carrying the 7.62mm just for him but never did we both meet up at the right time.

Finally, last night while I was calling for coyotes he shows up a little before midnight with a couple of deer and I decided to try to take him out. First shot was into the lungs right behind his elbow, second shot was pretty much into the arse, and third shot was again into his ribcage, fourth and fifth shots may not have connected. However, I spent an hour trying to find him with the FLIR LS-64 with no luck and then another hour this afternoon with no luck, so he is buzzard bait by now. This dude has shown up on the game cam and I have seen him personally a half dozen time, easy 375-400 pounds, maybe I'll find his skull and tusks later on this fall while hiking around in the woods.

The FLIR T-70 did its job, but this size boar is just a beech to take down with a 5.56.....

11MB WMV file....

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night Vision/FLIR T70/Giant Boar Hog/Giant Boar Hog.wmv

What is all the video noise coming from in the horizontal lines? Does the FLIR show that when viewed directly? Is it an artifact from the DVR? It doesn't look like video compression artifacting.

What is all the video noise coming from in the horizontal lines? Does the FLIR show that when viewed directly? Is it an artifact from the DVR? It doesn't look like video compression artifacting.

Does not show that directly, it is the video compression. The FLIR T-70 direct video output 45MB AVI file does not have that, it is a result of the WMV file compression down to 11MB.

Last edited:
SkyPup. In your opinion, which of the following packages would serve me best? I'll be talking to the good folks at TNVC (from whom I will buy when the time comes) as well, so if you want to chime in, Vic, that would be great. In fact, all informed opinion is welcome, because I am still woefully unsure of what direction I want to go.

Priorities are - in order:

Ease of use with several AR-15's (6.5G w/NF 3.5-15x50 NXS, 6.5G w/4X ACOG TA02, 5.56 w/SWFA SS HD 1-6x24.)
Good nighttime 'walkabout' capability.
500-yard PID and typical max 300-yard shots, w/possible shots out to 500 yards.

Package 1.
PVS-14 w/Pinnacle Thin-Tube, i.e. Night Enforcer. (Helmet-mount.)
PVS-22

Package 2.
PVS-14 w/Pinnacle Thin-Tube. (Helmet-mount.)
FLIR T50

Package 3.
FLIR T75

Package 4.
Something else with approx. $15K budget? I'm looking at the L-3 Insight LWTS as well. That would substitute for the T50, I'm guessing. It does have the bigger 480 horizontal lines sensor compared to the T50.

I really like the idea of 'hands-free', good FOV NV for navigating the darkness. Handheld doesn't appeal to me as much, although I have to admit that I'm unsure how a helmet-mount PVS-14 would work with my prescription glasses. I can't really see myself only using a monocular - it seems to me like a clip-on is a much better solution for use with a day optic. Is the FLIR a better choice than the PVS-22 for weapon-mount use out to medium ranges, like 500 yards? Honestly, I don't see myself taking shots at that yardage, although the Grendel is certainly capable of doing damage that far out. Are 500 yard kill shots a reality with a T50 and the TA02? I know 300 yards are GTG (I've watched your videos enough to believe that.) What would you prefer, the PVS-22 or the T50 for shooting at those ranges?

Thanks a lot. I'm probably going to buy within a couple of months, and I plan to be a pest, gathering as much input as possible from informed users like you guys.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Does not show that directly, it is the video compression. The FLIR T-70 direct video output 45MB AVI file does not have that, it is a result of the WMV file compression down to 11MB.

I figured as much, but had to ask...

For all around workhorse guaranteed kills all the time out to 250 yards, I would go with the FLIR T-50 and a helmet mounted PVS-14 (I have prescription lenses myself and not a problem with the helmet mount).

You need the helmet mount PVS-14 for getting around and situational awareness, especially in environments that you are unfamiliar with.

That said, I normally use a small flashlight to get around here on my property, a FLIR LS-64 to spot things with, and the T-50 for taking the shot. When I am somewhere I don't know, I wear the PVS-14 on a Team Wendy EXFIL helmet with Nortoros INVG mount in addition.

I like the T-50, is is a solid workhorse and very rarely do I have any opportunity to shoot more than 200 yards. That said, the T-70 is certainly a setup from that, however both are limited to about a 4X for good resolution and 6X for max, you can also use the internal reticules on them and their digital magnification as well, so really don't suggest anything over about 4X as the ACOG or ELCAN is plenty with the digital magnification. The FOV on both of these is ideal.

For accurate 500 yard shots, you will need the T-75, but then you most likely will be limited on closer in ranges by limited FOV.

For all around workhorse guaranteed kills all the time out to 250 yards, I would go with the FLIR T-50 and a helmet mounted PVS-14 (I have prescription lenses myself and not a problem with the helmet mount).

You need the helmet mount PVS-14 for getting around and situational awareness, especially in environments that you are unfamiliar with.

That said, I normally use a small flashlight to get around here on my property, a FLIR LS-64 to spot things with, and the T-50 for taking the shot. When I am somewhere I don't know, I wear the PVS-14 on a Team Wendy EXFIL helmet with Nortoros INVG mount in addition.

I like the T-50, is is a solid workhorse and very rarely do I have any opportunity to shoot more than 200 yards. That said, the T-70 is certainly a setup from that, however both are limited to about a 4X for good resolution and 6X for max, you can also use the internal reticules on them and their digital magnification as well, so really don't suggest anything over about 4X as the ACOG or ELCAN is plenty with the digital magnification. The FOV on both of these is ideal.

For accurate 500 yard shots, you will need the T-75, but then you most likely will be limited on closer in ranges by limited FOV.

Thank you, Sir.

A few questions, if you don't mind, SkyPup.

In view of your great reviews of both the T50 and the T70, what performance, features, or mission necessity warrants the $4k step up to the T70?

Do you have any idea why the pigs have not wised up to your shooting gallery? Or is that field not the shooting gallery, but merely the morgue?

A few questions, if you don't mind, SkyPup.

In view of your great reviews of both the T50 and the T70, what performance, features, or mission necessity warrants the $4k step up to the T70?

Do you have any idea why the pigs have not wised up to your shooting gallery? Or is that field not the shooting gallery, but merely the morgue?

That is a tough question, Nukes, I have been using my T-50 for two years now, it is a mil-spec contract unit that FLIR/Truijicon designed in 2010, it has the 320X240 25 micron microbolometer but a nice 60mm germanium lens. The housing is made out of magnesium and clears a LDI DBAL type laser on the top front rail. It also has display adjustments and digital1X, 2X, and 4X as well as internal reticules. It is very ergonomic and versatile and easy to use.

For killing hogs or coyotes out to 200 yards, you can do about the same with either the T-50 or T-70 using either a 4X ACOG or Elcan, both get pixelated over 4X but not that bad using a 6X ELCAN.

I have only used the T-70 for about a month, I like it allot too, it is short, lightweight, extremely ergonomic and simple to use. It is also a mil-spec contract unit designed in 2013 with the newer 640X512 17 micron core and it also has the color pallets, 0.5X, 1.0X, and 2.0X internal magnification, and internal ballistic reticules for 556 and 762. It has got to be the simplest thermal unit to use and has a 35mm lens. It shares the same core and lens and performs similar to the LS-64 handheld scanner but is better due to different software.

I really wish that FLIR had not killed their T-65 project due to lack of the newer cores, the T-50 with the T-70 core would have been an awesome unit with the 60mm lens, I got to check one out at last years Shot Show and it was what I wanted. A 640 core with a 60mm lens would be the best of all worlds for longer range ID and shooting as well as good FOV.

I cannot give the T-50 a bad recommendation as I have never had a problem with mine and it has seen lots of hardcore use and abuse, it is a workhorse.

The T-70 is a Cadillac compared to the T-50, but like I said, there is not much real difference out to 200 yards as far as the kill goes between the two, past that the T-70 is good out to 300 yards, which beats the T-50 in range.

The hogs are cannibals and do not mind munching on their dead, the big ones are more carnivorous than the younger ones, and they keep on coming back constantly no matter what I do.

This is one of my skull piles in front of my shooting log in the backyard full of skulls from the kills all in the same place:

Skull%20Pile.jpg

Much appreciated on all counts, SkyPup. Fascinating that the pigs just don't "get the memo."

As I digest all the thermal info, it starts making sense (cents?) to sacrifice that extra 100yds of T70 range to have a $4k stack o' batteries.

I have to chuckle that I have gone 'round and 'round on the "best" solution. The vicious circle goes like this—fusion imaging is the best of everything technological… but the thermal clip-on for Image Intensifiers is not recoil rated for anything… so… T70 offers the best resolution, range, weight, and profile…. but uses a stack o' batteries…. so…. offset the battery cost with the lower priced T50…. but the T50 is still more expensive that the thermal clip-on for fusion… so…. the circle continues… and there is that Raytheon W1000 and its 9V batteries...

It is time to break out of the circular ruminations and lay hands on these goodies at the SAR Show.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what, if all I had was the T-50, I would be super happy with that and have been for the last two years, it has totally allowed me to seriously nail some hogs and coyotes.

The T-70 is more upscale and designed to a proverbial "T".

Cannot fault either one, both get the job done when otherwise my NV gear would be lacking.

Once you have it, it changes everything.......so that would be a primary motivational factor to consider, if you have a hog or coyote problem on your property and it is legal to night hunt them, then you really cannot get any better than that.

When you flip that kind of coin for a system you plan on utilizing constantly for the next ten plus years, as far as I am concerned, FLIR is the only way to go....excellent equipment and outstanding customer service!

We got a 350 pound black hog down @ 225 yards with the SIG 716 7.62mm, Elcan Specter DR 1.25-6X-42mm, and FLIR Thermal....

SIG%20716%20350%20lbs.jpg

SIG%20716%20Head.jpg

Lucky you skypup. I just want to come down and hang out for a weekend.. Looks like you have all the fun. Always wanted to shoot a hog but around here I'll have to make do with the cold, and coyotes and borrowed NV.

Just working on setting up a SIG 716 Precision with NATO 18" Match heavy barrel & 1:10" twist and full monolithic rail.

Has Gieselle SSA trigger and Battle Arms ambi safety and Troy Claymore muzzlebrake.

Using an Ernest Leitz Canada 1.5-6X-42 night vision compatible scope on it.

Going to put a Gemtech Sandstorm can on it and a FLIR Thermal Weapon Sight.

SIG%20716%20Precision%20Side.jpg

SIG%20716%20Precision%20Front.jpg

SIG%20716%20Precision%20Elcan%20View.jpg

Skypup, Im up for adoption, just sayin....
If I seem like a perfect fit for your family, keep in mind you will need space for my wife and kids as well.

Recent sight in....Some local dairy farm Yotes about to check out when I get back in a few weeks!
anim_sniper2.gif

It was a cool day so the hand warmers on the back of the target with a hole punched through worked extremely well with the T70

20131203_160432_resized_zps71df17a5.jpg

20131203_160405_resized_zps92caf0bd.jpg

Last edited:
SIG 716 18" barrel with 1:10" twist 7.62mm 150gr SP with Elcan 1.5-6X-42mm with FLIR T-70 Thermal takes out a nice songdog at 225 yards tonight.

Bullet entered right under the barrel and blew off the entire other side of the dog.

Video is short and sweet.....

Called the pack in with FoxPro Prairie Blaster on Female Howl for a minute and then a minute of Female Invitation.

SIG%20716P%20225%20Yards.jpg

24MB WMV Video download here:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/SIG 716 Precision/225 Yard Coyote/SIG 716P 225 Yard Coyote.wmv

FLIR T-70 took down five hogs in the backyard last night. Then while I was picking them up the sow charged me in the dark and shot her three times with my Browning Hi-Power 9mm, she got away and will go look for her this morning. It was total carnage, like shooting ducks in a bathtub with the FLIR and the SIG 716....

If you have a hog or a coyote problem, FLIR will simply take care of it for you!

5%20Hogs%20Grapple.jpg

SIG%20716%205%20Hogs.jpg

Bullet.jpg

Here is a 35MB WMV file of the thermal shootout out to 225 yards:

http://www.phossil.com/thom/SIG 716 Precision/5 Hogs/5 Hogs.wmv

That big sow that charged me got a face full of lead instead, will go out and try to find her this morning, also one other shoat got away into the tall grass of the pond where there are two eight foot gators, so maybe the gators will enjoy some bacon today.

That SIG 716 Precision with the Elcan 1.5-6X-42mm scope runs perfect with the FLIR T-70.