• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: Form 4 wait time

One interesting tidbit on NFA tracker. You can see Albert approved some late Nov pendings and a week later approved mid Dec pendings. Could it be good sign? I sure hope so.

They are assigned areas. Keep in mind it changes. They are also reassinged work depending on work load.
My last can had 3 different examiners during the pending status.

Just wondering, out loud, if the examiners priority is for their respective, assigned states and then when they've cleared them out, they move on to others . . .

. . . I know, the government, pure speculation!

Depending the states they are assigned, yes it can slow them down because of work load. Other examiners help them out. They are also being assigned assistants to help them clear the massive backlog and speed things up. I read an NFA bulletin email that said their goal was to have the wait times down to "one month door to door" and that would allow them to stay caught up at that point. Let's hope that comes true. In July they have a hearing before a Congressional board to explain why they are going to slow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Depending the states they are assigned, yes it can slow them down because of work load. Other examiners help them out. They are also being assigned assistants to help them clear the massive backlog and speed things up. I read an NFA bulletin email that said their goal was to have the wait times down to "one month door to door" and that would allow them to stay caught up at that point. Let's hope that comes true. In July they have a hearing before a Congressional board to explain why they are going to slow. </div></div>

you have that bulletin email you could send to me? i would like to read it and also forward to some other friends. man that would be the bees knees if it was 1 month total. its almost infathomable.

what board is NFA branch appearing in front of? Judicial commitee?

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Form 4:</span>
Mailed 09 Feb
Cashed 17 Feb
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Pending??? The bastards can't even find it in the system</span>
Not pending yet, BUT they can NOW find it in the system...

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Form 1</span>
Mailed 23 March
Cashed 02 April
Pending 18 April

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Form 1</span>
Mailed 16 May
Cashed 30 May (today)
<span style="font-weight: bold">Pending 20 June</span>

cant find the bulletin anywhere. been scouring the ATF website, google cant find it. it seems too good to be true.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charger442</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cant find the bulletin anywhere. been scouring the ATF website, google cant find it. it seems too good to be true. </div></div>

I wish I never seen that post (I can't find it now ether)... It's got my hopes up.

Is there anyone we can contact if we have a complait? Mine has been pending for over 8 months, I spoke wih my my examiners assistant and I was told 30 days....... 60days ago. Would it help to write one of my local ellected officials?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crackerbacks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there anyone we can contact if we have a complait? Mine has been pending for over 8 months, I spoke wih my my examiners assistant and I was told 30 days....... 60days ago. Would it help to write one of my local ellected officials? </div></div>

Office of the Ombudsman

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crackerbacks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there anyone we can contact if we have a complait? Mine has been pending for over 8 months, I spoke wih my my examiners assistant and I was told 30 days....... 60days ago. Would it help to write one of my local ellected officials? </div></div>

You could write to your local senator or congress person. Whoever favors guns more. Or call their offices. Sometimes they can get things moving if they sit on the right board.

To bad most of us have other toys to play with in mean time. My wait just begin.

Corey4,
Yeah, I trusted my dealer when I sent mine in march. Came back rejected, paperwork filled out wrong by the dealer.
Went from hunting season this year, to maybe next year.
smirk.gif

Form 4 (individual transfer) for a suppressor

SWR Renegade
Packet mailed: 11-08-11
Check cashed: 11-14-11
Pending: ?
Approved: 5-23-12
Stamp Received: 5-28-12
Examiner:Jason Bowers

M4-1000 on a trust

Check cashed: 11-25-2011
Pending: 12-7-2011
Approved: 05-17-2012
Stamp received: 05-24-2012
Examiner: Ann Feltner

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Corey4,
Yeah, I trusted my dealer when I sent mine in march. Came back rejected, paperwork filled out wrong by the dealer.
smirk.gif
</div></div>

what did they screw up? when did you first apply?

Got mine back right about 6 months. Mailed on Nov. 26 and stamp received May 31 for a form 1 project. I don't track the check cashed, pending, etc. as I knew it would be a long wait anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corey4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Corey4,
smirk.gif
</div></div>

what did they screw up? when did you first apply? </div></div>

Its on a trust , it was sent out in march. As bonehead as it sounds out of the 2 checks sent (dealers and 200 tax stamp) he sent the wrong one to the atf. its being corrected, but cost me 3 extra months of wait.

My dealer here in OKC really thinks there is something fishy going on. Wait times have gone from 4 to 6 months+ and he hasn't seen nor heard of a major buying influx. Dealer to dealer transfers went from 2-3 weeks to 2 months on NFA (post sample) guns. And when he calls to check on stamps the examiner can tell him the week he will receive them back, even if it's 3 months down the road.

He thinks they are sitting on them to discourage others from buying. Given F&F, it really isn't a stretch in my mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dealer here in OKC really thinks there is something fishy going on. Wait times have gone from 4 to 6 months+ and he hasn't seen nor heard of a major buying influx. Dealer to dealer transfers went from 2-3 weeks to 2 months on NFA (post sample) guns. And when he calls to check on stamps the examiner can tell him the week he will receive them back, even if it's 3 months down the road.

He thinks they are sitting on them to discourage others from buying. Given F&F, it really isn't a stretch in my mind. </div></div>

assuming you are correct, which may be part of the larger picture going on here, i think it would be prudent to contact some elected officials about these issues. what committee in the House or the Senate would ATF and NFA Branch have to answer to? House Judiciary committee since ATF falls under the Justice Department? or Senate Judiciary committee?

maybe the committee on oversight and government reform?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My dealer here in OKC really thinks there is something fishy going on. Wait times have gone from 4 to 6 months+ and he hasn't seen nor heard of a major buying influx. Dealer to dealer transfers went from 2-3 weeks to 2 months on NFA (post sample) guns. And when he calls to check on stamps the examiner can tell him the week he will receive them back, even if it's 3 months down the road.

He thinks they are sitting on them to discourage others from buying. Given F&F, it really isn't a stretch in my mind. </div></div>

While all of that is a possibility. I think its a bit embellished on. Why would the government want to piss off the crowd that is basically paying for nothing. A little green stamp that is $200.00! They are one of two gov entities that MAKE money. I would want to work as fast as possible for the customers that are wiling to pay that and wait 6 weeks let alone 6 months.

This will all change in July.... after their hearing with congress, we shall see their philosophy change.

I agree that it would make sense to move things along so can get the green. But this is our government. The use of sound financial principles are not in it's MO, operating on the whims of a particular administration's political agenda is. Fuck them, will still wait! But....would be nice if I could get the 30 p-1 I just ordered before Christmas!

i can understand why he suspects this, but i will point out my anecdotal evidence is a little bit contrary. I have had them tell me one more month on the phone only to have stamp approved a couple days later. Things are fucked up, no doubt about it. I don't actually think atf is doing this on purpose. The atf is hanging by a thread as it is. Lots of political will to abolish them. Lots of other alphabet organizations would benefit from the absorption of atf funding and power. Just some thoughts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

This will all change in July.... after their hearing with congress, we shall see their philosophy change. </div></div>

Can you provide a link or details on what you are talking about here?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 117D-RTO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

This will all change in July.... after their hearing with congress, we shall see their philosophy change. </div></div>

Can you provide a link or details on what you are talking about here? </div></div>

Google NFA congressional hearing in July

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Google NFA congressional hearing in July </div></div>

Funny stuff..the second link on Google is this thread. The first link is some historical data on how the then-president of the NRA backed the creation of the NFA.

I tried a bunch of derivations of the NFA congressional hearing search but could not find anything, maybe my google-fu is weak.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 117D-RTO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Google NFA congressional hearing in July </div></div>

Funny stuff..the second link on Google is this thread. The first link is some historical data on how the then-president of the NRA backing the creation of the NFA.

I tried a bunch of derivations of the NFA congressional hearing search but could not find anything, maybe my google-fu is weak. </div></div>

Don't worry I been searching for it too and can't find shit

Silencerco Sparrow
Trust
Forms sent: 4/25/2012
Check Cashed: Still not cashed
Pending: 5/14/2012
Approved: TBA
Examiner: Sarah Jones

For those in GA. I was at the local class 3 dealer (Blankenship Custom Firearms) and he received some form 4 back today. The trend he has been seeing is they are approving one month at a time and sending all forms out at the end of the month. Example of the one I seen come back today. I have a pending date of 13 Dec 11 so I am hoping next month within the first or so I should have my stamp.

Sent: 3,8 and 29 Nov 11
Approved: 30 May 12

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the current turn times(form 4's) now with the 12 contractors on the payroll? I'm assuming 6 months but hopefully that picks up... </div></div>

Trends haven't been going in the right direction. I watch the NFA Tracker summary at http://www.randominfo.net/NFA/WaitTimeTrend.php
WaitTimeTrend_201206.png

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbooksta</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K_4c</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the current turn times(form 4's) now with the 12 contractors on the payroll? I'm assuming 6 months but hopefully that picks up... </div></div>

Trends haven't been going in the right direction. I watch the NFA Tracker summary at http://www.randominfo.net/NFA/WaitTimeTrend.php
WaitTimeTrend_201206.png
</div></div>

If I'm reading that table correctly it does appear to be leveling out.... Perhaps this is good news!

leveling out? i am no statistician, however there is a steady increase of wait time, it looks to be a 25-305 increase in the last year alone

Leveling out for may/June.... The green dots are the current times and that is what my statement is based off of...

Form 4
Sent - 11/17/11
Check Cashed - 11/25/11
Pending - 12/12/11
Approved - 6/1/12
Received - ?
Examiner - Dana Pickles.

Come on USPS!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Form 4
Sent - 11/17/11
Check Cashed - 11/25/11
Pending - 12/12/11
Approved - 6/1/12
Received - ?
Examiner - Dana Pickles.

Come on USPS!
</div></div>

Dana Pickles has been my examiner for the last three transfers. Six months seems to be pretty standard. Congrats.

Statisticaly speaking, a curve, or trend, like that can only be intentionally created given the nature of the process.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Killer Spade 13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Statisticaly speaking, a curve, or trend, like that can only be intentionally created given the nature of the process.</div></div>

I was in civil service for 5 years after retiring from the US Army.

Think "mandatory training." CO2 (Concern for Others), "Diversity Training" (aka deconstructing christianity and constitutional law classes using Hegelian Dialectic/Marxist doctrinal training methodology), Fire Safety training, Occupational Health and Safety briefings and all the other crap that takes up time out of an 8 hour day and there's no overtime in a 40 hour week per federal labor law.

Was this going on BEFORE? Undoubtedly, but maybe not enforced at all levels in all agencies in every administration. Times got out of hand during the Clinton era as well (6 to 12 months was normal), it only got into the 4-6 week period during George W Bush's reign. Not sure about Reagan, et al.