• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Individual
Check cashed end of June
Approved second week of April
Call from my dealer today that paperwork is in.

Reactions: Speedywrx
Single person trust
Form 4 Suppressor (Lane 458 can)
Check cashed 9 July, 2018
Approved 17 April, 2019
Stamp received 25 April, 2019

Last edited:
Reactions: Speedywrx
Form 4 individual
check cashed 7/2/18
approved 4/9/19
picked up today (y)

Just a couple weeks away I hope. Seeing all these July checks cashed getting me excited. Mine was cashed the 23rd July.

Check cashed 7-21-18 sico omega
SS trust been patient till last week.....
Do you get an email from silencer shop when it’s approved or a call from dealer when stamp arrives?

another bullshit week gone, purchased 1 year and 1 week ago, individual Silencer kiosk

So I called the NFA branch the other day and they told me the average wait time is for a form 4 is at 9 months and that I should be recieving my stamp in a few days (check cashed 7/16/19 FBI recieved it 7/18/19)
They also told me if I do not receive anything by my 10th month mark to call regularly and start to bug them about it.
My question to those that have a little more experience/knowledge in this area is how does bugging regularly help push your paperwork? What can be done to help other than a change in current law and congressional action? Those that are past the 9 month wait have you called to check on it? What does the FBI exactly check other than basic background check? Most shooters here probably have some sort of military experience and with that a security clearance. Wouldn't that help with a lot of the wait. If you can hold a security clearance a background check would be quicker. I know high level of clearance tend to delay some firearm NICS checks. Correct me if I am wrong or if I am preaching to the choir.
From what I understand it's the FBI that takes forever with the background check and getting back to the NFA branch.

Reactions: 65Bowite
So I called the NFA branch the other day and they told me the average wait time is for a form 4 is at 9 months and that I should be recieving my stamp in a few days (check cashed 7/16/19 FBI recieved it 7/18/19)
They also told me if I do not receive anything by my 10th month mark to call regularly and start to bug them about it.
My question to those that have a little more experience/knowledge in this area is how does bugging regularly help push your paperwork? What can be done to help other than a change in current law and congressional action? Those that are past the 9 month wait have you called to check on it? What does the FBI exactly check other than basic background check? Most shooters here probably have some sort of military experience and with that a security clearance. Wouldn't that help with a lot of the wait. If you can hold a security clearance a background check would be quicker. I know high level of clearance tend to delay some firearm NICS checks. Correct me if I am wrong or if I am preaching to the choir.
From what I understand it's the FBI that takes forever with the background check and getting back to the NFA branch.

Considering there is people who are over a Year, sometimes almost 2 years, dont take any future proposals from any of those idiots over at the office with a grain of salt.

Reactions: vigildom7
waiting on ultra 9 check cashed 5/9/18

what a bunch of bull shit. What more do they do that a NICS check doesn't do?

The background check is literally the same.
This whole process should be just like the E-file Form 1's. Well, the whole process should really be just like buying anything else gun related, but even if they wanted to continue to follow the NFA. Security clearances shouldn't hold you up. More likely that there is someone else with the same name that's a prohibited person. Seems like it should be quick to sort out since the SSNs are different, but you'd be surprised.

Not sure how your finding out when it went to the FBI unless you’re actually talking with your examiner. I’m at 10.5 months now and I’ve been calling every Friday for the last month. (Except today) and they just keep telling me when they received it and that it’s pending. I asked before about if it is at FBI or not and was told they don’t know (the people that answer the phone)

Maybe I should start asking to speak with the examiner. I also need to ask if it’s the same examiner for all 5 stamps that I sent and were cashed same day. Getting a little ridiculous.

Reactions: Ravenyzf-r6
Form 4 individual
Mailed 4/5/18
CC charged 6/13/18
Approved 4/12/19
Took their sweet ass time mailing it as it arrived this week at my dealer.

10 months wait almost exactly from charging my CC.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
How often are most of you calling to check the status and are there any good questions to ask them?

I usually call monthly and I don’t ask anything other than the status as they’re never very forth coming with information anyway.

I just hangup when they say In Pending, no longer am I saying thanks or being courteous. I dont even greet them anymore, I just say Form 4 status and Serial number xxxx name and name, very blunt.

So basically what I’m getting from this thread…
“Yea I think I’m going to build a rifle and possibly get a can for it. I have decided the caliber now to order the can. By the time I save up and have the rifle built, I should have just enough time to break it in and place in the top 10 national before I get approved.”

The background check is literally the same.
This whole process should be just like the E-file Form 1's. Well, the whole process should really be just like buying anything else gun related, but even if they wanted to continue to follow the NFA. Security clearances shouldn't hold you up. More likely that there is someone else with the same name that's a prohibited person. Seems like it should be quick to sort out since the SSNs are different, but you'd be surprised.
There was nowhere on my app to fill out a SSN. That surprised me. The whole application process for a noise pollution reducing device should make all them liberals in Oregon that are going through these apps want to speed things up, you'd think.
First silencer app for me. Not sure if where you buy from or what state you're in affects wait times, but my dealer has been seeing them approved in as little as 4-5 months. I guess we'll see. Filled my individual app out 4/25/19 for a Silencerco harvester 300...

I usually call monthly and I don’t ask anything other than the status as they’re never very forth coming with information anyway.
Has anyone here felt like calling has helped speed anything up? I'm not seeing it. In fact, it would seem to me if they didn't have to spend most of their day answering impatient phone calls they'd have more time to approve more apps per day...

Has anyone here felt like calling has helped speed anything up? I'm not seeing it. In fact, it would seem to me if they didn't have to spend most of their day answering impatient phone calls they'd have more time to approve more apps per day...
I think we need to strike a balance. Calling everyday would be ridiculous.

On the other hand, a person with a clean record should not have to wait for a year to get something that he has lawfully purchased.

When the wait gets beyond reasonable then a person has a right to know what is going on. A one word response of "pending," is BS.

I called a couple of weeks ago and will wait till next month to call again. When it gets to a year, then my plan is to go congressional on the issue.

In the meantime, I will attempt to maintain a patient attitude. There is no need to be impolite to the ATF representatives on the phone. I won't suck up to them but will show them that I'm a good person who can be polite, professional and courteous.

The peole answering the phones are not the ones approving the applications. The examiners approve the applications. The ones answering the phones job is just that, answering the phones and customer service. If you can actually get through and speak to your examiner you actually can speed things up a bit.

I think we need to strike a balance. Calling everyday would be ridiculous.

On the other hand, a person with a clean record should not have to wait for a year to get something that he has lawfully purchased.

When the wait gets beyond reasonable then a person has a right to know what is going on. A one word response of "pending," is BS.

I called a couple of weeks ago and will wait till next month to call again. When it gets to a year, then my plan is to go congressional on the issue.

In the meantime, I will attempt to maintain a patient attitude. There is no need to be impolite to the ATF representatives on the phone. I won't suck up to them but will show them that I'm a good person who can be polite, professional and courteous.

We have discussed this here before. This whole freakin thing about “ shhh don’t bother them” and the other thing about “they can have my 200 bucks if they speed up the process” exemplifies why gun owners are sheep and we are in this mess. Sheeple gonna sheep ?

First off it has been made clear that looking up numbers and telling folks pending , approved or in FBI check requires ZERO skills. They have a few folks answering phones and THAT IS ALL THEY DO....... JUST BE NICE.

I PERSONALLY THINK THIS IS THE VERY LEAST THEY CAN DO FOR US.

Folks should be outraged at this process and spending their time and bloviating on that, instead of this other BS.

This is a Constitution right that should not require 9 months to 1-1/2 years (flip a coin). It should not require $200. All applications in the system at the time of one approval for a trust or person should also be approved at that time. And we should be more than outraged that this shutdown deemed folks approving a constitutional right, are non-essential staff.

Our collective angst should be directed at Congress and Trump. Not ourselves for simply checking on our progress. No freakin wonder the gun control folks are winning.

Gun owners wake the fuck up and BOTHER PEOPLE!!!

We have discussed this here before. This whole freakin thing about “ shhh don’t bother them” and the other thing about “they can have my 200 bucks if they speed up the process” exemplifies why gun owners are sheep and we are in this mess. Sheeple gonna sheep ?

First off it has been made clear that looking up numbers and telling folks pending , approved or in FBI check requires ZERO skills. They have a few folks answering phones and THAT IS ALL THEY DO....... JUST BE NICE.

I PERSONALLY THINK THIS IS THE VERY LEAST THEY CAN DO FOR US.

Folks should be outraged at this process and spending their time and bloviating on that, instead of this other BS.

This is a Constitution right that should not require 9 months to 1-1/2 years (flip a coin). It should not require $200. All applications in the system at the time of one approval for a trust or person should also be approved at that time. And we should be more than outraged that this shutdown deemed folks approving a constitutional right, are non-essential staff.

Our collective angst should be directed at Congress and Trump. Not ourselves for simply checking on our progress. No freakin wonder the gun control folks are winning.

Gun owners wake the fuck up and BOTHER PEOPLE!!!
I agree.

A armed March of 500000-2000000 people on DC would be helpful.

And by armed I mean with full auto 80s fitted with no paper silencers.

It would be awful if that were to happen.

Is there any other process that you know of that is such a cluster???
I’ve never ran across anything public or private business that is this ridiculous.

How about this after 6 months passes and they can’t get the paperwork approved. They refund the $200 fee and immediately send the stamp. At least they would have some sort of time frame to deal with.

Is there any other process that you know of that is such a cluster???
I’ve never ran across anything public or private business that is this ridiculous.

How about this after 6 months passes and they can’t get the paperwork approved. They refund the $200 fee and immediately send the stamp. At least they would have some sort of time frame to deal with.

Exactly, with regular nics I believe they have 3 days. They can still come after it, if you eventually don’t pass but you have a set high time limit to get your can, Government shutdown or no.

These are the types of revisions we could be pushing for ESPECIALLY for suppresors. Hell if you build its down to like 2 weeks electronically. How the fuck is building, less time than buying by that much of a factor?

Too many folks hung their hat on HPA which was a longshot at best.....

If I bought a handgun, no BG Check with CCW in Wyoming and I would be out the door in 30 mins. or less. Still fill the same paperwork but they just file it at the business. I’m told that Wyoming runs the CCW database every morning for new prohibited persons, which is why there is no BG check required federally.

Exactly, with regular nics I believe they have 3 days. They can still come after it, if you eventually don’t pass but you have a set high time limit to get your can, Government shutdown or no.

These are the types of revisions we could be pushing for ESPECIALLY for suppresors. Hell if you build its down to like 2 weeks electronically. How the fuck is building, less time than buying by that much of a factor?

Too many folks hung their hat on HPA which was a longshot at best.....

If I bought a handgun, no BG Check with CCW in Wyoming and I would be out the door in 30 mins. or less. Still fill the same paperwork but they just file it at the business. I’m told that Wyoming runs the CCW database every morning for new prohibited persons, which is why there is no BG check required federally.
Maybe the NRA could work on that.

Oh wait. The pieces of shit at the top are too busy fear mongering and stealing all the money.

I finally got it in hand!

Form 4 paper trust for SiCo omega 300
Check cashed 3 Jul 18
Error correction sent back on 4 Apr 19
Mailed back corrections on 15 Apr
Approved 22 Apr
Arrived at dealer 30 Apr
Picked up 1 May

302 days from check cashed to pickup.

Would you also believe that I am literally 6 days from a PCS? Talk about a close one!

When I called after I found out about the approval on 22 Apr I wanted to know if it had been mailed out and if not... could they get it out before my move... the guy on the phone would only tell me “You’ll have it within 30 days from approval” and nothing else. So I asked to speak to the investigator who was much more helpful and verified that it went out in the mail on the 24th. My dealer hasn’t been great on calling me when the error form came in or the actual stamp.. so I really had to be on top of things.

Bought a Proof Research + Witt Machine integrally suppressed barrel for an RPR .308... Actually bought as a complete rifle, which turned out to be a mistake since it sat in a cage at the gun shop while I waited. Almost a year of waiting. Purchased at store, digitally fingerprinted and paid there. Form 4 submission was done online through SilencerShop via the gun shop. No errors ever came up, no corrections, no contact, nothing. I tried calling a couple times to get status, but was always just told that everything was in order and it was in process.

Purchase made 4/17/2018
Check cashed 6/21/2018
Approval 3/14/2019

Ugh... 11 months of waiting, for what I don’t know. But I have it now.

Seriously considering a new SBR/ AR pistol setup in .300 and would like a can for it. Not sure if I’m up for another long wait like that to complete the kit.

Bought a Proof Research + Witt Machine integrally suppressed barrel for an RPR .308... Actually bought as a complete rifle, which turned out to be a mistake since it sat in a cage at the gun shop while I waited. Almost a year of waiting. Purchased at store, digitally fingerprinted and paid there. Form 4 submission was done online through SilencerShop via the gun shop. No errors ever came up, no corrections, no contact, nothing. I tried calling a couple times to get status, but was always just told that everything was in order and it was in process.

Purchase made 4/17/2018
Check cashed 6/21/2018
Approval 3/14/2019

Ugh... 11 months of waiting, for what I don’t know. But I have it now.

Seriously considering a new SBR/ AR pistol setup in .300 and would like a can for it. Not sure if I’m up for another long wait like that to complete the kit.
You just have to buy it and forget about it. I'm waiting for ultra 9 check cashed 5/2018. And am about to buy a 338 ultra to wait for that.

It's bullshit but like all our .gov shenanigans. What you gonna do about it

Form 4 trust 2 person
Sent 8/30/17
Approved 4/24/19
No errors took 20 months with 9 approved stamps on trust since 2011

Getting close for me too. Check cashed 6-30-18.

The wait is finally over but Silencer Shop is going to screw me into waiting a couple more weeks... more on that after the detail dates.

TBAC Ultra 7CB-6.5
Silencer Shop Single Shot Trust
Purchased > 6-4-18
Check cashed > 6-30-18
Approved > 4-8-19
Stamp arrived > ? dealer didn't call
Picked up > 5-3-19 (today)

282 days from check cashed to approval.

Now for the best part! Silencer Shop is shipping TBAC stuff without the CB mount. Talked to them today and they apologized for the CB mount being on back order and would ship one to me as soon as they receive their next order. Of course I'm not too happy about waiting a few more weeks because I know the CB mount hasn't been on back order for 10 months. SS also wasn't surprised. The rep I spoke with said I'm not the first one to call and ask where's my adapter?

If you have a TBAC can in jail and bought from Silencer Shop I suggest going to your dealer and put your hands on all the parts. There were a handful of other TBAC breaks from Silencer Shop at my dealer and none of them had the CB mount with the suppressor.

I got the call from the dealer yesterday, that four tax stamps came in. Below is the breakdown. What is encouraging to see is that one of my checks was cashed in August of last year and got approved sooner than expected. So hopefully, the wait times will start shrinking.

Date ATF Cashed my Check
# of days from Purchase to ATF Check Cashed
Date the Purchase Was Approved
# of Days from ATF Check to Approval Date
Date Tax Stamp Sent
Number of Days from ATF Check Cleared to Tax Stamp Sent
Date Tax Stamp Received
Number of Days from ATF Check Cleared to Date Tax Stamp Received
6/19/18​
11​
4/24/19​
309​
4/30/19​
315​
5/3/19​
318​
6/19/18​
11​
4/24/19​
309​
4/30/19​
315​
5/3/19​
318​
7/13/18​
11​
4/24/19​
285​
4/30/19​
291​
5/3/19​
294​
8/6/18​
17​
4/24/19​
261​
4/30/19​
267​
5/3/19​
270​

I got the call from the dealer yesterday, that four tax stamps came in. Below is the breakdown. What is encouraging to see is that one of my checks was cashed in August of last year and got approved sooner than expected. So hopefully, the wait times will start shrinking.

Date ATF Cashed my Check
Date Tax Stamp Sent
Date Tax Stamp Received
6/19/18​
11​
4/24/19​
309​
4/30/19​
315​
5/3/19​
318​
6/19/18​
11​
4/24/19​
309​
4/30/19​
315​
5/3/19​
318​
7/13/18​
11​
4/24/19​
285​
4/30/19​
291​
5/3/19​
294​
8/6/18​
17​
4/24/19​
261​
4/30/19​
267​
5/3/19​
270​
Awesome!

I wonder if by chance they all ended up at the same examiners desk and they just pushed the last 2 through when your fingerprints cleared from one of the first ones. Would be good if they do/did that.

I have 5 stamps from June 2018. When I called again yesterday I asked for the name of my examiners. 3 are with the same person and they other 2 are with 2 other examiners.

Awesome!

I wonder if by chance they all ended up at the same examiners desk and they just pushed the last 2 through when your fingerprints cleared from one of the first ones. Would be good if they do/did that.

I have 5 stamps from June 2018. When I called again yesterday I asked for the name of my examiners. 3 are with the same person and they other 2 are with 2 other examiners.

I just looked at the paperwork and all four were approved by the same Examiner.

I just looked at the paperwork and all four were approved by the same Examiner.
That’s encouraging. I have 3 in the system right now... hope they all end up at the same desk/timing also. 2 are at 7 months now. And the third a month behind them.

Reactions: Sierra770

Date ATF Cashed my Check
Date Tax Stamp Sent
Date Tax Stamp Received
6/19/18​
11​
4/24/19​
309​
4/30/19​
315​
5/3/19​
318​
6/19/18​
11​
4/24/19​
309​
4/30/19​
315​
5/3/19​
318​
7/13/18​
11​
4/24/19​
285​
4/30/19​
291​
5/3/19​
294​
8/6/18​
17​
4/24/19​
261​
4/30/19​
267​
5/3/19​
270​

Did you send them all in at the same time?
Check cashing is done by a bank (The Atlanta address previously and now the new Oregon address) and not always a good indicator of much of anything. The bank just pulls the checks, cashes them and forwards the forms and documents. If you sent them all in at once, then all your paperwork would have most likely been forwarded to the WV NFA office at the same time and the check cashing dates being different was just an anomaly.

Did you send them all in at the same time?
Check cashing is done by a bank (The Atlanta address previously and now the new Oregon address) and not always a good indicator of much of anything. The bank just pulls the checks, cashes them and forwards the forms and documents. If you sent them all in at once, then all your paperwork would have most likely been forwarded to the WV NFA office at the same time and the check cashing dates being different was just an anomaly.

First two were purchased on 6/8/18.
The third one was purchased on 7/2/18.
The fourth one was purchased on 7/20/18.

So I’m at Walmart watching the trend of self checkout rising as cashiers are less and I thought hey what a brilliant solution for the atf. They should fucking fire the phone receptionist and replace them with some automated robot like all other bullshit companies do.

Reactions: greg1147

Not so sure about that. The FBI actually processes those faster, same as when you get TSA Pre-check (which is actually an FBI background check). With a high level clearance, that's done in 1-3 business days (and typically, it's done the next business day).

I have an inkling that the time for all this has nothing to do with the background clearance, and more to do with the paperwork bureaucracy. The infamous subway sandwich making line, where every person has a single job. One person, and one person only, does the cheese. Another the bread. And so on. One person goes on vacation, and the whole process comes to a halt.