• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

FN SPR A3G - Accuracy and reloading

QuietShootr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2003
Looking for opinions and guidance here...

Glad I sprung for the CDI DBM and Alpha T2s. With both the 175SMK and 178 AMAX, COAL to the lands is 2.900". I've pretty well established that the standard max COAL of 2.800" is not workable (nothing I've fired in it likes a 0.100" jump, apparently. I'm a little curious how it shot half-MOA to get out of the factory this way.)

So far, my best load at 200 is the 178gr AMAX moly-coated over 43.0 of RL-15 in LC LR brass, Fed 210M, and seated to 2.885". It gave me a 5-shot 1.503" group at 200 yesterday. Fair, but not half-minute. The gun seems to like the AMAX a little better than the 175SMK, interestingly. The best group I was able to get with the SMK yesterday was 1.799" with all other factors being the same.

I don't want to spend my spring chasing inconsequential increments, but I would like to get that half-minute load before I start competing and training seriously. (and it isn't my shooting - I have a friend with a 6mmBR that I periodically shoot at distance to make sure I'm not screwing up, and it will practically stack the rounds at 300.) Anyone have suggestions as to what to try?

Factory 168gr FGMM, which I understand is what this gun is tested with, is over 1 MOA at all ranges.

Re: FN SPR A3G - Accuracy and reloading

I'd post this over in the reloading forum.

My FN is crying for the CDI bottom metal, the FN mags are awful.

I have no load info for you. I know my GAP outshoots the FN with every load I've tried.

Waiting on any info for this. I am looking to get one of these in the next week.

How did the gun shoot before installation of the CDI bottom metal? I'd check all the normal things before I went any further. The rifle should absolutely shoot well under MOA with FGMM.

Mine will shoot well under MOA with 168 FGMM and SWA 175s with Lapua brass. Threads on these rifles indicate it is the rare gun that doesn't shoot well.

PM "Action Guy". He works with FN and is a great source on anything SPR.

Let us know how this resolves itself.

Have you adjusted the torque on the action screws to see if that would make any change?

Your post is a little confusing. Did you install a CDI bottom metal in place of the original A3G hinged floor plate? If so, then you removed a huge portion of your bedding area. You did not mention re-bedding the rifle????

The A3G shoots awesome. How did yours shoot before you installed the CDI?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quarter Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did the gun shoot before installation of the CDI bottom metal? I'd check all the normal things before I went any further. The rifle should absolutely shoot well under MOA with FGMM.

Mine will shoot well under MOA with 168 FGMM and SWA 175s with Lapua brass. Threads on these rifles indicate it is the rare gun that doesn't shoot well.

PM "Action Guy". He works with FN and is a great source on anything SPR.

Let us know how this resolves itself. </div></div>

No changes since the CDI install. It wasn't sub-MOA before unless the rounds were loaded to 2.885".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your post is a little confusing. Did you install a CDI bottom metal in place of the original A3G hinged floor plate? If so, then you removed a huge portion of your bedding area. You did not mention re-bedding the rifle????

The A3G shoots awesome. How did yours shoot before you installed the CDI? </div></div>

The bottom metal was not bedded from the factory, and the factory GAP bedding has not been touched. It shot the same as it does now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you adjusted the torque on the action screws to see if that would make any change? </div></div>

Negative, I just torqued them to 65 in-# per the factory record book.

wow just reread the whole post. I'd be considering sending it back to FN. I'm not sure what in spec would be but i wouldn't be happy with it shooting like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow just reread the whole post. I'd be considering sending it back to FN. I'm not sure what in spec would be but i wouldn't be happy with it shooting like that.
</div></div>

Apparently it's already been back there once last August, per the previous owner. I probably goatfucked the guarantee having the CDI DBM installed, but it wasn't shooting right with standard OAL rounds before...that's why I got the long magazines. I called FN Service and sat on hold for 30 minutes and didn't get anything other than a vague, "Yeah...um...send it to us and we'll take a look at it." after I explained that the COAL to the lands was 2.900", and I thought that was excessive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow just reread the whole post. I'd be considering sending it back to FN. I'm not sure what in spec would be but i wouldn't be happy with it shooting like that.
</div></div>

Apparently it's already been back there once last August, per the previous owner. I probably goatfucked the guarantee having the CDI DBM installed, but it wasn't shooting right with standard OAL rounds before...that's why I got the long magazines. I called FN Service and sat on hold for 30 minutes and didn't get anything other than a vague, "Yeah...um...send it to us and we'll take a look at it." </div></div>

rock creek barrel and f**k all else! Get a 1: 11.25 twist and you'll be much happier. That's exactly what I'm doing with my last fn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wow just reread the whole post. I'd be considering sending it back to FN. I'm not sure what in spec would be but i wouldn't be happy with it shooting like that.
</div></div>

Apparently it's already been back there once last August, per the previous owner. I probably goatfucked the guarantee having the CDI DBM installed, but it wasn't shooting right with standard OAL rounds before...that's why I got the long magazines. I called FN Service and sat on hold for 30 minutes and didn't get anything other than a vague, "Yeah...um...send it to us and we'll take a look at it." </div></div>

rock creek barrel and f**k all else! Get a 1: 11.25 twist and you'll be much happier. That's exactly what I'm doing with my last fn. </div></div>

I will really be aggravated if I have to spend 500 bucks to rebarrel a rifle that was supposed to shoot half-MOA from the factory.

Yes it sucks, but I know when my rifle comes back from the smith. I'll have a bad ass rifle that I'll never outshoot

LC LR Brass
155gr Lapua Scenar
43gr Imr 4895
CCI 200 LR primer
loaded to factory mag length

That shoots quite well in mine. I'd have to do some digging to determine how big of a jump. If you decide to rebarrel, I call dibs on the factory cl tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: six 4 sure</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LC LR Brass
155gr Lapua Scenar
43gr Imr 4895
CCI 200 LR primer

That shoots quite well in mine. I'd have to do some digging to determine how big of a jump. If you decide to rebarrel, I call dibs on the factory cl tube. </div></div>

OK. How would you headspace it, though?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dieselten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your post is a little confusing. Did you install a CDI bottom metal in place of the original A3G hinged floor plate? If so, then you removed a huge portion of your bedding area. You did not mention re-bedding the rifle????

The A3G shoots awesome. How did yours shoot before you installed the CDI? </div></div>

The bottom metal was not bedded from the factory, and the factory GAP bedding has not been touched. It shot the same as it does now. </div></div>

My A3G has both the action, and bottom metal factory bedded by GAP.

Here is some loads I posted a while ago. Both my SPR's ran great with these loads all the way out to 800m. I dont think they are going to do you much good as it sounds like your rifle needs to go back to FN... sorry buddy..

43.8 Varget
Lapua brass
fed210match or cci br2 primer
178 amax or 190 smk
2.86 to 2.87 coal

45.5 RL-17
Hornady brass
cci-br2 primer
190 smk or 185berger bt
2.86 to 2.87 coal

These loads usually hover a little below 3/4 moa for me. I did try to play with the 208amax and RL-17, but no joy with that combo for me. I think its a shade to heavy for the 1/12 twist.

Hope that helps ya with a good starting point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: six 4 sure</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LC LR Brass
155gr Lapua Scenar
43gr Imr 4895
CCI 200 LR primer

That shoots quite well in mine. I'd have to do some digging to determine how big of a jump. If you decide to rebarrel, I call dibs on the factory cl tube. </div></div>

OK. How would you headspace it, though? </div></div>
I'm probably wrong, but I have a SPR action I bought from CDNN a few years back, I'd hope it would screw on without much issue.

Well, it's official...it's goatfucked. I've tried every goddamn thing to get it to shoot, and couldn't. A police sniper took it to the range today and couldn't get it to shoot. I'm sending it to FN on Monday morning. I'm told installing the CDI bottom metal doesn't void the warranty, I sincerely hope they fuckin' fix it or replace it - though of course I'm going to get fucked out of the money I spent on the bottom metal installation if they do replace the whole gun.

Regardless, I don't want to see the fuckin' thing again unless it stacks bullets.

Thats disappointing, hopefully they swing you a new one or at least fix yours and return it with a test target so you can see it's fixed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, it's official...it's goatfucked. I've tried every goddamn thing to get it to shoot, and couldn't. A police sniper took it to the range today and couldn't get it to shoot. I'm sending it to FN on Monday morning. I'm told installing the CDI bottom metal doesn't void the warranty, I sincerely hope they fuckin' fix it or replace it - though of course I'm going to get fucked out of the money I spent on the bottom metal installation if they do replace the whole gun.

Regardless, I don't want to see the fuckin' thing again unless it stacks bullets.

</div></div>

Did you ever bore-scope it to check the chrome?

Regards,
Greyson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greyson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: QuietShootr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, it's official...it's goatfucked. I've tried every goddamn thing to get it to shoot, and couldn't. A police sniper took it to the range today and couldn't get it to shoot. I'm sending it to FN on Monday morning. I'm told installing the CDI bottom metal doesn't void the warranty, I sincerely hope they fuckin' fix it or replace it - though of course I'm going to get fucked out of the money I spent on the bottom metal installation if they do replace the whole gun.

</div></div>

Did you ever bore-scope it to check the chrome?

Regards,
Greyson </div></div>

No, my friend with a scope is almost 2 hours north of here, and at this point I'm not wasting any more of my time diagnosing it. We'll see how good this "guarantee" is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the_fng</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats disappointing, hopefully they swing you a new one or at least fix yours and return it with a test target so you can see it's fixed. </div></div>

I don't want to see any bullshit 3 rounds at 50, like the target it came with. Show me 5 rounds under a half-inch at a hundred, or it ain't fucking fixed, either.

Grrrrr.

Update: The fine gentlemen at FN have replaced my rifle with a shiny new A3G that came with a 0.15" test target.

The ONLY drag is that the trigger has a terrible creep right before it breaks. I shot 40 rounds through it yesterday and got a sub .4 group at 200 yards, but the trigger makes me throw one every once in a while. I broke it down and adjusted it a little last night and lightened it, but was not able to eliminate the creep. I'm headed out to try it again today.

Kudos to FN for stepping up - apparently the rifle I had came from the serial number range with bad barrels from USRAC.

My A3G spanks ass especially with 155 gr. Lapua Scenars. Did they give you your bottom metal back?

Negative. I called about that, and they said they'd do something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onechance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My A3G spanks ass especially with 155 gr. Lapua Scenars. Did they give you your bottom metal back? </div></div>

ETA: I was shooting 175gr FGMM yesterday. I'm going to try some 155 and 178 AMAX today just to see what happens. I'm sure I can push the 155s fast enough to get them to a K with the 24" barrel. (I want to shoot some F-class with this gun).

I hit 1000 with no problems. I use Lapua brass, 155 gr. Scenars, CCI.primers, 47.3 gr. Of Varget and 2.844 O.A.L. works great @ 1K. I also use a Nightforce 5.5-22X56 NPR-1, .25 moa, HS/ZS.

I just ordered some Lapua brass to try to get my velocity ES under control, but even without it I shot a sub-half-moa group at 400 on demand the night before last.

THIS is how this shit is supposed to work.

Again, major props to FN Service.

Are you still waitnig on your bottom metal? Update on the trigger?

My FN SPR consistently shoots .375" or better with the best at .357". The bottom metal isn't going to effect accuracy but I will be getting the CDI bottom metal asap.

Oh - sorry. I'm not doing the bottom metal for now. The old gun's bottom metal was not bedded, and this one's is - so I don't want to fuck with its karma. The Timney is working out well so far, with the caveat that I had to countersink a .25" hole about the same size in depth to get the trigger to sit flat on the bottom inside of the stock.

As much as I hate to do it I might wind up selling the CDI bottom metal unless I can find someone who can do a perfect bedding job on it after CDI inlets it. I have had SO much trouble with guns over the last year I'm really about afraid to fuck with one that finally works.

Glad to see FN fixed you up. I had an A3G back when they first came out. The first one, I had the same issues you were having. I just could not get it to shoot. Even at 100 yards I was getting 1.5" or greater groups. I sent it back to them and they gave me a brand new rifle. They never did tell me what was wrong with it. The second one shot really well, however, I ended up trading it for a GA Precision built rifle.