• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NFA Item: AAC SDN-6
Form type: Form 4
Transfer: Trust
Packet mailed: 25JAN2013
Check cashed: 01FEB2013
Pending: 08MAR2013
2nd pending: 08JUL2013
Approval: ???
Stamp received: ???
Examiner: ???
State: Georgia

I was pending the same day and second pending seven days earlier than bonjourjr above, but no stamp yet. I can picture my file being at the top of the stack on the examiner's desk when this mess hit. Just my luck.

My first can was approved on Sep 20th and I still have not seem my stamp. I think it is in the outbox on my examiner's desk Just waiting to be put in the mail.

I purchased a suppressor online in August 2012. It took 3 months for the Form 3 dealer to dealer, 5 weeks for the CLEO signatures. ATF cashed my check late December 2012. The local gun shop contacted me late July 2013 two weeks after they received the Form 4 (stamped with a number at the top) back for corrections. So these incompetent guys at the gun shop had me fill the form 4 out on front only format (ATF requires front and back format). This is my first suppressor, so I didn't know the difference. The second correction needed was the guy who signed the FFL holders signature wasn't the primary FFL holder of the gun shop. Upon finding this out, the very same day I went to the shop and talked with the owner. He was very helpful and we got the form 4 fixed immediately. I then took it directly to the CLEO and explained the situation and that it had already been signed once and approved by the CLEO. CLEO still made me wait two more weeks before notifying me it was ready. Again I immediately sent the new form 4 (2 copies in front and back format) with a copy of the old one with the noted corrections. I called the ATF today, they told me my form 4 had been disapproved on August 27, 2013 the same day I sent the corrected form 4 to them. The ATF reviewer that disapproved this form is not answering his phone. I've heard rumors that if you get the corrected form back to them with in 30 days you don't have to start at the back of the line. There is absolutely no reason my form 4 shouldn't have been approve background wise. However I have no idea what the reason was because I can't contact the reviewer. Clearly the corrected version did not reach them in time before the original was disapproved. Anyone out there have any advice for me? Speaking of wait time....I'm now at 14 months (after original purchase date) and counting.

Form 4 sent Jan 23, 2013
arrived Jan 25, 2013
Cashed Jan 28, 2013
Pending Feb 25, 2013
2nd Pending Jun 21, 2013
Approved Sep 20, 2013
Received: Oct 19th
Examiner Jason Bowers

I got a call yesterday from my dealer and he said my stamp was here. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow after a little over 9 months.

My most recent one was sent on 1/11/13 and approved 9/7/13! This is with a trust. Last year at this time about 4 months. I really miss the days of a turn around in 60 days or less!

Called at the end of august and was told 2nd pending was Aug 1st. Called today and was told forms were received February 7th and they aren't doing pending dates any more. A guy on another site says he called yesterday and was told they are not processing any forms with a trust until the new policy is finalized, anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Called at the end of august and was told 2nd pending was Aug 1st. Called today and was told forms were received February 7th and they aren't doing pending dates any more. A guy on another site says he called yesterday and was told they are not processing any forms with a trust until the new policy is finalized, anyone know if there is any truth to this?

Don't you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby!!

So they are going to stop processing 10s of thousands of applications for another month and half? Somehow, I'm not buying it.

I've called twice since the comment period began on two different cans on a trust that are due in any day now and no one has said anything about this.

They never told me they weren't processing them either, but the person I talked to yesterday was less than impressive with their reply. "Recvd in February and to expect 15 months from this date" and "we don't do the pending dates anymore". Some consistency would be nice!

Same - called yesterday and got a non answer.

Given the history of the administration it feels more like a coordinated purposeful slow down by ATF and DOJ for a leftist agenda.

NFA Item: SWR Octane 45 HD
Purchased: 01/22/2013
Packet mailed: 02/01/2013 (per Silenced America)
Forms received: ???
Check cashed: 03/22/2013
Pending: 05/21/2013
Returned to dealer for correction: 9/24/2013 (per BATF)
Resubmitted to BATF: 10/23/2013 (per Silenced America)
2nd pending:
Approval:
Stamp received:
Examiner:
State: Texas

Not real pleased with the progression of things. It took almost 2 months from the time it was supposedly mailed until my check was cashed. Now it has been returned due to an error on the Form 4. If I'm lucky I'll get this thing before Christmas, but I'm not holding my breath.

My first can was approved on Sep 20th and I still have not seem my stamp. I think it is in the outbox on my examiner's desk Just waiting to be put in the mail.

Just called and learned that I was approved on 9/27. I was told the "dealer should receive the materials within 30 days." Nothing on the dealer's end yet. Still nothing on your 9/20 approval?

I just called to check the status of some forms I've had pending since the beginning of the year. NFAtracker.com has been predicting that I would have everything by the end of November at the latest. I was just told by Damon that everything is looking at 15 months from the date it is received. Seriously, what the fuck? I was told by the NFA that the wait was roughly 6 months back when I first went pending. How can the wait increase once you already have a place in line unless the process changes? The NFA Branch isn't some super secret division, so if a process has changed, we should know about it.

This is getting ridiculous. That office needs to be completely re-tooled.

- Loud

I just called to check the status of some forms I've had pending since the beginning of the year. NFAtracker.com has been predicting that I would have everything by the end of November at the latest. I was just told by Damon that everything is looking at 15 months from the date it is received. Seriously, what the fuck? I was told by the NFA that the wait was roughly 6 months back when I first went pending. How can the wait increase once you already have a place in line unless the process changes? The NFA Branch isn't some super secret division, so if a process has changed, we should know about it.

This is getting ridiculous. That office needs to be completely abolished.

- Loud

Fixed it for ya!

This is getting ridiculous. That office needs to be completely re-tooled.

- Loud

I think the new automatic response is 15 months no matter when you went pending. My check cashed towards the beginning on February, pending beginning of March and approved September 30th but still waiting for papers to arrive at dealer.

Although I'm sure 15 months from pending now is probably right. I agree it's absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the new automatic response is 15 months no matter when you went pending. My check cashed towards the beginning on February, pending beginning of March and approved September 30th but still waiting for papers to arrive at dealer.

Although I'm sure 15 months from pending now is probably right. I agree it's absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda thinking the same thing had one sent in Dec '12 and it was approved in August sent two in Jan and they went pending in Feb. surely they will be here any day.

I called today at 10:50 AM she took my serial no. and that it went pending on March 26th 2013 and that it would be 15 months from the Pending date. She also said they done away with the second pending date. It was 9 months before the shutdown. Now that they are back it is now 15 months. I don't see how two to three weeks off could add 6 more months to an already horrendous wait. 15 months will make mine out to June of 2014! All I'm seeing here are folks that got there's pending in January or February of this year and getting their form back in September or earlier. Am I the only one that went pending at the end of March?

Last edited:
I called today at 10:50 AM she took my serial no. and that it went pending on March 26th 2013 and that it would be 15 months from the Pending date. She also said they done away with the second pending date. It was 9 months before the shutdown. Now that they are back it now 15 months. I don't see how two to three weeks off could add 6 more months to an already horrendous wait. 15 months will make mine out to June of 2015! All I'm seeing here are folks that got there's pending in January or February of this year and getting their form back in September or earlier. Am I the only one that went pending at the end of March?

they told me the same thing. absolutely F*%King ridiculous.

Yea, just got off the phone and was told the same stuff y'all got. 15 months from the date my stuff was received.

Mine went pending 2/14/2013 and I guess I'll get it around the middle of May. FML.

People,
The operators that answer the phone are just that, operators. They are not the examiners and each one can move at whatever pace they want to. I heard that same old shit for a year about 9-12 months and our examiner was getting them done in 7-8 months total time. Take a deep breathe and just forget about your items. Call to confirm their pending status then leave it alone for awhile. Call at 9 months in. You might be surprised. If the fed gov would still like to rake in our money, they should get a kick in the pants. It takes no time at all to do these forms. They are under orders to go slow.

NFA Item: AAC SDN-6
Packet mailed: 25JAN2013
Check cashed: 01FEB2013
Pending: 08MAR2013
2nd pending: 08JUL2013
Approval: 27SEPT2013
Stamp received: 10OCT2013
Examiner: Shannon Siviero

Sent -> stamp received: 276 days (9 months, 3 days)
Check cashed -> stamp received: 269 days
Pending -> approved: 203 days
Pending -> stamp received: 234 days
2nd Pending -> approved: 81 days
2nd Pending -> stamp received: 112 days

Life is good.

NFA Item: Dark Horse Arms Internally Suppressed Rugger 77/22
Packet mailed: 27AUG13
Check cashed: 30AUG13
Pending: ???
2nd pending: ???

I don't think I am even going to bother calling to check on the status until August of next year.

Just called and learned that I was approved on 9/27. I was told the "dealer should receive the materials within 30 days." Nothing on the dealer's end yet. Still nothing on your 9/20 approval?

Yes.. I updated with a post on 10/21 that I got the call from my dealer on 10/19... total time was 4 days sort of 9 months. I have two more that were sent in 3 days after this one and neither has been approved yet.

Called today and was told I was approved on Oct. 25th!
Form 4 trust mailed Jan 28 or 29, check cashed Feb 6th and first pending 15 March. Now just waiting on the dealer to call.

Just got off the phone with ATF, form 4 received 4/1,Check cashed 4/2, She said 9 to 12 months from date received.
form 4 , Trust.

NFA Item: Thunder Beast .338P1
Form 3 filed on: 2013-03-20
Form 3 cleared on: 2013-06-03
Form 4 sent: early-mid Augest 2013
Check cashed: 11-28-13
Pending: ???
2nd pending: ???
State: Montana

from what it looks like from other post is that the ATF cashes checks pretty quickly with in a few days, i sent a personal check and it has not been cashed yet its been over 2 months since the 4 form was suppost to be sent out, is this normal or should i be contacting my dealler to see whats going on?

Last edited:
from what it looks like from other post is that the ATF cashes checks pretty quickly with in a few days, i sent a personal check and it has not been cashed yet its been over 2 months since the 4 form was suppost to be sent out, is this normal or should i be contacting my dealler to see whats going on?

I would be contacting someone...I have never had a check to the ATF take longer than one week to get cashed.

i contacted my dealer and he said the ATF definitly has my paper work from the delivery confirmation, and from what i gather of his explination is that they cash the checks close to the first pending with the gov shut down its probably been delayed, my dealer said he would check in on it and get back to me when he finds something out

i contacted my dealer and he said the ATF definitly has my paper work from the delivery confirmation, and from what i gather of his explination is that they cash the checks close to the first pending with the gov shut down its probably been delayed, my dealer said he would check in on it and get back to me when he finds something out

That explanation isn't correct. Typically your check gets cashed within a week of you sending the paperwork. Then it will go pending - that time depends. Last year pending was 1-3 weeks, then it went to a month. By Jan, it was two months. Now - I'm not even calling for 4 months…

If YOU have the serial number of your NFA item, you can call and check on it (assuming your dealer circled the choice allowing you to check). You can leave a message for the examiner and he/she will call you back.

I was told on friday that from the time your check is cashed you should allow 8 weeks for it to hit pending status. Then prepare to wait about 8-12 months depending on your state and examiners backlog.

I was told on friday that from the time your check is cashed you should allow 8 weeks for it to hit pending status. Then prepare to wait about 8-12 months depending on your state and examiners backlog.

KYS or anybody else that would know, what backlog is the examiner for North Carolina seeing? I know its substantial like any other but was curious to know if you see certain examiners that are more proficient witht he process. Sent my checks USPS 2-3 day priority with tracking last week and they have yet to cash them. Hopefully they get cashed in the next few days.

*yay* My DD paperwork just came through for the .55 Boys anti-tank rifle! Wait time has been about 8 months.

Of course, it's still at the restorer having the barrel (which had been DeWAT plugged and welded back years ago) swapped out to an NOS barrel we acquired. That took months to find... I could have done the restoration as a .50 BMG and with a modern barrel and avoided all the transfer hassle (including the hassle of reloading for .55 Boys), but far too many of these guns have been converted and once converted, they can't go back.

Pictures coming when the restorer is done with the barrel swap... which is probably another month or so away. Boys Barrels are a nightmare to remove and installed as they were shrunk on and basically have to be machined out. Maybe I'll have it for Christmas. I'll post pictures over in the Vintage section... It's a very neat Boys .55 setup with all of its original accessories including canvas, etc!

Cheers,

Sirhr

KYS or anybody else that would know, what backlog is the examiner for North Carolina seeing? I know its substantial like any other but was curious to know if you see certain examiners that are more proficient witht he process. Sent my checks USPS 2-3 day priority with tracking last week and they have yet to cash them. Hopefully they get cashed in the next few days.

I can't answer that. I don't study other states examiners. I do know my states examiner decently and he has always been helpful and willing to take my calls. They are still recovering from the government shut down, they missed out on 2 weeks of solid office time. Things are bogged down. They will get rolling again soon.

I can't answer that. I don't study other states examiners. I do know my states examiner decently and he has always been helpful and willing to take my calls. They are still recovering from the government shut down, they missed out on 2 weeks of solid office time. Things are bogged down. They will get rolling again soon.

I checked account and checks were cashed today....and the wait begins :)

A local guy just got a stamp a couple days ago. It took 8 months and 2 weeks from when he mailed the check.

Form 4s for 3TBAC suppressors electronically filed from my FFL yesterday. Will keep you posted. I suspect these will be freed from BATF prison by mid summer!

FYI, the address in Atlanta is nothing more than a check processing & clearing house. Your forms issued a document number and then bundled and sent to the Martinsburg address. There they are keyed into the system by lowly data entry people and sent to the appropriate examiner for approval.

I've been in the NFA biz for a while. The days of the NFA Branch in DC were bad, I've seen the jelly doughnut and collard gene stained forms. But they were never as bad as the are now. The best the NFA Branch ever was, was when Ken Houchens was in charge right after they moved to Martinsburg. 30 day approvals were SOP, I personally had transfers approved, on special request, in 24 hours. I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Houchens at SHOT Show one year and shook his hand and thanked him for all he had done for us NFA dealers & manufacturers But like anything government related, if you do your job too well and too efficiently, you aren't welcome as a government employee and are sent packing. It's been down hill ever since.

Anybody hearing of Form 4s on a trust and e filed earring in 3 months? I'm thinking this is BS but I could be wrong. What say the people in the know?