• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

CGS Hyperion QD on E-Form 4
12/1/21 Purchased through LGS, applied via SS Kiosk, then spent several weeks clearing up issues/corrections with application
1/28/22 Ready to certify, SS
2/2/22 E Form4 Submitted/In Process, email from ATF
5/27/22 Approved, email from ATF

Total 113 days

TBAC Ultra 5
2-1-22 certification through local Silencer Shop affiliate.
5-27-22 approval email.
116 days.
WA rules are stupid. I had to do a background check to take it home.

Reactions: Sigmanx
7 months and counting......smh! I'm almost tempted to buy another CGS Hyperion via e-forms to see what happens.

May 16, 2021 submitted, approved 5/15/22, picked up 5/26/22.
So bleak as it seems, there is some hope for pre-Eform approval.
-Richard

Last edited:
Day 1 for my first one and call back and try again tomorrow for my second. If I get these by October I’ll be surprised.

How picky is the AFT on photos? The one submitted is not the same as the one I sent to SS for the application. Had issues getting any accepted and then there it is miraculously except it wasn’t the one I wanted. IOS must not work the best with the application process. And SS is probably swamped and doesn’t get to emails for several days.

So, in my somewhat hyper anxiety yesterday after my Senator's office forwarded a reply from ATF that the FBI/NICS has had my suppressor on "Delay" since Mar 31 when I just cleared a NICS check on a BA on 16 Mar???

Anyway, while you can appeal a Denial....you can't do shit or get really any info on a Delay (well, not without perhaps an attorney). You can get your FBI file, that really doesn't indicate wtf is the reason for the Delayed status.

I did take a bit of a desperate action yesterday and emailed the VAF (UPIN guys) as they were the only people in NICS I could find to reach out to directly. I did acknowledge that my situation doesn't seem to be in their portfolio but asked if perhaps they could direct me to the proper person that I could contact.

That was yesterday....the same day that ATF came back to my Senator's office saying I'm on Delay since Mar and that's that. Assholes.

So today (!!) the VAF office replied to me that they reached out to the supervisor of the department that handles ATF background checks (part of NICS) and was informed that:

"your transaction with the FBI has recently been completed and sent back to the ATF. The ATF should be in contact with you upon completion of your application."​
Now, they didn't say what "recently been completed" means but I suspect that perhaps it was yesterday! haha The very same day that the ATF insisted that the FBI said I'm on Delay.

I THINK (not caps...I don't know, but I think) that the NICS office puts all ATF NICS requests on Delay as the Brady law says they have 3 days to complete a check on a Delay or the item can be released by the FFL. This does NOT apply to NFA Form 4 stuff. But we know that all of these orgs are totally in the weeds, have a big backlog, and I suspect that the "Delay" put on my Form 4 on 31 Mar is the date the NICS folks got the ATF request for background check and given that they were not going to be "instant" (as in the I in NICS) they routinely put all such background requests on Delay status until they can get to it. I do NOT know that....but I think it may be the case.

Anyway, next week we (Senator's office) is going to ping the ATF about this...if those assholes come back and say I'm still on FBI/NICS Delay, then we will go to war. But I suspect (again, don't know) that we may have broken the log jam and got things moving again. Aside from the background check, I don't think (that word again) there is much else to process.

Anyway, that's were we are.

Damn, this stressed me out terribly yesterday. In 1998 I ran into an issue with NICS (first gun bought under NICS req) with them having absolutely erroneous and incomplete data in my record and it took about 2 years and $$ to a lawyer to get it cleaned up. I feared I was about to be dropped into that quagmire again but thankfully not.

The NICS regs need to be amended, IMO, to include some sort of admin law court for "Delayed" where a citizen can find out WHY they have been put on Delay and defend/appeal/rebut the NICS position.

Cheers
So, I asked my friendly NICS UPON guy, who told me that my background check was returned to the ATF “recently” if he could tell me what “recently” meant.

It meant 26 May. The very day he reached across the organization to see where my NICS check was.

“Oh, you mean this one sitting under my coffee cup? Tell him it’s sent back to the ATF and I’ll do that as soon as I finish my donut”

Fucking clowns. If I didn’t sic my Senator’s office on them it would prob be sitting there until the second coming. FFS

At 97 days and still waiting on efile. That paper file over a year wait is absolutely criminal.

Reactions: FuhQ
First Efile form 4: 113 days and still pending

it appears the initial honeymoon period of e-files getting 65-78 days approval is gone by the wayside. i expect they are all going to be something like 180 days very soon.

i wonder, out loud, if there will be a time long after they get through the current backlog of paper submissions, where the vast majority will be efile and if a person could get back to the olden days of 60-90 days on a paper submission?

Mine went from Pending to Queued… guess I need to call SS tomorrow to see what that means. Tried the ATF today and was on hold for over 30mins and gave it up. Over 400 days so far…
I think it was a glitch in the system. I did a paper file and mine said the same thing yesterday and went away this morning.

Reactions: Bluegrassvw
Really depends if our gov adds or cuts funds and make system more less efficient.
Eforms shouldn’t really slow down unelss
The demand surges or they lose staff at the same time if edible gets more efficient I could see it being 2-3 month process from day you order can until it’s in your hands with apps and all that assuming you have a dealer than can write trust and submit app reasonably quick
Guess we’ll see
3-5 from day of order vs 12-18 means eform already cut the delay 75%

eForm marked submitted on 2/5/22 no contact and no change of status since. Tried to find a way to check status on the website after logging in but no joy and gave up on hold calling for status.

eForm marked submitted on 2/5/22 no contact and no change of status since. Tried to find a way to check status on the website after logging in but no joy and gave up on hold calling for status.

Are you going through silencer shops 3rd party reverse funnel "hey, do you need help buying your silencer" program? If so, I'm sensing a trend.

My local shop is telling me he's seeing 60-70 days turn around pretty consistent.

Are you going through silencer shops 3rd party reverse funnel "hey, do you need help buying your silencer" program? If so, I'm sensing a trend.

My local shop is telling me he's seeing 60-70 days turn around pretty consistent.
I found a dealer nearby that's an "authorized partner" of sorts that had what I was looking for and was equipped to do onsite eform and prints. Don't think my purchase went through any entity other than the local dealer, if that makes any sense.

I found a dealer nearby that's an "authorized partner" of sorts that had what I was looking for and was equipped to do onsite eform and prints. Don't think my purchase went through any entity other than the local dealer, if that makes any sense.

ok so its not going through the "Powered by Silencer Shop" dashboard thingy?

So, I asked my friendly NICS UPON guy, who told me that my background check was returned to the ATF “recently” if he could tell me what “recently” meant.

It meant 26 May. The very day he reached across the organization to see where my NICS check was.

“Oh, you mean this one sitting under my coffee cup? Tell him it’s sent back to the ATF and I’ll do that as soon as I finish my donut”

Fucking clowns. If I didn’t sic my Senator’s office on them it would prob be sitting there until the second coming. FFS
So, to summarize...

1. After a year of no joy and frankly pissed that e-files were coming back in maybe 90-120 days, I reached out to my Senator's office.
2. My Senator's office reached out to the ATF legislative liaison who came back with the reply that I have been on NICS "Delay" since 31 Mar.
3. I could not be legitimately on Delay as I have zero adverse records in NICS and I had just passed a NICS on 16 Mar for a BA from Altus.
4. THE VERY SAME DAY, I found an email contact in the UPIN (VAF Office) of NICS and asked for some help in find who on the ATF transaction side of NICS I might be able to contact in order to find out why I'm on Delay. Note, you can appeal a Deny but have zero recourse for an endless delay (well, maybe a lawyer might be able to get something out of them via the courts).
5. A real live wire in VAF Office took the initiative and reached out across the organization to the department that handles AFT NICS transactions.
6. My friendly VAF guy replied ONE DAY AFTER NICS ADVISED THE ATF THAT I WAS ON DELAY, with info that my check was "recently" completed and a Proceed was sent back to the AFT.
7. Now...watch the timeline....I asked my friendly VAF guy what "recently" meant and he replied that it was the day he reached across to ask WTF was going on. Yeah, it was sitting under someone's box of donuts or something.
8. Now, my Senator's office reached out to directly confirm with the FBI/NICS that my background check was successfully completed and then forwarded that to the ATF.
9. Today, the ATF replied "I do show Mr. Baron23 was issued a “PROCEED” from FBI NICS. His application will now be sent to await final processing by a legal instruments examiner within the NFA Division."

Please note that nowhere did the ATF commit...or even estimate...the schedule to complete "final processing". Just "await" Fucking clowns.

I agreed with the Senator's office to give them 4 weeks and if we don't have a fucking stamp, we will rattle their cage yet again.

For me, two big take aways.....1) this is the anatomy of a utterly dysfunctional organization and broken process and people wonder why I fucking HATE government and; 2) if I didn't rattle their cage via my Senator's office, it may have been sitting out there for another year. Its too fucked up for words. Total FUBAR.

Hey, where is our resident ATF defender (or maybe even ATF employee)...come on, man. Explain to us how this is reasonable service for our tax dollar? Eh?

Last edited:
So, to summarize...

1. After a year of no joy and frankly pissed that e-files were coming back in maybe 90-120 days, I reached out to my Senator's office.
2. My Senator's office reached out to the ATF legislative liaison who came back with the reply that I have been on NICS "Delay" since 31 Mar.
3. I could not be legitimately on Delay as I have zero adverse records in NICS and I had just passed a NICS on 16 Mar for a BA from Altus.
4. THE VERY SAME DAY, I found an email contact in the UPIN (VAF Office) of NICS and asked for some help in find who on the ATF transaction side of NICS I might be able to contact in order to find out why I'm on Delay. Note, you can appeal a Deny but have zero recourse for an endless delay (well, maybe a lawyer might be able to get something out of them via the courts).
5. I real live wire in VAF Office took the initiative and reached out across the organization to the department that handles AFT NICS transactions.
6. My friendly VAF guy replied ONE DAY AFTER NICS ADVISED THE ATF THAT I WAS ON DELAY, with info that my check was "recently" completed and a Proceed was sent back to the AFT.
7. Now...watch the timeline....I asked my friendly VAF guy what "recently" meant and he replied that it was the day he reached across to ask WTF was going on. Yeah, it was sitting under someone's box of donuts or something.
8. Now, my Senator's office reached out to directly confirm with the FBI/NICS that my background check was successfully completed and then forwarded that to the ATF.
9. Today, the ATF replied "I do show Mr. Baron23 was issued a “PROCEED” from FBI NICS. His application will now be sent to await final processing by a legal instruments examiner within the NFA Division."

Please note that nowhere did the ATF commit...or even estimate...the schedule to complete "final processing". Just "await" Fucking clowns.

I agreed with the Senator's office to give them 4 weeks and if we don't have a fucking stamp, we will rattle their cage yet again.

For me, two big take aways.....1) this is the anatomy of a utterly dysfunctional organization and broken process and people wonder why I fucking HATE government and; 2) if I didn't rattle their cage via my Senator's office, it may have been sitting out there for another year. Its too fucked up for words. Total FUBAR.

Hey, where is our resident ATF defender (or maybe even ATF employee)...come on, man. Explain to us how this is reasonable service for our tax dollar? Eh?
It’s not everything our government regulates is never efficient.
Good idea would be hire a private company
That’s under contract and regulated by the gov.
To do all background checks, forms 3-4 & apps/stamps & they can get good pay like gov workers but at the same
Time private for profit would be much faster

• Wow
Reactions: stefan73
[
It’s not everything our government regulates is never efficient.
Good idea would be hire a private company
That’s under contract and regulated by the gov.
To do all background checks, forms 3-4 & apps/stamps & they can get good pay like gov workers but at the same
Time private for profit would be much faster

Yeah but that doesn't grow government and exert power and control over the citizens.

Never forget, governments only function is to amass more power and expand it's purview and control and spending largese. That is it's only function.

Reactions: BTap
I got delayed on a form 1 a couple years back and had to get my reps involved. I have a UPIN now and associate that with any apps I file and haven't had an issue since. That said, my last paper Form4 took 355 days from check cashed to can-in-hand. I have another paper form4 out there now, I doubt I'll hear anything about it until probably October at the earliest. Complete BS. I haven't filed an Eform4 yet, but considering it just to see what happens.

Reactions: Baron23
Called LGS to check on mine. They said they are seeing 90-95 days at fastest, 124 slowest for efile.

My stamp was cashed March 11. about 80 days so far.

Reactions: matleez
TBAC Ultra 7, eform
12-11-21 purchased at lgs
2-3-22 certification through silencer shop
6-3-22 approval email.
120 days.

I sympathize with everyone waiting for your paper submission, my other cans where paper filed, one was over 400 days the other just over a year.

Reactions: matleez
Still waiting on a Form 3 to clear to my FFL for an "in-stock" Maverick that I ordered back in March. Debating calling 419 on Monday to find out what's up.

That's straight up bullshit.
Yeah. I have a feeling it either wasn't in stock, it got sent out as part of a sponsorship package or was given to a sponsored shooter. I'm pretty un-happy about it. If the Form 3 hasn't been submitted yet, I may just cancel it if they will let me.

Surefire SOCOM556 SB2 on E-Form 4 - Individual
1/15/21 Purchased through SS
1/31/22 Ready to certify
2/1/22 E Form4 Submitted/In Process, email from ATF
6/2/22 Approved, email from ATF

Total 122 days

ALSO don't be like me. I found my approval email in the spam folder not shipping anyone just now looking for something else completely..

Still waiting on a Form 3 to clear to my FFL for an "in-stock" Maverick that I ordered back in March. Debating calling 419 on Monday to find out what's up.
You're more patient than I am... I'd be calling the dealer finding out WTF is going on... If it was "in stock" that's on the dealer, and not Area 419.

Ya, like DOD subcontracting military housing to Balfour Beatty. That worked out great 👍
Except this isn’t military housing
Which I’ve also lived in…
Whole point is private business tends to be much more efficient than anything ran by the government.
Another reason government projects end up costing way more than private or for profit ones do.

Reactions: Jay006
[

Yeah but that doesn't grow government and exert power and control over the citizens.

Never forget, governments only function is to amass more power and expand it's purview and control and spending largese. That is it's only function.
Spot on
Reality it’s just to uphold the constitution and protect us from foreign threats but that seems to the opposite of most politicians goals

Glad you lived in housing. But do you know what happened in 2019?

I just finished watching the 3 mile island Netflix special. I guess that's different too
Yea I’m not sure what any of that has do with me saying private business tends to be more efficient than anything our government runs.
I don’t get your point