• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision FLIR T-50 Initial Set-Up

Re: FLIR T-50 Initial Set-Up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ron1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Poor little doggie didn't have a chance with your new weapon.
Ron g </div></div>

You got that <span style="font-weight: bold">RIGHT</span>!
grin.gif

FLIR%20T50%20716%20Front.jpg

FLIR keeps taking 'em down!
grin.gif

Dead%20Boar.jpg

Dave%20Hog.jpg

Boar.jpg

My friend's brother was down visiting from Illinois, he is a big dude, 6'4" 295 lbs. He had never gone night hog hunting before so we took him out. Walked about two miles and saw a sounder group but they jumped into some thick palmetto scrub and escaped. On the way back to the truck I saw this nice tusker with the FLIR PS-32 deep in the woods about 200 feet off the trail we were on. I gave my SIG 556 to my friend's brother and told him to put the crosshairs on his neck and double tap him with two Barnes 70 grain TSXs. He did the job and got his first boar hog!

Those hogs don't even have a chance with your thermal,next time try a bow and arrow to make it more even!!!! Hahaha
Hope you had a nice Xmas
Ron g

I contacted the nice folks at FLIR Government Systems to inquire about making me a custom FLIR T-50 video cable that is one foot long instead of the OEM three foot long one that came with the instrument.

They are very helpful and happy to provide me with a custom one foot cable so that I can mount my DVR on some velcro on the rail right in front of the instrument for quick easy access to using the DVR when I am targeting hogs and coyotes in the woods. This will not interfere with the use of the unit as the DVR lays flat on the rail below the germanium lens.

The three foot long cable has some tiny obscure mil-spec video connectors on it that are unavailable commercially and it is a PITA to use in the woods.

This will be a nice improvement and allow the use of video recording while out on hunts.

Hi skypup
I have ordered the ps-32 FLIR system,can't wait to play with it soon,we be fun to see thermal images of night life.
Ron

I was at the FLIR Government Systems booth at the Shot Show today and they have the new FLIR T-65 with the 640X480 microbolometer in the same external frame as the original T-50, it is virtually a T-50 with much improved resolution, not much else changed with the unit during the upgrade.

The FLIR T-70 is also there to try out and it too has the 640X480 resolution and is good out to 700-800 yards.

Both of these units are so good, that when I used them to identify people, you could easily tell the difference between male and female.

I did get my hands on a hog rippin' Dillon Min-Gun at the Shot Show, now if I could only afford the ammo.....
cry.gif

Me%20&%20Dillon.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FLIR T-70 Thermal Weapon Sight:

http://vimeo.com/57558396 </div></div>

That is wicked!!! I have got to get one of those!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TestnDoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FLIR T-70 Thermal Weapon Sight:

That is wicked!!! I have got to get one of those!! </div></div>

The T70 will be available at the end of Q2 and the T65 will be available at the beginning of Q3....
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TestnDoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FLIR T-70 Thermal Weapon Sight:

That is wicked!!! I have got to get one of those!! </div></div>

The T70 will be available at the end of Q2 and the T65 will be available at the beginning of Q3....
grin.gif
</div></div>

Interesting. I was told the T65 would be out in a month and the T70 would be .mil or .leo only?? Did you hear that from FLIR?

WiseGuy from FLIR Government Systems sent me this very nice autographed FLIR cap with a LED lighted visor and a great 2013 Calendar.

Thanks a bunch to the good folks @ FLIR, as I will be looking to acquire a FLIR T-65 later on this year when they are released.

It was great meeting you guys at the SHOT SHOW 2013 in Vegas, hope you did NOT get the flu there....

FLIR%20Hat.jpg

Wow
The t-70 is so sweet,I bet it cost a arm and leg to purchase,it looks a lot smaller than the older models.
Ron

It was a difficult night for the thermal tonight, rained earlier and everything was a mono-temperature lightly grayed out. Was able to deploy the FLIR LS-64 up to #4 InstaAlert Red which usually I cannot use, but with the wetness and high winds it worked excellent, lighting up only coons, rabbits, deer and this nice male bobcat that I took out # 175 yards with one shot of handloaded 7.62mm Barnes 130 grain TSX.

Bobcat2.jpg

Bobcat3.jpg

Bobcat4.jpg

No NV, just pure FLIR Thermal...
grin.gif

BTW, I was about 5 minutes into Tony Tebbe's CowTip Cottontail on my FoxPro Prairie Blaster when the cat showed up!

We went out on the prairie right before dark this afternoon to work on some gate fencing and feeder placement, I arrived a little earlier than my friend did did so I took a walk out into the woods alone. Within 100 yards I came up on this big sow feeding with a dozen or so piglets about 150 feet in front of me so I shot her with the SIG 716 7.62mm and she took off. I walked around into the deep woods looking for her and couldn't find her in the terrible vines and brambles so decided to walk back out and see if my buddy had showed up yet. As I was leaving the woods he just pulled up and I told him I nailed a sow but she is in the thick underbrush.

He and I went in looking for her and when we got to the spot where I had shot her we saw about six piglets, so we shot two of them and went looking for the sow some more. We split up and circled around the thickets and could not see the sow anywhere? Dom heard some rustling in the leaves about 75 yards from where we were standing so we stalked carefully over towards the noise. Suddenly the noise is coming towards us in the very thick underbrush where we could only see 30 feet in any direction and out pops about 6 more piglets, so we shot three more of them and low and behold we find they were sucking the teats of the dead sow I had shot an hour earlier!!! We find the dead sow right there!!!

What a day!!! It was windy and freezing and cold as hell and we headed back home after dark.

Sounder1.jpg

Sounder2.jpg

Sounder3.jpg

We have been after this huge trophy quality Russian razorback black boar with a killer set of tusks on him that we have seen on the game cam the last two weeks.

We will be hunting this dude intensely over the next few weeks at night until we bring him down. This guy would make a real nice mount.....

Hog offal provides breakfast for mature male bald eagle last night.....couple of buzzards in the foreground but those are all Osceola Wild Turkeys in the background!!!!
laugh.gif

Eagle.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkyPup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hog offal provides breakfast for mature male bald eagle last night.....couple of buzzards in the foreground but those are all Osceola Wild Turkeys in the background!!!!
laugh.gif

Eagle.jpg
</div></div>

Darn wild animal park you have there! Geez Skypup!
cool.gif

Vic

What are you going to do with all that meat,can the extra be given to those in need!!! That's a ton of hogs
Ron

Ron, we dressed out the four large sows and one boar and tossed the rest of them in a pile for the coyotes and buzzards. This is to add to the six we dressed out last weekend.

Can you say, "Holy Pork Loins Batman?"

Knives1.jpg

Got another hog last night with the T-50 and LS-64 and the Bald Eagles showed up first thing in the morning for some tactical bacon leftovers...

Eagle%20Cllose%20Up.jpg

We walked out into the deep swamps on about a two mile hike to two of our feeders and hung out for around two hours listening to hogs rooting and sparring in the deep swamp thickets and ponds all around us but never had any come out in the open.

It was a beautiful clear sky night with stars shining brightly all the way down to the horizon with the PVS-14s working great under the quarter moon.

We hiked back to the truck about 2AM and loaded up to drive home.

Went through two locked gates on the way out and at the last gate I had my PVS-14 still on as I locked the gates and noticed two dark contrast objects in the jeep trail right up in front of us.

Took out the FLIR PS-64 thermal and thought that they were just large surface limerocks around 100 yards out as they were hot but not moving around, but looking at them with the NVO, one of them had an outline of a hog?

Looking more closely, I could see one hog standing sideways and another standing with its rear to us with the LS-64 thermal scanner.

We had been shutting the gates, slamming truck doors, talking, and the motor was running and there was not sign these hogs were even moving with all the noise and commotion over a five minute period of time?

Mounted the SIG 716 with Barnes 130 grain TSX handloads and put the ACOG TA02 crosshairs on the neck of one and pulled the trigger, he dropped dead and the other one took off, put the crosshairs on his head and shot, he drops with a round through his neck that split his spine in half.

No meat damage at all, both hogs were head shot and the 7.62mm did an immediate kill on both of them.

SIG%20716%20Two%20Hogs.jpg

Full%20Hog%20Hanging.jpg

Clean%20Hog%20Hanging.jpg

FLIR Thermal and Barnes 70 grain TSX puts down another boar tonight, one shot DOA @ 125 yards:

T60%20Boar.jpg

Eagles are well fed around our house!

Was out tonight and was able to blast these three hogs @ 125 yards using the FLIR Thermal, it was raining like hell and they were in some tall grass but they stood out like a sore thumb in the FLIR.

3%20Wet%20Hogs.jpg

Loaded them up to drag them back to the truck and no sooner did I get them loaded that another sounder group showed up and took down two more, for a total of five.

Totally soaked through and through but we had a damn great time tonight! FLIR Thermals work great in a heavy downpour!

Thermal actually works very well at night in the pouring rain....when virtually nothing else works very well. [:)]

Rain%20Hog.jpg

Word to all wild hogs:

Restisance is Futile.....

Last edited:
Very nice Skypup. Any new news on the T70??

Here is the info I received from FLIR Government Systems this morning:

"We are now able to start taking orders for the T70. The lead time is 120 days. The T65 should come out in fourth quarter of this year just in time for Christmas gifts!"

Thermal & Barnes 70 gr TSX bite a small shoat @ 100 yards,entered one shoulder pencil sized hole and blew the far shoulder off:

Small%20Shoat.jpg

Was out in the backyard tonight in the rain dialing in my LASTAC-2 IR laser on my Ruger 10-22 bull barrel when I picked up three thermal signatures on my FLIR LS-64 about 275 yard out behind my barn. Went in and picked up my SIG 716 with handloaded 7.62mmX51mm Barnes 130 grain TSX and the FLIR T-50 and went out to see if I could put a hurting on some swine.

Three nice boars were rooting deep in a pond surrounded by tall grass, so i put the ACOG crosshairs on the head of one, pulled the trigger @ 175 meters and he immediately disappears, no thermal signature or anything????

Watched the other two high tail it up out of the water through the grass and start running off towards the pine forest canopy, put the crosshairs on the shoulder of one dude @ 225 meters and took the shot and he drops in his tracks and does not even move or squeal.

Rode the 4-Wheeler out to to furthest one and he was DOA with his spinal cord severed in front of the shoulder, looked into the pond area to see the other one with the FLIR LS-64 and nothing????

Drove the 4-Wheeler down into the bottomless muck and could not see anything and finally I see an ear sticking up out of the water! Wrapped a 50 foot 1/2" rope around his head buried in the water and thick mud and dragged him up to the other one. He was shot through the ear and died immediately too.

Dressed the two nice boars out and only lost about two pounds of meat between the two of the, about 350-400 pounds of pork, real nice loins too....

First%20T-50.jpg

T50%20Double.jpg

Grapple.jpg

Exit%20Wound.jpg

The Bald Eagles are having a field day on the swine offal, there are five of them on it this morning....

Eagle.jpg