• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Freebore for 6mm creedmoor and Hornady factory ammo

ajridgedell

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2012
US
So I chambered and barrel in saami 6mm creedmoor .183 freebore for a friend. He went to load the Hornady 108 eldx ammo in it and apparently the factory loaded bullets are loaded about .137" too long for them to chamber. He does not want to hand load yet and I am concerned about cutting the throat that much longer for when he does reload it will be way too long of a freebore. Suggestions?? or workarounds? I havn't measured the hornady bullets but I derived a base of cartridge to ogive of 2.262 from the information I could get from hornady, Cartridge OAL and base to ogive of projectile and oal of projectile.

How much do you trust his measuring, because that is 100% dead wrong. .320 freebore required for a 6cm, not a chance. Thats the bearing surface length give or take for the 108.

edited: Any chance your saami reamer is actually zero freebore(by mistake)?

Your right the first numbers I got from hornady were incorrect. The second guy I talked to gave me a different number which would put me it having .010 jump if it was in fact a saami reamer. I rented the reamer from elk ridge and the drawing shows it should have been a saami reamer, unfortunately I don't have the reamer on hand anymore.

The .183 (saami) will accomdate the 115 dtac just fine, so it should swallow up a 108 no problem. Can you cast the chamber? That would pinpoint it. Im guessing there was a reamer mixup. You got the varmint reamer.

So apparently the reamer I received from elk ridge (reamerrental.com) was not a saami reamer like it is advertised. I am trying to contact them so we can figure the best option. But it looks like I'll have to use a throat reamer.

I am in this same boat and believe my problem is the throat diameter is too small creating an effect of hitting lands short. GS ran a uni throater in but OAL at ogive wasn't changing. Now I'm looking at setting the barrel back and recutting chamber with another reamer as the throat is most likely too long now. Might be something to check before throating

Just to update... They sent me a 6mm throater with me only paying return shipping, I got it throated to 10 to 15 thou jump and it shoots the hornady ammo .5 moa so gtg now.