• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Frankford Arsenal 7.62/m80

rascaldog

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2008
London Ky.
I just picked up 700 rounds of this at a great deal. Anyone have any info on it. All I can find out is that the plant closed in 1977. Is it just plinking ammo? Reloadable? Any collector value? Thanks

Re: Frankford Arsenal 7.62/m80

I don't know about Frankfort Arsenal M80, but the Lake City M80 that I've got doesn't see to be much good for more than plinking (and the LC brass afterwards) I'm going to go play with it some more, but my groups with it were pretty awful.

Plinking - yes (practice offhand and sitting positions)
Reloadable - yes (primer pocket is crimped as with other ball ammo)
Collectible - no

Good luck

Jerry

M80 is standard ball ammo, i.e. it's what's issued to the Infantry troops for their M14's. Accurate enough for fire and maneuver warfare, it was never intended as match ammo. It's roughly the equivalent of Fed American Eagle, Rem/UMC, or Winchester white box in their 150gr loadings. Aside from the primer crimp it's basic goesbang/zombie ammo. Once the primer crimp is removed, do some basic case prep, and it's good (enough) brass. I have built match ammo from basic ball ammo brass, and as long as it's prep'ed OK, it's good ammo.

Greg