• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I called ten days ago (9/9/19) to check on an application with a check cashed date of 10/22/18 and was told my application was still pending and that an examiner had not yet been assigned but that one would assigned very soon given their current workflow. Operator said once an examiner is assigned things move along very quickly and that it should only be another couple of weeks. Sure enough, called them back on 9/18/19 to see if there was any progress and was informed it had been approved as of 9/12/19. Currently waiting on tax stamp to get to dealer.

From the looks of it, it appears that the check gets cashed and the application goes into a box in a closet for approximately ten months waiting for an examiner to be assigned. Once assigned to a human being, the process seems to move along quickly. At least that is what appears to have occurred with mine!

You got to love how the federal agencies operate!

I called ten days ago (9/9/19) to check on an application with a check cashed date of 10/22/18 and was told my application was still pending and that an examiner had not yet been assigned but that one would assigned very soon given their current workflow. Operator said once an examiner is assigned things move along very quickly and that it should only be another couple of weeks. Sure enough, called them back on 9/18/19 to see if there was any progress and was informed it had been approved as of 9/12/19. Currently waiting on tax stamp to get to dealer.

From the looks of it, it appears that the check gets cashed and the application goes into a box in a closet for approximately ten months waiting for an examiner to be assigned. Once assigned to a human being, the process seems to move along quickly. At least that is what appears to have occurred with mine!

You got to love how the federal agencies operate!
Was that a trust or individual? I'm still struggling to grasp how dates from October check cash dates are being done before September unless their were other form already in line for that person beforehand. I previously waited 6 months for an individual years ago and 9 months for a trust a little over 2 years ago.

Was that a trust or individual? I'm still struggling to grasp how dates from October check cash dates are being done before September unless their were other form already in line for that person beforehand. I previously waited 6 months for an individual years ago and 9 months for a trust a little over 2 years ago.

Silencer Shop Single Shot Trust.

Brycesnwb, please do not try to apply rhyme or reason to an insane process. It is simply unexplainable!

I agree with the "please do not try to apply rhyme or reason to an insane process". I am now over a year on two cans and one at 4 months, filed within one month (trust from silencershop, 1 rp). I called today and she said not to be surprised if the 4 month can gets approved before the two 12 months! what the heck is going on?

• Wow
Reactions: Bigrederic
I wonder if part of it is the bar coded form 4's as they don't have to manually input the information in the system. Scan the barcode, data entry done.

I now know 2 people who have under 90 day approvals on form 4. There is also guys here on anoth thread with same thing. Yet I’m 6 months in on an ultra 7 and in the same boat as @Bigrederic

• Wow
Reactions: Bigrederic
It looks like there is a pile of form 4s from August 11-20 of 2018 that have been lost. Looking at this tracker
It is the largest gap of form approvals on the chart. With people getting approval with less than 90 days, something seems awry.

Reactions: Fatherdeath
I will be calling on Monday again to check the status on this one. But beyond that, I have actually put off buying anymore cans. I have my FFL paperwork in and am just going to apply for the SOT when it comes back. No one within 100 miles of our island community is a SOT., and with us being a subsistence hunting and fishing type community that loves its guns I figured what the hell, why not.

Wondering what going on with mine as well. Submitted 3 form 4s on a trust the same day. Mailed Sept 7 2018, checks cashed sept 20 2018, not a peep from the atf or my dealer. Called to check them and all they tell me is pending. Called again yesterday and the person who answered the phone told me they were not appointed to an examiner because none was listed. How do you not get appointed an examiner in a years time? I've got 4 stamps already and this is by far the longest wait I've ever had. Hoping theyre back for hunting season Oct 26... but really starting to doubt it.
Same here,
Check cashed 9/22/18
Form 4 trust
Still pending not assigned to an examiner.
At what point do I contact my congressman?

Reactions: LeftyJason
Got my first can today, there is definitely something weird going on...
300 OMEGA bought on 26Jun19, picked up from dealer today 23SEP19.....only 3 months.

Bought a Switchback .22 in Feb 19, still no word.......but only been about 7 months so I haven't questioned it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4350muncher
Got my first can today, there is definitely something weird going on...
300 OMEGA bought on 26Jun19, picked up from dealer today 23SEP19.....only 3 months.

Bought a Switchback .22 in Feb 19, still no word.......but only been about 7 months so I haven't questioned it.

Was the Omega 300 bought through Silencer Shop? There have been a bunch of reports of late June, early July '19 idividual F4s that were recently approved, being filed through SS seems to be a common thread.

Just called them, same thing... it is pending, noting more nothing less. I almost bought another one this morning to test the theory that they are moving super fast on current purchases, but didn't see any that I was dying to own at SShop.

Was the Omega 300 bought through Silencer Shop? There have been a bunch of reports of late June, early July '19 idividual F4s that were recently approved, being filed through SS seems to be a common thread.
No, just went into a local shooting range and purchased, paper fingerprints, forms ect.....they mailed it in.

I just called to check the status of my other two form 4's, received Mar 1 st and Apr 15th as some here have done also, got the same thing, both are pending.....that's all they could say, but when asked why I got one back in under 90 days recently, she said that the difference in approval times may have something to do with the dealers, but I don't see how that is possible, but you never know. Just more mixed information to throw in there.

Some weird stuff going on with regards to Form 4 Trusts cashed in the middle of August 2018. Although NFA Tracker is reports from individuals not a single Form 4 Trust has been reported to have come back from 8/10 to 8/21. On average times are falling and Trusts are coming in from middle of October 2018. Unfortunately my Form 4 is in that window. Sure hope they find that stack sooner than later. 13+ Months and counting.

View attachment 7147165
Yup; I'm late August 2018 and still waiting.

Reactions: stevenc23
Yup; I'm late August 2018 and still waiting.
Just called again and they're waiting for my application to clear, which apparently is my background check. 13 months after check cashed. This is my 5th Form 4 with this trust and I renewed my CCP two months ago. Ridiculous.

Got my first can and from what I have read on wait times, I consider myself very very lucky. I have seen a few others with similar check cashed dates get their approvals around the same time.

Surefire 556 RC2

Form 4 Individual

Purchased: 6/12/19
Check Cashed: 7/7/19
Approved: 9/5/19
Stamp In Hand: 9/11/19

Check Cashed Date to Approval: 60 Days

Last edited:
OH HOT DAMN SON 60 days is like the first month of eforms...great job im going to go buy a can now and see if i can get lucky, NFA tracker is starting to show a sharp decline for new items

Just got off the phone with ATF. Two Form4s on trusts at 12 months today, both going to examiners now and they tell me 6-8 more weeks.

My first one a decade ago took 2.5 months. My longest one has taken 12 months. These two are sure to hold the record. And I have 3 more contestants in queue that might be the record holders yet. ?

Got my first can and from what I have read on wait times, I consider myself very very lucky. I have seen a few others with similar check cashed dates get their approvals around the same time.

Surefire 556 RC2

Form 4 Individual

Purchased: 6/12/19
Check Cashed: 7/7/19
Approved: 9/5/19
Stamp In Hand: 9/11/19

Check Cashed Date to Approval: 60 Days

This is good news. My Form 4 Individual was purchased June 18th and check cashed on June 26th. :geek:

Just got off the phone with ATF. Two Form4s on trusts at 12 months today, both going to examiners now and they tell me 6-8 more weeks.

My first one a decade ago took 2.5 months. My longest one has taken 12 months. These two are sure to hold the record. And I have 3 more contestants in queue that might be the record holders yet. ?

My shortest was 13 months. 16, 14, 13.

I'm waiting on 9mm can that was cashed on 7-15-19 maybe I’ll get lucky and it will show up soon, but I also have 2 that we’re cashed back in March which is only 6 months out but who knows

Call the atf and ask. One other question. Did your shop use the bar code or no?

I called atf today. Lady said that it should be approved by November. Form 4 was submitted on 2/8/18

I about fell over today with phone call I got. Purchased on 7/6/19 and tax stamp cashed 7/18/19. Heck I purchased 2 others May 2nd. Crazy

So from what I've found out they hired new people and took stacks of paperwork off the top and said go to work.

I also spoke to an examiner last week and she told me the target TAT for requests is 90 days but didn’t indicate when that would be achieved. I’m just glad to see they are doing something about it, lol.

My local dealer told me on thursday that cans are coming back in 2 months when filed individual. Ive got a pistol can in a trust that will take the expected time :/ looks like the next rifle can will be filed individual

Seen a couple of guys get theirs back in 3-4 months now. Fingers crossed!

Turbo k E-File through SS
9-24-19

Sandman Ti, Individual Form 4 submitted/mailed 6/10/19 (yes, 6/10/19). Approved 9/20/19, just picked it up at my FFL. 100'ish days. There was another guy picking up his can right next to me with similar stats.

(Picked up a different can from the same FFL a week ago and it had been in jail for 9.5 months)

Hope the trend continues. (y) (y) (y)

Purchased 12-27-18
Check cashed 1-10-19
Approved 9-19-19
At dealer 9-30-19
Form 4 individual

I got 6 cans that I purchased over a period from the beginning of July to the beginning of this month; form-4 paper individual. It also looks like the wait times are dropping or am I imagining things?

https://www.nfatracker.com/nfa-transfer-time-tracking/

1569973600019.png