• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Food riots thread…and energy.

I won't say I think there's fodder for a conspiracy theory, but the numbers look hinky.

35 hog farms, 92 employees being laid off (must just be the first round), "first-quarter operating profit dropped 43.1% to $365m while profit attributable to owners of the company decreased 55.9% to $174m".

They're probably just afraid to announce all the additional layoffs that are likely to come after October.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I won't say I think there's fodder for a conspiracy theory, but the numbers look hinky.

35 hog farms, 92 employees being laid off (must just be the first round), "first-quarter operating profit dropped 43.1% to $365m while profit attributable to owners of the company decreased 55.9% to $174m".

They're probably just afraid to announce all the additional layoffs that are likely to come after October.
Probably mostly "contract" growers they are shutting down. I have friends that grow chicken's etc on contract. They get an email on Friday and Monday morning the processing trucks show up and clean out the operation.
Appears the recession we forecasted 2 years ago is taking hold. The government money is going off shore and has stopped propping up the US economy.
Jerome Powell and the FED Reserve are sure quiet.

Stock up on Span while you have the chance.

The items you listed have been squared away long ago for many.
A person or family could have a warehouse full of these items and simply be in the wrong location or have a mole in the family and this stuff could be gone in a matter of hours if it was in the suburbs.
The common problem with a travel water filter is finding water. There is a drought in the West and water can be difficult to find. If you are East of the Mississippi water is available but there are many more challenges in the populated areas.
Preserving the community is a great theory. Look around at the community and figure out what percentage is worth preserving.

What is your survival plan ?

Many here will say your posting resembles the chat bots that have been here lately. You should personalize it. Don't sound like you are promoting one specific product.

:sneaky:
It is really going to depend on how bad it gets. Portland bad is one thing, Yugoslavia 1990's is another. And that book brought up in the other thread is not helping me too much.

3 months worth of meds....what planet are you on. They will only give me 1mo at a time. I get them as early as I can so I have a small stash, but without that little white, red......pills I am likely dead already.....or at least not doing real well. It will be rough.

The rest of it, no biggie. Just added another 275 gal of water last weekend....but.....in the winter how to keep it from freezing and busting the tanks.....with limited power. Solar, there is some power, but not a lot. Run a small stove and hot plate with no smoke from a fire is a plus.

Quite a bit of food, and fuel for fires. Lots of game, but who knows how quickly that will go away. Then who can you trust outside of your family....my son and his wife, inlaws. Her folks.....not so sure, I can see real problems there. And here is friction now in the core group.

Make no mistake it will not be "fun". It will suck all the way around. My plan of buying near Whiteman might be an error, it will fall from within not from outside.

Seems like this dolt is feeding at the Uniparty trough. Strong labor market? Consumer spending robust? Housing going gangbusters? Where did he get this data???
He must have missed the part of the economic report that showed that 39% of small businesses went out of business last year.

Last edited:
It is really going to depend on how bad it gets. Portland bad is one thing, Yugoslavia 1990's is another. And that book brought up in the other thread is not helping me too much.

3 months worth of meds....what planet are you on. They will only give me 1mo at a time. I get them as early as I can so I have a small stash, but without that little white, red......pills I am likely dead already.....or at least not doing real well. It will be rough.

The rest of it, no biggie. Just added another 275 gal of water last weekend....but.....in the winter how to keep it from freezing and busting the tanks.....with limited power. Solar, there is some power, but not a lot. Run a small stove and hot plate with no smoke from a fire is a plus.

Quite a bit of food, and fuel for fires. Lots of game, but who knows how quickly that will go away. Then who can you trust outside of your family....my son and his wife, inlaws. Her folks.....not so sure, I can see real problems there. And here is friction now in the core group.

Make no mistake it will not be "fun". It will suck all the way around. My plan of buying near Whiteman might be an error, it will fall from within not from outside.
You are well ahead of 95% of Americans with your plan.

PSA
IMG_0015.jpeg

always room for a few more cans. Maybe trade some for that dumpster 🐥

One more food trap. When there is no food in the store they still have your print. Connect the dots.
Nearing Mark of the Beast.

In the near future, you’ll be able to purchase things with a swipe of your hand.
Pay-by-palm is already available at over 200 Amazon-owned Whole Foods Market stores across the country. And by year-end, all 500+ stores throughout the U.S. will offer the payment option, according to a July 20 press release.
This means customers who sign up for the Amazon One program won’t need their wallets or phones to pay for groceries.

One more brilliant government idea.
Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson announced last week that his administration is exploring a city-owned grocery store as a means of promoting "equitable" access to food, though the plan has drawn criticism from skeptics of a government owned and operated store.

• Haha
Reactions: Fig
So was at the grocery store today replenishing the larders.... since I let them run down before travelling and some other early Sept. stuff.

Noticed a couple of things. Noticed enough to post, at least!

First, not much beef in the store at all. Maybe a 3.5 foot section. But the prices were pretty low! Big (probably 6
lb top round) roast for $29? Seems pretty cheap. London Broil... big one for $8. Sirloin tips... couple of pounds for $8. Way cheaper than recently unless I am being warped by inflation and I just 'think' the prices are low.

Tons of pork. Cheap. No Lamb, which is wierd. This time of year, there should be a lot of it from OZ where it is spring. Tons tons tons of chicken. Really cheap.

The thing that really made me take notice was the produce section. Holy crap... this is a store that usually has great meat, produce, etc. A big Hannafords. Better than the Shaws that is on the tourist-route into town has much worse stuff and prices are way, way, way higher. Like 30 percent. Tourist trap prices. So I go to the one 'north' of Tourist town and same stuff is cheaper. Significantly.

But the produce section today was stuff I wouldn't feed a goat! I had to go through 100 tomatoes to get 12 acceptable for... dehydrating!! Not perfect 'serve on salad'. But red, firm and not massively bruised. 100 tomatoes netted me 12. I wanted 20 plus. But that's all they had. Garlic buds... had to go through something like 20 to get 2 that werent all dry rotted or nasty or moldy on the paper. The Garlic was appalling!

So you guys in Ag... who follow this daily... am I seeing an anomoly? Or a trend? Or the future? Or am I not seeing anything at all. Are they just dumpng anything on the market? Short of pickers/processors/shippers and, since we are literally at the end of the line... we get what we get?

Is acreage down? Weather sucks this year? Noone gives a shit?

My pepper crop this year in VT is bumper... but i did it in pots this year (not ground) and so the huge rains did not mess them up as much as if they'd been in mushy ground. My tomatoes didn't do great. Seems like too much water, not enough sun.

So is anything 'up' or am I just being picky in my old age.

Cheers!

Sirhr

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
So was at the grocery store today replenishing the larders.... since I let them run down before travelling and some other early Sept. stuff.

Noticed a couple of things. Noticed enough to post, at least!

First, not much beef in the store at all. Maybe a 3.5 foot section. But the prices were pretty low! Big (probably 6
lb top round) roast for $29? Seems pretty cheap. London Broil... big one for $8. Sirloin tips... couple of pounds for $8. Way cheaper than recently unless I am being warped by inflation and I just 'think' the prices are low.

Tons of pork. Cheap. No Lamb, which is wierd. This time of year, there should be a lot of it from OZ where it is spring. Tons tons tons of chicken. Really cheap.

The thing that really made me take notice was the produce section. Holy crap... this is a store that usually has great meat, produce, etc. A big Hannafords. Better than the Shaws that is on the tourist-route into town has much worse stuff and prices are way, way, way higher. Like 30 percent. Tourist trap prices. So I go to the one 'north' of Tourist town and same stuff is cheaper. Significantly.

But the produce section today was stuff I wouldn't feed a goat! I had to go through 100 tomatoes to get 12 acceptable for... dehydrating!! Not perfect 'serve on salad'. But red, firm and not massively bruised. 100 tomatoes netted me 12. I wanted 20 plus. But that's all they had. Garlic buds... had to go through something like 20 to get 2 that werent all dry rotted or nasty or moldy on the paper. The Garlic was appalling!

So you guys in Ag... who follow this daily... am I seeing an anomoly? Or a trend? Or the future? Or am I not seeing anything at all. Are they just dumpng anything on the market? Short of pickers/processors/shippers and, since we are literally at the end of the line... we get what we get?

Is acreage down? Weather sucks this year? Noone gives a shit?

My pepper crop this year in VT is bumper... but i did it in pots this year (not ground) and so the huge rains did not mess them up as much as if they'd been in mushy ground. My tomatoes didn't do great. Seems like too much water, not enough sun.

So is anything 'up' or am I just being picky in my old age.

Cheers!

Sirhr
I'll kick in some thoughts.
1) "Regional" - We have seen this with ammo, fuel, building materials, etc. When one guy gets on here and talks about a shortage, there is always another guy who chimes in and says "Our shelves are full". I don't think it's a conspiracy but when the Government does the cost of living numbers they seem to cherry pick different items. Doubtful they are all in the same city.

2) With the shortages after the pandemic a lot of retailers have put in orders for items months ahead of time. Perhaps he guessed wrong and has excess inventory.

Last edited:
I'll kick in some thoughts.
1) "Regional" - We have seen this with ammo, fuel, building materials, etc. When one guy gets on here and talks about a shortage, there is always another guy who chimes in and says "Our shelves are full". I don't think it's a conspiracy but when the Government does the lost of living numbers they seem to cherry pick different items. Doubtful they are all in the same city.

2) with the shortages after the pandemic a lot of retailers have put in orders for items months ahead of time.

And we are literally “at the end of the line”
For produce.

That said, shelves were “fuller” and prices were down on some stuff. As if they were testing “How high can we put this befor sales drop.?” And the dialing back.

Not conspiracy…. Just accountants seeing how high they can raise margins.

Sirhr

And we are literally “at the end of the line”
For produce.

That said, shelves were “fuller” and prices were down on some stuff. As if they were testing “How high can we put this befor sales drop.?” And the dialing back.

Not conspiracy…. Just accountants seeing how high they can raise margins.

Sirhr
Sirhr, think about this: with prices for fertilizer and labor going up along with the drought and supply chain issues, it may not be the accountants. It may be that it is the actual input costs. Grocery stores are the most cutthroat market in businesses I have ever seen. Walmart excepted - they are assholes. Perhaps it is a maintenance of margin so they can stay in business with the product they can get.

It’s not a popular view, but even on here you can see those of us who have cattle or farming that our costs to produce have skyrocketed. What are we supposed to do? Take a loss forever and go bankrupt? Because that’s what’s occurring. I’m not advocating for predatory practices but they have fixed and variable costs that are increasing on their side as well. To stay in business they have to pass that cost along.

It sucks, no doubt about it. But how else are they to stay in business? Some of the prices they pass along along are commodity driven, others are based on the prices the vendors pass along that are paying for shelf space. They are in many cases in the same spot we all are.

I see the same things you are talking about. I don’t know how it gets fixed at this point. Inflation, both monetary and commodity are going up due to profligate spending by our government, environmental factors, this conflict that has restricted the availability of fertilizer and labor. Some of these are ebb and flow, others are definitely manufactured. We all are doing our best to survive. This includes grocery stores. The fact that many are publicly traded companies doesn’t help, granted.

Last edited:
The drought has been interesting this year in the midwest, some counties had enough rain to do exceptionally well, while some didn't get enough rain to produce much of anything. I want to say the brother in law said his last fertilizer bill was $200k or 250k.
Flow on the Mississippi River near the Gulf of Mexico has been low. Salt water intrusion is taking place and some under water dikes are being put in place to stop the back flow of salt water. It is possible that some towns that get drinking water from the river could possibly be getting salt water. Traffic on the river is being impacted.

Reactions: SONIC SAAMI
Sirhr, think about this: with prices for fertilizer and labor going up along with the drought and supply chain issues, it may not be the accountants. It may be that it is the actual input costs. Grocery stores are the most cutthroat market in businesses I have ever seen. Walmart excepted - they are assholes. Perhaps it is a maintenance of margin so they can stay in business with the product they can get.

It’s not a popular view, but even on here you can see those of us who have cattle or farming that our costs to produce have skyrocketed. What are we supposed to do? Take a loss forever and go bankrupt? Because that’s what’s occurring. I’m not advocating for predatory practices but they have fixed and variable costs that are increasing on their side as well. To stay in business they have to pass that cost along.

It sucks, no doubt about it. But how else are they to stay in business? Some of the prices they pass along along are commodity driven, others are based on the prices the vendors pass along that are paying for shelf space. They are in many cases in the same spot we all are.

I see the same things you are talking about. I don’t know how it gets fixed at this point. Inflation, both monetary and commodity are going up due to profligate spending by our government, environmental factors, this conflict that has restricted the availability of fertilizer and labor. Some of these are ebb and flow, others are definitely manufactured. We all are doing our best to survive. This includes grocery stores. The fact that many are publicly traded companies doesn’t help, granted.

This is great input and totally understood. This is the first year after the fertilizer price spikes… and diesel spikes.

Farming costs are not only through the roof, but seem unsustainable in an America where we expect perfect produce and meat, cheap, 365 days a year.

I can only imagine folks in the supply chain saying “that tomato that we would have thrown away in 2019 because it has a bruise… well it’s all we have now. So ship it.

And we should be glad to get it… perfect Martha Stewart produce isn’t natural anyway… my garden tomatoes wouldn’t pass any grocery store muster for looks! Taste… beats them all. But that wasn’t the metric I was using yesterday! So there is that.

Thanks for the excellent words and keep up the good work feeding everyone!

Sirhr

The drought has been interesting this year in the midwest, some counties had enough rain to do exceptionally well, while some didn't get enough rain to produce much of anything. I want to say the brother in law said his last fertilizer bill was $200k or 250k.

So… what was it in 2019 before Xiden ‘s handlers seized power?

Sirhr

Don't know, but it really doesn't matter since you have to have it. Bitching about it doesn't do any good.

On one hand yes..

But have farmers cut back? Gone to other methods? Eliminated Chem fertilizers and pesticides in favor of other methods? That still produce crops, but with lower yields and not looking like the “Martha Stewart” magazine cover produce we are all conditioned to expect?

Not criticizing or complaining. Just in a quest to understand.

My impression is that “stuff that would have gotten dumped or exported”is now too valuable to “not sell.” But I may be (probably am?) Totally off.

It is one of the things that is great about this community… so much knowledge in so many fields.

Sirhr

Every elementary school should have a "food plot" and a requirement that each child grow something. American children are so far away from "food" produce it is scary.
I grow a small amount here on the homestead. Enough to read between the lines in this report. The word I find, between lines, is "uncertainty".

Spinning up the new place this spring.
Wise move. Start collecting seeds today. I picked up 5 seed packets at my Post Office this morning. Now is the time to get started on that spring garden. Find a local source for organic cow manure and don't expect it to be cheap.

gas 3.68 at PHX Sam's club. it came down about 10 cents over the last week

gas 3.68 at PHX Sam's club. it came down about 10 cents over the last week
Oil / gasoline prices are all over the board. Traders are nervous, winter setting in, regional swings, unrest in Middle East / Ukraine, taxes increasing, loss of momentum of the Go Green movement, etc. There are not even educated guesses by the, so called, experts. Regardless, it will not go good for the working class American's.

1698872938398.png

WTI Crude • 80.97-0.05-0.06%
Brent Crude • 85.08+0.06+0.07%

Got into raising chickens this year.

Started with 36

5 Still alive

Only 3 laying eggs

Goddamn Gen Z chickens
Dont know what kind of birds you have, but you might try crossbred yard birds. Purebreds don't always do well. Sex-links (red or black stars as they are also known) are hybrids and pretty damn good hustlers and tough. Get another type type of bird that is a setter and let them do what they do. If you have predators you have to outhink them - in whatever fashion you find acceptable.

Some people dont like mongrel, Heinz 57 chickens. Mine live so I really dont care what others think. A super cheap way to get this done is to trade eggs with someone you know that doesnt have your breed - or just buy three dozen from them - and hatch them yourself. This is a two year plan before you get chicks out of those birds and the ones you already have, but it works well. And you get the roosters for meat since you dont need of them.

Last edited:
Got into raising chickens this year.

Started with 36

5 Still alive

Only 3 laying eggs

Goddamn Gen Z chickens
There were some posts that the chicken feed at many stores are now crap... and keep chickens from laying eggs.

Comments ?

Supervisors Build on Effort to Fight Hunger with New Office of Food Equity

Los Angeles, CA – Today, the LA County Board of Supervisors approved a motion authored by Supervisor Janice Hahn and co-authored by Supervisor Lindsey Horvath building on the County’s efforts to fight growing food insecurity in our region by establishing a new LA County Office of Food Equity.

Comments ?

Supervisors Build on Effort to Fight Hunger with New Office of Food Equity

Los Angeles, CA – Today, the LA County Board of Supervisors approved a motion authored by Supervisor Janice Hahn and co-authored by Supervisor Lindsey Horvath building on the County’s efforts to fight growing food insecurity in our region by establishing a new LA County Office of Food Equity.

Laughable, waste on taxpayers dollars and no way to legally implement it other than for the state to run its own stores and give the food away. If it runs its own stores they still need someone to buy from so….

Reactions: Longshot231
Laughable, waste on taxpayers dollars and no way to legally implement it other than for the state to run its own stores and give the food away. If it runs its own stores they still need someone to buy from so….
Let's import millions of people - then claim the larger number of folks with food insecurities..... that all have brand new Apple phones, sneakers, hoodies, backpacks, and pre-paid Visa cards.

Let's import millions of people - then claim the larger number of folks with food insecurities..... that all have brand new Apple phones, sneakers, hoodies, backpacks, and pre-paid Visa cards.
That's the plan. Rather than eliminate the problem, just create two more problems and tell the country 'it's complicated"...