• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: Form 4 wait time

Went Pending August 24, 2009
Approved December 30, 2009

Definitely the longest I have ever waited for a form 4

AAC Element

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rob Howard? </div></div>
Yeah that's him

I just picked up two more at my dealer yesterday.

Cans are on a trust
Signed Form 4 9/29/09, mailed shortly there after
Approved 1/7/10
In hand 1/16/10

14 weeks, not bad considering this was over the holidays.

Update on my Form 4 vs Form 1 race...

Form 1 for Krinker Plinker SBR
-Package Mailed 11/03/2009
-Check Cashed 11/20/2009 (Check marked M39)
-Went Pending 12/9-2009
-Examiner: William Shipman
-Approved 1/8/2010
-Stamp Recieved 1/23/2010

Form 4 for SRT ATLAS UNIVERSAL TYPHOON
-Package Mailed 11/19/2009
-Check Cashed 11/24/2009 (Check Marked 8)
-Went Pending 12/16/2009
-Examiner Nancy Flanigan
-Approved (NOT YET)
-Stamp Recieved (NOT YET)

Just spoke to the ATF. Approved my app for suppressor yesterday.

Sent 7/4/09
pending 8/27/09
approved 1/20/10
not yet received.

Paper work sent in 11/1/09
Check cashed 11/5/09
pending 11/30/09
approved 1/19/10
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rookie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just spoke to the ATF. Approved my app for suppressor yesterday.

Sent 7/4/09
pending 8/27/09
approved 1/20/10
not yet received. </div></div>

Your dealer must have the same examiner that is doing my Colt Commando. It went pending 8/27/09 and is still pending.

I've had 12 Form 4s approved since January of last year and none of them took longer than 14 weeks to go from pending to approved.

Any reason why some take so long? Could it be prior military with Tsect SBI / SCI clearance, LE, the state you reside, examiner, or something else.

I have my trust, schedule of assets and coin ready but have yet to send off, I fear this taking 6 months or longer, right in the middle of my move but now, the move may be put on hold so I am not sure what to do.

Just seems that they could get a better and faster system!!!

First One
Mailed BATFE 15-Aug
Received BATFE 17-Aug
Check Cashed 22-Aug
Pending 8-Oct

Second One
Mailed BATFE 6-Jan
Received BATFE 8-Jan
Check Cashed 12-Jan
Pending ????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any reason why some take so long? Could it be prior military with Tsect SBI / SCI clearance, LE, the state you reside, examiner, or something else.

I have my trust, schedule of assets and coin ready but have yet to send off, I fear this taking 6 months or longer, right in the middle of my move but now, the move may be put on hold so I am not sure what to do. </div></div>

It seems to come down to the examiner. I've had 12 Form 4s approved over the last year using 4 different dealers. I quickly learned which dealer has an examiner that gets things done in a reasonable time frame and which do not. There doesn't seem to be any pressure on the examiners to speed things up. Hell, they already have our money so there is little to motivate them to process the paperwork faster.

Lazy sent his form1 today on a trust, now he's playing the waiting game (he's also thinking of doing a form4 on a can)

Atf received package on 2/4/10

I sent in two form 4's on 1/15/10 and they cashed the checks on 1/30/10. How do you guys know when they are pending? Does the BATFE let you know this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reelman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I sent in two form 4's on 1/15/10 and they cashed the checks on 1/30/10. How do you guys know when they are pending? Does the BATFE let you know this? </div></div>

Call the BATFE at 304-616-4500 and tell them you want to know the status of a transfer. You will need the serial number of the item being transferred.

If the check was just cashed a week ago I wouldn't bother calling. I typically wait a month or so from the date my check cashed before calling.

Form 4 Sent Nov 5th
Check Cleared Nov 10th
Pending Nov 27th
Approved Jan 27th
Stamp Received Feb 1st

form 4 sent in Dec
check cashed dec 8
called jan29ish told its being reviewed
today is 2/5/10

.22 suppressor in a trust. first time through.

Ordered my AAC cyclone 1/15/09

can got to my dealer on 7/23/09

paperwork sent in 8/30/09

went pending 9/25/09

dealer called today!!!!! I'm approved and going to pick it up asap!!
I forgot I even ordered it it's been so long! Hahaha

My last 2 cans (gemtech outback and multimount) were 3 months. This was last summer. I paid for a can (gemtech sandstorm) on 10/15/09 and I'm still waiting. Same dealer, so should be same examiner. Don't know wtf the hold up is.

-dan

Hahahaha when you make the rules I guess you can do WTF you want. Atleast that's what they think anyhow. It kinda pisses me off too but it ain't nothin I can do.

Individual
First One 114 days
Mailed BATFE 15-Aug
Received BATFE 17-Aug
Check Cashed 22-Aug
Pending 8-Oct
Approved 28-Jan
Stamp at Dealer 8 Feb
Individual
Second One
Mailed BATFE 6-Jan
Received BATFE 8-Jan
Check Cashed 12-Jan
Pending ????

Well darn.. I thought once the check was cashed it would be getting close, but after seeing some fo your posts the check cashing does mean a darn thing. My pilot took 3 months almost to the day. My shark was mailed Jan 3rd, the badn said they cashed it so i was getting my hopes up
frown.gif

(2) Suppressors
Individual
Mailed 8-26-2009
Rcvd 8-29-09
Check cashed 9-4-2009
Pending 9-18-2009
Approved 1-27-2010
Rcvd forms 2-4-2010
Examiner Andrew Ashton

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338LM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(2) Suppressors
Individual
Mailed 8-26-2009
Rcvd 8-29-09
Check cashed 9-4-2009
Pending 9-18-2009
Approved 1-27-2010
Rcvd forms 2-4-2010
<span style="font-weight: bold">Examiner Andrew Ashton</span> </div></div>
Damn, would I love to have this guy's gig! Online evidence seems to suggest he takes almost 2x as long as most everyone else - AND STILL HAS A JOB! Most everywhere I have ever worked, if you take that much longer than everyone else, your ass gets the ax.

if check was made to batf and explosives(did not see the part were it say's Department of Justice) on a form 1, is that a problem?

I was thinking about buying a can in the future but do not know how to do it if the wait is like this!!
Reason being with deployments and the Army moving me around so much that I might either move or be deployed by the time it would get approved.
I'm not sure how the ATF would look at it if I moved in the middle of the process?

Individual

Examiner: Jason Frushour
First One
Mailed BATFE 28-Aug
Received BATFE 1-Sep
Check Cashed 3-Sept
Pending 21-Sept
Approved 3-Feb
At Dealer 8-Feb

Individual
Second One
Mailed BATFE 15-Oct
Received BATFE 17-Oct
Check Cashed 21-Oct
Pending 6-Nov
Approved 4-Feb
At Dealer 10-Feb

Individual

Examiner: Andrew Ashton
Third One
Mailed BATFE 15-Oct
Received BATFE 17-Oct
Check Cashed 21-Oct
Pending 6-Nov
Approved 25-Mar
At Dealer 31-Mar

Individual
Fourth One
Mailed BATFE 6-Jan
Received BATFE 7-Jan
Check Cashed 11-Jan
Pending 2-Feb
Approved 8-Apr
At Dealer 12-Apr

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mrs.Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if check was made to batf and explosives(did not see the part were it say's Department of Justice) on a form 1, is that a problem? </div></div>

they might not can cash it. who did you make it out to?
They are always made out to Department of the Justice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mrs.Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if check was made to batf and explosives(did not see the part were it say's Department of Justice) on a form 1, is that a problem? </div></div>

they might not can cash it. who did you make it out to?
They are always made out to Department of the Justice. </div></div>

batf and explosives

Mine was just approved. Sent in November 20. Received at NFA for review on December 29. Approved Jan 22.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mrs.Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if check was made to batf and explosives(did not see the part were it say's Department of Justice) on a form 1, is that a problem?</div></div>

I made my check out to BATF&E. In fact my dealer said to do so.

Wrote check on 12/14. Back at bank 12/17.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mrs.Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if check was made to batf and explosives(did not see the part were it say's Department of Justice) on a form 1, is that a problem?</div></div>

Wrote check on 12/14. Back at bank 12/17.</div></div>

so they returned your check? I would have guess if they want they should still be able to cash it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mrs.Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mrs.Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if check was made to batf and explosives(did not see the part were it say's Department of Justice) on a form 1, is that a problem?</div></div>

so they returned your check? I would have guess if they want they should still be able to cash it</div></div>

Guess I wasn't clear. My check was cashed, processed and posted to my account 4 days after mailed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mrs.Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchinOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mrs.Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if check was made to batf and explosives(did not see the part were it say's Department of Justice) on a form 1, is that a problem?</div></div>

so they returned your check? I would have guess if they want they should still be able to cash it</div></div>

Guess I wasn't clear. My check was cashed, processed and posted to my account 4 days after mailed.</div></div>

add it was on a form1?

These are some of my Form 4 time lines. Dont know why I didnt record the approved date. I recorded the date my C3 dealer got the paper. All were done as a Trust.

Sent: 2/2/09
Pend: 4/6/09
Got paper: 5/7/09

Sent: 3/8/09
Pend: 5/4/09
Got Paper 6/24/09

Sent 4/24/09
Pend 6/18
Paper 9/23

Sent 5/18/09
Pend 7/14
Approved 10/2
Paper 10/12

Sent 6/21
pending 7/29
paper 11/18

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ejd049</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Individual
First One 114 days
Mailed BATFE 15-Aug
Received BATFE 17-Aug
Check Cashed 22-Aug
Pending 8-Oct
Approved 28-Jan
Stamp at Dealer 8 Feb

Individual
Second One
Mailed BATFE 6-Jan
Received BATFE 8-Jan
Check Cashed 12-Jan
Pending ????

</div></div>
Picked up the first one 10 Feb!!! Highly recomend Bryon at Major Malfunction and Mike at Texas Small Arms Research.
P1020022.jpg

P1020024.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csi:cyberspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338LM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(2) Suppressors
Individual
Mailed 8-26-2009
Rcvd 8-29-09
Check cashed 9-4-2009
Pending 9-18-2009
Approved 1-27-2010
Rcvd forms 2-4-2010
<span style="font-weight: bold">Examiner Andrew Ashton</span> </div></div>
Damn, would I love to have this guy's gig! Online evidence seems to suggest he takes almost 2x as long as most everyone else - AND STILL HAS A JOB! Most everywhere I have ever worked, if you take that much longer than everyone else, your ass gets the ax. </div></div>

Actually Ashton processes a ton of forms. He has been my examiner in the past on a number of stamps. He was very quick when things were normal (before Obama). I talked to Ashton when these last (2) suppressors went pending. He told me to sit back and relax. He said that there was thousands of forms on his desk ahead of me waiting to be cleared. More than he has ever had. Ashton's a great guy.
My FFL-SOT wrote the wrong digit down on one of my suppressor serial numbers. Ashton phoned both me and my FFL-SOT and corrected the digit in pen on the form over the telephone (did not send the form back to be corrected). How many other examiner's would do this with a serial number.

1. NFA Item: suppressor - SWR GS-40
2. Form Type: ATF Form 4 (5320.4)
3. Transferee Type: Individual
4. Forms Sent: 02/11/2010 via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation (delivered on 02/16/2010)
5. Check cleared: 03/02/2010
6. Pending Date: n/a
7. Approved Date: 02/18/2010
8. Forms Received: 02/22/2010
9. Transfer/Maker Letter: T
10. Examiner Name: n/a
11. Notes: this will be my 28th tax stamp

ETA on 02/16/2010: received e-mail that BATFE received my package, which I confirmed via USPS Delivery Confirmation (delivered at 3:14 PM on February 16, 2010).
ETA on 02/18/2010: received e-mail that BATFE approved my transfer and mailed the Form 4 back to me.
ETA on 02/22/2010: received my approved Form 4 with $200 tax stamp, so I will take the paperwork to my SOT this weekend to pick up my SWR GS-40
The biggest delay in this process was the Snowpocalypse / Snowmageddon in the DC area, coupled with the federal holiday to commemorate President's Day.
ETA on 03/03/2010: ATF finally cashed my $200 check on 03/02/2010.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stefan73</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was thinking about buying a can in the future but do not know how to do it if the wait is like this!!
Reason being with deployments and the Army moving me around so much that I might either move or be deployed by the time it would get approved.
I'm not sure how the ATF would look at it if I moved in the middle of the process? </div></div>

I'm not sure if anybody could give me some guidance or advice here?

Update on my Form 4 vs Form 1 race...

Form 1 for Krinker Plinker SBR
-Package Mailed 11/03/2009
-Check Cashed 11/20/2009 (Check marked M39)
-Went Pending 12/9-2009
-Examiner: William Shipman
-Approved 1/8/2010
-Stamp Recieved 1/23/2010

Form 4 for SRT ATLAS UNIVERSAL TYPHOON
-Package Mailed 11/19/2009
-Check Cashed 11/24/2009 (Check Marked 8)
-Went Pending 12/16/2009
-Examiner Nancy Flanigan
-Approved 2/10/2010
-Stamp Recieved 2/18/2010

Form 4 for AWC Thundertrap
-Package Mailed: 2/5/10
-Check Cashed: 2/11/10
-Went Pending: 3/18/10
-Examiner: ?
-Approved: 4/16/10
-Stamp Recieved: ?

They sure are quick to cash the funds!! Hopefully just as quick to approve!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. NFA Item: suppressor - SWR GS-40
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">9. Transfer/Maker Letter: T</span></span>
</div></div>
What is this "9. Transfer/Maker Letter" of which you speak? Is this a letter that gets written at the top of your check by BATFE? If so (or even not) does anyone know what it means?
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csi:cyberspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. NFA Item: suppressor - SWR GS-40
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">9. Transfer/Maker Letter: T</span></span></div></div>

What is this "9. Transfer/Maker Letter" of which you speak? Is this a letter that gets written at the top of your check by BATFE? If so (or even not) does anyone know what it means?
Thanks</div></div>

Once your paperwork reaches the NFA Branch in West Virginia, it is assigned to a Legal Instrument Examiner for processing and ultimate approval. The specific Examiner is typically determined by the trade name or last name of the Transferor (usually the seller or your dealer) for a Form 4 or the Manufacturer (maker) for a Form 1, however, these assignments can and do vary due to workload. Some people want to track and correlate the transfer times by Examiner, because some Examiners have been faster/slower and more/less efficient in processing the paperwork and approving transfers.
NFA Examiners

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. NFA Item: suppressor - SWR GS-40
3. Transferee Type: Individual
4. Forms Sent: 02/11/2010 via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation (delivered on 02/16/2010)
5. Check cleared: ?
6. Pending Date: n/a
7. Approved Date: 02/18/2010
8. <span style="font-weight: bold">Forms Received: 02/22/2010</span>
9. Transfer/Maker Letter: T
10. Examiner Name: n/a
11. Notes: this will be my 28th tax stamp

ETA on 02/16/2010: received e-mail that BATFE received my package, which I confirmed via USPS Delivery Confirmation (delivered at 3:14 PM on February 16, 2010).
ETA on 02/18/2010: received e-mail that BATFE approved my transfer and mailed the Form 4 back to me.
ETA on 02/22/2010: received my approved Form 4 with $200 tax stamp, so I will take the paperwork to my SOT this weekend to pick up my SWR GS-40</div></div>

Guy must be psychic. Posted this on 2/13 and already has an approved form 4 on 2/22 ???

My latest transfer.
Form 4 Individual transfer
Gemtech Halo

Forms mailed 12/28
Approved form back at dealer 2/22
Examiners- William Shipman and Dawn Henson

56 days door to door. They are getting better. My last transfer before this one took 160 days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are assigned to examiner by 1'st letter of last name. Depending on that letter it can go 2-12+ months. It's the government can't over work them, if pushed pace will go from turtle to handicapped snail. </div></div>

Actually each dealer has a designated examiner. How they determine which examiner does which dealers, I dont know that information. </div></div>

It's the transferor's last name. Transferors are not always dealers.

My last name begins with 'C'. I sold two items to out-of-state buyers while my items were on Form 4 with me. So I filed Form 4s to transfer to the buyer's out-of-state dealers, making me the transferor. Those transfers took nearly 5 months.

I bought another item in-state from my friend on a Form 4. His last name begins with 'Y' (he was the transferor) and that Form 4 was approved to my trust in 26 days. I filed it after and it was approved before the Form 4s to the out-of-state dealers.

I transferred another item from a dealer in my state to my trust on a Form 4. His last name begins with 'T' (the transferor) and that transfer took just under 3 months.

So it's all about the first letter of the last name of the transferor.