• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

For those who bed their uppers…

Desert_Racer

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2011
USA
Is the upper toast when it’s time for a new barrel, or were you able to get it out of the upper with some heat and re-use it?

Will Loctite 620 come off of the barrel extension and upper pretty easy if you needed to pull the barrel for something, and reinstall it?

I’m finishing up a new build this week with a CLE Krieger Recon 5.56 barrel and would like to put it together. The rub is that the threads are 5/8x24, and I would like to pull the barrel back off eventually to have it recut to 1/2x28, so I can run my OCM5 can when the government gives me my permission slip. I’m guessing it’ll be about a year before I see the can. I currently have a couple muzzle devices I can use to run my Omega in the meantime, until that day comes. I need to know if bedding it before I get it recut is a bad idea or not.

Is the upper toast when it’s time for a new barrel, or were you able to get it out of the upper with some heat and re-use it?

Will Loctite 620 come off of the barrel extension and upper pretty easy if you needed to pull the barrel for something, and reinstall it?

I’m finishing up a new build this week with a CLE Krieger Recon 5.56 barrel and would like to put it together. The rub is that the threads are 5/8x24, and I would like to pull the barrel back off eventually to have it recut to 1/2x28, so I can run my OCM5 can when the government gives me my permission slip. I’m guessing it’ll be about a year before I see the can. I currently have a couple muzzle devices I can use to run my Omega in the meantime, until that day comes. I need to know if bedding it before I get it recut is a bad idea or not.

You can get it back out with a good fixture to hold it, a properly fitted piece of wood and bfh after heating it up.

The pita is cleaning the inside of the receiver extension once you get the old one out and prepping for the new one

You can get it back out with a good fixture to hold it, a properly fitted piece of wood and bfh after heating it up.

The pita is cleaning the inside of the receiver extension once you get the old one out and prepping for the new one
Yep. I’ve not had fun with the residue, but there’s nothing really unusable about the upper. There are some caustic chemicals that can help with removing 620 - marketed as gasket remover.

Reactions: Desert_Racer
If you know you’re gonna remove it to recut the threads, just skip the bedding for now until you’re ready to bond it. Might be surprised that it shoots just fine without bedding.
In all likelihood, it probably will.

Reactions: mtrmn
I forget if that is brutal loctite or the one that is susceptible to impact.

The most common barrel removal technique I heard of (at least for thermal fit) was:
Setup upper in vise with barrel pointing down, into a box or trash can to catch it.
Fit a wooden dowel that can fit through the upper against the barrel extension.
Smack it a couple times with a hammer and the barrel will drop free.